Niten Ichi Ryu

Grey Lords Emissary
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Quite interested in Trinity material. Just want base bundle then, if you can get it I'll buy on the Rmstore

jonthefox

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
@jonthefox I've pre-ordered here on the main store, so if you want to do it now, you don't have to wait. Click 'Home' and it's the main banner.

Ah I didn't realize that! But I do also want the cover art and dark fantasy packs from the bundle, so I have to wait for that to be available in the main store.

Maliki79

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
The bundles seem interesting.
Prefer to get them directly from the RM Store. So I'll be waiting for hopefully just a little while.

winkr7

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
N/A
I get everything on steam because I lose passwords and codewords and forget where to update the software etc. Steam tracks updates and keys in general, scans for viruses and usually has a mod section. I have never found any limitation using steam and rpg maker.

this is in answer to
Drokkkon

Shaz

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
As a new "rpmaker" here, can anyone tell me what is different from buying the game at Steam or at rpg maker official website?

I never used Steam. What is different? I heard something about buying at steam makes the game "limited to steam", what does that mean?

So this applies for MV and MZ, but not the earlier engines. If you purchase from the RPG Maker Web store, you get the standalone engine, which means you don't need Steam to run it, but your activation code will also activate the engine on Steam, if you do want to download it from there. This doesn't mean you get two activation codes, so you can't give one to someone else - it just means you can install the Steam version or the non-steam version.

But it doesn't work the other way around - if you buy it on Steam, you will only be able to run it through Steam, and will not be able to have a standalone version.

Whether you buy on Steam or buy on the web store and activate on Steam, Steam will save your key so you won't have to go looking for it. If you buy on the web store, your key is saved in your account, so if you ever need to reinstall/reactivate the standalone version, you can just look up the key there.

The other difference is that if you buy on Steam, Steam will take a nice big cut of the sale, and the developers will get less.

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Drokkkon @Shaz
There is one more difference: Steam has "Localized" prices, that is part of why a developer gets less money for sales.
Basically in some countries where the standards of living are extremely cheap and people would never be able to afford software at imported prices, the local steam price gets a general cut to about 30% of the true price or even less. But those activation codes ONLY work in those areas - trying to use them outside of them will get you a "this code is not valid in your area".
And there are a number of countries with less modifications where you pay 80% of the regular price without a region lock (and in case of Germany the base price is 105% of regular price, which is why I prefer to purchase outside steam if possible unless there is a steam-sale).

Basically depending on your country the program can be much cheaper on Steam than on this Website. But that is nothing you can influence, you can just check if that is the case for you.

Jomarcenter

jomarcenter-MJM
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
ENGLISH
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Can I request a regional price match if I want to buy the RMW store version or I can only do that in steam?

Reven

Random Person #255
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Reven Coming at this from a completely different angle, given the big percentage that Steam takes from every purchase, so leaving a lot less for the seller, it's possibly necessary to Degica's profitability that as many people as possible buy from the store here, rather than from Steam. I remember Celianna writing once that during a sale, by the time Steam took their cut, and then the publisher, she was getting less than 1 cent ($0.01) per graphic pack sold. That gives you an idea of the difference between the published price and what people actually earn.

30% is what steam takes based on the information I've seen, and while it is a fairly large chunk, I've heard that's around the standard that most storefronts take, though I could very easily be wrong (not counting Epic, but they have many other issues at this point as to why I would never use them). I have no information regarding the situation with Celianna and this pack, but based on what you wrote it either was on a massive sale to the point where it was being sold for pennies anyway, or the publisher was taking way more of a cut than they should have, or there was an error in how the split was done. I don't entirely blame Steam for that, as they weren't the only ones taking a cut from Celianna's profits. It does suck for Celianna though, and I hope her stuff is selling well.

As mentioned myself, I don't care if they do it or not, I got MZ on Steam because I was GIFTED MV pre-order on Steam back in 2015, so I couldn't get the 20% off on the RPG Maker Web store. I was merely pointing out that the statement made about not knowing how to check outside of steam if someone had it on steam could be figured out, as there are sites that have done it, and that Steam does make it clear if a steam account has the software in a couple ways, so if the RPG web guys wanted to, they could make it possible.

