Dirge

Sound Engineer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English, German
Primarily Uses
N/A
Disagree with one point: your analysis of the community.

The vast majority of support is housed in the Discord server. You will frequently get answers there in minutes, and I've had multiple people jump in and spend hours helping me solve problems just because they can, multiple times. I've had people whip up quick custom plugins for me to accomplish what I need, and everyone's generally extremely nice and friendly.

EDIT: Not to mention the people who will whip up free resources and stuff. Avery, whtdragon, and plenty more who have made incredibly high-quality things (some by request) and put them out for free.

idillicah

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Disagree with one point: your analysis of the community.

The vast majority of support is housed in the Discord server. You will frequently get answers there in minutes, and I've had multiple people jump in and spend hours helping me solve problems just because they can, multiple times. I've had people whip up quick custom plugins for me to accomplish what I need, and everyone's generally extremely nice and friendly.

EDIT: Not to mention the people who will whip up free resources and stuff. Avery, whtdragon, and plenty more who have made incredibly high-quality things (some by request) and put them out for free.

I totally get that people's experiences may vary, and I didn't even know there was a Discord server. I don't think it existed when I first started using RMMV. Should my experience change, I'll update my review.

In the meantime, feel free to leave a comment on the site so that people know that my experience is my own, and that you had a different one. It will help them, I'm sure.

And yeah, free resources are awesome. Though I was referring mostly to troubleshooting.

Thank you for commenting!

Dirge

Sound Engineer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English, German
Primarily Uses
N/A
Absolutely - the Discord server isn't hugely advertised, but you're waaaaaaay more likely to get help there than on the forums. https://discord.gg/3WmYzZh should be the link to it :)

Poryg

Dark Lord of the Castle of Javascreeps
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Czech
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I don't agree with this review.
Ease of use: There's no coding needed? Only for basic games. For basic games I make in game maker I don't need coding either.
However, for at least basicly complex features you either need to learn how to event or how to code.
Cross platform being huge selling point? Not that hot really. 90% of computer users are Windows users, so the potential of Mac and Linux is not that huge. Also, Google's play store is overflowing with games and succeeding there is next to impossible, not to mention there are compatibility issues with certain plugins as well as with certain devices (e.g. Samsung galaxy S6).
Expandability has one major drawback. These plugins are not too customizable unless you know how to code. And Yanfly's menu appears so frequently it's annoying.

With the community I have to disagree as well.
I've never seen here advice "Google is your friend." Sometimes I link others to google, but when I do, it's either about a banal problem they could have solved by googling or about something that has to do with broader topic and not just RMMV.
And indeed, a beginner may often get lost in explanations. But I often see beginners ask either things that are too easy or things that are not for beginners.
Affordability is OK, I agree with that one.
But DLC, while abundant, are also incompatible with one another due to difference in styles of graphics. Although this is probably the best place to search for materials for JRPG.
Limited console support: Why is that a con? Again, if we compare the numbers of PC users vs. console users, PC wins.
I have to agree with the point that it is difficult to export to other platform. But then the last point is a lie.
The game engine is 100% modifiable, so that means you are able to create any game of any genre you want, including, but not limited to platformers, shooters, strategy games, pacman, tetris, puzzle games and bullet hells.

idillicah

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I don't agree with this review.
Ease of use: There's no coding needed? Only for basic games. For basic games I make in game maker I don't need coding either.
However, for at least basicly complex features you either need to learn how to event or how to code.
Cross platform being huge selling point? Not that hot really. 90% of computer users are Windows users, so the potential of Mac and Linux is not that huge. Also, Google's play store is overflowing with games and succeeding there is next to impossible, not to mention there are compatibility issues with certain plugins as well as with certain devices (e.g. Samsung galaxy S6).
Expandability has one major drawback. These plugins are not too customizable unless you know how to code. And Yanfly's menu appears so frequently it's annoying.

