(RPG MAKER MV) More than 4 characters walking?

NASTY-DOCTOR

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
Italian
Primarily Uses
RMMV
As the title says, I would need to have more than 4 characters on-screen! Most of the threads I found involve the fighting parts of the game - however, mine does not include fighting as of now

Technically, it's only 3 characters walking, but since the sprites in my game are bigger than normal, I need to put an invisible sprite between, or else it would look... quite unappealing

There's an invisible sprite between the first and second character, but due to the 4 character limit, there's not an invisible sprite between the second and third character ... and I think it looks kind of ugly, there's this weird spacing problem and the player would not be able to see the third character's face

Is there a way to fix this? Thank you in case!

Soulrender

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Poland
Primarily Uses
RMMV
You will need either Yanfly's Party System
or edit function by yourself to get more visible followers, give me 5 mins and I show you wich one.

Edit: because this plugin is paid then I give you my edit, save it as plugin and add to project and finally edit maximum variable to your likings (replace X with your number)

Code:
Game_Followers.prototype.initialize = function() {
    this._visible = $dataSystem.optFollowers;
    this._gathering = false;
    this._data = [];
    var maximum = x || $gameParty.maxBattleMembers();
    for (var i = 1; i < maximum; i++) {
        this._data.push(new Game_Follower(i));
    }
};

Last edited:

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
there is one thing that you need to check when using any plugin to change the number of followers:

the number of actors is at the same time the number of battlemembers by default.

a lot of plugin that change the number also change the other effect, it takes a rewrite of the default engine to change one without changing the other. And adding invisible party members can add invisible battlers as well.

there are plugins that allow a different number of followers without changing battlemembers, but you need to specifically look for them, especially if you want to pad your party with invisible members.

NASTY-DOCTOR

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
Italian
Primarily Uses
RMMV
You will need either Yanfly's Party System
or edit function by yourself to get more visible followers, give me 5 mins and I show you wich one.

Edit: because this plugin is paid then I give you my edit, save it as plugin and add to project and finally edit maximum variable to your likings (replace X with your number)

Code:
Game_Followers.prototype.initialize = function() {
    this._visible = $dataSystem.optFollowers;
    this._gathering = false;
    this._data = [];
    var maximum = x || $gameParty.maxBattleMembers();
    for (var i = 1; i < maximum; i++) {
        this._data.push(new Game_Follower(i));
    }
};
I took your code, saved it as .js, changed the X to a number, saved it in the plugin folder, and turned the plugin on! However, it doesn't seem to work for some reason? There must be something I'm missing :-(

there is one thing that you need to check when using any plugin to change the number of followers:

the number of actors is at the same time the number of battlemembers by default.

a lot of plugin that change the number also change the other effect, it takes a rewrite of the default engine to change one without changing the other. And adding invisible party members can add invisible battlers as well.

there are plugins that allow a different number of followers without changing battlemembers, but you need to specifically look for them, especially if you want to pad your party with invisible members.
The game currently has no battles, but in case it will - wouldn't I be able to fix that by removing the invisible characters in the event before the battle happens, and then adding them back once the battle is done? But then again, I never touched battle stuff so I have 0 knowledge on this

Silva

Scoobityboo
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
The issue is based exactly on what Andar has already said. Followers are based on battle members by default, you need to address that behaviour as well as the maximum number of followers.

Code:
Game_Follower.prototype.actor = function() {
    return $gameParty.battleMembers()[this._memberIndex];
};
This is the original code for deciding which actor to show in each follower slot. So having 4 follower spaces (+leader) and only 4 battle members means that the last follower slot has no one to fill it. You may have some luck changing $gameParty.battleMembers() to $gameParty.allMembers() and adding the function to the bottom of the js file you created with Soulrender's code. There may be other instances of this problem at play here though so it's probably worth trying to find a plugin that's designed to do this already.

NASTY-DOCTOR

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
Italian
Primarily Uses
RMMV
The issue is based exactly on what Andar has already said. Followers are based on battle members by default, you need to address that behaviour as well as the maximum number of followers.

Code:
Game_Follower.prototype.actor = function() {
    return $gameParty.battleMembers()[this._memberIndex];
};
This is the original code for deciding which actor to show in each follower slot. So having 4 follower spaces (+leader) and only 4 battle members means that the last follower slot has no one to fill it. You may have some luck changing $gameParty.battleMembers() to $gameParty.allMembers() and adding the function to the bottom of the js file you created with Soulrender's code. There may be other instances of this problem at play here though so it's probably worth trying to find a plugin that's designed to do this already.
I tried changing $gameParty.battleMembers() to $gameParty.allMembers() but that didn't change much either, I should probably wait for Soulrender's response or find a plugin! I could buy YEP's plugin because I think it's like 1$, but I have a "what if it doesn't work and I wasted money?" fear that is keeping me from doing so :-(

Eliaquim

Raze: The Rakuen Zero's Guardian!
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese - Br
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hi!
@NASTY-DOCTOR try my plugin and see if works. If yes, I can make a patch with only this feature.
If I remember well, I think I made it someway that the number of followers is independent of party members.

