RPG Maker MV - v1.6.1 Beta

Discussion in 'RPG Maker MV Improvement Boards' started by Archeia, Apr 13, 2018.

1. Amane Kagari

Amane Kagari Romantics Shmohmantics Antics! Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Edit: Nevermind. I fixed it with a clean reinstall. (Full Uninstall and reinstalling/updating) Feel free to delete my post mods.

Last edited: May 9, 2018
  2. ColdAsSnow

ColdAsSnow Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I decided to try the Beta for 1.6.1 a few minutes ago, but when I went to opt in for the beta it seems that the option to choose 1.6.1 is no longer in the drop down list on Steam. Does anybody know if this beta has been removed? Or is it still showing up properly for others?

3. AceOfAces_Mod

AceOfAces_Mod Engineering to infinity! Veteran

First Language:
    Greek
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    @ColdAsSnow I am still using 1.6.1. Did you insert the code that it was in the first post? It won't show up without it.

ColdAsSnow likes this.
  4. ColdAsSnow

ColdAsSnow Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    That was exactly the problem! I somehow missed the password both times I went over the instructions. Thank you for the assistance!

5. ThomasHarris

ThomasHarris Villager Member

First Language:
    Spanish
    Has anyone added new character parts on this version? I'm trying to add new ones for child but they won't show up at all, I verified and they are all being added properly. I'm unable to downgrade to 1.5.2 for testing as I can't find the standalone version.

Last edited: May 12, 2018
  6. Jonforum

Jonforum Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    French
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
  7. Ally

Ally Linked Rooms Games Founder - Fleshforward Member

First Language:
    Italy
    Primarily Uses:
    RM2k
    Thanks for this update...finally...

8. Oscar92player

Oscar92player Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Spanish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    The Editor is working fine at the moment, even better than v1.5.2 (that crashes almost every time when writing messages or editing things in the database and events).

I didn't try a test with a new project, anyway, since I don't have too much time for that, and I'm sure other can make better bug reports using other methods than playing or special tools made just to find bugs.

9. KaYsEr

KaYsEr Koruldia Veteran

First Language:
    French
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Yes the editor is better, updated games are also faster. I had a chance to try on very old/weak hardware (I previously made some playtest with older MV versions on), and I can confirm a nice performance boost on that type of machine, same on more recent hardware to a lesser extent. :)

10. Oscar92player

First Language:
    Spanish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @Archeia Please, read this, because if this is going to be released officially, those bugs and issues must be fixed before, or else, RPG Maker MV will receive another broken update. This is very important for users and developers, because we don't want RPG Maker MV to have more bugs than before.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I've tested the latest BETA version in a new project, and an older project, and here are my results:

The projects now runs at 40-45 FPS with a lot of lag and screen tearing, with or without any kind of plugins. Games are unplayable at this state, and you should better fix those errors, because no one is going to update RPG Maker MV if this what we are going to have. This didn't happen in previous versions of the engine on my 'potato computer'*, so I still don't know how did you make this possible with this new engine version, unless you are searching the developers and players to have a Master Race computer just to make and play games made with RPG Maker MV.

Also, I've noticed that, when opening some menus (like the load menu on the title screen, the options menu, or save menu), there are small frames where you can see the black screen before the game shows the windows. That is intolerable, because we didn't have that bug in the past, and it seems is caused by the same thing that causes the lag and the frame drops: the new load and preload functions of this version.

And unless you are going to release a Preload plugin or something like that with this update, or improve the things the users are reporting, you should not release this update until you find a way to fix all this mess.

Of course, I didn't forget about other bugs that are still present in editor and projects:
    - Music delay issue (PROJECT BUG - reported long ago on this forum). We have this issue since the first release of the engine, and no one has a better solution for this than using a Preload Manager, and sometimes, that option does not work.
    - Change Tileset issue (PROJECT BUG - reported long ago on this forum). This one was fixed in the past for v1.4.1 and it went back with the PIXI update for v1.5.0. It was reported to @Hackerham months ago too, but I don't have news about it this since then.
    - Map Editor zoom issue (EDITOR BUG - reported long ago on this forum). This was supposed to be fixed with 1.6.0, and it was, but in 1.6.1 BETA, it is not, and that is the most odd of things. Why it is not fixed in a "better" version than 1.6.0? I simply don't know.
    - Frame drops when changing scenes (PROJECT BUG - reported long ago on this forum). Why are we supposed to suffer frame drops when opening a simple window? It is not an special effect, a complex animation, particles or something like that, it is only a window, with letters, numbers and gauges. Also, this happens when travelling between maps, but loading screens are supposed to be there to avoid this kind of things, right? Well, it looks like even that is not enough to avoid this issue...
    - Right-click button menu in Editor issue (EDITOR BUG - reported long ago on this forum). It was supposed to be fixed in 1.6.0 too, but... I don't know why it is not fixed in 1.6.1 BETA... another oddity to add to the 'oddity list'.