With the community I have to disagree as well.
I've never seen here advice "Google is your friend." Sometimes I link others to google, but when I do, it's either about a banal problem they could have solved by googling or about something that has to do with broader topic and not just RMMV.
And indeed, a beginner may often get lost in explanations. But I often see beginners ask either things that are too easy or things that are not for beginners.
Affordability is OK, I agree with that one.
But DLC, while abundant, are also incompatible with one another due to difference in styles of graphics. Although this is probably the best place to search for materials for JRPG.
Limited console support: Why is that a con? Again, if we compare the numbers of PC users vs. console users, PC wins.
I have to agree with the point that it is difficult to export to other platform. But then the last point is a lie.
The game engine is 100% modifiable, so that means you are able to create any game of any genre you want, including, but not limited to platformers, shooters, strategy games, pacman, tetris, puzzle games and bullet hells.

Hi! Thanks for reading the review!

As you disagree with only two points, I'm going to assume you agree with the rest, haha. Seems like people aren't too keen on telling me what's good about the review.

I'll go by item with your assessment:

1) Knowing how to event, and knowing how to code, are two different things. You can make a complete game, from start to finish, with complex eventing, without touching a single line of code. Fact. Not familiar with GameMaker as they f*cked me on an export module so I wouldn't touch that with a 10-foot-pole.

2) Leaving your very specific issues with certain devices aside, any tool that can be used to create more than one version of your product will have that as a plus. I personally have my own audience so I don't see "success" or "failure" based on the acquisition of an audience. There are as many games on the Play Store as there are on Steam so I don't see how your point makes any difference. Plus, at the end of the day, perceived value will remain the same, even if people don't intend to publish to multiple platforms, or publish for profit.

3) Expandability not being customizable isn't a huge issue for me. You say a particular menu plugin shows up too often? How many of those are actually published? Of those, how many reach the same audience? Does a menu looking the same really spoil it for you? There are console games that recycle entire stages. I can live with a menu looking slightly similar to another. But that's me.

4) Like I said before, if your experience with the community has been different than mine, I'm super happy and I hope you share that experience on the article, seeing as that's how people are going to see the review. They won't come here to find out that other people have had different experiences. Though I have to say, considering that this post has had 0 positive feedback or encouragement, I'm not really about to change my perception of the RMMV forums any time soon. In the end, though, this is my review based on my experience. Should you have a different one, please comment on the review itself to let other users know. I'm just trying to create content and share my experiences with other people. "And indeed, a beginner may often get lost in explanations. But I often see beginners ask either things that are too easy or things that are not for beginners. " <- exactly the kind of attitude that would make me write that kind of review. Other people take the time to help out anyway, instead of passing judgement.

5) All DLCs and assets for ALL game engines are, for the most part, incompatible with each other. Unless you're making your own, Unity, GameMaker, Construct and any and all game engines I've seen or used don't share a common set of standards for extra content. That's just the way it is.

6) How can not being able to export to a console not be a con? Leaving aside the issue of profitability, which is debatable, it is a feature that is present on other engines that isn't present on this one. I'm just giving information so that people know what they're getting themselves into. I don't want them to go full steam ahead and purchase an engine thinking they'll be able to reach every platform, when that's not the case. I tried to be informative. And actually, though I have had my games published on other platforms (not RMMV ones), I wish I could have exported to consoles. I'm sure I'm not the only one.

7) The last point being a "lie"... I guess we'll have to agree to disagree. If you're going to modify the RMMV engine to a point where it's able to make Tetris, you might as well use Construct or GameMaker or code your way into working for Google. It's completely impractical and makes no sense whatsoever. If you know enough JS to make Tetris with RMMV, then my hat's off to you... but maybe you should have saved yourself the headache and used another engine to begin with. I'm not saying it's impossible, just impractical. I can transform the code for a Wordpress plugin into automating email responses for me on my local server, or creating different flavors of ice cream based on Twitter trending topics. Doesn't mean it's practical, or that it'll be relevant to someone just getting into RMMV. If you know how to make something like that with RMMV, you're not reading my review to know if you should get the engine. And that's who the review is aimed at.

Thanks again for reading the review, and I hope I cleared up some points for you.

peq42_

Yeet
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese(BR)
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I hear rumors about console export... can't tell you from where/who but i can tell that there IS much interest in that(and consoles in general can run games made with canvas/webgl, so no problems here).

