RPG Maker MV Nintendo Switch edition?

Traverse

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I assume that if a staffer is saying it "could be legit" then it probably is and that they're contractually bound not to disclose details - otherwise there would be nothing stopping everyone from decisively confirming that it's untrue.

I'm going to place bets on Switch and PS4 both requiring a separate "MV Player" application downloaded/installed to play any games made with it ala Fes and not being able to use the PS4's MV Player to play games made with Switch's version of MV and vice versa. I'm also going to bet on both console versions being highly gutted and very different from the PC version with reconstructed engine back-end so that only the front-end GUI resembles PC's MV and with no way to import external assets, maybe only a small internal editor (ala Character/Face Generator) for customizing resources.

Scripting/Plugins is almost definitely getting the axe. No way on Earth that Nintendo is ever allowing anything of the sort on Switch and after Sony burnt their fingers on PS3's OtherOS, I don't think they're keen on allowing any sort of outside code running on their PS4 either even if it is meant to be sandboxed within the application.

Jhale M.

Goddess of health, purity and truth.
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RM2k3
Oh wait, how silly of me.... RPG Maker these days will have tons of DLC. We already have the asset packs well on display.

Also, the difference between the RPG Makers on the other consoles is that it wasn't given the same title as the RPG Makers on PC.

However, if you check the link now, it is removed...

rue669

RueToYou
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
This seems interesting, but will probably play the same as RPG Maker FES for the DS, which was fun for a time but just isn't as versatile as making games on your computer and exporting them to the market (Steam). I highly doubt this means you will have the freedom to sell your game on PS4 and Switch. You'd need a license for that and it just makes no sense for Sony or Nintendo to open it up to that.

CriticalGames

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Selling your game on PS4 and Switch is a complicated process, yes. And the actual console version of the MV engine will likely be quite limited by comparison (just as all previous console releases have been). But I'm hoping this leads to the PC version of MV gaining the ability to export games in a way that's functional on those platforms. It admittedly doesn't sound likely that things will work out that way, but if we had that first step, then a lot of interested commercial devs (like myself) could definitely pursue console release (at least, doing so would be a much smoother process) =)

BlueFlamePrince

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
If this does happen i see it being like mario maker and showing a lot of fan made games. Yet if your able to sell your own game it may be a little harder. Hopefully it doesn't turn into another mario maker.

masterlobo

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I assume that if a staffer is saying it "could be legit" then it probably is and that they're contractually bound not to disclose details - otherwise there would be nothing stopping everyone from decisively confirming that it's untrue.

I'm going to place bets on Switch and PS4 both requiring a separate "MV Player" application downloaded/installed to play any games made with it ala Fes and not being able to use the PS4's MV Player to play games made with Switch's version of MV and vice versa. I'm also going to bet on both console versions being highly gutted and very different from the PC version with reconstructed engine back-end so that only the front-end GUI resembles PC's MV and with no way to import external assets, maybe only a small internal editor (ala Character/Face Generator) for customizing resources.

Scripting/Plugins is almost definitely getting the axe. No way on Earth that Nintendo is ever allowing anything of the sort on Switch and after Sony burnt their fingers on PS3's OtherOS, I don't think they're keen on allowing any sort of outside code running on their PS4 either even if it is meant to be sandboxed within the application.

Yeah, I kind of expect the same.

I would love to be proven wrong.

The odd thing this time is that it now share the name with the latest version of RPG Maker.

FleshToDust

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
It's coming to the Switch and PS4? That's awesome! That's going to get a lot more eyes on RPG Maker(especially it being on PS4). KADOKAWA is hitting the big time.

hp4000

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Nah... I'm pretty sure it's coming!

I was surprised there was no announcement at E3, but then I read a comment on this forum (https://www.resetera.com/threads/am...nisa-for-switch-ps4-out-nov-27th.47627/page-3) reminding us that NISAmerica usually announces games at Anime Expo.

Anime Expo 2018 is in three weeks (july 5th-8th), and NISAmerica will have a booth there, so I bet the announcement will be then.