Kes

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA

I've moved this thread to JS Plugin Requests. Please be sure to post your threads in the correct forum next time. Thank you.

NASTY-DOCTOR

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
Italian
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hi!
@NASTY-DOCTOR try my plugin and see if works. If yes, I can make a patch with only this feature.
If I remember well, I think I made it someway that the number of followers is independent of party members.
I tried installing your plugin! But it does not seem to work for some reason, I also tried the "no blur" setting for the menu (which I didn't know I needed til I saw it) but that doesn't work either, here's what I did:

But there might be something I'm missing - the description in the plugin says "the number of followers cannot be changed mid-game, only in the beginning via parameters.", but I'm not exactly sure what that means (I'm a bit new to this)

Also sorry about posting in the wrong forum! I still have some issues navigating the whole thing ... oof

Eliaquim

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese - Br
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I tried installing your plugin! But it does not seem to work for some reason, I also tried the "no blur" setting for the menu (which I didn't know I needed til I saw it) but that doesn't work either, here's what I did:

But there might be something I'm missing - the description in the plugin says "the number of followers cannot be changed mid-game, only in the beginning via parameters.", but I'm not exactly sure what that means (I'm a bit new to this)

Also sorry about posting in the wrong forum! I still have some issues navigating the whole thing ... oof
In the followers parameter you have to put false to change the number of allies that will follow you.

NASTY-DOCTOR

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
Italian
Primarily Uses
RMMV
In the followers parameter you have to put false to change the number of allies that will follow you.
Done! ... but it still doesn't work unfortunately :-(

Eliaquim

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese - Br
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Done! ... but it still doesn't work unfortunately :-(
That is strange. I tested here, and everything works fine. Do you have any plugins that do the same thing or related to followers and battlers active?
Because maybe it's a compatibility issue.

NASTY-DOCTOR

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
Italian
Primarily Uses
RMMV
That is strange. I tested here, and everything works fine. Do you have any plugins that do the same thing or related to followers and battlers active?
Because maybe it's a compatibility issue.

I'm not exactly sure, here are my plugins! I'm about to go to sleep so I'll be checking tomorrow/in a couple of days if there is anything related to followers/battlers

Eliaquim

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese - Br
Primarily Uses
RMMV

I'm not exactly sure, here are my plugins! I'm about to go to sleep so I'll be checking tomorrow/in a couple of days if there is anything related to followers/battlers
I tried that again. It seems that it is the same as the other answers. If you want to have 6 followers, you have to raise the max battle members to 6 too.
The max number of followers can't be higher than the battlers.
So if you want 10 followers, put 10 battlers. Otherwise, I don't know how to help you.
(I have a slight impression that I don't understand your request correctly... xD Sorry about that)

Silva

Scoobityboo
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@NASTY-DOCTOR Just out of curiosity, are you creating a new game to test these or are you continuing an old save?

If you're continuing an old save it's unlikely that any of these plugins will change anything because the number of followers is initialised when a new game is created. Changing the amount of followers after the game is created requires a different approach than the above solutions.

NASTY-DOCTOR

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
Italian
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I tried that again. It seems that it is the same as the other answers. If you want to have 6 followers, you have to raise the max battle members to 6 too.
The max number of followers can't be higher than the battlers.
So if you want 10 followers, put 10 battlers. Otherwise, I don't know how to help you.
(I have a slight impression that I don't understand your request correctly... xD Sorry about that)
I'm starting to think that maybe there's something wrong with my procedure? D:
It seems like it's not compatibility issues with my game, since I tried testing this on a new test project. I recorded my procedure so it's easier to spot where I'm being dumb:

NASTY-DOCTOR

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
Italian
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@NASTY-DOCTOR Just out of curiosity, are you creating a new game to test these or are you continuing an old save?

If you're continuing an old save it's unlikely that any of these plugins will change anything because the number of followers is initialised when a new game is created. Changing the amount of followers after the game is created requires a different approach than the above solutions.
I've been playing from my full project and tried from both "continue" and "start", is the follower number initialised as soon as the project is created or as soon as the game is started?

Silva

Scoobityboo
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
It's initialised when you create a new game (around 0:35 in your video).

I'm not aware of how @Eliaquim plugin works but it appears you still have followers set to false so is probably why you're not seeing any new followers. Can you try setting this to true in your test project and testing this again?

EDIT: Ignore the last paragraph, I think I've misunderstood Eliaquims previous statement.

NASTY-DOCTOR

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
Italian
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I think I might try to buy Yanfly's Party System at this point - but I would appreciate it a lot if someone could tell me how to use it! Maybe through screenshots or a small video? Thank you a lot in case, I'm sorry for keeping this thing still up haha

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Can't wait for the next Sonichu
Birdhouses are usually made of wood. Birds typically live in trees. Trees are wood. Birdhouses are made of birdhouses.
He just discovered cellphones...

(I don't know why am I drawing so much these days...)
In medieval times, a common way to eat food was upon edible plates, which were made of bread, called trenchers.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ragnamano