Uzuki

Kawaii on the streets, Senpai in the sheets
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I'm having some difficulty with how the engine itself is displaying fonts. I didn't change the default settings in the font section until today and didn't realize that the game wasn't even using the custom font I had, but the default Verdana in the font fallback box. When I removed it, the text is barely legible and doesn't even look like the custom font I'm using. I've made sure that the fonts are installed, but there aren't any plugin issues because this also happens in a blank project. What exactly is going on?

Note: The first image is the Verdana font and the second is when I remove it.

Attachments

• 2022-06-29 (2).png
    2022-06-29 (2).png
    984.8 KB · Views: 8
  • 2022-06-29 (4).png
    2022-06-29 (4).png
    660.2 KB · Views: 8

Eliaquim

Hakuen Studio
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese - Br
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Hi there!
Can you show us a screenshot of:
  • Your font folder.
  • Your database system tab, where you insert the font.

Uzuki

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hi there!
Can you show us a screenshot of:
  • Your font folder.
  • Your database system tab, where you insert the font.
Shoot, knew I was forgetting some screenshots

Attachments

• 2022-06-29 (5).png
    2022-06-29 (5).png
    334.1 KB · Views: 8
  • 2022-06-29 (6).png
    2022-06-29 (6).png
    89.3 KB · Views: 8

Eliaquim

Hakuen Studio
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese - Br
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
So as I can understand, .woff2 is a web font file that is somehow related to the .woff, but more compressed.
Maybe there is an issue with this.
or maybe the problem is the font file having a space character. Can you put the font filename without spaces, all lower cases?

If you try another font file, with the same or different extension(.woff2), the problem still happens or the engine manage to proper load the font?

Uzuki

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
So as I can understand, .woff2 is a web font file that is somehow related to the .woff, but more compressed.
Maybe there is an issue with this.
or maybe the problem is the font file having a space character. Can you put the font filename without spaces, all lower cases?

If you try another font file, with the same or different extension(.woff2), the problem still happens or the engine manage to proper load the font?

It still happens. I've used .ttf and ones with different spellings but there wasn't any change. I was using woff because that was the last format I had up after trying different formats to see what works.

NaosoX

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
From my experience, some fonts are designed for Web use and may have meta data attached. They may also have layered stacks of specific formats and RPGMAKER is not capable of utilising the fonts to its full potential nor modify it.
Common remedies are: use other fonts or use a font loader/manager plugin. I thought @Eliaquim had one?

Uzuki

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Just tried one but it didn't do anything. I would try Hakuen's but unfortunetly their plugins clashes with Visutella's plugins and so I can't try to see if their font loader works.

Eliaquim

Hakuen Studio
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese - Br
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
It still happens. I've used .ttf and ones with different spellings but there wasn't any change. I was using woff because that was the last format I had up after trying different formats to see what works.
- Sorry to hear that. If even on a clean project, with the changes I suggested, it didn't work, so I don't know what it can be. =/

From my experience, some fonts are designed for Web use and may have meta data attached. They may also have layered stacks of specific formats and RPGMAKER is not capable of utilising the fonts to its full potential nor modify it.
Common remedies are: use other fonts or use a font loader/manager plugin. I thought @Eliaquim had one?
- Yeah, I do have one font loader/manager plugin. But I don't know if it is the case to use it, because even with a clean project and using other fonts it didn't work...

@Uzuki Try this sample project with the default font. See if it will work as it is. If yes, then you try to change the font again on this project and see if works with a different font.

[EDIT]
Just tried one but it didn't do anything. I would try Hakuen's but unfortunetly their plugins clashes with Visutella's plugins and so I can't try to see if their font loader works.
Let me know about that on PM if you need anything. If it is something simple, I sure can take a look.

Uzuki

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
- Sorry to hear that. If even on a clean project, with the changes I suggested, it didn't work, so I don't know what it can be. =/

- Yeah, I do have one font loader/manager plugin. But I don't know if it is the case to use it, because even with a clean project and using other fonts it didn't work...

@Uzuki Try this sample project with the default font. See if it will work as it is. If yes, then you try to change the font again on this project and see if works with a different font.

[EDIT]

Let me know about that on PM if you need anything. If it is something simple, I sure can take a look.

Yeah it's the same with my original blank project too, they just turn into that tiny font that won't change. And yeah I'll hit you up about that issue. It was a few of months ago so you might have already fixed it by now. I'll update it and let you know in PMs.

Edit: There weren't any confliction issues with the visutella plugins so whatever the issue was was resolved. Unfortunately the font plugin didn't help at all.

Last edited:

Eliaquim

Hakuen Studio
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese - Br
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Yeah it's the same with my original blank project too, they just turn into that tiny font that won't change. And yeah I'll hit you up about that issue. It was a few of months ago so you might have already fixed it by now. I'll update it and let you know in PMs.

Edit: There weren't any confliction issues with the visutella plugins so whatever the issue was was resolved. Unfortunately the font plugin didn't help at all.
That is really strange... do you have another computer to test this? I'm thinking that maybe that is something related to your machine or browser. But I'm lost now just as you are =/

Good luck!

Nice to know things worked with Visustella now ^^

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

What is a thing you like to see in RPGs?
Well, I hope things go well tomorrow. I think I might be coming down with a cold, so gonna warm up some chicken soup and sleep.
Status too sad. Pls delete, mods. Thanks.
The most important thing to design your game for is fun. If a game isn't fun, why would anyone want to play it? Well, that and "can you play the game?". Anything else is incidental.
I just realized that I have been on this site for nearly 1/3 of my life...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IvansGhost