RPG MAKER MV PREORDER PAGE IS LIVE!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GrandmaDeb

Modern Exteriors Posted!
Veteran
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
You surprised us once when you changed the release date from "winter 2015" to "October 23rd". Can you do it again and release MV tomorrow? Or today? Now? Or just send it over, I won't tell anyone.
I suggest addiction counselling to go with all excess posters in this thread, pre-order or no... ;]

As far as character sprites go, I predict a resurgence of mack-style chars.

nadiya2000

Orange Ball
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English?
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Oh boy! I can't wait. :D

richter_h

Eh? Sweetroll?
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesian
Primarily Uses
N/A
As far as character sprites go, I predict a resurgence of mack-style chars.
Oh ho ho... As I've predicted.

Still need to learn the palettes, though. I think the color palette MV uses will be different than its predecessors, like what VX did upon XP.

Pine

Biggest Tree in the Forest
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
Oh ho ho... As I've predicted.

Still need to learn the palettes, though. I think the color palette MV uses will be different than its predecessors, like what VX did upon XP.
I disagree. XP had a much broader palette, at least for characters. Each color could have up to 7-8 shades if I recall correctly. VX/Ace had like 4 and if it got up to 5 it was for specific lighting details like in metal such as helmets. From the screenshots, I've been able to rip char samples and look at the coloring and I've also found that same tones-scheme of 4-5 in MV.

As far as other stuff, like tilesets, XP had much more washed-out looking colors while VX/Ace had more contrast and vivid tones. Honestly, from what I've seen in samples of MV so far, it looks like the saturation is pretty much the same as VX/Ace. Others who may have had a chance to actually look at the resources and work with them might have more knowledge to discuss it, but it looks that way to me.

Ramiro

Now with an army of Mecha-Ralphs!
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
There will be a really complete character template for MV, I mean the character editor's template will be good for all my needs

/gg.

I just have to waint untill the maker is out to make sprites...

Candacis

Pixel Pusher
Restaff
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
From what I have seen the color palette is more closely to Vx Ace than XP. But contrast seems to me a tad lower than in Ace and not as vivid as in Ace, too. But still higher than XP.

Mon Dez

Good Loser
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Tagalog/English
Primarily Uses
If the sprites are what I think they are then RIP my pixel skills. So dayum rusty from pixel art I need a re-lesson. lol

Fun part is I bugged out at the 37 extra plugins (which I hope I wasn't dreaming while reading the pre-order page) along with graphical addons. That's very very generous with the 10% discount. Gotta love this community.

ScoopJohn

The guy who asks too many questions
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Italian
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Holy crap, that's so really big! What did you use to do all of this? :S

Monochrome Phantom

Member XII
Reaction score
First Language
Bogan
Primarily Uses
Holy crap, that's so really big! What did you use to do all of this? :S
Background and the custom cat are made by artists whom I pay, as for the question underlying all this, just GIMP and the resources that were generously shown off in the demo and more of my own or artists stuff.

If using the element inspector to nab them was against the rules, then I apologize, I have pre-ordered the program, so I'm hoping that it will be okay.

I also recolored the chopper in TileC.

Resolution is 960x720. I know the default slated is 824xsomething but I couldn't remember abd it's been confirmed to have multi-res support.

There's a red tint overlay, too. Solid red set to 'soft light' blending mode.

So no, I don't have an early access version of the program or anything. Just Gimp and some devoted team members.

Last edited by a moderator:

richter_h

Eh? Sweetroll?
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesian
Primarily Uses
N/A
I disagree. XP had a much broader palette, at least for characters. Each color could have up to 7-8 shades if I recall correctly. VX/Ace had like 4 and if it got up to 5 it was for specific lighting details like in metal such as helmets. From the screenshots, I've been able to rip char samples and look at the coloring and I've also found that same tones-scheme of 4-5 in MV.

As far as other stuff, like tilesets, XP had much more washed-out looking colors while VX/Ace had more contrast and vivid tones. Honestly, from what I've seen in samples of MV so far, it looks like the saturation is pretty much the same as VX/Ace. Others who may have had a chance to actually look at the resources and work with them might have more knowledge to discuss it, but it looks that way to me.
I see. So I don't need to make another palette for MV sprites, as it has similarities with VX/Ace. Interesting...

But still I need to compare it myself, just in case the colors are a bit different than the colors I'm using right now.

Can't wait for the MV release, yet I haven't pre-order it and maybe I'll have a copy when the pre-order ends. There will be some projects involving the soon-to-be-released engine and I'll be taking the part of assets creator, which requires me to learn the basis of MV assets.

