RPG Maker MV Nintendo Switch edition?

Discussion in 'Video Games' started by WesdrasLink, Jun 8, 2018.

1. Parallax Panda

Parallax Panda Got into VxAce ~2014 and never stopped... Veteran

First Language:
    Swedish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @Traverse
    I can understand your negative attitude and I don't think it's entirely unwarranted looking at previous console makers, but I try to see the announcement though a positive light myself.

When I said you're missing the point it's because you made it sound like it being on Nintendo Switch would be the bottleneck, it wont. The only thing I'll give you on that end is that Nintendo is very family friendly and the annoying swear-filter is 100% going to be there. But then again, the chances of it being there anyway, even if it wasn't on a Nintendo console, is pretty high.

While the hardware isn't going to be a problem that doesn't mean they can't make a crap maker, however. I'd agree that there's a fairly high chance they will half-ass it and make something just slightly better or on par of what we got on 3DS (which would be a missed opportunity in my opinion). But if they do, then I'll be because of the devs priorities, not because it's a multi-platform release.

They most likely go for 2D assets and I'd say it's the right choice. Because sub-par 3D models and barren landscapes (due to data restriction) would look way worse. And I think they'll do a better job at making a 2D engine then they would making a 3D engine. 3D doesn't age well either, and such a game would quicker eat up the data limit, making the game creation even more restricted - even on PS4Pro or whatever.

On the top of my head, what would make this new console maker better is:

*Higher resolution than FES had (very likely)
    *Higher threshold for data and database entries than FES had. (very likely)
    *Zoom in/out function. (very likely)
    *No swear filter. (very unlikely)
    *More options to edit and move around already made maps (very doable, but I doubt it).
    *More available settings and options in the database (very doable, but we'll probably just get a little more... if we're lucky).
    *More settings and options inside events (again very doable, but I don't think it'll be a priority for them).
    *Better organized tilesets (I've a feeling it'll be just as disorganized this time around, unfortunally).

And while I don't expect any way of importing your own resources (yeah right, that'll never happen on any console), one of the most important things about a console maker is the assets it comes with. FES had plenty of sprites, but too few item icons. Overall FES RTP was pretty decent though. I hope they have new assets (more exciting that way) and that they're just as good (and just as much).

But time will tell I guess.

atoms and consolcwby like this.
  2. Rogue Milk

Rogue Milk Veteran Veteran

Really cool.
    What I really wanted was to be able to put our RM MV games from the PC version on the consoles.
    But I will settle for a new resource pack from this new version.

3. XPKobold

XPKobold Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    For me i am quite surprised considering the last rpg maker that has came out for console was from the PS2 Era (Which RPG Maker 2 & 3 the only one with 3D is RPG Maker 2.) And for the first time FES for the handhelds.

Interesting to see an rpg maker game on a new generation console.

consolcwby and Marquise* like this.
  4. Vance Raehart

Vance Raehart Story writer/Aspiring Artist Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Sony wouldn't allow and custom assets for mods and Skyrim or fallout 4 ever since that hacking fiasco they've had. That being said, I highly doubt we'd be able to export and import assets to and from the engine. Honestly id just rather have the PC version, its more convenient anyways.

Marquise* likes this.
  5. Ejronin

Ejronin Grand Eater of Bacon Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    This can still be summed as missing the forest for the trees.

The bottleneck wasn't the power of console, technology advancement, Internet speeds, or even available assets - it was practicality and efficiency. Kadakowa isn't nor has ever been an industry leading force in the development of games - unless you laser focus on "games that harken the idea 'you too can remake Chrono Trigger, Dragon Warrior, and FF6.'"

In fact, when RPGMMV came out, I facepalmed at the choice to go from Ruby to JS. Ruby to Python would have made more sense in more ways that I have space to explain, IMO, but mainly because if there's any irony of the choice to go with JS, it's that the core standard library is small and weak compared to other OOP languages, and to transition to a console, they'll need core standards packages requiring OOP.

But another sort of irony here. With RPG Maker, the appeal was empowering individuals with little to no experience with an opportunity to create clones of their favorite RPGs on PC. Why the F would anyone think, "yay, I can use the port of a tool to clone so that I can continue to be empowered clone instead of wait for a port!" - Yo Dawg, We heard you like port your ability to clone, so we ported your ability to clone so you could clone on the port. And yes, the marketing of RPGM appeals to the idea of cloning classic JRPGs and doesn't really point to the very small set of titles which were successful, albeit briefly, made with the RPGM series).

RPGM requires users make their own assets or pay for the work of others, which are often mixed visual styles that rarely blend well visually (not a fault of the art or artist, but a byproduct of environment). That means "add-on DLC" via the console marketplace, which is really going to be about the only marginal winners here, are the ones with DLC to sell... hmmm....

kaukusaki and consolcwby like this.
  6. Rukiri

Rukiri I like to make Action-RPGs Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    Other
    There were many awful decisions for RPG Maker MV, just because you're allowing for mobile technically doesn't mean javascript is your only choice and the web html5 export is pretty pointless for rpgs... Personally Lua, Python, or C# would have made a better choice and all languages have made their way on to the web, and mobile platforms so javascript was indeed a poor decision but I also understand it's rabid in Japan so whatever.

As for the switch release I think it'll end up like DS releases where it's pretty limited in what you can do, and it's not like you can simply just port over your MV project to it which would require a Nintendo dev license so just making the product itself on the switch was a easier choice because Nintendo while easy to get into has some strict requirements but that's the same with any platform.