Also, about export being difficult: What?? You know that HTML5, Linux and Mac are 1 click export too right?(For Mac/iPhone it requires to be exported from a MacOS machine, but EVERY ENGINE needs that, because of apple policy). To android we have https://websitetoapk.com(It export for free, but you will need to take care of the requirements of Playstore to sell your game there) and MANY other ways. Some more simple, some harder. I can't agree with what you said in this point.
It may be a bit slower than some other engines, but that way it keeps the engine a lot cheaper. To export to HTML5, Linux,Mac, UWP and Mobile, Engines like game maker can ask around 500 dollars from you.

idillicah

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I hear rumors about console export... can't tell you from where/who but i can tell that there IS much interest in that(and consoles in general can run games made with canvas/webgl, so no problems here).

Also, about export being difficult: What?? You know that HTML5, Linux and Mac are 1 click export too right?(For Mac/iPhone it requires to be exported from a MacOS machine, but EVERY ENGINE needs that, because of apple policy). To android we have https://websitetoapk.com(It export for free, but you will need to take care of the requirements of Playstore to sell your game there) and MANY other ways. Some more simple, some harder. I can't agree with what you said in this point.
It may be a bit slower than some other engines, but that way it keeps the engine a lot cheaper. To export to HTML5, Linux,Mac, UWP and Mobile, Engines like game maker can ask around 500 dollars from you.

Here's hoping for a console export option! Glad I'm not the only one who thinks there's interest in that.

As for the export being difficult: There's a hell of a lot of setup to be done when it comes, for example, to creating an APK that works nice and fast. You'll need a third party tool and know-how to set it up. I wish it exported directly to APK.

Not familiar with Mac/iPhone as I refuse to pay a yearly fee for publishing there.

And I completely agree that it's cheaper than other engines. I included that information in the review, along with the fact that all export options come included and there's no subscription model. So we're on the same page there.

mlogan

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
So I was curious after reading some of the replies in the thread. I did read your review, and I feel like it's fairly accurate. I agree with your good points - I think most do, which is why that's not getting a lot of feedback. We agree, not much else to add, you know?

As for the reasons you may getting the response here, is well, your largest section is on how the community is bad, and yet, you come here, to said community wanting to know what we think. And while we are far from perfect, we do strive to make a good, positive community here.

I looked through your whole 10 posts and one thing I noticed is that you often did not start new topics, but replied in very old topics with your own questions. One reason we ask members not to do that is precisely that your question is likely to get less notice.

You've also asked very specific technical questions that not a whole lot of members here are going to know the answers to. And so, having buried those specific questions in old threads means that the chances of the right people seeing them are very low.

I did not once see anyone recommending you google as you've claimed in your review, nor did I see a single snarky comment towards you. If I'm wrong, feel free to link it for me.

I've seen many members here over the years offer to look at peoples' project files for them. Just this morning, I spent time creating events in MV so that I could screenshot them and show a member very specifically how to solve a problem. I know I'm not the only one that does this frequently.

I know it may sound like I'm attacking you - I'm not at all. I'm just trying to point out that the specific points you made in the largest section of your review don't seem to hold up. But, that's just my opinion and you are certainly entitled to your own.

LTN Games

Indie Studio
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I agree with the entire review. I mean it's an honest review and nothing seems wrong about it. The only part of the review worth discussing is exporting and the community, the engine itself is solid, it does what it's supposed to do and if you want to start an RPG game fast then RPG Maker Is the way to go.

The exporting is great for those who know a thing or two about HTML5 games and how to get them on a mobile device or console but it sucks for the children who haven't a clue what to do with the output of the files when deploying to anything other than desktop or Mac lol.
Mind you, if your a serious developer and plan on making a commercial game multi platform, you will learn to do it no matter what but the option should be easier for the hobbyists.