Since it didn't get announced at E3, I also suspect that Famitsu magazine will reveal the game sometime in the next weeks since it seems like RPG Maker PS4/Switch is going to be a worldwide release around the same time.

hp4000

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Also, I think the name "RPG Maker MV" is just for the western release. I believe NISAmerica chose "MV" for easy brand recognition in the west.

I believe the Japanese title will probably be "RPG Maker 6." Why?
Here's the naming of the console RPG makers in Japan VS the West:

JAPAN > WESTERN
RPG Maker (Super Famicom) > Unreleased in the west
RPG Maker 2 (Super Famicom) > Unreleased in the west
RPG Maker 3 (PS1) > RPG Maker (PS1)
RPG Maker 4 (PS1) > Unreleased in the west
RPG Maker 5 (PS2) > RPG Maker 2 (PS2)

Well have to wait and see though. :)

The other bit of evidence is if this truly is RPG Maker MV, why didn't they use the cover art characters from MV on the box? Why are there completly new characters?

My thoughts are that this is a completely NEW version of RPG Maker for consoles, with no linking to RPG Maker MV.

I wonder if it'll be 3D or 2D? Hmm...

Prescott

argggghhh
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
It would be RPG Maker 7, 6 is RPG Maker 3 in the west and it is on the PS2. (I only know this because it's the one I own)

captainette777

Mad Scientist
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
RPG Maker (Super Famicom) > Unreleased in the west
RPG Maker 2 (Super Famicom) > Unreleased in the west

WHAT!? I didn't know there was a Famicon version. That's strange...

hp4000

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
It would be RPG Maker 7, 6 is RPG Maker 3 in the west and it is on the PS2. (I only know this because it's the one I own)
Good call! :)

WHAT!? I didn't know there was a Famicon version. That's strange...
There was a GBC/GBA version, too! :)

Also, I anticipate that the RPG Maker MV Player wouldn't be cross platform, esp. since Sony crossplay with Nintendo hasn't quite happened yet.

Alanood

Laziest creature ever
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Arabic
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
So there will be a PS4 and NSW versions soon.
I wonder how it will work out, will there be a store for games built inside the game, or will games will be sold/downloaded in the normal store...?

JayA

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
If the Switch release doesn't allow PC games to be exported for Switch, then they shouldn't really bother. I feel like that is the main thing people want.

Indsh

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
My thread just got closed on this but yeah @masterlobo you are correct its real...but what does this mean and why does there seem to be a negative air around this?

@JayA all i want in life!

Jonforum

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
RMMV
cool, but no info about the technology ?, engine ?, openSource ? , framework ? ...

Seacliff

RPG Maker Mastermind
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Yes
Primarily Uses
RM2k
Nice that it's real, but the trailer really doesn't answer any questions. It appears to have some MV resources and some of its own, but is it related to the PC engine in any way or still it's own thing?

And if not, how is this any superior to literally any console RPG Maker game since the first one on SNES? The lack of evolution of the console engines makes all them inferior to RPG Maker 2000. I'm not kidding, I struggled to port my RPG Maker 2000 game to FES because I couldn't replicate more than half of my skills because the options are so limited.

Also, be super wary of that official soundtrack. The soundtrack that comes with the special edition of FES fades out before the songs can loop, so all the songs in the soundtrack are incomplete versions of the full songs. For those wanting music, wait until the resource pack.

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

The full estate map(include 1F,2F,3F and backyard), yes the backyard is a small labyrinth as well as an entrance to a real labyrinth!
Sometimes you Just need to realise someone is beyond help... Still hard to walk away tho :(
100 Horror/Tragedy Sample Maps, Penguin Mech Sprite, & TileD Templates | RPG Maker News #70

Continuing working on abs. So far I have done the workout twice. I am excited to see the results after a couple of weeks. How is everyone doing? :)
MZ: oh boy imma work today
Me, excited: Really?
MZ, doesn't do what I tell It too
Me: I Thought-
MZ: I am Working!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jifei19860311