RPG Maker MZ Preview #1: Music, Battles, Animations!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Plueschkatze

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
N/A
The music is very cool, I like the variety, from medieval fantasy rpg tunes over somewhat egyptian to electronic and cyberpunk feeling ones. I hope the rest of the resources are also fitting those ;3

I'm excited for the particle animations, I think there's a lot of potential here!

Alsooo~ touchfuzzy (and the rest of the mod crew), keep up the great work, I hope this week will be less hard on you as last one!

Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I honestly like the looks of both the Cover Art and RTP heroes this time. I'm also all here for Reid the gender-bending Isekai protagonist (and honestly I like the art style of the face sets).

I do think the effekseer thing is cool, but I still kinda want to know about pixel style animations. Can it make those?

Last edited:

The Stranger

The Faceless Friend
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
British English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Karlheinz in Germany is like an absurd name, reserved for comedic parodies or really old man.
It sounds like a silly, comedic name over here too. All I can think of is the baked beans comany, Heinz. Karlheinz, king of the beans! xD

I really like what I've seen so far, and that battle skit put a huge smile on my face. Was it @Archeia that wrote the dialogue for the skit? If so, amazing job, Archeia.

ImaginaryVillain

Lord of the Sparkle
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Absurdism
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Well the update at least has some content this time... But wow is this slow marketing strategy decimating my interest in this product. I'm with @SJWebster on this one. If you'd just released the product, I would have bought it on the spot out of pure curiosity. But with each passing week I just find myself caring less (definitely a me problem).

Effekseer seems okay, but I already have access to all the particle stuff in MV at any Z layer. Am I correct in seeing that it's only default usable in the Animation layer? If so that's actually a downgrade from what I currently have.

No interest in the RTP stuff. (Just placeholders in my mind.) Nor the new battle system stuff since I'm an on map kind of guy. Honestly I guess I'm just waiting to see something I don't already have... Or can get easy access to. :kaoswt:

I can see why others who haven't tricked out their MV would be excited though. :LZSwink:

ImaginaryVillain

Lord of the Sparkle
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Absurdism
Primarily Uses
RMMV
That reminds me, the most exciting thing about MZ so far... We'll get new emojis. :LZSexcite:

//drags new emoji hoard back to his secret base in the Profile Posts.

Kuu_t

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Finnish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
New battle systems are very nice. I've tried to hack a good time progress system for MV based on other time progress plugins, but I've failed miserably. :kaosigh:This and the renewed animation system are really good selling points for me.

Now I'm waiting, how the event system is improved. I buy my musics and paint my sprites by myself, so those doesn't mean so much for me. I'm looking for technical stuff.

PixeLockeT

Demon Lord Lady
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Well the update at least has some content this time... But wow is this slow marketing strategy decimating my interest in this product. I'm with @SJWebster on this one. If you'd just released the product, I would have bought it on the spot out of pure curiosity. But with each passing week I just find myself caring less (definitely a me problem).

Effekseer seems okay, but I already have access to all the particle stuff in MV at any Z layer. Am I correct in seeing that it's only default usable in the Animation layer? If so that's actually a downgrade from what I currently have.

No interest in the RTP stuff. (Just placeholders in my mind.) Nor the new battle system stuff since I'm an on map kind of guy. Honestly I guess I'm just waiting to see something I don't already have... Or can get easy access to. :kaoswt:

I can see why others who haven't tricked out their MV would be excited though. :LZSwink:
You and I are in a similar boat for some things. XD The animations would be a bit of a downgrade for me too if it can't properly implement retro-looking animations. I more or less custom most of my everything graphically pixel-style.....lol I guess I can learn this new style of animation for experiment games. ^ u^

I like this RTP face/bust graphics and hero appearances much better though, tbh, even though I basically never used RTP stuff. The looks of these make me want to try to make a vanilla RPG Maker game for once. Especially what I saw of the character creator as it seems there will be no more wonky faces out-of-the-box. Default character creators were almost always unusable for me cause I hated the out-of-place look of them.

I typically prefer the default RPG Maker battle sys with custom stuff tinkered in, so the extra battles I'm mostly neutral with.

hadecynn

Dreams Circle
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Touchfuzzy

Was wondering if you're able to address these questions now:

1. Can you play the effekseer animation files outside of combat (similar to how we can call animations back in previous RMs) and if yes, are you able to also change their speed/zoom/rotation the same way that you are able to in the animation editor?

2. Can you perpetually loop these animations (aka if you want to use them for environmental effects like candles, fountains, weather, etc.)

