MSMPokeGamer

Game Maker
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Hi, I would like to make a link to my game via dropbox, but don't know how to. I Have The index.html file but when I upload it, it never works inside dropbox. when I double click it however, It works fine. 

Thanks again, I left the image of the files i was given, as an attached file :)

Screen Shot 2016-03-12 at 19.28.08.png

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
You need the entire folder and not only the index.html for the game - but dropbox is a very bad hoster to play your game on the web. It's a filesharer, and a limited on top of that - which means it is not optimized for web display and additionally, even if you play the game there, it will count against your transfer limits and shutdown your entire access if the limit is passed.

Better use a true webhoster that allows you to upload a website there, that will be perfect for a HTML game.

AceOfAces_Mod

Engineering to infinity!
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Greek
Primarily Uses
RMMV
It's better to host it in a site (say, Gamejolt) rather than Dropbox since a) you may have to pay to be able to access direct urls and b. it may cause issues.

MSMPokeGamer

Game Maker
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
It's better to host it in a site (say, Gamejolt) rather than Dropbox since a) you may have to pay to be able to access direct urls and b. it may cause issues.

How Do I Upload To Gamejolt? 

AceOfAces_Mod

Engineering to infinity!
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Greek
Primarily Uses
RMMV
How Do I Upload To Gamejolt? 

After you make a developer account and added the game, do this:

1. Select Builds and Files and Add Package:

Spoiler

KR7x6cj.png

Name the package, in case you upload multiple files. Click add package button on the bottom.

2. Add a new release:

Spoiler

emgLm1k.png

Set a version for the release (say 1.0.0-web). Click on the Add Release/Save Release.

Spoiler

UZmBamg.png

3. Click New Build. Select Browser and select HTML5. Upload the game as an archive (.zip file).:

Spoiler

44yN4OS.png

(Make sure that you only uploaded the files from the www folder.)

Set the resolution (width and height) and click on the upload build.

After uploading, it should work.

Make sure to set up the game's page before releasing it to the public.

Last edited by a moderator:

Milkdud

Procrastinator Extraordinaire
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV

I've used Dropbox for years with it installed on my computer (and laptop) and never ran into any such issues.

@MSMPokeGamer if you haven't, try installing the Dropbox client onto your computer and just place your game files into the folder on your computer, thus eliminating any need for websites.

Last edited by a moderator:

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I've used Dropbox for years with it installed on my computer (and laptop) and never ran into any such issues.

How many other people have you download your files from dropbox?

There was a time when several scripters of this community tried to use dropbox for distributing their scripts. A few months later, dropbox blocked their access due to traffic being beyond the allowed limit. Simply because too many thousand people in this community downloaded from there.

And playing uses up a lot more traffic bandwidth than just downloading scripts...

AceOfAces_Mod

Engineering to infinity!
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Greek
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Adding up to what @Andar said, you can customise the features of a website, while Dropbox does not. On itch.io, you have the option to open community forums for the game (which is pretty useful, depending on how you'll use it).

Milkdud

Procrastinator Extraordinaire
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Andar @AceOfAces_Mod I'm under the impression he's using it for personal use, not uploading it for other people to download. Obviously he's going to run into issues such as what Andar stated. But like I said, I've never run into any issues with Dropbox installed on my computer for the past five years I've used it for personal (RPG Maker-wise) use.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Redesigning characters after such a long time feels great. Makes me excited to work on an old game again.
Phone menu to replace main menu WIP:
It's been that long since I wrote a plugin, it took me 4 attempts to realize it's != rather than #. In a 40-line plugin, 20 of those lines being documentation!
Disk Check Plugin - Running on Linux:
RMMV-Game-Mint.png
workin on some graphics for my game. was originally planning on doing a cartoony style for the town but I might stick with this instead

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
will-o-wistful