As for the community, I agree, and while my experience here had it's ups and downs I've noticed a huge increase and niceability from the old grumpy mods and members ;) either they have upped their game or I've become more tolerant lol. That don't change the fact on numerous occasions over the last few years I've seen many complaints about the attitude of some individuals and moderators and I've witnessed many ignorant comments from people your never expect. With all that being said, this community is large and at times can be frustrating watching so many of the exact same questions and concerns being brought up over and over again and maybe this has got under some people's skin? I don't know for sure but i do know if you hang around and participate in other forum discussions and not just support questions you will find the good hearted individuals and may find it an okay place to stick around.

peq42_

Yeet
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese(BR)
Primarily Uses
RMMV
As for the export being difficult: There's a hell of a lot of setup to be done when it comes, for example, to creating an APK that works nice and fast. You'll need a third party tool and know-how to set it up. I wish it exported directly to APK.
Even if it was possible, things would be as hard as they are now. Mobile in general work A LOT differently from PC. Mobile devices have less Ram, less strong CPU, less strong GPU(with less speed, less memory, etc),smaller screen,FPS limitations, and also mobile stores have many requirements(if i'm not mistaking, google play requires the apk to have less than 100MB). It doesn't matter the engine/program you use to make, if you project something for PC and then wish to port for mobile, you WILL HAVE to change many things(unless you project everything to mobile first and then port it to PC).Also, it's not that hard to setup. Just try finding "how to transform html5 games to apk" for android and you will find many things(for iphone i don't know).

The reason why we don't have a exporting tool, is that it would need to be updated every time that android/iOS were updated, also some modifications when running on some specific devices,etc. Thats a lot of effort and more effort means more money required.

Not familiar with Mac/iPhone as I refuse to pay a yearly fee for publishing there.
Nothing we can do. Apple thinks that it's a good idea to force developers to buy a Mac PC and a license to port to their plataforms. It's not the engine's fault.

Also, about consoles: I wasn't talking about our interest(custumers), but DEVELOPERS interest. What makes things a lot better for us :D

idillicah

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
So I was curious after reading some of the replies in the thread. I did read your review, and I feel like it's fairly accurate. I agree with your good points - I think most do, which is why that's not getting a lot of feedback. We agree, not much else to add, you know?

As for the reasons you may getting the response here, is well, your largest section is on how the community is bad, and yet, you come here, to said community wanting to know what we think. And while we are far from perfect, we do strive to make a good, positive community here.

I looked through your whole 10 posts and one thing I noticed is that you often did not start new topics, but replied in very old topics with your own questions. One reason we ask members not to do that is precisely that your question is likely to get less notice.

You've also asked very specific technical questions that not a whole lot of members here are going to know the answers to. And so, having buried those specific questions in old threads means that the chances of the right people seeing them are very low.

I did not once see anyone recommending you google as you've claimed in your review, nor did I see a single snarky comment towards you. If I'm wrong, feel free to link it for me.

I've seen many members here over the years offer to look at peoples' project files for them. Just this morning, I spent time creating events in MV so that I could screenshot them and show a member very specifically how to solve a problem. I know I'm not the only one that does this frequently.

I know it may sound like I'm attacking you - I'm not at all. I'm just trying to point out that the specific points you made in the largest section of your review don't seem to hold up. But, that's just my opinion and you are certainly entitled to your own.

Oh, I don't feel like you're attacking me at all, don't worry. My feelings are not THAT easily hurt, haha. I'm glad you enjoyed the review.

For your points:

1) I'm old school, I guess, but back in the BBS and forum days of old, it was preferable (at least where I frequented) to post on a thread that already existed rather than creating a new one. That showed, for one, that you've already read that thread and that the answers provided there didn't work for you. It also notified people who are subscribed to the thread that a new reply has been posted. I hadn't realized that posting in such a way was not advisable, but I'll proceed according to your suggestions moving forward.

2) The Google claims: I was referring to posts I'd seen in general, both here and on the Steam community forums. I admit freely that I wasn't told that myself, though I have seen it a fair few times, sometimes in questions that I'd asked myself when using the program. I might be able to find the links eventually.

I completely understand that experiences may vary, and I'm always super happy to read stuff that differs from my own opinion, specially when I'm proven wrong.

And while the item about the community might be the longest in the review, there's far more positive things said about the software than negative ones, and again, it's all based on my own experience. So it's always to be taken with a grain of salt.

Thanks for reading!

