Status
Not open for further replies.

Ramiro

Now with an army of Mecha-Ralphs!
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
I agree, MV sprites looks like a midpoint between XP and VX.

But that holds 100% truth for 2k3 -> XP -> VX

But it kinda works on both ways - Let's imagine I'd release a commercial game that costs $1 - for me it'll be $4 and that is really something... 
And this is when the opposite is not true, here we have a dollar for buying and a dollar for selling and a "retetion" if you sell in dollars, :c 

So If I sell my game at $1 y recieve $0.5, and as my currency I can buy with that amount $0.3

Really, we have the second highest taxes on the world...

Last edited by a moderator:

Rukiri

I like to make Action-RPGs
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Other
People use 999 maps?!

Even with small connected maps and 3 world maps, the most I get is over 200 maps. More or less. I can't imagine 999 maps.
I've easily use 999 maps...  It was a big limitation for a lot of people!

Rukiri

I like to make Action-RPGs
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Other
I would love to see that project, personally, if you don't mind. People reaching these limits fascinate me from a technical/game design aspect.
You'll need the Nazi Bell(also speculated as a time machine), some mercury, and mountain dew(I prefer surge).

You'll also need my old XP machine which is at the dump somewhere probably already crushed and recycled.

Nathanial

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
You'll need the Nazi Bell(also speculated as a time machine), some mercury, and mountain dew(I prefer surge).

You'll also need my old XP machine which is at the dump somewhere probably already crushed and recycled.
Gotcha. Let me know when you hit that limit again; I'd love to see it.

Scythuz

Explorer Bot *beep beep*
Restaff
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Yeah if anyone goes over 999 maps in their project (with actual things with meaning and purpose in the maps) I want to see it too.

SamJones

Autorun
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
People use 999 maps?!

Even with small connected maps and 3 world maps, the most I get is over 200 maps. More or less. I can't imagine 999 maps.
Multiple versions of the same map mostly.

If you want to have seasons in your game the easiest and simplest way is to make four different versions of your outdoor maps, one for each season.

Have a town that grows over the course of the game, depending on the player's actions? One version for each stage.

Some cataclysmic event? One map before and one after. Then maybe another one showing the rebuilding.

Still doing seasons? Multiply that by four.

Switching out maps is the simplest and easiest way of simulating a semi-dynamic environment and the numbers can pile up quickly.

Okay I just checked, the limit is 999 maps.
Wasn't that just an editor limitation and you could get around that by just editing batches of maps separately and then later copying the files all to the same folder for the game?

_Shadow_

Tech Magician Level:
Reaction score
First Language
Greek
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Multiple versions of the same map mostly.

If you want to have seasons in your game the easiest and simplest way is to make four different versions of your outdoor maps, one for each season.
That means that people do not use switches and conditional branches right. Except if a map is (by scenario demands) destroyed or modified SO much that it needs a new version of it. Like the cataclysm you mentioned.

"If you want to have seasons in your game the easiest and simplest way is to make four different versions of your outdoor maps, one for each season."

Or you use a Tileset format like Rural Farm and JUST CHANGE TILESET on the same map and all four seasons are done. So that will lower the amount of the maps used that way by 75%.

I do not consider making 4 maps for 4 seasons the simplest way but it is the easiest at start indeed. On the long run though this becomes tough as the leves become more and more.

See how it works at 0:40 - 0:45 of the official video.

999 is not really a limit. in my opinion, but I would love to have a capability for more maps. But I can hack this around really.

If a game has 999 maps, and made them worth being there, then I probably made a fluent game anyway.

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Originally, that's what the change tileset event command was intended for. Have similiar constructed tilesets like one where every tile is the summer version, or winter version (or day and night), and simply change the tileset on the map for that.
However, that only works if every tile is on identical places but on different tilesheets, and a lot of developers (and artists) don't want the additional organisational work to keep such sets of tilesheets...

Wasn't that just an editor limitation and you could get around that by just editing batches of maps separately and then later copying the files all to the same folder for the game?
Not exactly - it needed a script to switch the engine between batches of maps.
But writing such a script should be even easier with the completely open engine of MV

Stapleton

Underground
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Gaeilge
Primarily Uses
N/A
Nathanial B., on 20 Aug 2015 - 1:41 PM, said:

I would love to see that project, personally, if you don't mind. People reaching these limits fascinate me from a technical/game design aspect.
If you've reached the map limit, you're probably not very good at organizing, nor at mapping. There's really no need to have that many maps, sometimes people forget that players are totally fine with not being able to explore every house that they lay their eyes upon.
Hmm. I believe I am quite organized, and decent mapper. I am at over 550 maps with each house being explorable. The thing is, all houses in each town only use one map. And my maps aren't small.