3. Can you encrypt effekseer files when you publish games similar to how other assets could be encrypted?

Thanks!

nio kasgami

VampCat
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Many people complain about the old pixel artstyle well it's 'sad' but engine gotta evolve at some point. Effeseek is a particle engine and it will make it OVERLY way more optimized than clunky big sprite sheet. + I bet there's an option to control sprite sheet in Effeseek.

googled and yeah u can manipulate them :

before complaning check how the software works lol

ImaginaryVillain

Lord of the Sparkle
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Absurdism
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@PixeLockeT Oh yeah that reminds me, I guess I also have QSprite laying about to cover animations via spritesheet at any size/number of frames... For awhile I was using that with an event spawner to just place animations at any layer I could place an event. I mean before I replaced almost all of my graphics with particles. :LZSwink:

I would be sad to lose it for animating characters though, I still use it for that. Really it's going to be people's plugins that sell me on this, not the default MZ stuff. It's a pretty huge ask to give up some plugins, they're going to have offer me something better to make me do so. Good luck. :popcorn:

Dalph

Nega Ralph™ (RM Tyrant)
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Italian Curses
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
So far we have:

Better performance than MV
(not sure if it's confirmed but I feel like it'll perform better than MV)

Extra Layer and more mapping flexibility
Revamped Animation System (Particles)
A new Battle System inbuilt
More flexible Character Generator
Overall better looking RTP and facesets

More cool things to come next week.

TWings

The Dragon Whisperer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Many people complain about the old pixel artstyle well it's 'sad' but engine gotta evolve at some point. Effeseek is a particle engine and it will make it OVERLY way more optimized than clunky big sprite sheet. + I bet there's an option to control sprite sheet in Effeseek.

googled and yeah u can manipulate them :

before complaning check how the software works lol
What you're showing has pretty much nothing to do with sprite sheets.
As it says it's used to draw "a simple square/rectangular surface" as opposed to other shapes like ribbon or ring.
What you gotta to do if you want to use a sprite sheet is, first cut every sprite into distinct images files and then load them as independent texture files and finally create a sequence with those.

Poryg

Dark Lord of the Castle of Javascreeps
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Czech
Primarily Uses
RMMV
So is there no way to use sprite sheets for animations at all? Particles aren't the best for things like specific we've seen in the past: sword slashes with shapes, or stuff like clocks, hourglasses, skulls, etc ... And what about animations in the pixel style? Is that just totally obsolete now?

It's a quick bake I made for educational purposes. It's not smooth, but that is not the fault of the program, that is on purpose - I'd set the frames life to be the multiples of 5 instead of 60 FPS. Skull and clock animations are just as easy as they've always been. You can only gain with effekseer.

Effekseer addition is actually the one idea I truly appreciate.

ImaginaryVillain

Lord of the Sparkle
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Absurdism
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I admit it's kind of wonky to make people go to another program to do particles. I mean it's obviously nothing to those of us who already use lots of outside stuff. But for the kind of beginner RM is usually geared towards, it's a very awkward choice.

Semolous29

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
This isn't a case of we can't give you more information, it's a case of we won't give you anymore information because we say so

jonthefox

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
My favorite thing from this preview are the new large trees - they look GREAT! It also appears we have more, or at least better, options for bushes, shrubbery, and the like. I would've liked for the skinny trees to also look realistic, but maybe there are more options than what we saw.

The music was OK for me - a lot of the tracks were hit or miss. Some felt too goofy/modern. I'm concerned that degica is once again moving forward with the vision that brought us chibi-style sprites in MV...which is just not the aesthetic that excites me. Other red flags for this were the gnome battlers (reminds me of the cartoony MV battlers) and Reid's face (why do the protagonist characters always have to look so damn young?!).

Battle system was interesting - not sold on it yet, but probably just needs some plugins to touch it up (showing enemy ATB bars for instance). Also, this is definitely a niche pet peeve of mine, but I just always want battle systems where the characters and enemies actually walk up and swing at their target - it makes the system so much more visually clear AND engaging, IMO - hoping that's either possible or very easy to script in.

As someone who was never great with the animations editor - I'm excited for this change! We didn't really get a view of what creating a new animation would look like and how easy it is, but I'm assuming that this design choice was made specifically for ease of use, so I don't doubt that it will be a big positive feature.

Looking forward to seeing more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

I made some sideview closets for MV!
You can find them in my MV resource thread.
People1.png & SF_People1.png added!!!!

Adventurer:
"Why your body looks like a bird?"

Stranger:
"Because I'm harpy"

Adventurer:
"Clap along if you feel like a room without a roof"

*Both dancing to Pharrell Williams song*
Stream will be live shortly with a make-up session of the Interactive Text Adventure! Feel free to drop by!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
negociant