I agree with the entire review. I mean it's an honest review and nothing seems wrong about it. The only part of the review worth discussing is exporting and the community, the engine itself is solid, it does what it's supposed to do and if you want to start an RPG game fast then RPG Maker Is the way to go.

The exporting is great for those who know a thing or two about HTML5 games and how to get them on a mobile device or console but it sucks for the children who haven't a clue what to do with the output of the files when deploying to anything other than desktop or Mac lol.
Mind you, if your a serious developer and plan on making a commercial game multi platform, you will learn to do it no matter what but the option should be easier for the hobbyists.

As for the community, I agree, and while my experience here had it's ups and downs I've noticed a huge increase and niceability from the old grumpy mods and members ;) either they have upped their game or I've become more tolerant lol. That don't change the fact on numerous occasions over the last few years I've seen many complaints about the attitude of some individuals and moderators and I've witnessed many ignorant comments from people your never expect. With all that being said, this community is large and at times can be frustrating watching so many of the exact same questions and concerns being brought up over and over again and maybe this has got under some people's skin? I don't know for sure but i do know if you hang around and participate in other forum discussions and not just support questions you will find the good hearted individuals and may find it an okay place to stick around.

Thank you for reading and I'm glad you found the review to be on the decent side!

Sadly, I can't be part of the community on a more full-time basis. I'm in my 30s, building a home with my family, working full-chat to pay the bills. I barely have time to create content on the media outlets I work for. I know it's not completely fair to judge a community based on my limited exposure to it, but if a user needs to be in the forums for a long time to find the good side, it may be worth saying so for new users and it might be a good wake up call for those around the community who are willing to make a change for the better. And again, this is all based on my experience with the community, and the software. Each review is very, very subjective, despite whatever efforts we may make to have it done otherwise.

Last edited by a moderator:

idillicah

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Even if it was possible, things would be as hard as they are now. Mobile in general work A LOT differently from PC. Mobile devices have less Ram, less strong CPU, less strong GPU(with less speed, less memory, etc),smaller screen,FPS limitations, and also mobile stores have many requirements(if i'm not mistaking, google play requires the apk to have less than 100MB). It doesn't matter the engine/program you use to make, if you project something for PC and then wish to port for mobile, you WILL HAVE to change many things(unless you project everything to mobile first and then port it to PC).Also, it's not that hard to setup. Just try finding "how to transform html5 games to apk" for android and you will find many things(for iphone i don't know).

The reason why we don't have a exporting tool, is that it would need to be updated every time that android/iOS were updated, also some modifications when running on some specific devices,etc. Thats a lot of effort and more effort means more money required.

Nothing we can do. Apple thinks that it's a good idea to force developers to buy a Mac PC and a license to port to their plataforms. It's not the engine's fault.

Also, about consoles: I wasn't talking about our interest(custumers), but DEVELOPERS interest. What makes things a lot better for us :D

I disagree with the first point that it'd be difficult due to fragmentation, to implement a direct export APK. Construct are working on it and they're very close (if they haven't cracked it already) and the fact that it can be done through third party tools tells me that it's a matter of doing it. If you keep the restrictions of the platform you're planning on exporting to in mind from the start, then a one-click APK export would be no different than creating a Windows binary. It'll be project-dependent, just like it is for every other platform.

Also, Android doesn't update their web runtime with every update, and even if they did, no significant change has been made since 4.4.4 that would require a complete rewrite. That was years ago. Even if you don't want to go through the hassle of doing that, you could simply add a chromium fork into the export so that it renders inside its own environment rather than using the device's, which is what I do anyway to avoid issues with fragmentation on Android.

As for the thing about paying Apple's idiotic fees: my response about the fee was simply a way to say I'm unfamiliar with exporting to that environment. I wasn't saying that RMMV should somehow include the publishing fee into their exporting modules. I was just saying that, because it costs too much to have your game on the Mac/iOS store, I'm unfamiliar with the export process for those platforms.

Lastly, the console export thing is an offer/demand conundrum, and if there's interest from us (the consumers) then it might do the developers good to hear what we want. We are the ones who pay for the software, after all.

Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Just picking up one small point. In your last reply you lumped together this forum and Steam. My experience of Steam, and not just the RPGMaker support boards, is vastly different from my experience of this site. It is perhaps misleading to combine them. If you are going to include other sites then you would also need, imo, to include rpgmaker.net

EDIT
You posted again while I was typing.
Can I remind you not to double post. If you want to add something, simply edit your earlier post.

idillicah

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Just picking up one small point. In your last reply you lumped together this forum and Steam. My experience of Steam, and not just the RPGMaker support boards, is vastly different from my experience of this site. It is perhaps misleading to combine them. If you are going to include other sites then you would also need, imo, to include rpgmaker.net

I can't include other sites as I haven't had experience with them, but I did lump Steam and this forum because I had bad experiences on both platforms. If your experience differs, like I said above, please be sure to reply on the review so that readers know that my experience was not the same as yours. They are entitled to knowing as much as they can before making a decision, and that's what my review was all about to begin with.

peq42_

Yeet
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese(BR)
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I disagree with the first point that it'd be difficult due to fragmentation, to implement a direct export APK. Construct are working on it and they're very close (if they haven't cracked it already)
Construct doesn't have even near the potential that an engine wich code is javascript has. If it can port the same way, having the same performance, for PC and mobile, they are limiting games to what mobile can support(and adding an extra limit for not having a programming language, if i'm not mistaking).

Also, Android doesn't update their web runtime with every update, and even if they did, no significant change has been made since 4.4.4 that would require a complete rewrite. That was years ago. Even if you don't want to go through the hassle of doing that, you could simply add a chromium fork into the export so that it renders inside its own environment rather than using the device's, which is what I do anyway to avoid issues with fragmentation on Android.
Well, i asked a staff member some time ago about it, and the response was:
"There are some logistic issues as to why RMMV does not export an .apk -- the biggest being that Android and ITunes stores have rather specific requirements for the material that gets added to their stores and these requirements are updated frequently as mobile devices roll out system updates. The developer did consider the idea of exporting an .apk file directly, but even in testing, the exported .apk was not up to date and would not manage to make it into mobile stores. So, the user would trade one frustration for another -- they would have an .apk, but still be unable to put it on the market because it's out of date. Going through a 3rd party SDK is inconvenient, though at least it guarantees a file format that would be accepted by most mobile devices."

idillicah

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Construct doesn't have even near the potential that an engine wich code is javascript has. If it can port the same way, having the same performance, for PC and mobile, they are limiting games to what mobile can support(and adding an extra limit for not having a programming language, if i'm not mistaking).

Well, i asked a staff member some time ago about it, and the response was:
"There are some logistic issues as to why RMMV does not export an .apk -- the biggest being that Android and ITunes stores have rather specific requirements for the material that gets added to their stores and these requirements are updated frequently as mobile devices roll out system updates. The developer did consider the idea of exporting an .apk file directly, but even in testing, the exported .apk was not up to date and would not manage to make it into mobile stores. So, the user would trade one frustration for another -- they would have an .apk, but still be unable to put it on the market because it's out of date. Going through a 3rd party SDK is inconvenient, though at least it guarantees a file format that would be accepted by most mobile devices."

I believe you are confused, because Construct is based on HTML5 and JS just like RMMV (you can read about that in my review of it: http://www.infinitefrontiers.org.uk/2017/06/23/feature-construct-2-game-making-masses/ ), so I'm unsure what you mean. And yes, they will be providing a one-click APK solution sooner rather than later (you can read their statement about that in my interview with the developers here: http://www.infinitefrontiers.org.uk/2017/07/06/interview-scirra-construct-3-game-engine/ ).

Thank you for the response from the staff member. I'm unsure as to what they mean in terms of "outdated", but that's something that I can only talk to about with them.

