bgillisp

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@Archeia : That makes a lot of sense, and might explain why I had to deinstall google chrome from my computer, as I needed to use a video capture program for work but with google chrome on it was slow and kept crashing. Once I deinstalled chrome, program worked fine.

@Oscar92player : Since I don't have chrome or discord on either computer, I can see if that ends up making any difference. But I know school is keeping you busy so whenever you get a moment.

Oscar92player

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Nodejs or NWJS is the engine framework most HTML5-based softwares are using. https://nodejs.org/en/

I don't know if it has "computer specs issues" BUT I have received some reports that if you have any NWJS/Chromium based engines open at the same time, they affect each other's performances. So for example, if you have Google Chrome, Discord and RPG Maker MV game open at the same time, one of them will slow down each other to high heaven.

Well, I've suspected that in the beginning. The thing is that the lag, screen tearing, and framerate problems happens even if you only have RPG Maker MV open (along with Steam, of course, because it is needed to open this program), I tested it, too.

There are no other programs open that can use Chromium or other things that can interfere with the engine on my computer, so I've discarded that option.

But, I can say I've used previous versions of RPG Maker MV along with Chrome, Photoshop, iTunes or Windows Media Player opened, and it is true that can cause some lag, but not the way v1.6.1 does. That is other thing that makes my think this problem is only caused by this version of MV itself.

Just to make sure, if it's not a problem for you, I would like to know your computer specs too, the computer where you run OMORI with v1.6.1, just for a comparison. My specs are not high, I can admit that, but that never give me so much problems with RPG Maker MV in the past, until you released this BETA version and 1.6.0 version. Something is wrong with this version, and it is mandatory to know why and how to fix it before the official release, or it will happen like the release of 1.6.0, with support threads opened everywhere and a lot of bug and crash reports.

Oscar92player

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I use a MAC for Low End specs. I'll check my laptop soon but it's pretty slow overall and from what I noticed it still play the MV game fine.
https://everymac.com/systems/apple/...o-2.4-aluminum-13-mid-2010-unibody-specs.html

Well, it is not a NASA computer, but it seems to have a better processor (2.4GHz Dual Core) than mine (2.1GHz Quad Core):rswt
Also the GPU have more power, because yours is a NVidia GeForce 320M, and I only have an AMD integrated GPU with APU functions (and it is not the best model, for what I can tell.)

That said, I can't say why your computer runs fine this version, and mine not. It looks like the computer specs are not a problem after all. Sorry if my question about the computer specs has bothered you or something like that, but I needed to know just to make sure this is not the source of the problem.

@Oscar92player : Since I don't have chrome or discord on either computer, I can see if that ends up making any difference. But I know school is keeping you busy so whenever you get a moment.

I'll try to upload the projects this weekend if it's possible. However, I will upload them without encryption, I can trust this is for testing purposes, and because it is better for you if you need to open the project through the RPG Maker MV v1.6.1 editor, and run it in test mode.

Jonforum

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Oscar92player
I congratulate your initiative.
but I think your message is addressed to the wrong person!!!
from what I understood Archeia
does not participate in the development of the software.

I did not see any interaction on the twitter of the official developer.
You may need to translate your message into Japanese and send it to the official site.
And @RPGMakerWeb only very rarely comes on the English official website.
You are not with microsoft, the Japanese developer not the same mentality listens as the American mentality.

if you want to be heard, send your message to the Japanese forums, or the official Japanese twitter.

Archeia

Level 99 Demi-fiend
Staff member
Developer
Reaction score
First Language
Filipino
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
@Oscar92player

Everything that goes here goes to the development team (aka the ones with the DEVELOPER badge). We are the ones handling the RPG Maker MV fixes. This entire forum wouldn't exist if we aren't active at all in the development team. Please stop posting such claims without asking us first. You're making my job harder than it should be.

@Oscar92player Can you check something out since you seem to be able to replicate the issues more commonly than we do. Make sure to do it in a test copy of your project!

Download from nwjs.io the SDK version, put it in nwjs-win-test in the RPG Maker MV root folder. Rename nw.exe -> Game.exe

If the latest version still give you errors, here are different versions of NWJS
https://dl.nwjs.io/

Ideally you should be able to get a version where the lag shouldn't happen for you.

Last edited:

Touchfuzzy

Rantagonist
Staff member
Lead Eagle
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
@Oscar92player

I did not see any interaction on the twitter of the official developer.
You may need to translate your message into Japanese and send it to the official site.
And @RPGMakerWeb only very rarely comes on the English official website.
You are not with microsoft, the Japanese developer not the same mentality listens as the American mentality.

if you want to be heard, send your message to the Japanese forums, or the official Japanese twitter.

