RPG Maker MV Templates and Guideline

Discussion in 'RPG Maker MV Resources' started by Archeia, Oct 24, 2015.

1. evmaster

evmaster Think Outside the Box Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Oh man! You didn't have to do this. I was going to make my own. Wow. Thank you so much! <3

2. Pine Towers

Pine Towers Knight Hospitaller Veteran

First Language:
    Portuguese
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    At what pixel height and width does the Weapon_Sheet work? I plan to make custom SV_Battlers and want to know how the weapons will react to this.

1. If using a custom sprite, but with each cell still being 64x64, at what height I need to make my char hand to be so the default weapon sheet works?
    2. If using custom sprite size, like each cell being 96x96, does the weapon appear at what pixel distance from the "floor"? So I can adjust the X and Y via plugin.
    3. If using custom sprite sizeS, like a human using 96x96 but a dwarf using 64x64, what I need to do for both to swing a sword without it hovering out of place for one or the other?

Thank you!

Marquise* and jonthefox like this.
  3. Magixe

Magixe (∩ᄑ_ᄑ)⊃━☆゚*・。*・:≡( ε:) Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    TYSM! Makes it much easier to make custom graphics :3

Marquise* likes this.
  4. Hatake-hime

Hatake-hime Squishy Cat Summoner Veteran

First Language:
    English
    I'm a newbie haha, but

can someone tell me what the arrows are for?

I have redesigned the whole thing but the arrows arent in my text box in a question/answer or anything.

I would like the arrow to show up next to the question as if it's choosing which one.

But if its just highlighted instead, whats the point of the arrows?

5. amazonwalrus

amazonwalrus Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    english
    I remember making graphics was way easier back in the day using mspaint. How do I make animations? Not for the animations folder, but as characters folder thing? what does ! mean again? what template do i use to make like a 144x144 stargate animated graphic?

6. Shaz

Shaz Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    ! means they are drawn in line with the grid, not a few tiles up like characters.  For the image you're using, I think you'll want to use !

Also, take a look at your image and see if you want to use ALL of the animations.  There are 4 rows there - if you only need 3 of them, you could put them into a single character sheet (3 columns x 4 rows, with $ at the start of the name) and not have to make such a big character sheet to fit the 4th column.  I suspect that one of the ring with a transparent background might not be as useful as the others, and I'm not sure what the difference is between the two with the iris opening/closing - if they're the same, one of those could definitely be discarded.

Also, don't use MS Paint - it doesn't allow transparent backgrounds so you'll end up with white all around your image.  Paint.NET is a nice program that's simple to use - doesn't have all the complexity of GIMP/Photoshop.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 7, 2016
    Artificer likes this.
  7. amazonwalrus

amazonwalrus Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    english
    downloading now. so the $ means 3 frame animation?

8. Shaz

Shaz Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    No.  $ means your character sheet only has one character on it and not 8.

What you're asking about is more detailed than is meant to be in this topic (you are asking for help with a very specific character sheet).  I suggest sticking with the other topic that you created earlier, rather than having a conversation in two places.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 7, 2016
    Gothic Lolita likes this.
  9. Artificer

Artificer Creator of worlds Veteran

First Language:
    Español
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Amazing work this is a save time, a save life time! Thanks Archeia  BD

10. Dullstar

Dullstar Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Before tackling autotiles myself, I wanted to see how the editor put them together, so I made a template for them.

In case it can be of use to anyone, I made an A4 sheet of them. The templates may be useful on other sheets; I haven't checked them yet. The numbers allow you to see which squares the editor uses and when it uses them.

The gray and the pinkish/purplish ones are ceiling autotiles, and the blue and green ones are wall autotiles.

The upper left are only used in the tile selector and have no bearing on what the autotile actually looks like when you use it.

A4 Template

NOTE: I've removed the old version of the template from this post. The updated version can be found in my next post.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 29, 2016
  11. Andar

Andar Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @Dullstar: I suggest you read this http://blog.rpgmakerweb.com/tutorials/anatomy-of-an-autotile/

and modify your template (more specifically your numbering) with that info.

Because there is a better way to number the parts of an autotile if you know how it is used in the game.

(MV uses the same structure, only 150% the size of the VX and VX Ace autotiles. that means 24 pixel where the tutorial says 16 pixels)

12. Dullstar

Dullstar Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    @Andar

I numbered it the way I did because the way they numbered it in that tutorial didn't make much sense to me. So I just decided I wanted to determine the information experimentally, hence the numbering system I used (logic: I'm just going to write a number on each tile and see which ones get used by the program).

EDIT: I wasn't originally going to make the change but since I have nothing better to do I'll go ahead and make an updated version.

EDIT2: Unnumbered version. Version numbered according to Anatomy of an Autotile tutorial under production.

EDIT3: Final versions of templates (hopefully).

There are three versions of the templates.

One is unnumbered.

One is numbered based on how I did it initially (although I renumbered it so the wall/ceiling autotiles would match, and I used a font instead of hand drawing the numbers).

The last is numbered according to http://blog.rpgmakerweb.com/tutorials/anatomy-of-an-autotile/

EDIT4: Reposting information from previous post so you don't have to scroll back for it.

A4 Template - Unnumbered

A4 Template Unnumbered.png

A4 Template - My Numbering

A4 Template v3.png

A4 Template - Numbered Based on http://blog.rpgmakerweb.com/tutorials/anatomy-of-an-autotile/

A4 Template Alternate Numbers.png

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 29, 2016
    Archeia and Artificer like this.
  13. Doktor_Q

Doktor_Q I'm not a real doktor, but I am a real Q Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    A few questions related to tile sets, after a night of reading the help file. Hopefully someone can clarify things a bit.

Are the only time that can animate the "water" tiles in A1?

What significance is there to the various types of water tiles, other than boat/ship passability? Does it always assume A1 is entirely water tiles?

Is the .txt with the sample tilesets required by the editor, or just a convenience?

And lastly, if I were to make a water tile passable and set it as a 'bush' in the editor, would it hide the character's lower half with a transparent bit?

14. Andar

Andar Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Only A1 can contain animated tiles, but they do not need to be water tiles (for example there are lava tiles inside)

The boat/ship passability is fixed to the A1 tiles, but if you don't use a boat or ship on a map then nothing prevents you from using them for other effects.

You need different water variants to fit them to different land types

and the txt file only sets the names displayed for the tiles in the bottom line of the editor, it is completely ignored by the game itself

and your last question: yes, that will happen. Additionally, a passable watertile can no longer hold a ship or boat (they have inverted the passability, if a water is shallow enough for an actor to go there, it is too shallow for a vehicle to move.

15. SeagullKing

SeagullKing Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Just wanted to say thanks for putting this together! It has been a helpful resource.

16. Marushia

Marushia Neko-chan Veteran

First Language:
    Brazilian
    ^.^ whoaaa very helpful. Thank you!  :rwink:

17. Necro

Necro Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Omg this is great. I was dreading making templates and stumbled on this.

You're my hero.

18. Pixel raptor

Pixel raptor Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Helpful. However do you have one for attack animations?

19. Haruka_Akahoshi

Haruka_Akahoshi Villager Member

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    hi there i Have a little Quastion can I make Enemies with one of this templates too?

Sorry for my English

20. Andar

Andar Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Enemies don't need a template, they're single pictures of any size.

Only when you use plugins to change that you'll have to check for a template, and then that depends on the plugin used and such a question can't be answered in general