RPG Maker MV Will Not Open

Discussion in 'Tech Support-All Makers' started by iAmTriston5223, Sep 1, 2018.

Tags:
  1. iAmTriston5223

iAmTriston5223 Warper Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Well, i am in a pickle. I downloaded RPG Maker MV from Steam just a couple of days ago, and ever since I purchased it I have not been able to open it once. I will click "Launch" and the loading card will pop up briefly, then close. Steam will say it is running for about 5 seconds, then it will stop. I have been trying multiple solutions like re-downloading it, trying beta versions, restarting my laptop, clearing my Steam cache, and nothing so far has worked. My laptop {OS: Windows 7} should not be having trouble running this software since it runs Photoshop like a breeze, [EDIT: Clickteam Fusion as well], and even some 3D games. I have been searching for a solution for about 5 hours now, and I really do not want to have to get a refund, since I am really looking forward to using this. Please send some help my way.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2018
  2. Kes

Kes Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA

I am moving this to 'Tech Support' which is specifically for issues preventing the engine from running at all.

3. iAmTriston5223

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Thank you

4. Andar

Andar Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    if the windows closes, then either the exe is damaged or one of your background programs is blocking it.

If the exe is damaged, you need to clear steam download cache before checking file integrity - the steam cache gets damage about once or twice a year on average, and then you can't install anything correctly until the cache is cleared.
    There are instructions for this in the steam help section because this is a known problem that can't be completely prevented.

If that does not help, then one of your programs is blocking MV.
    Most likely an anti-malware or anti-virus that gets a false positive due to the fact that RMMV uses HTML-technology and saves locally - some antivirus programs consider that a website trying to infect you instead of a local program with regular access.
    If that is the case, you need to whitelist RMMV in that background program.

5. iAmTriston5223

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Nothing has worked, I've spent hours researching how to fix it. I'm just gonna get a refund.

6. Beyonslay

Beyonslay Warper Member

First Language:
    French
    Primarily Uses:
    Other
    Same issue for me. I tried everything to fix it but nothing worked and I can’t open it. Has someone found a solution for it?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Appvalley AC Market Tweakbox

Last edited: Nov 8, 2018
  7. mlogan

mlogan Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV

I am approving this necropost since it seems to be ongoing problem.

8. Andar

Andar Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @Beyonslay
    There is no single cause for this, there are dozens of different causes with the same effect.
    Because of this it is useless to say "you tried everything", we need to know in detail each step you tried because only then we can look for the possible causes you have missed.

9. ChrisH

ChrisH Warper Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    I just purchased the stand-alone version RPG Maker MV 2-3 days ago, & I am having the same issue that was reported on this thread.
    RPG Maker MV is version 1.6.1 according to installer file.
    RPG Maker MV will load its splash screen & then 5 seconds later Windows reports RPG Maker MV has stopped working.

I am running Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit edition.
    I have already enabled WMI, & added exeptions for RPG Maker MV to both AVAST anti-virus software & Windows Firewall.
    I even tried the Opengl32.dll fix reported in other posts & on STEAM.
    I have already attempted to uninstall & reinstall RPG Maker MV, but program still crashes at the Splash Screen (logo).
    I have the maker installed on a seperate hard drive from my OS drive, & it was installed to that drive & its folder during the installation.
    I currently only have Vanilla/base RPG Maker MV installed & have not loaded any of the plug-ins to its folder.

10. Andar

Andar Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @ChrisH several of your listed fixes have nothing directly to do with this, and you're missing a few other options.

First thing, make sure that both audio driver and video card driver are installed and have their own manufacturer listed in the driver details.
    If it lists "Microsoft" as the driver manufacturer, that is bad especially for the video card, you need to install the driver from the correct manufacturer.
    That is what the opengl-dll is about: it is only needed if the display driver from the manufacturer does not contain a current version of that dll, in all other cases installing that manually can cause version conflicts with the correct display driver.

If that doesn't help, we need a full check of your background programs - not one limited to antivirus. There are other programs that can cause the same, including network access control, parental guidance programs and in one case even a video capture program for let's play videos.

11. ChrisH

ChrisH Warper Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Video driver is current Nvidia GeForce GTX 750 Ti downloaded through Nvidia's GeForce Experience app.
    Sound Card driver is also the most current driver for old Creative SB X-Fi card. (I attach my speakers to this card.)
    The onboard Realtek High Definition Audio driver is also up to date.

I do not have Parental Controls configured on this PC, since I am the only user. Background processes 1.png Background processes 2.png Background processes 3.png Background processes 4.png Background processes 5.png Background processes 6.png Background processes 1.png Background processes 2.png Background processes 3.png Background processes 4.png Background processes 5.png Background processes 6.png

12. EXPGiver

EXPGiver Villager Member

First Language:
    English, French
    Primarily Uses:
    Other
    I had this problem too, but it wasn`t any way to solve a problem

13. Kes

Kes Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    I think it's unlikely that there is no solution. However, please do not spam a thread by posting something which does not contribute to that solution.