HeroicJay

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I am also seeing lag.  In particular, on my world map, where there are a lot of the animated sea tiles.  

My system info:

OS Name Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

Version 10.0.10240 Build 10240

Other OS Description Not Available

OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation

System Name MEGABOX

System Manufacturer ASUS

System Model All Series

System Type x64-based PC

System SKU All

Processor Intel® Core i7-4790K CPU @ 4.00GHz, 4001 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s)

BIOS Version/Date American Megatrends Inc. 2507, 10/9/2014

SMBIOS Version 2.8

Embedded Controller Version 255.255

BIOS Mode Legacy

BaseBoard Manufacturer ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC.

BaseBoard Model Not Available

BaseBoard Name Base Board

Platform Role Desktop

Secure Boot State Unsupported

PCR7 Configuration Binding Not Possible

Windows Directory C:\WINDOWS

System Directory C:\WINDOWS\system32

Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume2

Locale United States

Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "10.0.10240.16392"

User Name MegaBox\cpetit

Time Zone Eastern Daylight Time

Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 16.0 GB

Total Physical Memory 15.9 GB

Available Physical Memory 11.1 GB

Total Virtual Memory 31.9 GB

Available Virtual Memory 26.0 GB

Page File Space 16.0 GB

Page File C:\pagefile.sys

Hyper-V - VM Monitor Mode Extensions Yes

Hyper-V - Second Level Address Translation Extensions Yes

Hyper-V - Virtualization Enabled in Firmware No

Hyper-V - Data Execution Protection Yes

And my video card:

Name NVIDIA GeForce GTX 650

PNP Device ID PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0FC6&SUBSYS_8A961462&REV_A1\4&3834D97&0&0008

Adapter Type GeForce GTX 650, NVIDIA compatible

Adapter Description NVIDIA GeForce GTX 650

Adapter RAM (2,147,483,648) bytes

Installed Drivers nvd3dumx.dll,nvwgf2umx.dll,nvwgf2umx.dll,nvwgf2umx.dll,nvd3dum,nvwgf2um,nvwgf2um,nvwgf2um

Driver Version 10.18.13.5582

INF File oem120.inf (Section009 section)

Color Planes Not Available

Color Table Entries 4294967296

Resolution 1920 x 1080 x 60 hertz

Bits/Pixel 32

Memory Address 0xF6000000-0xF6FFFFFF

Memory Address 0xE8000000-0xEFFFFFFF

Memory Address 0xF0000000-0xF1FFFFFF

I/O Port 0x0000E000-0x0000E07F

IRQ Channel IRQ 16

I/O Port 0x000003B0-0x000003BB

I/O Port 0x000003C0-0x000003DF

Memory Address 0xA0000-0xBFFFF

Driver c:\windows\system32\drivers\nvlddmkm.sys (10.18.13.5582, 10.67 MB (11,188,880 bytes), 7/29/2015 5:25 PM)

It seems like, when the animated tile changes (probably requiring a full screen redraw) is exactly when I see the lag happen.   I can see my party moving smoothly across the map, but each time the tiles change is when I see the party stutter.
Different graphics card, but this is exactly what I see. It's noticeable when you're in a vehicle; basically a non-issue when the player is on foot. It's not unplayable, but it's still definitely noticeable. And my Open-GL-friendly graphics card has the latest driver, the package.json fix didn't work, and I'm not even on a laptop.

Kane Hart

Elmlor.com
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
I wonder if recompiling the editor with the latest QT might help improve the performance. There is quite lot of small performance tweaks it might help. 

Archeia

Level 99 Demi-fiend
Developer
Reaction score
First Language
Filipino
Primarily Uses
VNM
Different graphics card, but this is exactly what I see. It's noticeable when you're in a vehicle; basically a non-issue when the player is on foot. It's not unplayable, but it's still definitely noticeable. And my Open-GL-friendly graphics card has the latest driver, the package.json fix didn't work, and I'm not even on a laptop.
For the water autotiles, they're a completely different beast of their own. So let's just limit this thread for now on editor/normal test play. It's the way RM draws tiles. (I reported this during early beta 0.4.0)

KDKW couldn't replicate it back then but now with this overwhelming amount of users having the same problem, they'll have to do it differently.

KisaiTenshi

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
And now I removed all traces of Playtest lag.

It's fine if I playtest in the browser with this guide: http://forums.rpgmakerweb.com/index.php?/topic/46939-are-you-using-an-ide/?p=469947

If you type http://localhost/?test then it loads in test mode with Debug options.
That's because you're playing it in Firefox. You can actually just open the index.html in firefox and it will play as well without the need to install a web server on the local machine. It's Chrome that requires either setting the allow-file-access-from-files flag, or running from a web server.

