RPG Maker MV Nintendo Switch edition?

Discussion in 'Video Games' started by WesdrasLink, Jun 8, 2018.

1. Moshroom

Moshroom Warper Member

First Language:
    Finnish
    Primarily Uses:
    Other
    Yes, I'm aware that this is not the right forum to contact the publishers of the Switch version.

Just wanted to participate in the conversation to find out whether every user has the same problem regardless of the settings (Nintendo account, console language, console version, console operating system version, app location, etc.) or is there a way to make the problem go away by changing something. If not, maybe then contact the publishers.

2. zacheatscrackers

zacheatscrackers Machinehead Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Shame that there doesn't seem to be plugin support, or the ability to link PC projects to this version; would've been neat. Still cool to see my fav RPG Maker being released on this console, though!

Considering getting my little brother this for Christmas, in case he doesn't get the laptop he asked for. His current computer can't really run the PC version very well, unfortunately, so this'll certainly do~

Prescott and kaukusaki like this.
  3. Prescott

Prescott argggghhh Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    That seems to be the target demographic for this, kids and casuals to get them more interested/experience in game developing, which I love! No one can say that they won't be able to understand it either, because I started using XP when I was 10 and although the games were shitty, it did provide a great way to practice and now I'm making a full open world RPG with MV and learning Unreal. Love the fact that it's available for those people.

4. sabao

sabao Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Filipino
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Yes. Last I checked, it isn't available in the US store yet.

When you first set up your Switch, it asks for your display language preference. If the game supports the default language you set your system as, it automatically sets its language that way.

As far as Trinity goes, there's just a disclaimer splash screen in complete Japanese. Everything else after that is totally in English, except there IS a voice clip sound pack for effects where dialogue is in Japanese. Not sure if the US release will be keeping those or not.

The cross platform thing was brought up in a press release previously, I think? It may be just as you say, but I'll dig around on the matter further and see what I find. At the moment, the community portal is completely empty. Not sure if it's because the portal is faulty or no one's pushed anything out yet.

The performance issues, I suspect, are related to how the software handles a few things. Loading between editor and game is normal-the system does have to compile and build the project to run it.

The loading between Editor and DB manager is unusual, but what I suspect is the application loads/saves the entire DB together. After a while, it bothered me less and less, really.

What brand of SD card are you using? Applications do have a noticeable difference in speed when installed into an SD card vs internal memory, but also the Switch is known to be very finnicky about the hardware you attach to it.

I used a first party 128gb card. Haven't really built heavily on Trinity yet, so mileage varies here, but I've yet to encounter a total software freeze.

I really wouldn't dream of plugin support for these console releases ever, as it feels to me like that would just open a wealth of hardware and software issues the developers and console manufacturers just wouldn't want to deal with.

I personally don't mind living without it. Having grown up on RM2k, I can get behind more traditional-playing games. The RTP may get grating after a while, but much like with RM on 3DS, I look forward to enjoying bite-sized community-made games on-the-go.

I think the more limited options allow creators to focus on just crafting a good story.

My one concern with post 2k3 RM was paralysis from too much freedom. Projects stall becase some people just can't get the custom materials and features they want thrown in. With console releases, you work with what you have. Less distractions, and yes, much more beginmer friendly since it's far less intimidating (at least, if you're not too bothered about having to build and write an entire RPG with console controllers).

Last edited: Nov 26, 2018
  5. zacheatscrackers

zacheatscrackers Machinehead Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Yeah that makes perfect sense, just a shame is all. I can definitely live without it, though; MV by itself is already capable of plenty :)

6. Moshroom

Moshroom Warper Member

First Language:
    Finnish
    Primarily Uses:
    Other
    I have a 256 GB SD card that has so far worked just fine. Don't remember the brand anymore, but I ordered it from Amazon and it was worth 100-200 £ a year ago.

However I now think that my problem is not SD related, since others are having same problem and it's acknowleged by the devs:
    Paraphrasing, they say that a problem has been detected, a plan to fix it will be outlined starting from thursday this week and they are very sorry for the inconvenience...

