Not open for further replies.

VirusChris

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Man, that's quite the beautiful screenshot there KaYsEr. So that what the MV would look like, very high quality indeed.

Though I'm curious if we're still able to craft any sprites in any sizes like XP did where you can have a small character and a giant character, but not like VX where you were grounded to those Chibi sprites (not sure if VX Ace still kept that, I haven't been looking at VX/VX Ace stuff in a long time). I need to double back on the topic to see if I missed any info regarding my question.

So in about 3 days we'll get more answers on RPG Maker MV. I hope it has some really great or though I might use the recently released GG Maker for some RPGs and Action Run'n'Dash Side-Scrolling Platformer I had in mind considering they have some really neat features.

Man... would love to make a Touhou fan-game using my own custom sprites but I need more info on how the 42x42 tilesets are being handled first.

Last edited by a moderator:

Engr. Adiktuzmiko

Chemical Engineer, Game Developer, Using BlinkBoy'
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Tagalog
Primarily Uses
You can use any sized sprites in Ace... There is actually no limit to the size of the sprites... Though most resources still go with the chib style to ensure that you can use them together with the RTP

Hudell

Dog Lord
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Local rpg maker communities are quite fun to read right now, they misread a lot of posts from this and the other thread and start creating strange theories.

Jomarcenter

jomarcenter-MJM
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
ENGLISH
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Local rpg maker communities are quite fun to read right now, they misread a lot of posts from this and the other thread and start creating strange theories.
Maybe that what there planning. Confusing us with odd information to make us all hype for the new release. so they can make tons of money but mostely can be returned if we release a commercial game. It like a corporation level conspiracy. Your wallet is getting emptied confirm!

Nah Just joking.

Joking aside.

Kida, laugh about the said communities It like a FNAF community all over again. Now I want to know what is happened at the Japanese community right now.

Anyways We get get more information as enterbrain release them.

JosephSeraph

White Mage
Restaff
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
In all honesty, the only "3D" I'd ever want to see in an RPG Maker game would be something akin to making actual 3D RPGs.  You know, like Skyrim or others of that nature, where it's first or third person, and the whole world is 3D instead of just that Isometric View that people claim is "3D".
In all honesty, the only 3D (with no quote marks) i wanna see in an RPG Maker game is whatever the creator has in their creative vision.

BadMinotaur

You can do it!
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
if they upgraded to ruby 2.2 (or 2.3 i don't remember where it is) I wonder what sorts of cool new stuff we'll be able to make?
Ruby 2.x doesn't really add a lot of functionality, it just adds increased performance and better usability. Like added methods for arrays, some changes to exception handling, etc. Extra functionality will come from whatever libraries they include with RGSS4, if it will be RGSS4.

I mean, Ruby has been able to do stuff with HTTP and other online protocols since forever -- that's what Ruby on Rails is founded on. They just stripped that functionality out with RGSS3 for whatever reason.

My personal pie-in-the-sky hope is that the editor allows plugins. Honest-to-goodness plugins that let me add fields to the editor at least. I don't even care if I have to learn C/C++ or anything for that. It would be so worth it.

Lustermx

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
Primarily Uses

schM0ggi

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
I said in the last topic that I'm ok for it, here is another quick test.

(I simply took the original screenshot posted on the facebook page and reworked *very quickly for test purpose* directly on it with 1.5x enlarging)

Would be better with every element separated, and generally more time spent on the conversion to add even more details.

VX/VX ACE RTPs are highly compatible with this type of conversion, but it's possible with XP RTPs too.
Thats absolutely true! Here is an example from one of my old Projects i worked on. I just took a Screenshot and scaled it up with 1.5x using GIMP.

Like you said, it would even look better with every element seperated and so on. But to be honest, i'm totaly fine with this result and would use it it for my Game.

Original XP Screen:

Scaled up with 1.5x Screen:

Important for this technique though ist, that you can use the proper Resolution 960x720. Anything different would just make no sense imo with the bigger Grid.

But even without upscaling RTP Ressources from XP can be used (and i guess from VX Ace too). You will just have to adept the Tileset to the 48px Grid, add some more Parts from the same Tile to fill up the empty space. A big Problem though would be the Characters in that case because a 48px Grid means bigger Movement Space and that would end up in looking very odd. The 32px Grid is already some kind of blocky. Thats also the reason why i use a 16px movement for the Characters in my Game (instead of 32px). It looks more natural and is a good compromise because in my eyes pixel movement is not needed.

But anyway ... I'm acutally more concerned about the Mapping System which will in the end decide if i'm going to use the MV Maker or not. Automatically 3 Layer sounds ... well ... i dont know, a bit odd. Guess we will have to wait to see it in Action or get more Information. To be honsest, i just hoped for the new Maker, that they have made a RPG Maker XP 2.0 like they did it with VX and VX Ace. They wouldn't have to make a big change actually to please me. 5 Layers for Mapping, an individual Grid System (or maybe the possibility to choose between 8px, 16px and 32px with adapting Collision and Movement), more Event Commands and a better Performance (Hardware acceleration) and maybe a XP RTP 2.0 (not necessary). A perfect Maker ...

greetz

PixelHeart

The Pixel Heartist!
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Other
....well....why can't it have more than 3 layers? Is that hard?

Jomarcenter

jomarcenter-MJM
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
ENGLISH
Primarily Uses
RMMV
....well....why can't it have more than 3 layers? Is that hard?
IDK what the deal with people wanted a 3 layer system. Why no one is thinking of more than 3 layers. Like 4 or more layers.

