Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Is there a tileset template for MV?
for which of the six different tilesheet formats?

It's usually easier to take an existing tilesheet and only replace some tiles with other tiles of the same type, because the position of a tile determines how large and how structured it has to be.

For example, a tilesheet in the A4 format contains both wall autotiles (96x96 pixel) and regular autotiles (96x144 pixel), but cannot hold regular tiles (48x48 pixel) or animated autotiles (288x144 pixel).

And if you want to create autotiles yourself, that is NOT easy - there are several tutorials about autotile creation on the official blog.

LizzyLiz

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I just want to know which tileset so I can make my own custom tiles such as OFF's tileset.

I still can't figure out how to make a tileset or even find a template for tilset.

1582823256753.png

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I still can't figure out how to make a tileset
Please work through this tutorial:
(the MV autotiles have identical structure and are just a bit larger, with the quartertile being 24x24 pixel instead of 16x16 pixels.
Without understanding that, no template will ever be able to help you create a tileset, because you cannot create autotiles from a template alone.

LizzyLiz

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Please work through this tutorial:
(the MV autotiles have identical structure and are just a bit larger, with the quartertile being 24x24 pixel instead of 16x16 pixels.
Without understanding that, no template will ever be able to help you create a tileset, because you cannot create autotiles from a template alone.

I hope this tutorial show me that mentions MV. I hope...

I did found this for MV

1582843326057.png

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I hope this tutorial show me that mentions MV.
As I mentioned you need to replace the pixel numbers - that is the only difference between Ace and MV, but it is NOT mentioned in the tutorial because the tutorial is older than MV. That is why I mentioned it when giving the link

I did found this for MV
and that template won't help you until you know what the different shaded parts of each single autotile mean.
Beause every blue part in the top left edge together is one tile, then every green part together next to it is another single autotile and so on.
And it is only one tilesheet format (the one for A2 tiles), the tilesheets A1, A3, A4 and A5 have a different structure.

LizzyLiz

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
As I mentioned you need to replace the pixel numbers - that is the only difference between Ace and MV, but it is NOT mentioned in the tutorial because the tutorial is older than MV. That is why I mentioned it when giving the link

and that template won't help you until you know what the different shaded parts of each single autotile mean.
Beause every blue part in the top left edge together is one tile, then every green part together next to it is another single autotile and so on.
And it is only one tilesheet format (the one for A2 tiles), the tilesheets A1, A3, A4 and A5 have a different structure.

Sorry, I still to this day how it works, and all it did was give me more questions than answers

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
and all it did was give me more questions than answers
Then ask those specific questions. Link or copy the specific sentence in the tutorial that you don't understand, and tell us what of it you don't understand, and then we can help.

PARCB

GAN's Professor
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
This database is meant to be on Base Resources DLC folder if you have Steam version, isn't it?
May it change if you have Steam Version from Spain? Or if its the newest version?
I can't find the templates...

palatkorn

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
thai
Primarily Uses
RMMV
This database is meant to be on Base Resources DLC folder if you have Steam version, isn't it?
May it change if you have Steam Version from Spain? Or if its the newest version?
I can't find the templates...

What type of template do you want?
And are you showing a sample that can be changed?

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
but i can't find it on my dlc folder
that's because it never was a DLC.
It has been stored inside the program folder itself because it is basically an incomplete project.
Make a new project, then copy and overwrite the database of the new project with the additional database files from the project folder.

PARCB

GAN's Professor
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Make a new project, then copy and overwrite the database of the new project with the additional database files from the project folder.
those database files from the project folder... where are they? Are they NewData folder or NewData_FantasyEN?

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
newData is the origin of your new projects. NewData_FantasyEN is the larger database that needs to be copied into the new projects (do not copy into newdata)

StrawberryFlower

The Talking Fruit
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
This might be a strange question, but does anyone know the animation delay between frames for SV battlers?

It'll be useful for animating testing when making custom battlers.

TheGentlemanLoser

"And when we fall, we will fall together..."
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hey, I have some confusion around the same questions @Croco was asking that @Andar was trying to answer: is the format for RPG Maker MZ tilesets the same as the format for MV tilesets, or different, or are some of the tileset formats (idk, A4 or w/e) the same and others (B or w/e) different? The OP seems to suggest that MZ resources can be used in MV and vice versa, except the lack of a template for tiles leaves me wondering if it's the same or different in MZ/MV.

I'm also not sure what was meant by "pixel numbers".

the MV autotiles have identical structure and are just a bit larger, with the quartertile being 24x24 pixel instead of 16x16 pixels.

@Andar is that 50% difference in pixel size the same for all MV/MZ tiles, or just autotiles?

edit2: sorry if this is a dumb question

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
is that 50% difference in pixel size the same for all MV/MZ tiles, or just autotiles?
it is for all tiles, but it needs to be pointed out for autotiles because simple mathematical resizing will cause problems with autotiles because they work differently than regular tiles.

Resizing B-E tilesheets from 32x32 to 48x48 can be done automatically (150%) with halfway-decent results.
Doing the same for Tilesheets A1 to A4 will have a risk of the autotile structure being damaged along the quarter lines (that 24 pixel halflines I mentioned), and that can only be corrected manually if it happens.

TheGentlemanLoser

"And when we fall, we will fall together..."
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
gotcha, gotcha, thanks for the quick reply?

Why did they choose to make tilesets 50% smaller while keeping the other assets the same size? Does anybody know? (I'm only assuming that they kept the other assets the same size because this thread is called MV/MZ templates, and there is one list of templates in the OP, which to me suggests that the other graphics are interchangeable between MZ and MV okay I checked and the charactersets at least are identical in size).

Last edited:

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Why did they choose to make tilesets 50% smaller
you mean larger - MV and MZ have 50% increased size in their assets.

and the reason is that that is the focal point of the resolution, and the community has asked for a larger resolution for decades.
Without that increase in size the tiles and sprites would be too small when going to higher screen sizes and/or more detail in the game.

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

I'm having a surprisingly easy time with the wait for Hogwarts Legacy, though I know other gamers are salivating hard.
:awat:What are you two down there doing?
This status is here just to take up space. And to make you read that.
Commenting just for the sake of commenting. :biggrin:
Just... two more to go...
dylan kickstaeter.png

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mayasmith7464