I really think you strongly misunderstand who some of us are.

Both Archeia and myself are employees of Degica. I literally talk to the person who runs the Japanese forums and Twitter (I run the English forums and twitter), nearly every weekday, unless we just have nothing going on, as they are also an employee of Degica.

Degica 100% handles all the customer contact for RPG Maker, and we also take an active hand in development along with the developer, Kadokawa.

Not only that, but Archeia is the person who handles a large part of the development that is done on Degica's side, and is inarguably by far the person who knows the most about RPG Maker in all of Degica (I'm probably second (though I don't have any role on the dev team though am in contact with them obviously). I have 20 years of experience with RPG Maker, but she could still run circles around me knowledge wise.)

Also, @RPGMakerWeb is most of the time, just me, using a different account for official announces.

Oscar92player

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Everything that goes here goes to the development team (aka the ones with the DEVELOPER badge). We are the ones handling the RPG Maker MV fixes. This entire forum wouldn't exist if we aren't active at all in the development team. Please stop posting such claims without asking us first. You're making my job harder than it should be.

@Oscar92player Can you check something out since you seem to be able to replicate the issues more commonly than we do. Make sure to do it in a test copy of your project!

Download from nwjs.io the SDK version, put it in nwjs-win-test in the RPG Maker MV root folder. Rename nw.exe -> Game.exe

If the latest version still give you errors, here are different versions of NWJS
https://dl.nwjs.io/

Ideally you should be able to get a version where the lag shouldn't happen for you.

I've tried the 0.31.0 Beta SDK version (64-bits), and the lag still happens, in projects running with core versions of v1.6.1 and v1.5.2. I will try some more versions of the Node.js and see if something changes. I will report the results as soon as possible.

Also, do you know what version of nwjs.io uses the RPG Maker MV v1.5.1?

Archeia

Level 99 Demi-fiend
Staff member
Developer
Reaction score
First Language
Filipino
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
I've tried the 0.31.0 Beta SDK version (64-bits), and the lag still happens, in projects running with core versions of v1.6.1 and v1.5.2. I will try some more versions of the Node.js and see if something changes. I will report the results as soon as possible.

Also, do you know what version of nwjs.io uses the RPG Maker MV v1.5.1?

An extremely old one. 0.39 or something?

Oscar92player

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
An extremely old one. 0.39 or something?

It uses the 0.29.0 version, for what it says in the first page of this thread:
upload_2018-5-31_20-2-28.png

I've tried that one, and other 64-bits SDK versions, and here are my results. However, I need to warn you that they are not good results...

• v0.31.0 SDK 64-bits (BETA) [07-May-2018]: Lag, screen tearing and framerate issues are the same or worst in some cases than using the default version that comes with RPG Maker MV v1.6.1 BETA. I can say that this one is no suitable.
  • v0.30.5 SDK 64-bits [18-May-2018]: Lag, screen tearing and framerate issues persists, less than the default version of MV v.1.6.1 BETA. However, in some cases, framerate can cause a lot of lag if you have disabled the FPS Synch Option, and a lot of screen tearing with the FPS Synch option put in ON. I don't think this version is suitable to play, too...
  • v0.29.4 SDK 64-bits [08-Apr-2018]: The game window never opens, but you can see four processes of NWJS open in the Task Manager. Not suitable, of course, since you can't open the game test.
  • v0.29.0 SDK 64-bits [07-Mar-2018]: The default version for MV v.1.6.1, and it's a bit odd that this one is giving me the same error as the above version of NWJS; the game test window never opens, and there are four NWJS processes open in the Task Manager.
  • v0.28.3 SDK 64-bits [24-Feb-2018]: This one, too, have the same issues as the above versions of NWJS, and the four processes open in the Task Manager.
I don't know to much about programming, so I can't say why I have those strange issues, but my suggestion is to avoid the use of this in all projects. I mean... this v1.6.1 BETA versions is giving issues not only in updated projects, but in previous core versions, so it can affect all the players that wants to create games with the latests versions of the editor, but uses previous core versions in their own projects.

It has to be other option to avoid this way to run game tests, or else, everyone can be affected by this issues, even if the projects are not updated. Also, I don't understand why this MV v1.6.1 adds a package.json in every root folder of every project once you open them in the editor. I though MV couldn't add new files in projects, so the players have to update or add them manually after all the editor updates, just to avoid issues and problems.

EDIT: Did I mention that a project updated with core version of 1.6.1 Beta runs fine if you use a previous version of the editor? That is something really odd.

Sure it can have incompatibility issues with plugins, but that is something normal with new core versions until the scripters updates their own plugins.

