RPG Maker MZ Preview #1: Music, Battles, Animations!

Status
Not open for further replies.

nio kasgami

VampCat
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
RMMV
The chances of MZ actually being written in TypeScript are extremely slim to the point of it being moot. I never understood peoples love for TypeScript for MV in the first place anyway, as the argument that "That way you don't have to worry about passing the right type to a function" is a bit silly, given how...most of the functions are called with common sense argument types, and the names for the arguments give an implied argument type. That being said, that is just my personal opinion on it, and people are more than welcome to create in whatever form of JS they want.
Yep as they say : you can program in 1000 and 1 way in javascript.

It was misconception from the person.

I just personally like using typescript. But its my overall love of c#.

I want to offers typescript support for people that enjoy it. I just think its an agreable programming language. I Dont want to force people to use it. I mainly want to offers the options.

Kaliya

// Caffeine Overload
Developer
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I want to offers typescript support for people that enjoy it. I just think its an agreable programming language. I Dont want to force people to use it. I mainly want to offers the options.
Oh it was not my intent to imply anyone is forcing anyone to use anything, I just personally believe people should try to stick to a similar style to the original code base to make it less confusing, and easier for new people to pick up. But as you said, there are a million ways to code JS and people should use what they want.

nio kasgami

VampCat
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Yeah i tend to stay with the normal code base as possible i still kinda wish that typescriot would export a little more like mv does but with es6 it does make it more readable lol

@Kaliya i do think that one thing that would benefit a LOT new user is proper documented code. If I have time i will sit and give proper documentation to the mz coding if needed

TWings

The Dragon Whisperer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
RMMV
The chances of MZ actually being written in TypeScript are extremely slim to the point of it being moot. I never understood peoples love for TypeScript for MV in the first place anyway, as the argument that "That way you don't have to worry about passing the right type to a function" is a bit silly, given how...most of the functions are called with common sense argument types, and the names for the arguments give an implied argument type. That being said, that is just my personal opinion on it, and people are more than welcome to create in whatever form of JS they want.
Not that I'm a Typescript fanboy, but it does have some nice features.
Aside from types, Typescript gives javascript the advantages of a compiled language. That helps preventing silly mistakes or oversight before even starting the test process.
One other really nice feature of Typescript as a programmer is beeing able to compile to older versions of javascript, allowing you to code with the latest standards while still having your script compatible with whatever environement you put it in.

That beeing said, I agree that It likely won't happen for MZ's engine (I'm not even sure if they took the time to rewrite it to ES6+ standards considering MV's code was mostly a copy/paste of previous versions), and It's up to everyone to work with whatever they're comfortable with.

PixeLockeT

Demon Lord Lady
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Nothing against the guy.. but the plugins i wanted to see weren't coming from him.
Some plugins i wanted to see never happened at all.

Yeah I also didn't use them cause those plug-ins were useless for anything I made. The only one that I ever saw that I wanted to use was the doodads things, but by then they'd put them behind a paywall, so I never bothered. I'll probably just wait until they're revamped for MZ to try any of them out. Since they announced about MZ that these plug-ins will be made and upgraded as well for this upcoming engine.

My go-to plug-in maker was that sumrndmdde or however he spells it. Although now I think he's dropped plug-in support, so buuu. :kaocry:

DoubleX

Just a nameless weakling
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Chinese
Primarily Uses
N/A
Not that I'm a Typescript fanboy, but it does have some nice features.
Aside from types, Typescript gives javascript the advantages of a compiled language. That helps preventing silly mistakes or oversight before even starting the test process.
One other really nice feature of Typescript as a programmer is beeing able to compile to older versions of javascript, allowing you to code with the latest standards while still having your script compatible with whatever environement you put it in.

That beeing said, I agree that It likely won't happen for MZ's engine (I'm not even sure if they took the time to rewrite it to ES6+ standards considering MV's code was mostly a copy/paste of previous versions), and It's up to everyone to work with whatever they're comfortable with.
I actually look forward to having the MZ using ES6+ or even TypeScript as well.

The changes from VXA to MV involves changing the language from Ruby to JavaScript, which is big enough for many VXA scripters not knowing JavaScript(including myself) to hesitate to just jump in(it took me 2 months to be comfortable with JavaScript), so I think it's just a special case for many MV codes to be copied from VXA codes, otherwise MV would risk scaring off too many VXA scripters from adapting to MV soon enough.
After all, largely copying the codebase from VXA to MV can help at least some such VXA scripters to pick up JavaScript and the MV codebase more quickly, and MV don't want to have too few plugin developers early on.

On the other hand, as long as MZ's really written in JavaScript, I expect a drastic codebase improvement(but I don't want to talk about any of the nontrivial MV codebase design issues here), due to the fact that MV plugin developers don't have to learn a new language to work with MZ, unlike what VXA scripters not knowing JavaScript had to face when adapting to MV.
I personally consider adapting to ES6+ from ES5 to be a drastically easier, simpler and smaller task(it just took me 2 weeks) than adapting to JavaScript from Ruby, and those not going to adapt to TypeScript can just ignore it entirely, as TypeScript is totally optional.
What's more, I expect some MZ plugin developers to be new to RM. Regardless of whether they know JavaScript, I'd guess that most of them will prefer ES6+ over ES5. Also, given the popularity of TypeScript, I feel that using TypeScript will increase the number of MZ plugin developers.

