RPG Maker MV Nintendo Switch edition?

Discussion in 'Video Games' started by WesdrasLink, Jun 8, 2018.

1. atoms

atoms Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    That's what I'm wondering about too. If the worst is to happen though you may be able to add the tileset twice with different hubs, hopefully you can change parts of the tileset, but don't quote me on either of those options.

If it lets you select single tiles to recolour instead of the whole tileset, I actually think that feature is quite neat. Of course you'd want to make sure the colours match, but some recolours can be useful, I think anyway.

See this great tutorial by Indrah on recolouring.

https://forums.rpgmakerweb.com/inde...its-rearranging-clumping-and-recoloring.3415/

2. Traverse

Traverse Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Lolno.

That's not an "option". That's the marketing way of saying: "We had to take out the Damage Formula's script eval functionality because **** if the console companies were going to let us put a free script box that could be exploited to hack the unit via code injection, etc. But hey, look on the bright side, at least our replacement is much easier to use."

Meanwhile, these:
    I am willing to bet are artifacts of it being not possible to import resources or use plugin/script to change the code.

No need for a full debugger if you never expect any crashes or problems with the code anywhere outside of the Game Interpreter.

And if can't import new windowskins, you can't change the color palette either, so why not just list all 20 available ones there on the spot. And note that's -20- (TWENTY), not 32 (THIRTY-TWO), which is how many colors are on the palette on the PC version's windowskin.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2018
    kaukusaki likes this.
  3. Prescott

Prescott argggghhh Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @Traverse I know it's just a Google translation, but it says this:
    "it is now possible to set it arbitrarily not only by fixed calculation formulas but also by yourself."
    "not only" and "but also" make me think it'll have both.

The debug is not for plugins/scripts though, it's for events. I'm assuming you can basically see what's happening in your events as they happen. It's a pretty nifty feature. In the PC version, the debugger is really only super useful when the game crashes so you can look in the debug and see what plugin/script is causing an issue. In this debug system though, you can tell if your events are not working the way you intended a little bit easier. Hopefully, you can change switches and variables in this one too.

The color thing does make sense though. I'd still like that feature on PC so I don't have to remember the color placement xD

kaukusaki likes this.
  4. Traverse

Traverse Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Uh, first of all, even Google Translate says it doesn't work like the PC version.
    "Without free input like the PC 'RPG Tsukuru MV', there is the possibility to create formulas only through the simple operation of selecting commands."

Which even Google Translate bluntly outputs as "It is possible to create a calculation formula with simple operation just by selecting a command, not a free input like the PC version "RPG Menu MV".

Secondly, even if you doubt my and Google's translation, you don't even need to know Japanese to be able to tell since the accompanying screenshot says it all. Does THIS:
    https://image.gamer.ne.jp/news/2018/20180910/0030b31c4e54d12a650b5bd4e3eff0be0300/o/11.jpg
    Look somehow like it supports code evaluation or a script box in any way??

The events also work differently from the PC version being that, you know, there is no Script Call or Plugin commands available for them and you won't be able to set up Conditional Branches with script calls, etc. I mean sure, event debugger is neat and all but events mostly don't ever crash you game unless you have them stuck in autorun or an infinite loop.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2018
  5. Prescott

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I inferred that to mean that you can input it if you want but there will also be a way to type it in because the console versions DO have free input for everything else (text, choices, names, weapons, etc.) and it's not like the battle formula can be used to circumvent security at all because it operates with predefined parameters. That could be a separate window from entering formulas entirely, which unfortunately we can't tell yet.
    Regardless, it would still be nice for the PC version to include.

As for the event debugger, of course it won't crash the game in 99% of cases, but that isn't what it's for. It's to check in real time what an event is doing so if it does something unintended, you know where the issue lies. At least, that's what I can gather.

Pardon me if you can actually understand Japanese and aren't just trying to read through broken English like me.

6. Traverse

Traverse Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Firstly, perhaps you didn't know this, but the battle formula box in VXAce/MV literally runs code evaluation on the formula put into it. It IS a script box. The "predefined parameters" it operates within is the Ruby/Javascript environment. You can literally type "SceneManager.exit()" in the MV formula box for the Attack skill and it will SHUT DOWN YOUR GAME the moment it processes an attack. You could even do a DLL call with it. Yes, it can be used to circumvent security.

It might be possible to put in protections against, but I can't see any of the platform holders - least of all Nintendo - wanting to take the risk of anyone finding a way around them.

