RPG Maker MV - v1.6.1 Beta

Discussion in 'RPG Maker MV Improvement Boards' started by Archeia, Apr 13, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jonforum

Jonforum Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    French
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    you can maybe try setup how window will scale your app with this way.
    Experiment different option in the property of the app and reboot window.

[​IMG]

It is also not recommended to change the native resolution of your monitor, but rather to change the scale of windows 10.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2018
    Marquise* likes this.
  2. Celianna

Celianna Tileset artist Global Mod

First Language:
    Dutch
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Yep, it's on a new project as well.

@Jonforum that's exactly where I disabled the DPI settings. It seems to make no difference at all.

Fiddled around with the DPI some more, it´s definitely taking my system's DPI (which is 120%), but it is NOT ignoring the custom DPI settings at all, even though I've got it ticked off.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2018
  3. Jonforum

Jonforum Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    French
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    need to fix
    possibility to name project with point (.)
    it is not urgent, but on the side of the america and europa, the developers tends to classify their files and folders version with points to allow the window to understand the indexation.
    it a very easy fix.

Sans titre-1.png

upload_2018-6-6_23-22-22.png
    I am forced to change everything manually every time.
    i name with _ , after siwtch to . , waste of time
    thanks

4. Xiaonel

Xiaonel A wandering traveller Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    May be a bit late now.. but it's time for me to port my res to 1.6.1 betaaa

Jonforum likes this.
  5. Jonforum

Jonforum Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    French
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I also have another complaint.
    it would be nice to include a destroy button in the editor.
    To delete all content for work with a pure js editor.
    a big problem is that also if we put to 0 "null" 'delete' some functionality in the editor, the game crash.
    I find it not good for a open software.

we need manually delete in js and in the editor content.
    but..
    ALSO it not able to get a clear projet without error.
    we need hack js to get not error if we start with clear project.
    Sans-titre-1.jpg
    this it unacceptable for a software 150$.

6. Poryg

Poryg Pixie of the Emvee kingdom Veteran

First Language:
    Czech
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @Jonforum If you want new features, suggest them in the right place so people can vote for them. MV improvement boards - editor suggestions and improvement, there you can create forum threads and explain properly what you mean. Because for example I have no idea what destroy button should destroy and therefore why would it be useful.

As for the crash, when I had my computer, my experience was rather good. I had no crash even with a fresh project in v.1.6.1. Was there an update to core scripts recently?

7. bgillisp

bgillisp Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    I can confirm there is a small FPS drop when you open the main menu, even in an empty project in v1.6.1 with no plug-ins. It's about 5 FPS or so (from 60 to 55) on my computer, and I tested on a Intel 2.8 GHZ 8 core, 32 GB, Nvida GPU (4 GB memory I think on the GPU).

Since it seems many of the users have computer with a lot less memory and slower GHZ speed, we may still want to see if this can be fixed, as I can see it being more significant on slower computers or more graphically intense projects (like one with a higher resolution).

Edit: I went back and tested on ACE just for fun...was 60 FPS the entire way even spamming the menu open key. So it's something unique in how MV is calling the command to open the window, or something in how it is freezing events on the map vs how ACE did it that is more than likely the cause of this.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2018
    SimProse, KaYsEr and Oscar92player like this.
  8. Archeia

Archeia Level 99 Demi-fiend Staff Member Developer

First Language:
    Filipino
    Primarily Uses:
    VNM
    Try using Yanfly's FPS Synch option (it disables the fluid timestep by default) and see if you still get it. But the blur thing slowdown is normal on JS for some reason.

9. Oscar92player

Oscar92player Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Spanish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I've uploaded two versions of my own project for @bgillisp (using 1.5.1 and 1.6.1 Beta), both of them using the plugin for FPS Synch option, and he is having problems with the FPS drops in menus too.

If you need them, I can share the same projects with you and other devs, @Archeia, so you can test them in order to replicate this issue.

10. bgillisp

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Correct. It was actually worse in @Oscar92player project, as it went from 60 to 30 FPS and back, but in a clean project without FPS synch I only dipped from 60 to 55 and back.

Oscar92player likes this.
  11. KaYsEr

KaYsEr Koruldia Veteran

First Language:
    French
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    We often hear about this plugin whenever someone is having performance issues, but I’d like to remind that deactivating the fluid timestep through this plugin can cause bigger problems for people with monitors above 60hz.

I got one of these 120hz screen and if you purposely deactivate “FPS sync with monitor”, your game will run at the screen’s refresh rate, which is “120fps” here, but instead of being true 120fps, the game simply runs at double speed as many people here already know.

My point is… You don’t want an option in the menu of your game to basically allow players to cheat, we can say running at double speed is some kind of cheating, not even mentioning that it looks wrong/funny and can probably cause other problems (music/sound sync) etc.
    It’s not just your character running twice the normal speed it’s the entire game, it looks terrible so it’s not something you want to keep in your final release because it’s not reliable.
    (Soon enough 120hz screen will be the norm, I already know people with 144hz screens.)