Edit 2018-11-29: Version 1.0.2 is out now, but unfortunately the freezing problem wasn't fixed yet.

Edit 2018-11-30: The plan to fix the problems has been published here: https://tinyurl.com/y8r7s9wc

Last edited: Nov 30, 2018
  7. Purim

Purim Warper Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I agree with the sentiment of working in limitations. I started work on a game in PC MV but when I heard the switch version was coming out so I changed where I would develop. The just a hobbyist, anyway, so being able to build or port to phones or anything like that isn't of interest to me. Its kind of like building a puzzle with the different features to get something you want.

At least all the modern consoles support keyboards for typing the story stuff out.

8. Phantom Black Star

Phantom Black Star Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Curious Question, arr there any DLC or Free DLC?

I thinking about buying the Switch Japanese version.

If it don't i might buy it, if it does i might have ta wait for, or for US Release.

-----

Thanks very much if Answered.

And if this question has been answered already , can you post the Link? , Thanks

9. Andar

Andar Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    wrong forum to ask.
    This forum (and the company named Degica) only handle the PC-versions of the RPG-Makers.
    The console makers are distributed by a different company, so we can't really answer detail-questions about them...

10. Phantom Black Star

Phantom Black Star Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    I gonna wait for the English version.

Thanks for the reply.

11. sabao

sabao Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Filipino
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Currently, there aren't any. There are provisions set for DLC to be available in the future though, so watch out for that.

More Impressions, Several Weeks In:

Some features I had overlooked:
    • Option to insert character voices for combat for each character in the character DB available. The RTP has a few soundbites you can use as well, though the Japanese version has them in Japanese. Not sure if the US version will change this, but my money is on very unlikely.
    • There's an option to make your main menu configuration horizontal instead of vertical.
    ... aaand honestly I haven't really popped this open in days. Partially due to work and Smash just coming out, partially I really can't get in the headspace to work with it. After a while, the UX does get unbearable. Working on console versions of RM has always been a slower, more grueling process, but the 3DS was arguably easier to work with than this version. It's a slog, and while I do intend to do something with it eventually, I just can't bring myself to do so just yet.

12. Purim

Purim Warper Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
  13. Prescott

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    From @SumRndmDde 's MV review you can see that there's a crap ton of stuff already unlocked, certainly more than the default engine on PC, way more. While I don't like the idea of needing to play that many days in a row to get new songs and stuff, I think that's pretty lame, I do wonder how much more there could possibly be on top of what he showed in his review. Like... that's a LOT of stuff.

14. JohnOminae

JohnOminae Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    To be honest, it's pretty laughable to me. Something tells me they'll remove that limitation in the US release.
    If they don't, whoever is behind the NA release has guts.

15. Purim

Purim Warper Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
  16. Prescott

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    dayum, again? That sucks. At least they're taking the time to fix the bugs and everything. Now I know how PAL felt.

17. Naridar

Naridar Giver of omnomberries Veteran

First Language:
    Hungarian
    I don't know if it has already been mentioned, but the console MV version apparently has 28 tilesets (compared to the PC RPG Maker MV's 6). These include chinese, arabian themed, steampunk, modern japanese and futuristic sci-fi sets. The other types of graphical and audio materials also have a greater variety, especially the music selection. I would be highly disappointed if these resources wouldn't make it to the PC version as DLC.

Marquise* and Parallax Panda like this.
  18. Jonforum

Jonforum Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    French
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
  19. Prescott

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    That article is oooold, the Switch wasn't even out yet. The part you quoted was talking about the Wii U.

Regardless, you can develop a game for any console with any engine if you know what you're doing enough. Is it worth trying to figure it out though? May as well use a different engine if you have to port over an entire code base or something (hypothetical situation).

If you are really interested in developing RMMV games for Nintendo Switch, I would go the route of MonoGame.

20. Seacliff

Seacliff RPG Maker Mastermind Veteran

First Language:
    Yes
    Primarily Uses:
    RM2k