Of course, if the MZ codebase's indeed largely copied from the MV codebase, I'll still consider adapting to MZ, even though I'll really, really think twice before just jumping in :)

Last edited:

MikePjr

Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Yeah I also didn't use them cause those plug-ins were useless for anything I made. The only one that I ever saw that I wanted to use was the doodads things, but by then they'd put them behind a paywall, so I never bothered. I'll probably just wait until they're revamped for MZ to try any of them out. Since they announced about MZ that these plug-ins will be made and upgraded as well for this upcoming engine.

My go-to plug-in maker was that sumrndmdde or however he spells it. Although now I think he's dropped plug-in support, so buuu. :kaocry:
yeah Some randome dude made some awesome stuff.
I used a lot of his menu stuff.

Dalph

Nega Ralph™ (RM Tyrant)
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Italian Curses
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
About graphics again here (because coding bores me to death).
I hope MZ's RTP will have more futuristic tiles, MV didn't have that much and not many people made add-ons for the sci-fi theme that fit with the RTP style.
Hopefully with MZ things will change, I would like to see more mechs, spaceships and futuristic vehicles (motorbikes, flying cars, etc...).

Sanrie

Potato Head
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Bisaya
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Having able to make your own Particle animations is pretty neat, tho it's kinda off if we're combining them with pixel battlers but there's also a possibility to make a pixelated animation too. I'm guessing that MZ still support sheet animations since Effekseer has 3d to 2d export to images.

Dalph

Nega Ralph™ (RM Tyrant)
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Italian Curses
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
@Candacis:
Hopefully we can see more of it at the next reveal, and be wowed(?) if there's new stuff.
I would really like new vehicles included, even just cars but of a decent size, MV was seriously lacking in that department and the included ones looked more like toys, lol.

meowengine

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Yeah i tend to stay with the normal code base as possible i still kinda wish that typescriot would export a little more like mv does but with es6 it does make it more readable lol

@Kaliya i do think that one thing that would benefit a LOT new user is proper documented code. If I have time i will sit and give proper documentation to the mz coding if needed

Oh yes! I'm of those new users trying to learn the code base for MV and trying to piece together how everything works together and I use the Typescript definition file religiously.
Having properly documented code for MZ would be a dream come true for a learner such as myself!

Probotector 200X

Probotect and Serve
Veteran
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
@Candacis:
Hopefully we can see more of it at the next reveal, and be wowed(?) if there's new stuff.
I would really like new vehicles included, even just cars but of a decent size, MV was seriously lacking in that department and the included ones looked more like toys, lol.

I wanted to use all the vehicles as world map vehicles, which is why I think the cars were so small, but vehicle scripts/plug-ins are extremely rare and all the ones I've tried don't work out.

I'm hoping the default vehicle function is expanded. More than 3 vehicles and the "base" function most Final Fantasy games have, where you can push a button in a vehicle to go inside. Maybe that last part doesn't need to be a default feature, but I've always loved it.

mlogan

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Candacis While yes it looks like a lot of reused stuff, I pointed on out in the previous thread that you can actually see a fair bit of new stuff, enough to give me hope anyway.

SJWebster

Too old for this ****
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English (UK)
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hello, I have been working on a project in the MV program for a long time.
I have a few important questions, Yanfly said that they will update the old plugins and adapt them to the new engine, but there are a few important points.

1.Is MZ based on JavaScript?This is important because many people like me working on Yanfly's Lunatic codes.And it requires JS knowledge.It will be difficult to learn another language from beginning when it comes to certain stages in this JavaScript.If at least this is informed, we can prepare before the engine is released.

2.I really loved to dispose of Sprite sheets.Its really cancer and 192x192 resolution is too low.The lack of particle effects caused it to be a battle system far behind the age.But we can use some plugins to create sprite sheets from Unity Engine then port it to MV(Unfortunately most of the best effects on Unity Store)
Since the sprite sheets are removed, how will we adapt the effects we get from there or from other sources to RPG Maker MZ?

My honest advice would be to finish your MV project in MV. Get MZ for your next project after that. Otherwise you stand to lose a lot of time on a potentially frustrating and unnecessary porting process.

xabileug

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
they should have added the custom back image per window. even the window skin per window

killdude

RPD Officer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Turkish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
My honest advice would be to finish your MV project in MV. Get MZ for your next project after that. Otherwise you stand to lose a lot of time on a potentially frustrating and unnecessary porting process.
I cant because my project is %90 focused on battle system.Which is very lack in MV because of low resolution sprite sheets.Also if MZ will be a dissapointment I can move forward with MV.There is no Map or such events in my project but thank you anyway.

Dark_Ansem

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RM2k3
I cant because my project is %90 focused on battle system.Which is very lack in MV because of low resolution sprite sheets.Also if MZ will be a dissapointment I can move forward with MV.There is no Map or such events in my project but thank you anyway.

Can't plugins fix that?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

I just lost an hour plus of time to trying to modify the _battlefield sprite... when in reality MZ calls it _battleField ;_;

Even when debugging for the "undefined value", it looked exactly the same to my 20/60 eyesight.

I really prefer this_naming_convention rather than thisNamingConvention !!
hmm... I just solved one of the more annoying sideview battler problems in MV.. Passive States and Visual States can make it so when your character is in crisis HP, they don't go back to normal walk/wait when it's their turn. they stay in the crisis motion... neat.
Apparently all of LGBT reddit hates me. I posted a simple question and only got hate mail. What's the deal? The doompost was literally 6 months ago and I've changed my views since then and apologized.
MOD NOTE: See second response before replying to this. - Wavelength
Amazing. Simply amazing...

JRPG Browser - Playlist:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ttkkttuu