7. CriticalGames

CriticalGames Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Not that I expected the MV Player application to help PC devs (that would be totally different from releasing on the eShop, PSN, etc.), but it definitely sounds like this launch won't improve anything for us PC version users at all. A shame, but not surprising: https://gonintendo.com/stories/3144...nese-website-open-offers-up-new-gameplay-deta

"*RPG Maker MV Player / RPG Maker MV Trinity Free Trial Version cannot play games created by the PC version of RPG Maker MV."

8. Traverse

Traverse Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    So it's officially called RPGMaker MV Trinity now. Seems like games made on Switch and Xbox versions share the same store while PS4, as always, likes its walled garden.

Gematsu somehow, as they do, managed to get a set of what appear to be leaked screenshots that aren't even up on the official Japanese website yet and from what I can tell, it looks pretty much like everyone's suspicions were on the money. While the interface looks similar to the PC version's in terms of the map editor and the database, one will notice that it is missing a couple of very important buttons on the toolbar.

Namely the button icons for the Plugins Manager and Resource Manager. So it seems like there will be no importing of resources or plugins/scripts allowed (not that the latter was much of a surprise). Of course, no scripting means that the event list is also going to have been overhauled to remove Script/Plugin commands and the Conditional Branch scripting options. The damage formula box under Skills also used scripting, so I'm fairly positive it's getting a good scrubbing too.

At first glance at the screencap of the Database, it does looks fairly similar to the one on PC MV - but in fact, it's been modified too. There are 2 new options that don't exist in the PC version. The first, underneath the "System" button is 「ゲーム情報」 or "Game Information". I'm guessing this is where the stuff for the Player/download store is set (description, genre, the info that appears when someone sees it on the store download list). The other new option is 「リージョン」 which probably means Region (or Legion, but that's unlikely) but as to what it does, I have no clue. Maybe allows the developer to set up a region lock on downloads?

I guess the interface will please people who liked Fes but wanted a more pleasant mapping experience, but jury's out on the rest of the functionality.

9. hp4000

hp4000 Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Thank you for finding this!

There are some extra buttons in the actors page (i put a white box around them.) Can you translate what those mean?

upload_2018-7-31_15-43-20.png

atoms and Marquise* like this.
  10. Parallax Panda

Parallax Panda Got into VxAce ~2014 and never stopped... Veteran

First Language:
    Swedish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @hp4000
    I’ll translate that for you.

The one on the left, ”待機時に足踏み" means ”stepping while on stand-by”, so it’s probably the usually thing where you can turn the step animation on even when the sprite is standing still.

The one to the right, ”キャラボイス” is a little bit more exciting. It translate to ”character voice”, so if you check it I assume you get some voice snippets to play for that character in certain situations?

11. Marquise*

Marquise* Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    French-Canadian
    kaukusaki and Parallax Panda like this.
  12. Traverse

Traverse Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    No need to assume. You do. According to the Gematsu article:
    There's not only "twice the amount" of stock resources (likely to make up for the lack of importing) but also voice clips and apparently vocal BGM tracks. They'll probably release those as paid DLC for the PC version sometime afterwards.

Now that I take a closer look at that screenshot, it's also missing the button to change the maximum number of actors - though that's not really much of a surprise either.

kaukusaki and atoms like this.
  13. Andar

Andar Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    no, but you have the plus sign to add more entries.
    question is what the maximum here really is before the plus sign vanishes.

14. JayA

JayA Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Well looks like this isn't really going to help us get our PC-made games onto Switch at all :(

kaukusaki and CriticalGames like this.
  15. Jono99

Jono99 Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Shame, that. I was really hoping this would give us yet more distribution platforms.

CriticalGames likes this.
  16. Tuomo L

Tuomo L Oldbie Veteran

First Language:
    Finnish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    So, can I use this to easier port my games to work on the consoles then? I just want to sell my games on Switch and PS 4 and such.

Or is this like, I can't put in my custom resources and it just uploads silly small games like in FES made for hobbyism?

17. bgillisp

bgillisp Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    @Tuomo L : So far they've said it will not open any existing RPGMaker projects. So at minimum you'd have to start your project over. As of yet nothing's been posted on if you can sell the games you make with this, though seeing how FES was handled I honestly doubt it.

18. Tuomo L

Tuomo L Oldbie Veteran

First Language:
    Finnish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Yeah, I figured as much. From what I hear, no custom resources and no custom code makes this pretty pointless.

I really wish someone would write guide how to port MV games to consoles, so we could just port our PC MV versions over and show how good MV games really can be.

19. Jomarcenter

Jomarcenter jomarcenter-MJM Veteran

First Language:
    ENGLISH
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    So in japan they called it RPG maker MV Trinity So now less confusion if it PC or Console version but no information about the name in the english release. Hope they would changed it to RPG Maker MV trinity. This is somewhat confusing if you have a PC or a console version of the engine.

And hope the voice and the step functionality with the trinity version will also be added in the PC version it a useful feature. Like you can include a voice sound if you typeing instead of using a separate command/event.

But in my opinion it look like they just slap the MV PC software (since the software technically can be loaded into a console environment wise) and called it a day unlike their older console port which is made from stretch for better User Accessibility.

Can we get the Console Port content to the PC version as a DLC or a free add-on with our current version like the older console ones you guys do.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2018
    kaukusaki and Marquise* like this.
  20. Marquise*

Marquise* Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    French-Canadian
    *imagines the voice instead of being vocaloid sounding like those automated ones in old PCs that Stephen Hawking everything up Ha-Ha-Ha*

kaukusaki and consolcwby like this.