Rexxon

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Woohoo!

Finally got paid and got MV Pre-Ordered.

And now I just have to play the waiting game.

BloodletterQ

Chaotic Neutral Assassin
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Somehow, the music can't be leaked but Nina has a nice theme as you can tell if the sample crashes. It sounds kind of Tales-y imo.

Monochrome Phantom

Member XII
Reaction score
First Language
Bogan
Primarily Uses
Ooh, leaked resources.
I'd hesitate to call them leaked, most of them can be seen in the sample project, the only exception to this is the gun sprite and the icons.

I'm sure they've been shown elsewhere, I doubt any of that stuff is locked under NDA considering they're contained under a public resource.

If I'd been breaching NDA, sure... but, I don't think that's what is happening, considering I wasn't asked to sign one since I am not an early access tester. Just slightly web-savvy enough to known how to use inspect element.

Ultimately, plenty of other people beat me to it, there's examples earlier on this very thread, notably in page 6.

I'm just showing it in constructive use. Which will only really benefit the programs sales and marketing, so I can't see it being an issue.

I'm not pulling any sort of out of sight wizardry here, all of these are assets in the public sample project.

hmind

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
I feel like I should point out that you're really not going to be able to 'convert' Ace sprites to MV size. Ace is 32x32, MV is 48x48, so that's 16 pixels bigger along the X and the Y axes. That doesn't really fit cleanly any way you try to resize it. I spent a few hours last Saturday experimenting with this and in order for a single pixel to retain it's proportions as a 'square' you basically have to double the size of the image so that a single pixel becomes a four-pixel square. Resizing a 32x32 pixel sprite as demonstrated by our friend Ralph:

If you resize that in Photoshop you've got a few options, the bicubic styles which all look something like this:

Super blurry, not crisp at all. Then you've got the Nearest Neighbor option which looks like this:

Now it's crisp but since the pixel ratio isn't 1:1 you get weird things like the single pixels sticking out of his hair, the big six-pixel blocks on his elbows, and so on. What's worse is that it's inconsistent - if you look at animated frames you can see that the pixels the algorithm chooses to resize vary quite a bit in the frames:

You could of course go in and edit this, but looking at these, it would take so much work you'd be better off starting from scratch at the MV scale. This is what Photoshop does to them; I have a hard time envisioning a fan-made picture converting utility producing any kind of usable result. Obviously it can be done but it's either going to look real bad or take a real long time. Personally I would just make new sprites to 48x48 scale. I've done enough work for my current project that I will be sticking with VX Ace as redoing all my pixel art would probably take longer than just finishing the game in Ace.

Something to keep in mind if you're planning to convert an existing project. 
to resize to 1.5x you could simply use programs with pixel art algorithms like imageresizer and do something like: upscale 300% with "xbr 3x (modified) <noblend>" and then scale to 50% with "lanczos".

result:

Seriel

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Other
to resize to 1.5x you could simply use programs with pixel art algorithms like imageresizer and do something like: upscale 300% with "xbr 3x (modified) <noblend>" and then scale to 50% with "lanczos".

result:

That's actually not too bad.

Amy Pond

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English (UK)
Primarily Uses
That actually makes the VX RTP look alright.

Kes

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Probably neater and cleaner to upscale to 2x (use e.g. waifu2x), with only medium noise  - no half pixels to mess things up - and then use Gimp/Photoshop to reduce to 1.5 x

Going up to 3x and then back down again does seem to have blurred things a bit.

EDIT

Here is one I've just done that way for comparison purposes.

To my eye the images are sharper.

EDIT AGAIN

Yup, if you download both images and quickly flick from one to another you will see that the image that was upscaled 3x is definitely more blurred and some details have been more or less lost but you can still see them on the image done by the method I suggest.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

I have tried, several times to understand how Markiplier is popular. You can't deny his popularity. I can only get through a few minutes of his vids, though. He's cringier than ANY cringe comp I've ever watched. When I was a kid, if you acted like that, 0 friends and 100% no dates for you. Times have changed XD
Sometimes you may feel helpless and defeated. But everyone loses from time to time. It's okay to be tired. Take a breather. Have a good cry if you need to. You gotta take breaks from your workout, or you'll collapse before you can get stronger.
So, my roommates wrote a news article in English, translated it into Bengali with google translate and now I'm helping them fix the monstrosity which was the result. Making English the medium of education is fine... but not to an extent that we forget how to write properly in our own language :")
Stream will be live shortly with some more Minecraft spriting! Feel free to drop by~

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SehoraX