Jomarcenter

jomarcenter-MJM
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
ENGLISH
Primarily Uses
RMMV
So this applies for MV and MZ, but not the earlier engines. If you purchase from the RPG Maker Web store, you get the standalone engine, which means you don't need Steam to run it, but your activation code will also activate the engine on Steam, if you do want to download it from there. This doesn't mean you get two activation codes, so you can't give one to someone else - it just means you can install the Steam version or the non-steam version.

But it doesn't work the other way around - if you buy it on Steam, you will only be able to run it through Steam, and will not be able to have a standalone version.

Whether you buy on Steam or buy on the web store and activate on Steam, Steam will save your key so you won't have to go looking for it. If you buy on the web store, your key is saved in your account, so if you ever need to reinstall/reactivate the standalone version, you can just look up the key there.

The other difference is that if you buy on Steam, Steam will take a nice big cut of the sale, and the developers will get less.
another big difference is the regional pricing https://steamdb.info/app/1096900/ (MZ steam DB regional pricing list)

Sharm

Pixel Tile Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
@Jomarcenter The localized pricing is just a Steam thing, and they can only do it because they're so big.

@Reven The artists aren't working with Steam directly, so Steam isn't the only one getting a percentage, plus the artists have absolutely no say on how or when things go on sale.

Nolonar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French, German
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
RPG Maker MZ Preorders are NOW LIVE! Purchase during the Preorder period to get sweet bonuses such as 10% off (plus an additional 10% off if you own MV!)
I own MV on Steam, but would like to buy MZ on the RPG Maker Web Store (so I can install MZ on my non-gaming laptop without having to install Steam as well).

Is there any way I can get my extra 10% off?

Jomarcenter

jomarcenter-MJM
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
ENGLISH
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Right now Steam has the regional pricing, but we are working to get it on our own site as well.
So should I wait for a while or it will be placed after pre-order?

Aerosys

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
german
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Can you please provide more screenshots for all the Bundle DLCs? I have no clue if I will like the Dark Fantasy or Trinity Tilesets.. especially as some of them looks like MV? And I already have FSM Tilesets.

In Germany we say we "don't buy the cat in the sack" and I think it perfectly fits here.

slimmmeiske2

Little Red Riding Hood
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMXP
I don't know if this is helpful to anybody, but here are the previews for the Trinity DLC and the Dark Fantasy DLC that came with the newsletter:
RJueHFF.png

w3iyYvh.png

Jomarcenter

jomarcenter-MJM
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
ENGLISH
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I don't know if this is helpful to anybody, but here are the previews for the Trinity DLC and the Dark Fantasy DLC that came with the newsletter:
RJueHFF.png

w3iyYvh.png
Odd.. I never received such newsletter or any MZ newsletter despite signing up

slimmmeiske2

Little Red Riding Hood
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMXP
@Jomarcenter I got it this Monday. It was the first one about MZ I received. Honestly the theme template it uses is identical to when I get a newsletter from Degica Games, so I believe it was sent out to their mailing list. Looking at our site now, I don't believe we even have a RM-only newsletter though I might be wrong.

Last edited:

Jomarcenter

jomarcenter-MJM
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
ENGLISH
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@slimmmeiske2 there was before I was subscribed since the Pre MV days (I also use VX ace and there was a mailing list). maybe they didn't transfer the old mailing list to the degica games mailing list that why I stopped receiving newsletter. oh well I just subscribed to degica games instead.

Probotector 200X

Probotect and Serve
Veteran
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
That Tanooki looks familiar, like VX Samurai Pack familiar...

That Dark Fantasy Lizard Man SV battler though, that's pretty cool, I really want to see the whole sheet, guess I better buy it then!

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

I just watched a trailer for the upcoming 2021 JRPG Fantasian. They demonstrated an interesting mechanic where random encounters can be sent to a stockpile instead of fighting them right away, which can be emptied in a single battle string at the player's choice of timing.
"The pleasure from the senses seems like nectar at first, but it is sour as the toxin in the end." -Kirshna
Just finished my first ever game - Aeon's Destiny! This was a lifelong dream and after hundreds of hours, I've made something I'm very proud of. Please check it out!

Demo project with NPC Scheduler and other OcRam -plugins is now available!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Waste-Banana