RPG Maker MZ Preview #1: Music, Battles, Animations!

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheoAllen

Self-proclaimed jack of all trades
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesian
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@Lion Blade Soler
There're several factors as to why hiccups happen.
  1. Loading takes time.
  2. It is even longer when you change the hue. Changing the hue is taxing. So if you have a big animation sheet and change the hue, you will have longer loading time.
  3. Sound can not be cached. So if you have sounds played simultaneously in a single frame, it may contribute to hiccup. However, it is usually neglectable unless you really need one frame precision, like, if you try to make a top-down shooter game in RPG Maker. Normal RPG battle does not need one frame precision. So, if you're using looping animation, please leave the sound effect out.
The trick to solving the animation hiccup is to keep the image in the cache. You have an option to:
  1. Put an actual pre-caching loading screen as many games do so it loads all the animation graphics at the beginning of the game. This will NOT be a fake loading screen like Moghunter's script. The drawback is your game will use more memory.
  2. Cache the animation as you play. You will have no loading screen, however, the first time the animation is being played, you will have a hiccup. But the next time you won't have any.
  3. Use different animation sheets for different hues. That will save time for the engine to recolor the animation sheet.
  4. Use the BMP file format. Yes, BMP. The uncompressed file actually loads faster (from what I've heard) but you sacrificed the game size to do so.
The first and second solution requires script of course.

Rogue Milk

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
Also, because I gave this teaser somewhere else, so I wanted you guys to have it too:

My favorite new character design is Actor1_4.

Now, I can't show you Actor1_4 yet, but now you know. :D
It's the blue hair dude isn't it?

josephdevelops

Creator of Familia
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Better off? No.
No plugin maker ever made it even remotely close to Yanfly in terms of donations. Yanfly - over $1000 a month.
SRD - $159 a month if I remember correctly. VE - approximately $90 a month if I remember. +/- 20 dollars to both.
Reaching $100 a month in donations in RM community is a milestone not many have achieved.
If Yanfly is going to pay someone to port the plugins to MZ, it is inevitably going to stay this way. Working for Yanfly will be more profitable than programming and supporting your own engine.
Also, Yanfly plugins already provide a code base you can work with, so porting Yanfly plugins from MV to MZ is going to be much faster than programming and testing the plugins from scratch.
If you are competent enough to port there plugins... there are plenty of ways to make money. 1k is pretty impressive I agree... it's **** for a business though. Even if you are based in an place with low living expenses (don't talk about USA). You start hiring people with a 1k a month budget... sounds like a rough situation to me.

Not taking away from what Yanfly has done, or how integral they have been in the community. I appreciate the plugins as much as the next guy. I'm just skeptical of the business model. Agree to disagree.

Lion Blade Soler

Autistic Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Lion Blade Soler
There're several factors as to why hiccups happen.
  1. Loading takes time.
  2. It is even longer when you change the hue. Changing the hue is taxing. So if you have a big animation sheet and change the hue, you will have longer loading time.
  3. Sound can not be cached. So if you have sounds played simultaneously in a single frame, it may contribute to hiccup. However, it is usually neglectable unless you really need one frame precision, like, if you try to make a top-down shooter game in RPG Maker. Normal RPG battle does not need one frame precision. So, if you're using looping animation, please leave the sound effect out.
The trick to solving the animation hiccup is to keep the image in the cache. You have an option to:
  1. Put an actual pre-caching loading screen as many games do so it loads all the animation graphics at the beginning of the game. This will NOT be a fake loading screen like Moghunter's script. The drawback is your game will use more memory.
  2. Cache the animation as you play. You will have no loading screen, however, the first time the animation is being played, you will have a hiccup. But the next time you won't have any.
  3. Use different animation sheets for different hues. That will save time for the engine to recolor the animation sheet.
  4. Use the BMP file format. Yes, BMP. The uncompressed file actually loads faster (from what I've heard) but you sacrificed the game size to do so.
The first and second solution requires script of course.
Thank for your guidance and for your suggestions :) ! Even though I'm planning to move to RMMZ, I may still want to finish what I started with on VX Ace as I'm planning to use the RMXP Battle System script that I created for that program as a blueprint of sorts for the RMMZ plugin, so I will look into your suggestions to resolve the problem.

K2loid

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I have been drawing nothing but sprites this week so I haven't been able to check in with the thread too often, but I ended up running into an old issue that brought me back. A lot of the assets in MV are simply TOO BIG for the maps, filling the tile up as much as possible, despite not being scaled properly at all. Giant pots and barrels are one thing, but the HUGE pickaxes&shovels, HUGE beds, HUGE books that don't sit on any non-autotile table; because the tables are fit to a tile, anything full-tile-sized object dangles off it, which is a problem consistent with all tableware, regardless of how the scaling looks. It feels like the artists went ham with zero regard for how these pieces will fit together when drawing a map.
1593583730468.png
Very "hope you like parallax mapping, idiot" of it.