But the rest is okay, no lag, no screen tearing and no framerate issues. Only the bugs we know about sound delay, framedrops when changing scenes...

The issues commented with 1.6.1 Beta only happens with the updated editor, not the updated projects.

Last edited:

Archeia

Level 99 Demi-fiend
Staff member
Developer
Reaction score
First Language
Filipino
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
I don't know to much about programming, so I can't say why I have those strange issues, but my suggestion is to avoid the use of this in all projects. I mean... this v1.6.1 BETA versions is giving issues not only in updated projects, but in previous core versions, so it can affect all the players that wants to create games with the latests versions of the editor, but uses previous core versions in their own projects.

It has to be other option to avoid this way to run game tests, or else, everyone can be affected by this issues, even if the projects are not updated. Also, I don't understand why this MV v1.6.1 adds a package.json in every root folder of every project once you open them in the editor. I though MV couldn't add new files in projects, so the players have to update or add them manually after all the editor updates, just to avoid issues and problems.

It's a necessary upgrade and you're one of the few edge cases that have it. Not everyone has the same problems with the nwjs and I'm beginning to think if it's your project or something or something about your specs that's interfering with HTML5 as a whole. Since your graphics card doesn't seem to be as good as NVIDIA that's a very probable cause. As for your statement about package.json, it's just a new requirement of nwjs and outside of our control.

EDIT: Did I mention that a project updated with core version of 1.6.1 Beta runs fine if you use a previous version of the editor? That is something really odd.

That's because it's loading the old nwjs. This update only updated the game engine (not rpg maker engine) which is NWJS.

Touchfuzzy

Rantagonist
Staff member
Lead Eagle
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
The AMD integrated CPU/GPU sets in general from the last time I've looked into them are pretty subpar.

bgillisp

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
That could be it, as I remember I used to have one back in 2007 and it did have odd issues when playing some games (not all, and it was odd. Some AAA games that were new would be fine, and some old games would have a hizzy fit with the hardware. You just never knew which one would act up or when or why). Granted, I had that laptop before I had RPGMaker, so can't compare that. Too bad I gave that laptop to a friend of mine for school or I could still test on it and see if that is the problem.

AceOfAces_Mod

Engineering to infinity!
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Greek
Primarily Uses
RMMV
The AMD integrated CPU/GPU sets in general from the last time I've looked into them are pretty subpar.

Yeah. Integrated GPUs are really small compared to the dedicated ones. They are integrated to the CPU after all. Although for some reason the Intel HD Graphics 520 on my laptop renders MV games (version 1.6.1 at least, with pixi.js filters) render it better.

@Oscar92player , this may be random (and I can't guarantee that it will fix it), but can you restart the computer and re-run the game, if you have Windows 8.1 or newer? Fast Startup has the tendency to carry over garbage data along. Restarting the computer should clean up the memory.

Oscar92player

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Yeah. Integrated GPUs are really small compared to the dedicated ones. They are integrated to the CPU after all. Although for some reason the Intel HD Graphics 520 on my laptop renders MV games (version 1.6.1 at least, with pixi.js filters) render it better.

@Oscar92player , this may be random (and I can't guarantee that it will fix it), but can you restart the computer and re-run the game, if you have Windows 8.1 or newer? Fast Startup has the tendency to carry over garbage data along. Restarting the computer should clean up the memory.

That is one of the things I do every time a game runs slowly, or give problems with framerate or graphics :kaopride:
However, I tried that, and RPG Maker MV v1.6.1 Beta gives the same problems, so the restarts are not the solution in this case, unfortunatelly.

It's a necessary upgrade and you're one of the few edge cases that have it. Not everyone has the same problems with the nwjs and I'm beginning to think if it's your project or something or something about your specs that's interfering with HTML5 as a whole. Since your graphics card doesn't seem to be as good as NVIDIA that's a very probable cause. As for your statement about package.json, it's just a new requirement of nwjs and outside of our control.

@Archeia @Touchfuzzy I've tried creating another project with core files from v.1.6.1 and I have the same issues with lag, screen tearing and framerate using the v1.6.1 Editor, so we probably should discard that this problem comes from my own project in MV.

And in case this is an issue caused by my GPU and CPU, then some other people can have this problem too if they are using AMD or other integrated graphic cards in laptops, since we don't know what kind of side effects will have this update with other computers. Maybe they will experience the same issues as I, or worst.

It is annoying, because, despite all the other bugs RPG Maker MV had, with preload manager and other plugins, it is possible to optimize a project, but in this case, the editor will be the real problem with that NWJS functions. My computer worked well with previous versions, and this one is going to be a headache because of all this issues...