RandomFactor

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Ok, giant slabs of water autotiles aside, I am still getting "The Lag" in the editor. I even used the ignore GPU blacklist option, which obviously made no difference for my GPU. And seeing as how I have one of the beefier computers around here, this is definitely not performance-related. Everything on my system is updated - I even updated my UEFI about a week ago. So now I am patiently waiting for patches and such. :)

As a reminder, my specs:

Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit

Core i5-4790K OC'ed @ 4 GHz

16 GB DDR3-1866

ASRock Z97 Pro4 motherboard

Radeon R9 280 3 GB GDDR5

512 GB Crucial MX100 SSD

+ 1 TB WD Black

+ 2 TB WD Green

24" HP ZR24w @ 1920 x 1200 (via DisplayPort)

+ 19" LG L1953H @ 1280 x 1024 (via DVI-D)

Corsair CX750M power supply

Other than "The Lag", I LOVE the improvements that MV brought to the table! This will definitely be my editor of choice once I get resources ported over. The HTML5 support is pure genius!

Kane Hart

Elmlor.com
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Ok, giant slabs of water autotiles aside, I am still getting "The Lag" in the editor. I even used the ignore GPU blacklist option, which obviously made no difference for my GPU. And seeing as how I have one of the beefier computers around here, this is definitely not performance-related. Everything on my system is updated - I even updated my UEFI about a week ago. So now I am patiently waiting for patches and such. :)

As a reminder, my specs:

Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit

Core i5-4790K OC'ed @ 4 GHz

16 GB DDR3-1866

ASRock Z97 Pro4 motherboard

Radeon R9 280 3 GB GDDR5

512 GB Crucial MX100 SSD

+ 1 TB WD Black

+ 2 TB WD Green

24" HP ZR24w @ 1920 x 1200 (via DisplayPort)

+ 19" LG L1953H @ 1280 x 1024 (via DVI-D)

Corsair CX750M power supply

Other than "The Lag", I LOVE the improvements that MV brought to the table! This will definitely be my editor of choice once I get resources ported over. The HTML5 support is pure genius!
I might be wrong but the ingore gpu blacklist was for the game outside the editor not the editor. 

RandomFactor

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Yep. I just did it for the play-testing.

MaxLionheart

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
For the water autotiles, they're a completely different beast of their own. So let's just limit this thread for now on editor/normal test play. It's the way RM draws tiles. (I reported this during early beta 0.4.0)

KDKW couldn't replicate it back then but now with this overwhelming amount of users having the same problem, they'll have to do it differently.
Ok, I understand your point, but should we make another thread just for autotiles? I get the feeling it's a very important problem with the program atm...

djDarkX

Retro & Remastered Music Guru
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Music
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Editing the json showed improvement.  It's pretty jittery when loading some animations, but it worked better for others.  Guess my card just does what it wants.  At least I saw some improvement. lol

Thanks for the solutions!

Last edited by a moderator:

RedAkerston

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Just going to put in my experience here.

Running an HP Elitebook 8440p from about 2009.

Lag is so bad it is basically non-operable.

I'll see what i can do but it is looking like i will need a new computer for this...

Kane Hart

Elmlor.com
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Just going to put in my experience here.

Running an HP Elitebook 8440p from about 2009.

Lag is so bad it is basically non-operable.

I'll see what i can do but it is looking like i will need a new computer for this...
I would not go out buying a new PC yet... This is RPG Maker if it requires a new PC from 2009 then I expect dx12 support :p

In a couple months people will be rewriting parts of the client. 

RedAkerston

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
I would not go out buying a new PC yet... This is RPG Maker if it requires a new PC from 2009 then I expect dx12 support :p

Editing the json actually DECREASED my performance.

Updated drivers. No increase.

Editor lag is marginal.

Test play is a mess, and i'm using minimal size maps with no other effects. 720p resolution.

Also getting a delay before any music track starts.

One thing i do notice is that the larger the size of files needed to load on a map, the worse the lag.

eg: If my music track is 30 megs, the game lags far worse than if the music track is 10 megs.

Also, after attempting playtest, it takes my computer about 10 minutes to recover before i can use it for anything else...

This isn't a terrible machine here ...

Intel® Core i5 CPU M 520 @ 2.40GHz

3gigs RAM

Direct X 11

Windows 7

Kane Hart

Elmlor.com
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Editing the json actually DECREASED my performance.

Updated drivers. No increase.

Editor lag is marginal.

Test play is a mess, and i'm using minimal size maps with no other effects. 720p resolution.

Also getting a delay before any music track starts.

One thing i do notice is that the larger the size of files needed to load on a map, the worse the lag.

eg: If my music track is 30 megs, the game lags far worse than if the music track is 10 megs.

Also, after attempting playtest, it takes my computer about 10 minutes to recover before i can use it for anything else...

This isn't a terrible machine here ...

Intel® Core i5 CPU M 520 @ 2.40GHz

3gigs RAM

Direct X 11

Windows 7
When you are in the game would you mind hitting F2 key and print screen while in the game world? with that fps/display info up. 

KisaiTenshi

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score

No they won't, and not happening. If you can't get good performance out of RPG Maker MV, then the only alternative today is to re-implement the game engine in Unity (since it also supports javascript.) The only gain to be had in doing so would be getting it on game consoles for native performance.