I will just Wait until the official announcement on Sunday anyway.

Mostly people started to complain about the automatic 3 layer thing based on the magazine. But it still 75% in development why everyone started to assumed it like the VX ace/VX ones.

BadMinotaur

You can do it!
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
It might be an issue of protecting developers from themselves. Each layer is an array of a size equal to your map -- so two layers of a 17x13 map are two arrays of that size. Adding another layer adds another array, and thus uses more memory.

Compression is a thing, but then the challenge is implementing map compression in a way that doesn't get in the way of scripters trying to mod the game.

That's just my guess on why they want to limit layers anyway. It might be off though, since a 17x13 array of tiles isn't the most memory-hungry thing out there.

Kes

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
But how many games stick to 17 x 13?  Start thinking of maps that are regularly 50 x 50 and then memory might well become an issue.  The game I'm just finishing has over 300 maps, many of them larger than default (which is 20 x 15, in my case) and that's not so unusual for a game.  Throw in on top the larger resolution of MV, and I can well see why they might want to limit layers.

BadMinotaur

You can do it!
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Yeah but thinking about it, each tile map is really just an array of integers. That's not that big. VXA gets away with I think five layers? The two we edit directly in the editor, the regions, the terrain flags... I don't know how the shadow map is handled, so maybe it's the fifth one. And from what I recall they're all numbers, interpreted by the engine.

Maybe instead of the arrays hogging too much memory, it would take too much time to draw multiple layers. Doing any intense amount of drawing in VXA tends to slow it down so maybe they wanted to limit the layers to limit the amount of drawing operations.

Arsist

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
If the grid will be exclusively 48x48 or soforth, that means that spriters will have to start over. If MV ends up using something different from RGSS3, that means that scripters will have to start over. A lot of the features MV is currently promising is doable right now with Ace. 

I question what multiplatform entitles, such as a simplier creator usable witht the smart phone, and what platforms will be able to play created games, such as the or 3DS, PS3, and if making games playable by things other than the PC means dumbing down the engine for games to be handheld-friendly.

It sounds like something I would use casually if I ran into a Steam sale, seeing as how I got Ace and XP on Steam, but mainly I might stick with Ace. There are so many scripts I'd be missing out on if I made the switch.

The thing I would care to see is less framerate drops. Creating a lot of stats, passive states, and complex procedures really takes a toll on the framerate much worse than higher-graphic-ed, more complex games you could play online. That and 2.5D, or something of the sort. There are plenty of games where you can walk behind buildings and walk both under and over bridges while having NPCs above you.

There are already scripts to break the database limit, use a mouse, and change the resolution. While I liked XP for its layer system, I also find parallaxing to be best, although a bit slow and not newbie friendly.

JosephSeraph

White Mage
Restaff
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
guys the potential

the engines have been being progressively more powerful

even if we have to start over

the

potential

??????

Diabolical Codemaster
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Binary
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I also don't mind having to start over, providing all those silly engine restrictions are not as limiting. :)

Shaz

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
What is the topic exactly? What facets of the new maker can we discuss here before it becomes off topic?
It's not so much that the subject is off topic, but the thread is not all about the art style, and so much back and forth between just a few people is making it all about the art style. If you want to have a conversation about it and delve into all the options available for resizing, you can take it to PM or start a new discussion thread, so people can continue to talk about OTHER aspects of the new engine :)

Maybe people are just focussed on 3 layers because that's what XP had and that (imo) was the mapping system that gave you the most control. The number of autotiles it provided was very limited (only 7), so VX/Ace made real improvements there, but then took away in other areas (the way it automatically redrew the surrounding area, the way it forces certain tiles to go on certain layers, the way it restricted the size of the tileset). I think a lot of people would be happy with a combination of the two. And certainly if you offered more than 3 layers, there will be people who will just be stoked! Why don't they do it? Could be a performance issue - especially when developing for mobile platforms, how maps are drawn and the speed of drawing becomes paramount.

And we have announcements from both Yanfly and Yami that they have new systems either in development or ready for release? I'm guessing they'd just about HAVE to be for MV - the timing is too much to be a coincidence. This leads to the conclusion that scripting has not been removed from the new engine, though the language/version remain to be seen. It is VERY unlikely you'd just be able to plug in a script for Ace and have it work (if that was the case, there'd be no reason for either of those people to create completely new versions).

??????

Diabolical Codemaster
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Binary
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Yea dude!

Like, lets talk about RGSS4 - if its going to be that..

I really hope they have reworked the game loop to be like, a real game loop, rather than updating everything in one shot and losing frame rates due to slow processing and crap like that.

Also, I wonder if it is a variant of RGSS/ruby, will the default scripts have been completely rewritten from scratch, or will they have had just enough reworked to fit the new engine??

These are the things people should be discussing.. Who even cares about graphics these days? :p

Edit:

And like, will gif images be supported? :D

JosephSeraph

White Mage
Restaff
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
yeahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh thattttt

if we already do have the lavy meta engine, fple and h-mode7 for vxa (though they rely on external dlls) imagine what we'll be able to have in mv if enterbrain did the proper thing <3;

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Just finished planning out the skeleton of the main quest line of my new game. I'm so excited for it!
Integrating Jason Perry's japan tile set while listening to Murray Atkinson's Heaven and Earth background music.
I forgot I had an account on rpgmakercentral lol
"What do you think the best place to visit on this cold days?" "Hell..."
Been so busy lately that I wonder if I should slowly start preparing the advent calendar resources so I have enough in december.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
yeriano