The problem here is what could we do to fix this? This update needs to make things easier, not worst than before...

Archeia

Level 99 Demi-fiend
Staff member
Developer
Reaction score
First Language
Filipino
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Can you create a video so we know exactly what's going on with yours?

Oscar92player

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Can you create a video so we know exactly what's going on with yours?

Of course, here they are:

• This one is from my project, that uses the Core 1.5.1 version on the RPG Maker MV v.1.6.1 Beta Editor: You can see the screen tearing, lag and frame rate issues. I've activated the FPS window too, so you can see how serious are those framedrops:

• This other one is from the same project, but running in the 1.5.1 version of the Editor. The differences are clear, here you will see a smooth image compared to the previous video:

As you can see, on both videos, I'm using the FPS Synch option plugin made by Yanfly (in this videos, the option is called "Sincronización Vertical"), and in both cases, I've activated and deactivated it just to show you the differences between having the option ON/OFF on both versions of the RPG Maker MV Editor.

You can see the differences between the two, and the issues I'm having with v.1.6.1, like the lag, screen tearing and frame rate issues. Also, the menus have a little black screen before they load completely, and the battle runs very slowly (even if I'm not using animations at all, because I didn't put them in this project yet).

In the 1.5.1 editor, you can see the smooth image, and the game running at 60FPS in almost all the moments, except for those change of scenes, but nothing serious at all. Even the menus load very quick, almost without lag, and the battles too.

I've recorded them with OBS Studio at 1104x624 (the default resolution of my project) and 30FPS (since I don't have to much power with this computer to record at 60FPS, the default framerate of MV), so please, forgive me if the quality is nt very good, I didn't use it too much, and I have the standar configuration just for testing purposes with RPG Maker projects.

Archeia

Level 99 Demi-fiend
Staff member
Developer
Reaction score
First Language
Filipino
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
@Oscar92player Thanks! I forwarded this to the team and hopefully they can get a look into it.

For those who are having problems with 1.6.1 with your plugins and it has the following properties:
  • You are using ImageManager.loadSomething. (e.g. ImageManager.loadSystem('NewFolder/something.png'))
  • And using a custom folder
Go to rpg_managers.js and look for this:

Code:
ImageManager.loadNormalBitmap = function(path, hue) {
    var key = this._generateCacheKey(path, hue);
    var bitmap = this._imageCache.get(key);
    if (!bitmap) {
        bitmap = Bitmap.load(path);
        bitmap.addLoadListener(function() {
            bitmap.rotateHue(hue);
        });
        this._imageCache.add(key, bitmap);
    }else if(!bitmap.isReady()){
        bitmap.decode();
    }

return bitmap;
};

and change it to this:

Code:
ImageManager.loadNormalBitmap = function(path, hue) {
    var key = this._generateCacheKey(path, hue);
    var bitmap = this._imageCache.get(key);
    if (!bitmap) {
        bitmap = Bitmap.load(decodeURIComponent(path));
        bitmap.addLoadListener(function() {
            bitmap.rotateHue(hue);
        });
        this._imageCache.add(key, bitmap);
    }else if(!bitmap.isReady()){
        bitmap.decode();
    }

return bitmap;
};

Celianna

Tileset artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I'm having some issues with the editor. Since the 1.6.1 update, my resolution seems to be scaled up, like DPI scalings are on? I turned them off for RPG Maker though, so I should be seeing my true-to-size game window, but I don't.

I've set my resolution to 1109x624 but RPG Maker automatically boots it up in 1111x625 and the resolution is blown up. Example of the screen sizes side by side here. Left is a true-to-size screenshot of the game, and right is when I play test the game, the resolution is much larger.

Any way to get it to show true-to-size on Windows 10?

Archeia

Level 99 Demi-fiend
Staff member
Developer
Reaction score
First Language
Filipino
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
I'm having some issues with the editor.

Celi, when you make a new project and try to change the resolution, is it blown up as well?

I'm using Windows 10 and it's not happening on my computers.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

starting working on the sprites for one of my games major antagonists finally. here's the first frame of his chanting motion in battle.
Have spent too much time hammering out with a friend just how to make a reoccurring enemy that permanently learns skills you use against her.
I know what I want in a loose sense. Maybe I should just make a post asking for opinions and suggestions.
Shoot Enemy Off-Screen, Run RPG Maker Game as a Web Server, & Thai Keyboard | RPG Maker News #109

Some people have too strong of an opinion about what maker is the best, I've seen discussions like:
- I prefer VXAce because I like the style of the RTP better than the older releases
- You're worse than Hitler

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anitalains