RPG Maker MZ Preview #1: Music, Battles, Animations!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anyone

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Oh wow! I never realised these were here. They're a massive improvement over the chibi characters! Why isn't this the style RPG Maker uses by default?
My guess would be that it's easier to draw & work with smaller characters. The larger the character, the more detail you need to add. The smaller the character, the more you can get away with.
So for people who aren't pixel artists, a 48 sprite is easier to convert & work with than a 64 sprite, because a 64 sprite would require more detail work, more shading, etc.
Not a big difference, but a noticable one.

The second reason, and probably the main reason, is that the default tileset is 48x48, so by having the sprite the same size, you can work on the same detail level & size level. With 64x64 as standard, it would've made sense to then also have the tileset at 64x64, which would've meant more detailed tiles, but also larger tilesets, thus greater loading times. Consequently one might have had to reduce the number of pages for a tileset in order to deal with the larger size.

I did make a generator base that allows you to use Schlangan's generator with DF tall characters based on WaywardMartian's templates & outfits for the Dark Fantasy size, but unfortunately there never was a lot of interest in collaborating on it from other pixel artists, and eventually I pretty much moved on to my own game projects. It's still usable and contains much of the base RTP generator assets, though.

HexMozart88

The Master of Random Garbage
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
All I can think of is that the RTP characters are SO CUTE.

AfroditeOhki

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Last edited:

Shaz

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Welp, today's the day. Another 10 hours or so we'll have a new reveal. Based on what was already said, I don't think the things I'm hanging out for will be highlighted this week, but looking forward to seeing some of the artwork.

JosephSeraph

White Mage
Restaff
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
MZ is getting me so pumped I think I'll even learn DragonBones this year so I can make cooler packs... imagine the beauty of Vanillaware-esque characters and monsters with Elfkisser animations Y.Y

edit: another thing that hypes me is the potential for action battle systems.
I don't give a crap about the usual RPG Maker ABS (especially those with a million onscreen keys instead of the menu-based spell selection screen that nobody seems to ever implement :ysrs:) BUT
It's obviously gonna be a gamechanger for any shoot-em-up system.
It's also gonna be a gamechanger for platformer plugins, too. Can't wait to see what people cook up for this generation.

Yet the thing that excites me the MOST is.... Moghunter's LMBS being ported for MZ. I mean, the code was pretty messy. But imagine someone making a proper Tales-esque or Star Ocean-esque ABS on rpg maker except this time around there's NATIVE PROJECTILES?! And even "native" 3D battlebacks.......... (by using an undying particle that loads a .fbx model, although properly loading a fbx model would be way nicer... and implementing babylon js i--) i cant breathe....................

PixeLockeT

Demon Lord Lady
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Star Ocean-esque ABS on rpg maker
I would die for that. I evented something close one time, but it was so clunky on RPG Maker. If someone made a proper one, I'd D I E.

AfroditeOhki

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
Primarily Uses
RMMV
MZ is getting me so pumped I think I'll even learn DragonBones this year so I can make cooler packs... imagine the beauty of Vanillaware-esque characters and monsters with Elfkisser animations Y.Y
Wait wait wait. Do we have confirmed DragonBones compatibility or?

My entire game depends on DragonBones and the long wait for a plugin in the main reason why I didn't think to upgrade the entire thing to MZ!

josephdevelops

Creator of Familia
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
@josephdevelops Yes, it's obvious that one won't be paid too heavily by that. But still, your comment was about people being better off with donations... Which the history has proven to be false. Yanfly was the only one who'd ever gotten any significant cash in donations. And only few people have gone over $100 a month.
Making good plugins and selling them for five dollars has more earning potential than making good free plugins and accepting donations for them. In fact, it's not just here, it's a general problem even in the FOSS community - unless a project obtains a sponsor, in many cases, they won't earn enough to even cover the costs. In fact lately I've even seen a Linux distro go from free to commercial because the donations just weren't enough to cover even maintenance, let alone development.
Well ya, selling plugins would be a viable option as well, which is what Yanfly is doing right now. Your right about someone new not being able to get donations like Yanfly. However, you could sell the plugins. I just meant that generally... I still think that if I was wanting to make plugins as my full-time job, I would make more (and enjoy it more) if I went off on my own. BTW, I enjoyed this discussion. I hope you feel the same way.

We have not even started to unlock the legal complications of such a long term relationship. Labor laws in both countries... Taxes... eh, it gets worse and worse the more you look into it. There is a necessity for a no-compete contract that covers international business. No thanks on the Yanfly job, man.

ImaginaryVillain

Lord of the Sparkle
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Absurdism
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Oh okay, just checking. I was going to be extremely excited if Moghunter decided to return for MZ. :LZSwink:

Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Well, I went to Moghunter's blog and they've got a new page set up for MZ plugins. Speaking of Star Ocean, the first thing listed on that page is a Star Ocean battle system.

So, they haven't updated their Twitter, but they are back.

JosephSeraph

White Mage
Restaff
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
Well, I went to Moghunter's blog and they've got a new page set up for MZ plugins. Speaking of Star Ocean, the first thing listed on that page is a Star Ocean battle system.

So, they haven't updated their Twitter, but they are back.
YOU
HAVE
NO
IDEA
HOW MUCH I SCREAMED AND JUMPED FROM MY CHAIR LMAOOOOOOOO

nio kasgami

VampCat
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I spoke with moghunter @ImaginaryVillain and he said theres high doubt he would come back to rpg maker since for MANY reason that why many programmer quitted
all he plan is to update is battle system

ImaginaryVillain

Lord of the Sparkle
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Absurdism
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Troublesome Knight
Fantastic catch!
https://atelierrgss.wordpress.com/rpg-maker-mz/

Finally something about MZ I am excited about. :LZSexcite:

I spoke with moghunter @ImaginaryVillain and he said theres high doubt he would come back to rpg maker since for MANY reason that why many programmer quitted
all he plan is to update is battle system
When did you talk with him? I mean his site really does have have a page up for MZ with a new Star Ocean battle system announced... But only on that page. Perhaps he changed his mind, or at least we can hope he did. :LZSwink:

nio kasgami

VampCat
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
RMMV

JosephSeraph

White Mage
Restaff
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
he was feed up of entitled people
If a few episodes within the MZ thread are anything to go by, that problem isn't going away anytime soon. But hopefully Mog can keep a community of positive people around him and stave off the toxic ones. That's what I do. Granted, I don't make nearly as much content as he does, but I just generally have a good time in the community by having awesome friends :>

yanfly, mog, archeia, these dudes have THE ironwill patience

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Finished that egg-sitting mini-game I mentioned here a couple weeks back. Now to fix the weather system so it doesn't rain indoors while you're playing it. >.> A simple fix in itself; leave it to me to take it as an excuse to completely revamp the time/weather/lighting system from scratch.
I'm really tempting to pre order cyberpunk 2077... should I do it or not :/ I really want to play the game but don't want to take a big hit to my saving because of it
So I need to come up with quite a few action sequences.
Was stressing about this plugin earlier, but pretty happy with how its looking now! Purple makes it pop more too!! :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stuart18