RPG MAKER MV PREORDER PAGE IS LIVE!

Discussion in 'Community Announcements and Events' started by Archeia, Oct 1, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GrandmaDeb

GrandmaDeb Modern Exteriors Posted! Veteran

Yanfly liked my post! I feel as though I have taken a step up in the world.

2. DeusEx

DeusEx Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Russian
    After watching today's video about plugins I have a question:

why "resolution change" functionality not a part of RPGMaker MV itself?

Don't get me wrong - I am extremely grateful to Yanfly for his Yanfly Engine Plugin, but why this functionality realized outside RPGMaker official developer? I mean ANY softwaree can consist bugs and ets, regardless of developer experience. If "resolution change" is simple task - why it doesn't implemented as part of Maker MV? If it complicated solution - then may be it can cause performance issues, incompatibility and etc.

p.s. For sure we all use any side scripts/plugins for our own risks and "as is". But anyway...

AwesomeCool and ?????? like this.
  3. BloodletterQ

BloodletterQ Chaotic Neutral Assassin Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    So the resolution changing doesn't mess things up if you port the game? Maybe that answers Deus ex's question?

4. Shaz

Shaz Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    It may not be something that was seen as a necessity by the developers.

5. Touchfuzzy

Touchfuzzy Rantagonist Staff Member Lead Eagle

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Honestly, I think some people want to go a bit too high with the resolution. I seriously think that no one should be going over 720p with it. Because 1. even with 48x48 pixel tiles, going to 1080p is going to show a huge portion of the map. and 2. anyone who doesn't have a monitor to support that resolution can never play your game.

Seriously, my laptop only has a 1366x768 screen. If you go full 1080p, I'll not be able to play your game (well, technically my tablet could play it).

Acetonide likes this.
  6. Zalerinian

Zalerinian Jack of all Errors Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    But I can only imagine that you could theoretically have your game scale to / support different resolutions? There's gotta be a Graphics.width and Graphics.height equivalent in MV, no? That can let us wrote scenes and such that scales to screen size by increasing image/font size or even window width/height.

7. Rukiri

Rukiri I like to make Action-RPGs Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    Other
    If MV is as open as it claims to be this is easily solved by using larger tiles and editing the tile-size presets and using TileD instead of the built in editor.

Sure manual event placement would be necessary but it isn't that bad. 

8. Touchfuzzy

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Yes, but using a large tile size still means anyone who can't support 1080p is unable to play your games.

And 2D Pixel art doesn't scale like 3D (or 2D vector). If you have resolution settings changeable in the game you will either need some kind of scaling filters, which are not ideal, or different tile/sprite/animation sizes for different resolutions, which is tons of work. That or people playing in different resolutions are going to have a different experience because the amount of the map they can see is completely different.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 10, 2015
  9. BloodletterQ

BloodletterQ Chaotic Neutral Assassin Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    So it won't work like it does if you zoom the screen on the preorder page?

10. Touchfuzzy

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Well, you can always full screen that was never an issue, that uses scaling, I'm talking about native resolutions.

11. Carde

Carde Degibeta Team Veteran

First Language:
    English
    I think the RPG Maker made stuff just generally looks better in lower resolutions anyway, but maybe that's just me. I've never felt the need to see a 2D game in 1080p.

Indrah likes this.
  12. Rukiri

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    Other
    The most common resolution is 1080p, steam poll was flawed as a lot were using 21:9 monitors IE 2x 1920x1080 displays or using eyefinity or surround.  

I can't find a monitor lower than 1080p at any store in town, and even on newegg it's a choir getting lower especially at the 23" range.  Of course... I just bought a 43" 4K monitor but not so much for gaming even though I have a Titan-X "I'd lower it to 1440p to get 120hz and overclock the display".  But for view consumption, my s23a950d is getting old and I had the form factor of it!  

What are laptops shipping with? 1080p.  Tablets? 1080p (unless you're apple but still > 1080p") unless it's a low end tablet. Monitors(at walmart, best-buy, staples, newegg, etc) average resolution is 1080p.   

You don't need a filter for scaling but a simple change in size like size * 2 "if everything is based on 2.    

AwesomeCool, The Stranger and sokita like this.
  13. Yanfly

Yanfly Developer

Some good news actually. You still would be able to play games if they surpass your screen resolution.. The below is me using the plugin to change the screen resolution to 3840x2160, which is quite larger than my screen resolution size.

[​IMG]

Long bars are long
    It is set so that RPG Maker MV will automatically adjust its window size to the maximum dimensions of your screen (minus the taskbar if you're on Windows). After that, the game canvas (inner screen) is then scaled to maximum fit.

Zeriab, Acetonide, NM Play and 9 others like this.
  14. PixelHeart

PixelHeart The Pixel Heartist! Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    Other
    @Yanfly- o_O .....that is even more ridiculous than....THAN ME! OwwwO

15. Killuki Zaoldyeck

Killuki Zaoldyeck Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Spanish
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Hem... I guess you're talking about window view, because most PS3/4/Xbox/Wii/anything games uses 1080p resolution and if you connect the console to a box-style TV or in a TV with a resolution even lower than 720p (let's say for example, 460p?), all it does is just look the graphics less sharper, with a worser quality (or no, depending in your TV quality or even the game you're playing). Would be really ridiculous if you make a game with a default fullscreen size 2160p (who would play "window view" in an Android device anyways? Unless they installed a program that let you change windows sizes of any app, you understand what I mean) and RPG Maker doesn't let you play it in a 480p device just because "this resolution is not supported by your device", it just doesn't make any sense at all.

And regarding resolutions, I really expect that if not Yanfly, there will be someone that will make a plugin/script that let the player choice different screen resolutions to optimize their gameplay, and I don't think that if they change the resolution form 460p to 1080p they will become unable to see the game at all like when you change resolution in your Windows. However, a well-done script that grants such option would by some way auto-detect your maximum screen resolution and would hide every unsupported resolution from the list to protect players from any issue.

EDIT: I said "Yamfly" by mistake....  :rswt2:

EDIT2: Yeah, my english level stinks sometimes. Me and my abuse of "let's" and "lets".... LET'S DANCE!!!....?

16. Touchfuzzy

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @yanfly, at that point, you still are losing some graphical quality from downscaling stuff.

@rukiri, That assumes everyone is using modern hardware. sub 1080p was a standard for a lot of laptops up until very recently. In fact, I went to Newegg, clicked on the first laptop I saw on the site, and it was 1366x768.

I mean, people can do what they want, and I was technically wrong about not being able to play a game over the natural resolution (I haven't seen all the plugins myself), but scaling 2D pixel art is not perfect, and if you want to be able to have your game played at good quality on the most machines, full 1080p native isn't the best bet.

Acetonide likes this.
  17. Yanfly

Yanfly Developer

Yeah, that can't be really helped. But hey, at least my iPotato 3 can still play it!

[​IMG]

18. Touchfuzzy

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    My computer at this point is basically an iPotato. God I need to upgrade my PC.

19. Rukiri

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    Other
    If you already have a high end GPU you could spend $850 and get a high end skylake setup, I already have a titan-X so it was a pretty affordable upgrade, not like my last full on PC build of $5000 some odd dollars!  I just shut up and throw my money when it comes to PCs. 

Are you sure? I mean I got a run of the mill dell laptop back in like 2003 and it had a 1080p display, same when I went to university back in 2008, run of the mill dell and still 1080p.   

20. Carde

Carde Degibeta Team Veteran

First Language:
    English
    I'm still rocking a 1280x1024 monitor. I'll probably stay using it until I can't anymore. Just fits on my desk so well.

The Stranger likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.