You are not going to see native DirectX12/Metal/Vulkan game client. If the developers decide to write yet a new game client/editor it's going to be a new product. This product is literately marketed as "HTML5", and while it's a huge improvement over VX/VX Ace in terms of distributing games that can be played on anything, it also has a few drawbacks in that no two computers will have equal performance. A VX/VX Ace game can be played on a Windows XP machine with 64MB of RAM if needed. An MV game requires a viable HTML5 platform, and not all devices are. Like to give an extreme example, I once had an argument with someone who thought a Raspberry Pi device was at equal performance with a Intel desktop processor just because Minecraft was available for both. Just because you can play it on X device doesn't mean you're going to enjoy doing so.

I have what was essentially a top-of-the-line machine for 2013. It works fine. That is not the average system. The average system is a 2.3Ghz dual-core with Intel HD 4400/4000/3000/2000 Graphics (eg laptops) and 8GB RAM running Windows 7 64-bit. The next most popular are quad-core's, GTX 970 and GTX 760 and Windows 10 64-bit. Only 64% of people have DX12-capable systems, so that means 36% of the people out there playing games today on their computer would not be able to take advantage of a DX12 game.

Anyway, at best, Kadokawa, may make some trivial changes to avoid updating tiles that aren't on-screen. That seems like an optimization, not a rewrite.

Kane Hart

Elmlor.com
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
No they won't, and not happening. If you can't get good performance out of RPG Maker MV, then the only alternative today is to re-implement the game engine in Unity (since it also supports javascript.) The only gain to be had in doing so would be getting it on game consoles for native performance.

You are not going to see native DirectX12/Metal/Vulkan game client. If the developers decide to write yet a new game client/editor it's going to be a new product. This product is literately marketed as "HTML5", and while it's a huge improvement over VX/VX Ace in terms of distributing games that can be played on anything, it also has a few drawbacks in that no two computers will have equal performance. A VX/VX Ace game can be played on a Windows XP machine with 64MB of RAM if needed. An MV game requires a viable HTML5 platform, and not all devices are. Like to give an extreme example, I once had an argument with someone who thought a Raspberry Pi device was at equal performance with a Intel desktop processor just because Minecraft was available for both. Just because you can play it on X device doesn't mean you're going to enjoy doing so.

I have what was essentially a top-of-the-line machine for 2013. It works fine. That is not the average system. The average system is a 2.3Ghz dual-core with Intel HD 4400/4000/3000/2000 Graphics (eg laptops) and 8GB RAM running Windows 7 64-bit. The next most popular are quad-core's, GTX 970 and GTX 760 and Windows 10 64-bit. Only 64% of people have DX12-capable systems, so that means 36% of the people out there playing games today on their computer would not be able to take advantage of a DX12 game.

Anyway, at best, Kadokawa, may make some trivial changes to avoid updating tiles that aren't on-screen. That seems like an optimization, not a rewrite.
You were so taking this post of mine out of context...

RedAkerston

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
When you are in the game would you mind hitting F2 key and print screen while in the game world? with that fps/display info up. 
Here you go. :)

Basically, it lags mega hard for about 10-15 seconds at 2-4fps. Every time i enter a new map.

Then it recovers, and when standing still i get around 25-35fps.

When i try to walk i get around 10-25fps.

Long menu lag.

If i add any weather effects the whole thing just dies.

And this is on a single screen map.

TestScreen.png

Kane Hart

Elmlor.com
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Here you go. :)

Basically, it lags mega hard for about 10-15 seconds at 2-4fps. Every time i enter a new map.

Then it recovers, and when standing still i get around 25-35fps.

When i try to walk i get around 10-25fps.

Long menu lag.

If i add any weather effects the whole thing just dies.

And this is on a single screen map.
Webgl interesting. This person also having the exact same issue:

http://forums.rpgmakerweb.com/index.php?/topic/47125-why-does-rpg-maker-mv-start-to-flash-sometimes-and-more/

KisaiTenshi

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
You were so taking this post of mine out of context...
Because the thread is labeled "lag solution"

Unless the developers say otherwise, it should be assumed that we have to solve any lag problems ourselves.

Kane Hart

Elmlor.com
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Because the thread is labeled "lag solution"

Unless the developers say otherwise, it should be assumed that we have to solve any lag problems ourselves.
Why did I say people would rewrite parts of it? I did not mean the devs...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

Today I learned that George Washington was not the first president of my country, and that there were technically over a dozen presidents before him. My own ignorance astounds me, I mean it always does but the sheer scope of this revelation astounds me. I guess George Santayana really was quite astute when he said:
Currently enjoying FF7 Remake :biggrin:
Day 753: I think im just about ready to finish the planning stage of my game creation and actually start to make it :0
I usually don't enjoy survival games, but I absolutely love Conan Exiles.
Basically Everyone: Dont make a long game the first time. Me: I guess i'll make a REALLY long game in that case >:p

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aonololita