Practically all of the assets work fine, so I hope MZ spares the effort to adjust.

Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@K2loid The ridiculous relative scale of things has been a gripe of mine from the very beginning, (I started when Ace came out) though I agree that MV took the problem to new heights. A bucket as tall as a person? A forest tree only twice the height? I ended up rescaling a lot of household objects and just ignoring the default sized trees etc.

K2loid

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@K2loid The ridiculous relative scale of things has been a gripe of mine from the very beginning, (I started when Ace came out) though I agree that MV took the problem to new heights. A bucket as tall as a person? A forest tree only twice the height? I ended up rescaling a lot of household objects and just ignoring the default sized trees etc.
Yeah like...the wine's hilarious because it's just a Somewhat Large glass and then a wine bottle the size of the entire character. It's why I never really bought into FSM; I like my 48x48 sprites, and yet if I use them, I have to deal these 4ft tall wine bottles. But at least FSM acknowledges that it's structured around tall sprites, because it comes with tall doors; the RTP doesn't have that excuse. Here is your little chibi baby. Here is a character creator that only takes chibi baby bases. And here's a book so big that if you stand it up it would block the character's line of sight

Skyroar

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
Primarily Uses
N/A
I don't mind stylized tiles (in regards to their size), but it does bothers me that many objects that you'd expect to be able to place on top of tables and such do not correctly fit in there.

Candacis

Pixel Pusher
Restaff
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
Yeah, that's why I made taller sprites for MV. The scale was always wonky. I never really got why the sprites are so small compared to the rtp.
However, I'm okay with some objects being bigger (or smaller) than they are. But it shouldn't be too jarring. For instance, I never bought into those 2 tiles high trees.

But I don't think MZ will fix this problem. My prediction is that it will stay exactly the same as MV.

Poryg

Dark Lord of the Castle of Javascreeps
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Czech
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@josephdevelops Yes, it's obvious that one won't be paid too heavily by that. But still, your comment was about people being better off with donations... Which the history has proven to be false. Yanfly was the only one who'd ever gotten any significant cash in donations. And only few people have gone over $100 a month.
Making good plugins and selling them for five dollars has more earning potential than making good free plugins and accepting donations for them. In fact it's not just here, it's a general problem even in the FOSS community - unless a project obtains a sponsor, in many cases they won't earn enough to even cover the costs. In fact lately I've even seen a Linux distro go from free to commercial, because the donations just weren't enough to cover even maintenance, let alone development.

beliziam

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Germany
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Yeah, that's why I made taller sprites for MV. The scale was always wonky. I never really got why the sprites are so small compared to the rtp.
However, I'm okay with some objects being bigger (or smaller) than they are. But it shouldn't be too jarring. For instance, I never bought into those 2 tiles high trees.

But I don't think MZ will fix this problem. My prediction is that it will stay exactly the same as MV.
Yeah, I hope FSM will someday make a character sprite compilation with taller characters to fix this problem.

Dalph

Nega Ralph™ (Overlord of Memes)
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Italian Curses
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Guys, tall sprites are included in MV as a free DLC with the Dark Fantasy Resource Pack. Check the DLC folder.
There are tall sprites of all the main MV RTP characters for normal and in battle, as well as the DF characters (chibi, tall and in battle) and some tall MV RTP NPCs too.

I never saw anyone using them, they actually look pretty good to me.
I still prefer the Cover Art gang though.

Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I used the DF tall sprites in a game I made for a game jam.
I'm also using them in a small side project I started working on.

SJWebster

Too old for this ****
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English (UK)
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Guys, tall sprites are included in MV as a free DLC with the Dark Fantasy Resource Pack. Check the DLC folder.
Oh wow! I never realised these were here. They're a massive improvement over the chibi characters! Why isn't this the style RPG Maker uses by default?

Holder

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Also, because I gave this teaser somewhere else, so I wanted you guys to have it too:

My favorite new character design is Actor1_4.

Now, I can't show you Actor1_4 yet, but now you know. :D
You've just pre-hyped 1_4
I expect wow and will hold you accountable if me not wowed.

Chaos17

Dreamer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
The FAQ needs to be updated with each new reveal, imo :LZSoops:

ICF-Soft

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
It seems that there is a character that resembles Touchfuzzy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 2, Guests: 5)

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

I can see the end of my prologue. Perfect time to decide to pull everything over into MZ, right? Right?!
Excited to be nearing the end of setting up my own custom Point-And-Click system template! Just need to iron out some kinks, get an input text system going, add animations to buttons, and then finalize my button-mashing event system and it'll be complete >:3c
AlcTheHero wrote on Mystic_Enigma's profile.
hi.
Still recovering from my laptop's transformation into a brick. I hope to be back to making soon.
Urgh. That sense of frustration when I tell my husband the plot of my game, bullet points, and at the end he looks and me and says 'that's it? Final Fantasy has more twists and turns.' Me: Ahrug! Bullet points!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tuyetky01