I'd be happy to interview them, by the way! The Scirra interview gets a lot of views still, so if they're up for it, so am I :)

Poryg

Dark Lord of the Castle of Javascreeps
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Czech
Primarily Uses
RMMV
1) Knowing how to event, and knowing how to code, are two different things. You can make a complete game, from start to finish, with complex eventing, without touching a single line of code. Fact. Not familiar with GameMaker as they f*cked me on an export module so I wouldn't touch that with a 10-foot-pole.
You're right. However, it's not entirely different, the logic is the same. I've got three years worth of experience in 2003 and I have learned to event even really complex stuff without help. This knowledge has helped me understand programming better. But again, the point still stands. If you want to make more complex features, you have to learn either to event or to code. Or of course you may ask, but that goes without saying.
There are as many games on the Play Store as there are on Steam so I don't see how your point makes any difference. Plus, at the end of the day, perceived value will remain the same, even if people don't intend to publish to multiple platforms, or publish for profit.
Simply put, one question is whether the program can export to multiple platforms, which you correctly highlighted as a plus. On the other hand there is another question, whether it is actually worth it. For a game to be noticed on Steam there is a greater chance than for it being noticed on Google play store. So for example unless your game is a breakthrough, it's usually not really worth it to submit it on android. Not trying to attack your review, just made a counterargument to your point.
3) Expandability not being customizable isn't a huge issue for me. You say a particular menu plugin shows up too often? How many of those are actually published? Of those, how many reach the same audience? Does a menu looking the same really spoil it for you? There are console games that recycle entire stages. I can live with a menu looking slightly similar to another. But that's me.
I could live with the fact that some plugins are used a lot... For about two months. However, when you see one image again and again, it needs a change. That was the time where I started dropping plugins one by one until I just threw them all out of the window. The reason? They were everywhere and I was discontent with it. I was also discontent with the performance issues that came with using many plugins and with poor MV optimization. So I went on to change it :)

Actually, the different experience with community is exactly the reason why I kept it here. And also because the question asked in the poll was whether we agree with the review or not, so I voted No and stated why not. It's not like I tried to be attackish or something, just had different experience.

Also,
exactly the kind of attitude that would make me write that kind of review. Other people take the time to help out anyway, instead of passing judgement.
is kind of unnecessary. If I can, have time and am in the mood, I help people solve their issues as long as they aren't plugin requests (believe it or not, I don't have 1.4k posts on the forum due to spamming) and as long as it's nothing that requires basic knowledge of MV commands (believe me or not, there are questions like that). And I'm not passing judgement out of being judgemental when I talk about something being above a beginner. I've seen what I'd call "Yesterday I ran my first mile, tomorrow I'll run Marathon" people. Stating they were beginners, but asking about features that were far above their capabilities. And I'm not saying that because I'm mocking them, but because it was what it was. I'm not a negativist, I'm just a realist. And I still haven't solved how do I explain something that's far beyond someone's level so that they could understand. Maybe I'm a bad teacher, but I think that progress should be steady, not jumping into complexities immediately.

You are right with point 5. Unless you're searching for 3d models, which are expensive, it is hard to actually build something out of what can be found. Although I've seen quite a bit of resources for isometric games, so maybe that is where the future lies. But again, that was not meant to attack your review, just a counterargument showing that your extensive review is too shallow to be called extensive.

Not exporting to consoles is not a con. The consoles have a different audience, different core, different standards and different expectations. I'd instead say it as a fact, not as a con. After all, how many JRPG are there for ps4? Is it something they want? Who knows?

It's quite amazing that you decided to point out tetris :D Because it's actually one of the games that do not require any engine modifications. I've seen a tetris game made in RM2000. And in RM2k you had no scripts. You just needed to know what you can do with the editor.
Just like with MV. MV itself can create anything, even 3D games, due to the fact that you can enhance it with javascript 3D plugins. You can make a platformer without any need to modify the engine, in our Czech community we had a guy create four platformers, two side scrollers and a 2D JRPG in RM2003. So yes, there are other engines that are more practical for certain genres. But your last point is plain wrong nevertheless.

idillicah

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
You're right. However, it's not entirely different, the logic is the same. I've got three years worth of experience in 2003 and I have learned to event even really complex stuff without help. This knowledge has helped me understand programming better. But again, the point still stands. If you want to make more complex features, you have to learn either to event or to code. Or of course you may ask, but that goes without saying.

