RPG Maker MZ Preview #1: Music, Battles, Animations!

Status
Not open for further replies.

K2loid

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
The MUSIC PREVIEW....TOWN5..........FIELD2......THEME2
giphy.gif

The composition work on this is SOOOO GOOOOOOOOOD I love it I love that it's part of the first content drop, everyone gets fed today

& The content dropping via a SKIT...thats soooooo cute I love the dedication and how it being presented as a game with a story shows off all the menus and assets! & Reid being an isekai protagonist...lmfaoooooooo

I really like the UI; something of a appealing middle ground between the kinds of menus you see in mobile games VS the more focused construction of something released on a console. I think cheap mobile RPG menus are absolutely hideous, so props for making that visually digestible lol. And I'm hearing new UI SFX! Not sure how how I feel about them yet, but I hear them!!!!!

I see those slow "..."s. I cannot for the life of me remember how MV's text options work, but I'm wondering if MZ's are more diverse?

The particles...I LOOOOOOOOVE the rotation function, the ability to move animations around makes everything so easy to edit and manipulate, and so quickly! Finally, the meat has arrived!

SJWebster

Too old for this ****
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English (UK)
Primarily Uses
RMMV
A fair amount to take in.

Music - I actually do like the music, but as with all RTP, I'm only ever likely to use it for game jams or as placeholders.

Battles - Really glad to see the new systems. Looks like we can limit the number of skill uses in a row / per battle going by some of the descriptions? Also, transformations, that's a huge deal!

Animations - This is a massive turn off for me. I like working with low res pixel art. I like making stuff that looks like it might have run on a Mega Drive / Super Nintendo, maybe Sega Saturn at a push. Working with a particle system and Effekseer... ew.That's an entirely different aesthetic.
I can't hand draw my battle animations anymore? I can't control them frame by frame? I have to use an external tool and import them? MZ's doing a few things right (mapping, battles) but this feels like a step backwards. I would have at least liked an option between the old and new approaches.

Marketing - This week was a huge improvement, but we're four weeks in and I still don't have a price or release date. I know it's a drip feed to build hype and anticipation, but the execution has been mishandled. It feels like it's being dragged out, like they don't have enough content to give us something meaningful each week.

When a new RPG Maker was announced, that was the peak of my interest. You had a hot handover, I was willing to open my wallet there and then. The longer this campaign goes on, the colder it gets, and the more I start closing that wallet.

I think the marketing strategy is outdated by a few years now. We live in a Buy It Now world of instant gratification. "Why even go out to the store? Download a digital copy, get it delivered, all at the press of a button. Can't afford it? That's what credit's for!" (I'm quoting sales people here, I do not encourage irresponsible use of credit.) People don't like waiting these days.

I think that's why shadow drops are becoming more frequent, popular, and successful. Persona 4 Golden being a great recent example. Even when it's not a shadow drop, we usually learn a lot very quickly and within close proximity to the release date. The new Paper Mario for instance was a case of "Hi, you didn't even know we were working on this, but here's a bunch of stuff that'll make you want it. It's out in just two months. Pre-orders are open right now."

I think the frustrations are especially prevalent because of the leaks which, so far, seem to be accurate and legitimate (although I understand why the company would downplay them and remind us anyone can Photoshop a fake screenshot).
If you'd come out swinging with the info that was in the leaks, a firm date, and a price, you'd already have my money. As it stands, you've given me so much time to think it over I'm transitioning from an impulsive "I want this! Take my money!" to a more measured "Do I need this? ... Maybe not."

PixeLockeT

Demon Lord Lady
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
The only things I can really say are, the new heroes are a step up in art quality overall than last hero. And ooooh new extra menu styles? Nice.

New battle styles are welcome I guess. I'm neutral at this.

I didn't like the music and sfx at all (I rarely do like the sfx). The animation system seems good, but I'd not wanna be confined to it, I think.

Sword_of_Dusk

Keyblade Master
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I'm not fully wowed yet, but I'm sufficiently impressed for now. I'm a little wary of the new way to do animations, but since I never liked the old way, I'm optimistic.

Lion Blade Soler

Autistic Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I may be wrong about this, but it appears that one of the music samples seems to hint that RMMZ will come with the Arabian theme assets. If I'm right, then I wonder what other theme assets are on RMMZ. Perhaps, all eight themes that were on MV Trinity?

About the RMMZ battle system, I like it and it reminds me of the RM2k3 battle system. As it is, it should be easy (in comparison to past RPG Maker programs, that is) for me to create a plugin that will transform the battle system into something similar to the RMXP battle system.

As for the animations, I'll admit that I like the particle system and it is a game changer, but is it possible to create Attacker Animation (for monsters and heroes) with it? When I say Attacker Animation, I'm saying something like a skeleton soldier swinging its sword and not the actual sword slicing attack. Attacker Animation was something that existed on RMXP and the only way to bring it back on later RPG Maker programs (like VX Ace) was through script programming, which is what I intend on doing for RMMZ but through plugin programming instead of script programming.

DJK1NG_Gaming

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Awesome. Finally Active Time Battle for me to use.
Although it having the same SE is kinda disappointing.

Chaos17

Dreamer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
No (at least not in a plug and play way).
Are you part of the beta tester or coders?
I though the FAQ said there were no one on English side.
I am just curious.

Touchfuzzy

Rantagonist
Staff member
Lead Eagle
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
I really love the japanese site for MZ
So far it tells a lot if anyone's interested.. little things like some names for some characters.

Hey, some of my EN animated graphics got used on JP side ahaha. I got asked about them but I didn't know which ones they would use.

Also there is a reason we didn't announce those characters. You'll see them a bit later down the road on EN.

gif

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I also like to make pixel art animation for my low res project :( Can effekseer do that ? I don't know this tool yet. Thanks !

Sword_of_Dusk

Keyblade Master
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
It could be Yami.
Or any other with a Y name, There's even a Japanese coder with Y name, that produced plugins with RMMV
That would be quite the triumphant return.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Anyone going to talk about Chris Pratt Mario?
My friend just gave me chocolate milk at lunch today! My day is now 1000x better. Yay, choco milky!! :kaojoy:
RivalRamen_Games wrote on jacobv1014's profile.
I really like your profile picture! Who is that in it? is she an OC?
Making his first game

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nasciturus