Status
Not open for further replies.

Tsukihime

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Do they have another encrypted archive format?

MikePjr

Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
No - "everything" would not include the source code for the editor. It is talking about the scripts being open source. And, as has always been the case, that only affects what happens in the game when you play it - you could not change what happens in the editor by changing scripts.

I am not answering the original question - I do not know what is possible and what is not - I just know that you will (likely) not be able to change the behaviour of the editor to add in any functionality that is not already there.
I dunno... i mean... Celianna said this at one point.

And Sharm, you may now be at ease to know you don't need to convert anything to 48x48. This is why I stuck to 32x32 with my newest pack, knowing there would be a plugin to support 32x32. Heck, 16x16 is supported as well.
So it sounds like it might be rather easy to use other sizes.

I think the 48x48 is like.. a default you can change.

I been running off the information lately from folks more on the inside who've been saying this maker will be capable of doing quite a bit.

I don't see how it would be impossible since the scripts are plugin based and the classes are not hidden.

I would like to think that there is a LOT more you can do.

A simple change to some numbers in a JS plugin and the editor will just know to look at your sheet of graphics differently.. no need to "change" the way the grid works in the actual editor.

By the way.. that's just speculation on my part.

Last edited by a moderator:

cremnophobia

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
That isn't what you think it is. But it can be used to implement what you apparently think it is.

If MIDI isn't your thing that's cool, just don't assume that no one would miss it.
I was making fun of those people discussing JS (no Ruby anymore, it's not as fast as my handcrafted assembly ray-casting engine). I'm also sorry but I had the impression you don't know what general MIDI files are and what they aren't. We also don't even know what audio formats exactly are supported.
But I wonder if loop ranges are supported. It could definitely be added but maybe not in the same way. That'd be also a loss.

Ramiro

Now with an army of Mecha-Ralphs!
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
They cant really make "hidden classes" anymore if they plan to run html5 games,

yes you can obfuscate the javascript, (wich is usefull for html anyway) but you can prettify it again :D

I can make a wild guess and belive the database will be written in something like JSON

That isn't what you think it is. But it can be used to implement what you apparently think it is.
Oh, yes it is what I think it is, Enterbrain has people intelligent enough to load files and decode in javascript...

After all, this isn't the first time they do this...

schM0ggi

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses

So it sounds like it might be rather easy to use other sizes.

I think the 48x48 is like.. a default you can change.
Thats why i asked in the first Place. I mean, having the possibility to use 32px/16px ingame and not the need to resize your Ressources is fine. But how will the Mapping in the Editor look like with Ressources, originally designed for 32px Grid? I can't imagine to work quite well with a 48px Grid and 32px or even 16px tiled Ressources.

greetz

Banquo

scoundrel
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Thats why i asked in the first Place. I mean, having the possibility to use 32px/16px ingame and not the need to resize your Ressources is fine. But how will the Mapping in the Editor look like with Ressources, originally designed for 32px Grid? I can't imagine to work quite well with a 48px Grid and 32px or even 16px tiled Ressources.

greetz
Well, I can't tell you how it works, but if  Celianna will continue to make 32x32px tiles, it'll work in a viable way.

Euphony

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA

greetz
I'm curious about this as well, since I've made a ton of tiles that fit 32x32 and I don't plan on changing them now lol. Changing the tile size would require changing so many other things--how the program reads tilesets, how the mapping editor operates, how events are placed on the map, how characters walk on the map, and other things I'm sure I'm forgetting. If none of these things changed, it would be a total mess.

Shaz

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Plugins are scripts. Scripts, in the past, have never affected the editor itself. A dialogue box so you can enter script/plugin parameters is one thing, but allowing you to switch the map editor to support different sized tiles is totally different. Even Archeia said she built her map using TileD, not in the editor.

Concerning all the engines so far: We can do a lot of stuff in scripts that the editor doesn't support. We just work around the editor's limitations. We don't change the editor to make it do extra stuff.

If the editor can be changed to allow any sized tile to be used, that'll be great. I'm not holding my breath.