If I made my maps any smaller I would have already reached this limitation. So I have to balance the limitation of Maps and Events now. And I don't mean the 999 events in one map, for about 200 begins to create lag.

It is not easy, not easy, to hit the limitation however.

Sharm

Pixel Tile Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
There are so many easy ways to reduce the number of maps.  Like using one map for the interior of multiple houses.  If you want a town that has a lot of changes it's much better to use a script like Vlue's Copy/Paste Map Data.  Making all those small changes in any possible configuration is ridiculous.

The problem with just upping the maximum on things or making them "limitless" is with how code works.  If you want to have the option for 999 maps you've got to assign space for that.  If you want the possibility of more you have to assign more space.  I don't remember what kind of space but I think it had something to do with the program size and variables possible and stuff.  Possibly load times.  Maybe someone who actually knows programming can explain it better.

SamJones

Autorun
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
That means that people do not use switches and conditional branches right. Except if a map is (by scenario demands) destroyed or modified SO much that it needs a new version of it. Like the cataclysm you mentioned.

"If you want to have seasons in your game the easiest and simplest way is to make four different versions of your outdoor maps, one for each season."

Or you use a Tileset format like Rural Farm and JUST CHANGE TILESET on the same map and all four seasons are done. So that will lower the amount of the maps used that way by 75%.

I do not consider making 4 maps for 4 seasons the simplest way but it is the easiest at start indeed. On the long run though this becomes tough as the leves become more and more.
Unless your maps are NOT QUITE identical across the seasons but include some subtle changes to enhance the seasonal character.

Sharm

Pixel Tile Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
You could do that with tile changes too, if you're clever about it.

Ramiro

Now with an army of Mecha-Ralphs!
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish

I have just one counter argument about this wich is a good example on how to implement seasons: Pokemon black & white.

On winter, the maps are actually different with different paths to travel, and even diferent patches of grass (with different pokemon) roaming there.

You may need 4 maps if they are very different.

Probably that's why it was a removed feature from X/Y. (Also, is a frustration mechanic because you have to wait real time to catch pokemon)

I still think 999 maps is overkill, 300 hs+ rpg is overkill, we don't have that attention spam anymore, even 40+ games are large, and you can't sell a 300+ hour rpg and be profitable with the time you expend doing it.

Each map should be relevant, after all, your game is an abstraction of reality not the real world... for now at least.

Coming soon:

Project Earth: The RM game  (This may be a good idea anyway, but enix did this with less maps in some quite famous snes games... right? )

Rikifive

Bringer of Happiness
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Polish
Primarily Uses
Other
I agree, MV sprites looks like a midpoint between XP and VX.

But that holds 100% truth for 2k3 -> XP -> VX

And this is when the opposite is not true, here we have a dollar for buying and a dollar for selling and a "retetion" if you sell in dollars, :c 

So If I sell my game at $1 y recieve $0.5, and as my currency I can buy with that amount $0.3

Really, we have the second highest taxes on the world...
Now you made me think about it, because I haven't encountered these things before and I don't know how it works... Perhaps it'll be not that funny for me as well... No idea...

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

The 999 map limit could be easily reached when making *randomized* parallax maps, so not many people will encounter this, but some probably yes.

Perhaps some people wants to keep their event pages clear so they'll make for example: - open a chest > give items > transfer to another map with no chest > Profit.

<Perfectly organized LOL>

Ralpf

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
There are so many easy ways to reduce the number of maps.  Like using one map for the interior of multiple houses.  If you want a town that has a lot of changes it's much better to use a script like Vlue's Copy/Paste Map Data.  Making all those small changes in any possible configuration is ridiculous.

The problem with just upping the maximum on things or making them "limitless" is with how code works.  If you want to have the option for 999 maps you've got to assign space for that.  If you want the possibility of more you have to assign more space.  I don't remember what kind of space but I think it had something to do with the program size and variables possible and stuff.  Possibly load times.  Maybe someone who actually knows programming can explain it better.
That was exactly what I was going to say, if people were to somehow reach the map limit (Which is still unfathomable to me) it doesn't take much to add multiple interiors to the same map. Just need to figure out which ones are using the same tileset, or modifying the tileset so it will work with more.

For seasonal changes with subtle variation, I think I would use events (With the tileset swap) unless it is extensive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

Oh man. IGMC's finally back. I really want to participate, but I'm not sure if I have the time.
It is DC's turn to be celebrating her leveling up and starts her 20th year. We were many to think she wouldn't live that long. Starts your cats motors and make 'em purr!
why_hello_mira.jpg

I made myself a cult leader, and a concept scene for him as well. :LZSexcite:
SpaceBot wrote on DoctorMolotov's profile.
I miss you :kaocry:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sm0ll