Secondly, the first sentence in Japanese was:
    Which, while being a little ambiguous, states (in my own translation, based on my own knowledge):
    Google Translate wasn't exactly wrong, but all it means is that they will provide you with fixed formulas plus some means of customizing, the limits of which are not addressed anywhere in that sentence.

And now given that the provided picture certainly wasn't showing any fixed formulas and given that the NEXT sentence unambiguously begins with the statement 「PC版「RPGツクールMV」のような自由入力ではなく」 -- "Without free input as in the PC-version RPG Tsukuru MV" (which Google Translate shoved to the end of its translation, but didn't get particularly wrong either) -- I am of the opinion that following statement was intended to lay out the limits of said optional settings and did so pretty clearly.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2018
    atoms and Prescott like this.
  7. Prescott

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I actually didn't know that about the formula, I thought it just wouldn't work correctly or would hang/crash your game if trying to do something impossible like divide by zero. That's kind of cool though, so I guess you could make certain attacks pull up scripts to use instead of formulas that way and stuff, interesting. I'm still learning about the formula box because I used RMXP basically from its release to MV's release.
    From the looks of the screenshot, it looks like you might be able to do what I originally thought, just using those parameters by clicking buttons instead of actually being able to type it in, and that's what they meant by "setting it yourself" in addition to using their preconfigured formulas. That makes a lot more sense and I guess is still effectively the same thing I wanted without realising the capability of the formula box in the PC version xD

kaukusaki likes this.
  8. goldenhawk

goldenhawk Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Whoa well I super excited for those export modules to be coming one day, but what about xbox one, where's it's module?

9. Kes

Kes Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    @goldenhawk As this is not published by Degica, there is no one here who can give a definitive answer to your question. You might want to ask on the website of the people who are publishing it outside Japan (NIS America, iirc).

atoms likes this.
  10. CodeHunterEx

CodeHunterEx Hunter of the Perfect Code Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    If amazon.com can be believed, they have RPG Maker MV on pre-order for Nintendo Switch, PS4, and xBox One to be released on March 1, 2019. I wish they would release it on the 3DS as well as the switch. A MUCH better engine than RPG Maker FES for the 3DS.

Edit: the price for them each is $49.99

atoms and Marquise* like this.
  11. Marquise*

Marquise* Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    French-Canadian
    I wish all those who have RPGM could share multi-platform to work as a group some day. I guess it is an unrealistic wishful dream.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2018
    kaukusaki, atoms and Parallax Panda like this.
  12. consolcwby

consolcwby (2015: afk...) 2018: BAK! :P Veteran

Somewhere the East Coast of the USA... i think...
    First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I'm going to get it just so I can mess around with it. Hopeful to make Hammurabi kinda thing with it. Where there's a will, there's a way! :D

13. Prescott

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Ah man, that means it got delayed. It was supposed to come out in November.

Marquise* likes this.
  14. sabao

sabao Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Filipino
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    The Switch version just rolled out here in Japan. If I'm to believe the store page, it says English is already supported.

I'm tempted to buy it just to give it a spin, but the 8424 Yen price tag ($75) feels a little steep.

Screw it, I'll let y'all know what I think of it after a while.

A WHILE LATER:

It's aight.

It's a console release of RPG Maker. Anyone who's kept up with the press releases and previous console versions should already know this isn't going to be replacing the PC versions anytime soon.

Still, there IS some merit in this release, I believe.

Functionality
    For starters, most of the functionality of the PC version remains intact. As far as I've looked (at least, in the very limited time I've had with it so far), most event commands, database items are still there.

Plugin support is obviously not here. If you're shooting to make custom battle systems, menus and add-on features to your game, you're going to have to get creative using events instead.

Damage formulas for skills have been replaced with a more simplified logic constructor.

[​IMG]

Instead of typing out strings of code for custom damage formulas, you have this menu. While not nearly as flexible as the PC version's, this approach is at least very easy to understand. I imagine even complete beginners can figure this one out.

Speaking of complete beginners, I appreciate that Trinity actually does have tutorials built in. Upon starting up the game for the first time, Trinity will put you through an interactive (and totally optional) tutorial that will walk you through the basic functions of the application. The tutorial transitioning between game and editor modes was very engaging, and if I didn't already know how RPG Maker worked, I'd have totally finished it.