Simply put, one question is whether the program can export to multiple platforms, which you correctly highlighted as a plus. On the other hand there is another question, whether it is actually worth it. For a game to be noticed on Steam there is a greater chance than for it being noticed on Google play store. So for example unless your game is a breakthrough, it's usually not really worth it to submit it on android. Not trying to attack your review, just made a counterargument to your point.

I could live with the fact that some plugins are used a lot... For about two months. However, when you see one image again and again, it needs a change. That was the time where I started dropping plugins one by one until I just threw them all out of the window. The reason? They were everywhere and I was discontent with it. I was also discontent with the performance issues that came with using many plugins and with poor MV optimization. So I went on to change it :)

Actually, the different experience with community is exactly the reason why I kept it here. And also because the question asked in the poll was whether we agree with the review or not, so I voted No and stated why not. It's not like I tried to be attackish or something, just had different experience.

Also,

is kind of unnecessary. If I can, have time and am in the mood, I help people solve their issues as long as they aren't plugin requests (believe it or not, I don't have 1.4k posts on the forum due to spamming) and as long as it's nothing that requires basic knowledge of MV commands (believe me or not, there are questions like that). And I'm not passing judgement out of being judgemental when I talk about something being above a beginner. I've seen what I'd call "Yesterday I ran my first mile, tomorrow I'll run Marathon" people. Stating they were beginners, but asking about features that were far above their capabilities. And I'm not saying that because I'm mocking them, but because it was what it was. I'm not a negativist, I'm just a realist. And I still haven't solved how do I explain something that's far beyond someone's level so that they could understand. Maybe I'm a bad teacher, but I think that progress should be steady, not jumping into complexities immediately.

You are right with point 5. Unless you're searching for 3d models, which are expensive, it is hard to actually build something out of what can be found. Although I've seen quite a bit of resources for isometric games, so maybe that is where the future lies. But again, that was not meant to attack your review, just a counterargument showing that your extensive review is too shallow to be called extensive.

Not exporting to consoles is not a con. The consoles have a different audience, different core, different standards and different expectations. I'd instead say it as a fact, not as a con. After all, how many JRPG are there for ps4? Is it something they want? Who knows?

It's quite amazing that you decided to point out tetris :D Because it's actually one of the games that do not require any engine modifications. I've seen a tetris game made in RM2000. And in RM2k you had no scripts. You just needed to know what you can do with the editor.
Just like with MV. MV itself can create anything, even 3D games, due to the fact that you can enhance it with javascript 3D plugins. You can make a platformer without any need to modify the engine, in our Czech community we had a guy create four platformers, two side scrollers and a 2D JRPG in RM2003. So yes, there are other engines that are more practical for certain genres. But your last point is plain wrong nevertheless.

Wow, these are getting long, haha.

I actually have been a teacher and continue to do workshops for the technologies that I help implement in universities in developing countries, so maybe we have a different point of view on how to approach being asked a question.

A lot of your counterarguments are based on your personal needs out of the software. The fact that a feature is missing IS a con in my view. If it isn't in yours, then that's your prerogative.

As for how many JRPGs are on PS4 and other consoles: I've been writing for entertainment media for 10 years, and for gaming media for about 3 or 4. There are a lot of JRPGs and fans of the genre on all current gen platforms and beyond.

I stand corrected about Tetris and other genres! I'd love to see the games that aren't RPGs that have been made with RMMV, and how much (and what kind of) work went into modifying the engine to make those games. Maybe I can do a feature on them, too! Have them reach me through here if you can :) I'll be happy to showcase them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

Finally returning to one of my least favorite parts of game deving - mapping.
Me, adding new map: Okay, so this map will be the - wait...Map 501?! O.O E-excuse me?!
So, yup...breaking into the 500's for map count. Some are placeholders for now, since I haven't gotten around to actually mapping them yet. But soon. Very soon...oof, I'm scared.
Did anyone else get a 'sever error' a little while ago on fourms? because I did...
So... today was a friend birthday and she explicitly requested this little scene, otherwise she'll come to my house and shot me with a water gun.

Kinda late to the party but if you're trying to make a game with relatively large roster, my suggestion: be ready for a long, long ride yourself.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lucianth