Rukiri

I like to make Action-RPGs
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Other
They can use MIDI https://github.com/mudcube/MIDI.js

I don't really know how they manage to make the engine itself.

Does it use phazer? (not so sure)

Does it use a custom made set of enterbrain classes to be cross platform (maaaaybe)

Argrgrgrgrgrgrg I want to dig in in the code and do things D:

*Chrom voice*

Now I'm angry!
Unless we get confirmation we can link outside libraries I don't think this is going to work...  

MysteryMan23

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
So, the first four RTP characters are named

Harold,

Therese,

Marsha, and

Lucius, eh?

I see what you did there.

But seriously, I'm now officially sold on this new maker! At least, assuming that by "no hidden classes", you mean that the equivalent to the Bitmap, Color, etc. classes will be open to editing, is that right? Because if so...hehehe, I'm going to have a lot of fun with the graphical classes...

Vox Novus

Knight of Whispers
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
So far this looks really promising and I'd like to get it someday and its great to hear that people seem to think java script is easier to learn than ruby. Think I'll plan to stick with ace for awhile though; I'm working on a big project in it already and don't want to abandon it. Besides I feel like even with a couple yrs experience with it I can hardly say I'm a master at using ace.

Shaz

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
The next four will spell JAVA?

And yes, you will get the classes that we previously couldn't touch - Sprite, Window - all the ones listed under the RGSS Built-in Classes. That'll be reeeeeeally nice!

BCj

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
N/A
Does RPG Maker MV encrypt audio, actually? It's such a big problem with other rpg makers..

cremnophobia

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
And yes, you will get the classes that we previously couldn't touch - Sprite, Window - all the ones listed under the RGSS Built-in Classes. That'll be reeeeeeally nice!
Yes! Window and Tilemap are probably the most important classes but there were also rewrites in Ruby (or even C or is it C++?) of them. Only Bitmap, Font, Sprite and Viewport can't be written in Ruby (but only because of RGSS design decisions). Oh, and the Graphics module. But if changes to them don't affect the editor it's exactly the same as now/before but probably just faster and nobody has to rewrite them first.

MysteryMan23

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I will also assume that it means no hidden Modules - that Audio, Graphics, etc. will all be open to editing, should the need arise?

Either way, I'm still pretty much sold at this point. Not that I wouldn't mind some more information, though. As Zeriab said:

I'm like a child in a candy store. Weeeeeee!!!

Jasutin Rai

Developer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
All that time learning RUBY for our own games project, THEN they switch it to Java! GRRAH!!

//though the plugin's sound nice.

print "GRRAH!!!"

Ramiro

Now with an army of Mecha-Ralphs!
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
The next four will spell JAVA?

I Still cry when i hear JAVA and not JAVASCRIPT D:

The web version won't have ANY encription... probably

EDIT:

I think lucius is a woman, or at least super bishonen...

Shaz

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Yeah, but they're not likely to have 15 actors in the database.

Zeriab

Huggins!
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMXP
All that time learning RUBY for our own games project, THEN they switch it to Java! GRRAH!!

//though the plugin's sound nice.

print "GRRAH!!!"
Or C#, or you know, FORTRAN, or perhaps rather Haskell?
All of these languages have something in common, many things in fact. One of them is that none of them is, infact, JavaScript.

I'd recommend C# over Java. It's a bit like VX Ace vs. VX, where we have that VX Ace is almost exclusively better than VX not considering standard libraries (scripts). Though I admit my two favorite programming language designers are Anders Hejlsberg and Don Syme.

Hmm… perhaps we should talk about sunshine, rocks and the silence rarely preceding in my keyboard?

Nah, actually. I suggest we get back on topic and talk about JavaScript

*hugs*

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

Love it when someone confuses "RPG Maker (or script/plugin) has a bug" with "I didn't set it up right and it's not working as I want (or gives an error)"
Is animation really as hard as I think it is?
Out of sudden, snow. Everywhere.
Blech. I hate coming up with stories. Making gameplay is fun but coming up with lore and reasons for these areas/mechanics just makes me sleepy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nanaya07