[​IMG]

On your following sessions however, there is a tutorial section that covers everything for anyone that needs a refresher on RPG Maker's functions.

Content
    Importing custom assets is not available here, like any other non-PC RPG Maker title. The upside to this is that Trinity comes with some extra sprites, portraits, and BGMs, so you have more to work with than you did with the PC version's RTP. It's not a whole lot, but it's something.

The character creator suite is still available at least, but from what I understand, there appears to be a limit of 120 custom characters per project. Unless you intend to have even your stock NPCs look unique, I don't see how you would need to use all 120 custom sprites, but there you go.

Performance

[​IMG]

Prepare to see this screen for some stretches of time a lot. There's a lot of loading times between things in Trinity: Loading game projects, going from the Editor to Test Mode and so on.

Stranger to me are the load times whenever you have to open the Database window, however, or Map Properties. Load times for either will take upwards of five seconds, and unlike the former set that has a loading screen to indicate the game is loading, this set just has the screen freeze until the opened window comes up. Console versions have always had to contend with awkward loading times while in Editor Mode, but I thought this concern was worth raising anyway.

I currently haven't stress-tested game mode yet, but I do intend to see just how big and how populated with events maps can be without causing the system to stutter.

Other Neat Extras
    Like RPG Maker FES on 3DS, Trinity has a built-in community portal where you can upload your projects and download projects made by other people. There are currently no projects in the portal yet, unfortunately, but easy access to everyone else's work is always a nice plus.

More thoughts coming soon once I have more time to play with it. I'll backread for any questions I can try to answer and if anyone else wants me to see if feature x or thing y is in Trinity, just ask. I can also try to schedule a stream if anyone wants to do that.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2018
  15. ABandit

ABandit Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    VNM
    I saw a video of the starting tutorial--it's pretty thorough, and I enjoyed the switch between game and editor.
    It felt very clunky, though. Everything seemed handled via buttons and not the touch screen.

16. Parallax Panda

Parallax Panda Got into VxAce ~2014 and never stopped... Veteran

First Language:
    Swedish
    Primarily Uses:
    VNM
    @sabao
    So, you bought your version in Japan right. The Switch edition?

You mentioned English support before (and your screenshots looks to be in English as well). Are there language settings and can you completely ditch the Japanese if you don't want it in the Japanese version? If so, I might go and buy it myself.

17. Purim

Purim Warper Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I'm actually interested in trying out the Maker Player, but it doesn't look like it's in the Japanese eShop yet.

18. Traverse

Traverse Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Yep, seems about as expected then.

The performance issue is somewhat eyebrow-raising considering it's all in 2D and really shouldn't be very hardware intensive, but given that the version you have is the Switch version, it might just be an issue with that particular port. It's possible the PS4/XB1 versions might run more smoothly given that their hardware is closer to PC hardware and doesn't have to account for switching between handheld/docked modes unlike with the Switch.

If the English version is already finished, it also does make me wonder slightly why NISA is waiting until February to release it outside Japan. It's not like there's much competition for this sort of product no matter when they release and I don't see them doing a big marketing campaign for anything this niche. Maybe they are and are worrying there's going to be market overlap between this and actual games like Pokemon releasing November-December, but I will very surprised if there actually is any significant marketing push.

There is one big thing I'd like to know and that's whether stuff produced with the Switch version of this thing can be downloaded and played on the PS4/XB1 RMMV Players and vice-versa (that is, whether the community portal is cross-platform or restricted by platform). Something (*cough* Sony *cough*) tells me it's more likely to be platform-restricted than not.

I do remember seeing information that Xbox/Switch would share while Sony would not, but since then Sony has also slightly relaxed their stance on cross-platform (for "certain titles") so having firm confirmation on the current state of it would be nice.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2018
  19. Moshroom

Moshroom Warper Member

First Language:
    Finnish
    Primarily Uses:
    Other
    Did you download the RMMV app to System memory or SD card? I'm having the same problem (I'm using the SD card) and I first thought this might be a problem related to my system language being English. However changing the system language to Japanese didn't seem to help. Also using a Japanese Nintendo account doesn't seem to help either.

Edit: Changing the console region didn't help either.

The most frustrating part is when the freezing starts to occur when moving from tile palette to the map editor screen. IMO the Switch version is nearly unplayable unless the problem gets fixed.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2018
  20. Kes

Kes Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    This is the sort of thing that you should raise with NIS America, the publishers of the Switch edition.