What I said before: if things like that are not fixed before the official release of v1.6.1, this update will be broken like 1.6.0. If this is supposed to be a big update, make it big. Whoever has any objections, speak now or forever hold your peace.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

*For those wondering what I mean by 'potato computer', here are my specs. Also, I won't forget to mention that RPG Maker MV worked fine in previous versions before 1.6.0 and 1.6.1, and for that, I have only one thing to say: My computer is NOT the problem, the problem is with the engine and the way you, the developers, are "updating" and "fixing" it, so I request to stop saying that I don't meet the minimun specs to run RPG Maker MV. I meet the minimum specs, for what it says in the Steam page, so it is by logic that my computer can, in theory, run the editor and games made with it without much problems.

Here they are:

Processor
    • AMD A10-5745M APU with Radeon(tm) HD Graphics
    • 2.1 GHz
    • 4 cores
    Video Card
    • AMD Radeon HD 8670M
    • 1.0 GB of Dedicated Memory
    • 1024 MB of Total Memory
    • Pixel Shader Version 5.0
    • Vertex Shader Version 5.0
    Video Card #2
    • AMD Radeon HD 8610G + HD 8670M Dual Graphics
    • 3.0 GB of Dedicated Memory
    • 4.0 GB of Total Memory
    RAM
    • 8.0 GB
    OS
    • Windows 10 Home (64-bit) Build 1703 (a.k.a. Creators Update)

Last edited: May 30, 2018
    Marquise* likes this.
  11. KaYsEr

KaYsEr Koruldia Veteran

First Language:
    French
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    What kind of potato are we talking about? :)
    Could you give us some extra info (especially CPU/RAM/GPU), it's always a good thing to have as much "benchmarks" as possible. :)

Oscar92player likes this.
  12. Oscar92player

First Language:
    Spanish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Of course, here are my specs:

Processor
    • AMD A10-5745M APU with Radeon(tm) HD Graphics
    • 2.1 GHz
    • 4 cores
    Video Card
    • AMD Radeon HD 8670M
    • 1.0 GB of Dedicated Memory
    • 1024 MB of Total Memory
    Video Card #2
    • AMD Radeon HD 8610G + HD 8670M Dual Graphics
    • 3.0 GB of Dedicated Memory
    • 4.0 GB of Total Memory
    RAM
    • 8.0 GB
    OS
    • Windows 10 Home (64-bit) Build 1703 (a.k.a. Creators Update)

KaYsEr likes this.
  13. Archeia

Archeia Level 99 Demi-fiend Staff Member Developer

First Language:
    Filipino
    Primarily Uses:
    VNM
    @Oscar92player can you try using Yanfly's FPS Synch option and just install it? Does the lag still happen for you?

Oscar92player likes this.
  14. Oscar92player

First Language:
    Spanish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Yes, I tried that option too, with this results:

With the FPS Synch ON in game, there is a terrible screen tearing with a lot of frame drops, about 40-45 in framerate instead of fluid 60FPS. That means that the player will notice a not fluid image, and probably, it will be a headache when trying to visualize things like animations, character movements and other kind of things related with the gameplay. This can be a problem in battles too, if the developers use ATB or other battle systems that require faster decisions, and that can be affected by this kind of issues related with image fluidity and frame drops.

With the FPS Synch OFF there are frame drops too, but instead of screen tearing, the game lags a lot, because it is running at real 40-45 frames per second. This will cause the game to run slowly, and this is not an option to avoid the screen tearing, unfortunatelly, unless you want the players to play like turtles.

