Syndicate

Pandora Network
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
MINING, SMELTING & SYNTHESIS OF ITEMS

Would you like to roam around and mine nodes around your world? Perhaps then you'd like to smelt that ore into bars, and then create some legendary weapons and items? This is a method in which you can do all of the above! No plugin or javascript needed, it's all done through the events of the core RPG MV engine!

This was quite fun to event. I've attached the download link to the project folder which is unencrypted for you to view how everything was done, and to learn of course!

CREDITS

Newgrounds Audio Portal

cellicom: http://forums.rpgmakerweb.com/index.php?/topic/49515-cellicoms-rarity-item-color-system/

DOWNLOAD / 155MB

https://docs.google.com/uc?id=0B_qcNxnoCpuPYmRXQ2xINmJqYVU&export=download

Last edited:

highlord90

Aspiring Creator
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Any chance of the ore being able to re spawn?

Azaarious

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
The idea of controlling a switch just to check something then going back is something I hadn't thought of. I love the ideas behind this and the mining and synth stuff is awesome too. Thank you much for the informative tutorial!

Syndicate

Pandora Network
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Highlord - yes! You can control the variable (Node 1 or whatever) and set it back to 0 for it to respawn. You may need to slightly alter the method of the ore breaking though. If you view my fishing tutorial, you'll be able to see how I reset the fishing spots, you can then essentially make it an ore via that.

http://forums.rpgmakerweb.com/index.php?/blog/183/entry-792-rpg-maker-mv-fishing/

Nearer the end of that tutorial during the fishing in map demo :) Hope that helps.

Thanks Azaarious! Appreciate that a lot, glad it inspired. Have fun RPG making!

highlord90

Aspiring Creator
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I managed to rustle up my own event. In my game it runs with a very rough day and night event, when you sleep it becomes day time and when you leave a dungeon it becomes night and you cant do any dungeons at night.

When you enter a dungeon it turns on a switch which activates a parallel event in the dungeon that applies a -5 to the mining variable you set nodes and turns off switches A and B allowing the node to reset. The only issue is if u dont mine all the ore in one go the next time you come in u'll have 5 more chances to mine on every node xD

Syndicate

Pandora Network
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Brilliant! Well done :) Sounds great ^_^

Noobk

Boo-Boo'Da'Foo
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
So first thanks for the cool simple code, great job in your video explaining things. I'm new to the RPG Maker software so I'm learning a lot of the basic stuff (and banging my head against stupid mistakes of course!) I included the mining part of your code in verbatim and now i'm working on the crafting/smelting side of things. I'm attempting to modify some of the code for smelting.

What I'm trying to do is have the code read if the player has 2 ore. I attempted using variables to see if the player had 2 ore in their inventory. The problem/realization I ran into was the variables are considered a separate thing from items. If I make a variable that says copper ore, that in no way relates to the actual item copper ore.

I have two nested conditional branches, the first one checks if the player has the item Iron Ore, the second one though checks the variable Iron Ore and if it's equal to 2. Now this does not work because for reasons I stated above. The variable (second branch) and item (first branch) have nothing to do with each other as I have learned. When I set the first branch though it only checks to see if the player has Iron Ore, not a set amount of it, which is why I thought I needed that second one to check the variable. 

I have gone about this  different way just by removing that second branch, but then it well just let me step through the code and it does not care about how much ore the player has. As long as I have one it will give me one bar.

So the question is how do I need to check for multiple items for a condition to be considered true or false?

Below is a screen shot of the BAD code that I'm currently toying with.

T4jNrbf.png
Thanks in advance as always for any help! This stuff just reminds me of the Elder Scrolls series and the resource grind for the cool stuff. I quickly gravitated to it, wanting to use this to learn how some of the event code works.

Syndicate

Pandora Network
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Hi Noobk thanks for your post! I think what you're trying to do (if I understand correctly), is included in this demo ^_^ Basically, you want the code to check the player has a sufficient quantity before proceeding. In this case, it's Copper Ore.

In the event included in the demo, I do this with the Copper Bars.

Screenshot:

lktAAXk.jpg
First thing you need to do is declare the item in question and store it as a variable. We do this with Copper Bar and save it to variable #6 "Copper Bar Count".

Then, we do exactly as you have here, you were on the right lines! You then just branch out a call for "If Copper Bar Count > (or equal to) 2". You call the variable you see? As it is storing the quantity of the items in the party ^_^

I hope that helps?

Best!

Syn.

Noobk

Boo-Boo'Da'Foo
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Yes sir! That's exactly what I missed was that control variable. When I went back through the video to look at your code I must have skipped over it. Thank you very much for the help! I ran into a new bug though which is on my end. I had wrote over some of the old item data I input when I was trying to put things in order and it's giving me iron bars instead of copper bars, I just need to re-link everything now to the proper items to fix what gets removed and added. Thank you for the help again sir! I'll be moving onto your fishing tutorial once I get the hang of this one.

Edit: A picture of the correct code for future reference if anybody comes across this.

WXk3iiH.png

Last edited by a moderator:

Syndicate

Pandora Network
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Brilliant, no problem at all. Glad I could help and that you learned something :)

Yeah it's a bit fiddly sometimes to get everything in the right order, but once you master it it becomes second nature!

All the best. I'll be doing more tutorials soon I hope! Check out and subscribe to my blog and youtube channel if you are interested :)

Best regards!

YvetteJene

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Hi Syndicate-- Thank you for uploading this tutorial, I was looking everywhere for one. I ended up using it as a springboard to make a different kind of gathering system, however--One without using countdown variables for each node. I tend to dislike using variables because I can get disorganized very quickly if I have too many nodes in different maps. Instead, I used self switches. If there are others out there like me who would rather go without using variable countdowns, would it be alright if I released my own tutorial and credited you for the initial concept? If you like, I can whip up a demo and show you what I mean before I do. Let me know what you think. :]

Syndicate

Pandora Network
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Hi Yvette! Thanks for your comments! Glad to see you learned something, and better yet - made it your own! Cool to see you manipulate this and make it work for your project. Please do feel free to tutorial this up, the more methods the better for this wonderful RPG maker community :) All the best with your game and I look forward to reading your tutorial when released :) all the best!

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

Really hard to let go of a pet.
Switch actor positions during battle
Download
01010.PNG
SF_People3_1 added!
index.php

Micro rant. The worst part of working from home when you live with your family is seeing how inconsiderate they are. "Hey, you're sitting in front of your computer, that means you're not doing anything! I want to put the TV at 200 decibels!"

If I was working in the office would you still talking me like that?
It's definitely discouraging when streamers give a try-to-say-it-nicely (i.e. bad) review of your game demo. It's like jumping into a cold pool. Bad initally, but it gets better with time. And you are now more alert and see better.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SangueXII