Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hello again,

I made an animation for my game for when the character acquires something, sort of like in Zelda:

GuM0pYS.gif

I'd like this animation to trigger every time the player acquires something. Of course, instead of an apple, I'd like the icon of the acquired item to show up on top of the character.

What would be the best way to go about doing this? If possible, please explain in details as I'm really a beginner with the engine.

Thank you!

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
American
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I guess one way would be to mess with one of those expression balloon(not sure of the term)?
But you'll need tons of resources in order to make it work for every other icons...
Probably no other way available without scripts...

Alastor01

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Russian
Primarily Uses
N/A
That should be quite simple to do. You don’t even need scripts. I have made pick-up animations for bullets and herbs.
What you want to do is create your own character animations. With a different item each. You make each animation cell 2 tiles high - 96 pixels. Or even 3 tiles high if needed.
Your first frame will be empty - no item yet. The other 3 frames will play your animation in the example with an apple. Once you acquire something - play this animation - it will show above player if you position this event appropriately.

Zizka

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Thanks for the replies.

I was hoping it could be done without me having to do a separate graphic file for each and single item picked up in game to be honest. That'd be quite tedious on my end.

Trihan

Speedy Scripter
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Why not create them as battle animation sheets then? You can have multiple items on one sheet, just create animations for each item and show that animation above the player when an item is picked up while changing their character graphic to the "I picked something up!" one.

kirbwarrior

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
You could also use "Show Picture" to show the item above the character.

If you are willing to use plugins, I believe Yanfly has "Icon Balloons" to let you show any icon from your iconset in a balloon. Just don't have a balloon graphic behind it to make it Zelda-Like

Zizka

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Thanks for the replies.

@Trihan: I'd still need to make each individual animations then (unless I misunderstood).

@kirbwarrior: Oh I don't mind using plugins. You mean instead of having balloons I would make my animation and then use the plugin correct? Yes, that sounds like a good idea.

Actually, I don't think it would work as I wouldn't have room to fit in the animation in the balloon sprite sheet.

Last edited:

Trihan

Speedy Scripter
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Ohh, so you're looking for a solution that will automatically use whatever the item's icon is instead of having to create a separate popup for each one.

Zizka

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Yes, exactly. I want the pick up animation to trigger and for RPG Maker to automatically call up the object icon and make it appear on top of the animation (next to the character's hands).

kirbwarrior

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
You mean instead of having balloons
You'd still use balloons, just not the background image "Empty Balloon". Without it, the Icon would just appear above your head.

If you wanted to use animations, that sounds pretty simple, just slap 25 (I believe they are 25 long) icons onto a sheet and make yourself an animation. You'd make one for every item (or at least every one you find).

Joy Diamond

Talkative
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Greetings 1158,

Was just searching for some Yanfly, and found this for you.
Very nice, 1158, thanks for finding this. That was only the 2nd Yanfly video I have watched -- he does great marketing! :smile:

Appreciatively,

Joy Diamond

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

That feeling when you have an out-of-bounds error and an ai enemy exploits it to kill you
i'm getting better and i think im going to work on my magical girl game while I wait to get some stuff for my horror game. i hope you guys are having a good day
Kept making a new frame for any change I did so ended up with a gif XD

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DoctorDeathtrap