xXHughezXx

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Ever since the last update that came out for MV the performance has really become sluggish atleast with my experience I guess. I swear it’s running at like 30FPS and my computer is pretty fast! I’ve uninstalled MV and reinstalled it to see if that fixed anything but no dice. Checked task manager as well but that didn’t pinpoint the issue at all. I don’t use a lot of plug-ins either so I know that’s not the issue. When I first installed RPG Maker MV there were NO problems and it ran seamlessly. But ever since that last update the performance has become rather choppy and sluggish. I don’t know what else to do and I’ve tried reaching out to tech support but didn’t really get any resolution. The issue is still occurring and honestly I’m ready to dump it from my computer if it’s not going to run properly.

peq42_

Yeet
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese(BR)
Primarily Uses
RMMV
MV's last update has been nearly 3 years ago, so it can't be the source of the issue.

Try updating all your drivers and your operating system, thats probably whats causing it

xXHughezXx

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
MV's last update has been nearly 3 years ago, so it can't be the source of the issue.

Try updating all your drivers and your operating system, thats probably whats causing it
I’ll double check. I just remember that there was a small update done a little while ago but I guess maybe I’m wrong.‍

EDIT: Updated my OS *Windows 10* but it’s still running slow sadly.

Last edited:

Shaz

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
If you create a brand new project, do you get the same issues?

A parallel process that never ends and doesn't have any Wait commands can cause lag.

xXHughezXx

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
If you create a brand new project, do you get the same issues?

A parallel process that never ends and doesn't have any Wait commands can cause lag.
I don’t think I tried that yet because I was afraid that I would accidentally delete everything. I do want to see though if this happens on a different computer though. As for the parallel process I shouldn’t have any issues there if that’s in regards to plug-ins as I don’t use that many.

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
as I don’t use that many.
it is not the number that counts, but the structure.

A game can have a hundred parallel processes with an intelligent structure to handle them, but a single badly structured parallel process can lag even the most modern computer.

that said, other causes for lag are large background pictures (or parallax maps) or if you exchanged the iconsheet with an extra large one - all those pictures need to be loaded without compression to be used, and that takes a lot of RAM if they get larger (the filesizes on the harddrive are compressed sizes and should not be used to estimate RAM usage)

xXHughezXx

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
it is not the number that counts, but the structure.

A game can have a hundred parallel processes with an intelligent structure to handle them, but a single badly structured parallel process can lag even the most modern computer.

that said, other causes for lag are large background pictures (or parallax maps) or if you exchanged the iconsheet with an extra large one - all those pictures need to be loaded without compression to be used, and that takes a lot of RAM if they get larger (the filesizes on the harddrive are compressed sizes and should not be used to estimate RAM usage)
In regards to the parallax maps I still have the same few that I’ve been using since before MV started acting out. My game is still in its early phases of development so there isn’t a whole a lot complex stuff being thrown in. Atleast not yet!:rswt

Shaz

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Parallel events have nothing to do with plugins. They are just events on your map, or in common events, with Parallel Process as the trigger. If you didn't know that, I think it's definitely possible that you could have created some without understanding how to structure them properly. Does the issue happen on all maps? In the menu and battles as well?

xXHughezXx

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Parallel events have nothing to do with plugins. They are just events on your map, or in common events, with Parallel Process as the trigger. If you didn't know that, I think it's definitely possible that you could have created some without understanding how to structure them properly. Does the issue happen on all maps? In the menu and battles as well?
Yes. There is a major lag during the gameplay which includes the maps, battles, and menus. I remember when I spoke to technical support he told me that RPG Maker MV had some kind of bug that pretty much thinks your computer is slow. He wanted me to do something with the files in MV which I didn’t quite understand and honestly I felt that would delete my game.

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
it isn't that easy to delete your game, not unless you specifically tell it to delete or try to work on it while it is stored in a cloudsync.

please make the following test to help us pinpoint the cause. And follow the instructions exactly:

1) make a new map in your game. don't edit anything, just the default grass
2) right-click on the map, set starting position: Player to this new map (you can change it back later)
3) save and start playtest
4) select new game

now - is the game slowed on that new map, yes or no?
the procedure above prevents about half the possible causes for lag and will tell us if the cause is in those parts or in the other parts.

xXHughezXx

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
it isn't that easy to delete your game, not unless you specifically tell it to delete or try to work on it while it is stored in a cloudsync.

please make the following test to help us pinpoint the cause. And follow the instructions exactly:

1) make a new map in your game. don't edit anything, just the default grass
2) right-click on the map, set starting position: Player to this new map (you can change it back later)
3) save and start playtest
4) select new game

now - is the game slowed on that new map, yes or no?
the procedure above prevents about half the possible causes for lag and will tell us if the cause is in those parts or in the other parts.
Alright. I followed the steps highlighted above and created a new map and play tested it. Even went and created a new project and play tested a new map but the lag is still present sadly…

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
if that happens even in new project, then the lag has nothing to do with either the editor or the project - it is another background program that uses up your resources while playing the game.

Known possibilities are:

1) damaged drivers - for example if your display driver's webGL functions are damaged or disabled, the engine automatically switches to the much more resource intense canvas mode

2) background program using up resources - this can either be general (in which case other programs would also slow down) or linked to HTML5-use (for example an antivirus checking the "website" continuously for infections, or a real virus misreading the game as a webconntection or a few other things)

xXHughezXx

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
if that happens even in new project, then the lag has nothing to do with either the editor or the project - it is another background program that uses up your resources while playing the game.

Known possibilities are:

1) damaged drivers - for example if your display driver's webGL functions are damaged or disabled, the engine automatically switches to the much more resource intense canvas mode

2) background program using up resources - this can either be general (in which case other programs would also slow down) or linked to HTML5-use (for example an antivirus checking the "website" continuously for infections, or a real virus misreading the game as a webconntection or a few other things)
It can’t be a virus but I won’t rule out the possibility that programs running in the background could be the culprits. When I get the chance I’m going to move the entire project to a different computer and go from there.

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

The worst text you can get from a friend "You left your webcam on!!!
When you start recoloring your character because lawsuits are expensive:

lawsuits are bad.png
Been busy in Fort Myers and I'm spending tonight and tomorrow in Orlando. Then I go home on Tuesday by train (I take the Amtrak) and rest up before work on Wednesday.
I'm going to make a thread on the forum asking an interesting question... about the next RPG Maker!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Unknown-Tale