RPG Maker MV, NPC move to other locatoin issue +

Discussion in 'RPG Maker MV' started by Koalas_go_Moo, Feb 17, 2018.

1. Koalas_go_Moo

Koalas_go_Moo Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Hello, I am new here.
    So my issue is this, my laptop died but I orginally had apart of this working. I forgot what I put but I am trying to get the "Father" NPC here to move via the script I have in place, but now fo some reason he just won't move after the dialog window closes about going "upstairs to see the Mother".

The first 3 images shows the scripts and what I am tryingt to do with the for the Father character after the protag talks to him.

Second thing I was wondering about is if the Mother's own script will work at all, or if I am missing something like the Father.
    The fourth image belongs to her.

Last but not least, since I haven't been able to complet the above I am not sure if the last image (five) will work or not,but what I am trying to do here is hand off a item, without it showing the player what it is except by a popup sort of window and or checking the inventory.
    Just wanted to make sure that it will or if I need some plugin for a easier time or if I am missing something credical.

Thank you <3

Attached Files:

2. Andar

Andar Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV

I've moved this thread to MV Support. Please be sure to post your threads in the correct forum next time. Thank you.

you completely misunderstood how switches work, and made some other mistakes as well.

Switches have two parts, the condition and the control. The control command needs to be outside the page with the condition, because the control is like the key to a lock (the condition). you can't open a locked box if the key is inside of it...
    so if you have a switch condition, that page can only be started if that switch is already on - placing a control on of the switch on the same page is completely useless.

additonally, NEVER place an empty content event page on parallel process like you did with page 3 of your father event. that only creates lag and has no advantage, those pages should remain action button.

and the select item command has absolutely nothing to do with giving items. It allows the player to select items from the items it already has in inventory, resulting in a variable storing the ID of the selected item but doing nothing on its own.

I suggest you follow the link to the starting point in my signature and use those tutorials to refresh your knowledge of what event command does what.

And for your info: what you have here are events, not scripts - scripts are something else (javascript commands) and you'll only confuse things if you refer to events as "scripts"

Nightblade50 and Llareian like this.
  3. Koalas_go_Moo

Koalas_go_Moo Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Thank you for moving it, I was looking for the page but couldn’t find it.
    Like I said, new here. :)
    So please understand that I have been watching tutorials and used the tutorial thru the software itself but I guess it didn’t explain everything but I planned to go over it again.

Also I followed what I saw in a video and it worked originally before my laptop died so I’m not sure what to tell you there but I will take a look at the info you provided so thank you.

In terms of calling it scripts: sorry I was focusing on the actual movement script with the whole “Move right: 3, move Up: 11” as a example so yeah my bad.

Thank you again.
    I know you are helping when you don’t have to but the way this is written is sort of offputting. Thank you again for the help just wanted to put that out there. ^_^

4. Andar

Andar Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    video tutorials usually have a lot of disadvantages, because they are too short and often skip over important parts that the video recorder considers obvious.
    I can guarantee you that this event from your screenshots never worked (too many mistakes and misunderstandings), so either you misremembered something from the video or that video was simply wrong. And yes, there are video tutorials that contain only nonsense because they were made by new users that didn't understand what they were talking about.

There are good videos and there are bad videos, and you should never take any tutorial at face value - all tutorials are made by people, and people can make mistakes. So it is important to think about what a tutorial says and learn how to see the mistakes in it.

5. Krakaz

Krakaz Forever Krakaz Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @Koalas_go_Moo Andar's Tutorial is preety good and easy to understand (with exception to the last part) which will if your new like myself it will have you wracking your brain,the idea is great but according to the more veteran project makers it's quite a complex problem. sorry that this post has no real relevance to the thread but i thought I'd let you know all the same.

Sauteed_Onion likes this.
  6. OmnislashXX

OmnislashXX Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Sometimes, the author of the video tutorial can go too fast and don't really take the time to explain some things. I suggest to get the most out of them is to open up RpgMaker and switch between watching the vid and mimicking what they are doing in it. Although, I would recommend SumRndDude's vids, they are pretty simplistic.