That being said, this plugin is useful as a developer when you want to maximize performances when capturing a video but it shoudn't be in a final release unless you're happy with the fact players can break your game with a simple easy option. We're not talking about a mod or a hack here, but a super visible option in your vanilla game, YOU give them the tool to break it.

And please nobody tells me players with newer 120hz+ screens will figure out something is wrong and will go back turning ON the fluid timestep because... Never underestimate players if they can do something faster, I've seen my young brother playing RPGs from an emulator in double speed just to grind stuff, and then he keeps the double speed (and the stupid immersion breaking look) because why not.
    So I can easily imagine *some* people using that option to run an MV game at double speed from a 120hz screen turning OFF the FPS-sync on purpose.
    :D:D:D
    I’m glad you confirmed some doubts I had about this. I also encountered issues that I think are related to this.

One of my recent machine gives random crash-freezes on my game since the first version of MV (or at least I noticed it since around 1.3), and after all that time I realized it only happens whenever Chrome (with around 10 tabs including FB/TW/YT/Hotmail) is open at the same time… My guess is that some kind of plugin (stuff like Ad Block etc) is messing with the game player, or simply one of the tab, like idk Hotmail checking for new email, FB checking for new stuff happening etc.

It’s super random, most of the time it happens within 2 minutes, sometimes 15… Same thing all the time, the FPS counter go from 60 to 0 in a couple of second and the last rendered frame remains on screen while I suspect the game is still running (can hear the menu sounds when pushing the ESC key) so frustrating.

But if I play from a fresh start (without launching Chrome) >> no problem for hours.
    :LZSsmile:
    Do you think we can expect improvements about that serious issue, I’m afraid it can be hard to expect people in 2018+ to check a readme.txt where we ask them to close every program and play from a fresh start…
    What if Steam itself had some kind of Chrome-based browser (maybe that’s the case?), we’d be in serious trouble. :kaopride:

12. AceOfAces_Mod

AceOfAces_Mod Engineering to infinity! Veteran

First Language:
    Greek
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    I have a joke to tell: Steam uses Chromium Embedded Framework!

CEF is essentially a heavily cut down version of Chromium, used as an alternate WebView for apps.

KaYsEr likes this.
  13. KaYsEr

KaYsEr Koruldia Veteran

First Language:
    French
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Wow... gonna have nightmares now ahah!
    :kaoback:
    Well maybe it's not as bad as having the real Chrome running a lot of demanding tabs (like Fb/Youtube) and some extensions... I have stuff like Stylish or something to record sessions, this kind of thing probably doesn't help.

But our players should be allowed to have them, we can't just tell them to be careful about that nowadays, I remember back in the 90s or early 00s we were often told to close all our stuff (even the anti-virus) and start fresh before launching a game. But hey, we can always say that it's part of the nostalgic experience lol^^lol.

Marquise* likes this.
  14. Archeia

First Language:
    Filipino
    Primarily Uses:
    VNM
    The reason I have to bring it up is that in some cases, when the lag is bad enough, the thing can fix it.

15. bgillisp

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    @Archeia : I still see it as a problem because if I were to say sell a game made in MV and someone has a 120 hz or 144 hz monitor I can't just say "Use another monitor". Nope, my game and my reputation gets trashed instead because they think I made a broken game due to the fluid timestep being turned off, so I see that as a non-solution myself.

KaYsEr and Oscar92player like this.
  16. Archeia

First Language:
    Filipino
    Primarily Uses:
    VNM
    You misunderstand why I have people check it. I just wanted to see if the process does mitigate the lag despite monitor settings. Because I have cases where this thing has worked. It's something even older RMs have.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2018
    KaYsEr and Oscar92player like this.
  17. bgillisp

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    I suppose that makes sense. I just didn't want us to start seeing it as a fix-all when it will cause those other issues.

KaYsEr and Marquise* like this.
  18. Coopziana

Coopziana Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Not sure if anyone has already reported this but just to make you aware that @SumRndmDde SuperToolEngine plugin causes a bug in 1.6.1 which prevents you from using the "X" in the top right of the window to shut down your game. it also crashes the Client if you select the "Shut Down" option from the Main Screen (probably in the Game Menu too if you have that option) and after a Battle Test. The only way to shut it down is to open task manager and "End Task" on it. I've yet to come up against any other errors using SRD's plugins, but this one error could be rather frustrating since When making a game we tend to hop in and out of test play a lot just to make sure things are working as intended.

I will add that I've tried changing the settings in the plugin and it makes no difference and still crashes.

19. bgillisp

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    @Coopziana : That need to be reported to the plug-in maker, as they have to fix that. There's nothing Degica can do about errors in plug-ins.

Coopziana likes this.
  20. SimProse

SimProse Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    I've heard of many weird crashes and oddities with SRD's Game Upgrade and Super Tools plugins, to the point i've removed them from future games. It's a real shame SRD has chosen to abandon many of his plugins, as they could have become staples for the engine eventually. Instead, he's become a footnote as a plugin dev.

KaYsEr likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.