In both cases, this problem is not fault of the FPS Sync plugin, or a low spec computer. It is something related with this 1.6.1 version of MV, because I'm using this YEP plugin in projects with older versions, and this didn't happen before in normal conditions.

In projects that are not using the FPS Synch option plugin, the main problem will be screen tearing and frame drops (because the FPS Sync was implemented by default in previous versions of MV), and for those using the plugin, they will experience lag if they have the option in OFF.

There is no plugin or preload manager that can avoid this. It is something it must be fixed inside this version of MV.

I know this are bad news for you, but you need to understand that plugins are not the main solution for this. If previous versions works better with or without FPS Synch option, it's because they were made better and have better optimization than 1.6.1 beta.

This version must be optimized a lot before you can release it, or else, a great number of players with the same computer specs like me will experience this issues.

15. bgillisp

bgillisp Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    @Oscar92player : Would you be willing to PM someone a copy of the project (encrypted) so they can see if they hit the same issue? I'd be willing to try running yours on my windows 7 machine and see if that helps (I also have a windows 10 machine I can test it on as well).

I figure it can only help the dev team if I report my results, as I've only made one project in MV and it was back when we were on version 1.1 of the engine (and that was just a silly dungeon crawler to test out my battle engine, so I wasn't using much either).

16. Oscar92player

First Language:
    Spanish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I will upload a few projects ASAP: my own project, that uses v1.5.1 of RPG Maker MV, another version with v1.6.1, and a new Project with v1.6.1. Why is my project in v1.5.1? Because you don't need an updated project to notice those issues with lag and framerate.

In all the tests I've done, projects that were supposed to use a previous version of the engine (in this case, v1.5.1), runs with lag in a play test with the editor in v1.6.1. That means, the main problem comes with the new functions implemented just to run a game, even if the project itself is not updated.

17. Archeia

First Language:
    Filipino
    Primarily Uses:
    VNM
    I tried 1.6.1 with OMORI and I didn't get fps drops on the newest one. It just doesn't make much sense to me since the newest nodejs is supposed to be really fast. We'll investigate the issue though.

Last edited: May 30, 2018
  18. bgillisp

bgillisp Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    @Oscar92player : Send away whenever you wish. It might be a day or two before I can report my results, but I want to see if I hit the same issue with a couple other machines to try to isolate possible causes.

As it is, I did hit a really bad lag with 1.3.1 and Yanfly plug-ins, but I never checked further after that as I decided to focus on finishing my ACE game. In fact, that lag issue is why I decided to keep my game in ACE instead of porting it to MV.

19. Oscar92player

First Language:
    Spanish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Is it possible to know the computer specs where you run OMIRI? If it's something related with that, I would like to know if you have a good computer or not compared to my PC, because my computer works fine with MV in previous versions than 1.6.0-1.6.1, and it is something really odd that this new version gives so much problems with lag, screen tearing, and framerate.

We have to assure that the minimum computer specs are not affected by this new 'nodejs'.

Also, I've noticed something that I said in a previous message: even if the project itself is not updated to v1.6.1, if you run the test mode with the updated editor, the game will still experience lag and framerate issues. I'm sure that this is caused by that new way to run the projects in 1.6.1.

EDIT: Another thing I've noticed right now: I'm using the v1.5.1 of RPG Maker at this moment, since v.1.5.2 and 1.6.1 are giving me problems, right? Well... I tried opening my project that uses the v1.6.1 core, and know what? No lag, no screen tearing, and no frame rate issues. That means it is what I'm saying. Something is wrong with the v.1.6.1 editor and the way it opens the games for testing.

As soon as I can, I will upload the projects, no problem. I will need some time, because now I have a lot of work to do in my classes, and I don't have to much time at this moment.

However, I'm agree that MV needs better optimization since the latests versions. Some computers are having to much problems becaus of that.

Last edited: May 31, 2018
  20. Archeia

First Language:
    Filipino
    Primarily Uses:
    VNM
    Nodejs or NWJS is the engine framework most HTML5-based softwares are using. https://nodejs.org/en/

I don't know if it has computer specs issues BUT I have received some reports that if you have any NWJS/Chromium based engines open at the same time, they affect each other's performances. So for example, if you have Google Chrome, Discord and RPG Maker MV game open at the same time, one of them will slow down each other to high heaven.

Last edited: May 31, 2018