RPG Maker MZ, Preview #2: Graphics, Mapping, Eventing!

Status
Not open for further replies.

RPGMakerWeb

Admin
Admin
Reaction score
First Language
RPG Maker
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Last week, we took a look at the music, animations, and time progress battle system… so what is on the table for this week: Graphics, Mapping changes and Eventing!

Enhanced Map Editor!
Map Layers Have Returned!

One of the most requested RPG Maker features makes its return in RPG Maker MZ! The layer system is no longer only automatic! You can switch between manual and automatic layer control through the menu or through a quick keyboard shortcut!

The return of layers means you can now draw underneath existing parts of the tile! Put A tiles on the upper layer, use D tiles as a base. Stack 4 A tiles, or 4 B-E tiles, or any mix in any order!

The control of layers is now in your hands!

In addition, there are a number of minor enhancements to the mapping editor, such as:
  • ★ passability tiles now always appear in the editor as they would appear in game.
  • The map tree drag and drop behavior has been enhanced to make it easier to rearrange your maps.
More Powerful Events!
In addition to the map editor enhancements, many, many event commands have gotten tweaks to make them more powerful and easier to use. Let’s dive right in on a few example changes!
  • The Show Text command has added a name box field! No longer will a plugin be needed just to ID the character speaking!
  • Events and the player are now selectable locations for the Get Location Info command! Easily determine the Terrain Tag or Region ID of the tile the character or an event is standing on.
  • Wait for Completion checkbox added to the Scroll Map command
  • Basic Tweening/Easing Options are now added to Move Picture Command. Available settings include Constant Speed, Slow Start, Slow End and Slow Start and End settings
  • The Button selection for the Conditional Branch command has now added Pressed (activates and continues as long as held), Triggered (activates and does not repeat when held down), and Repeated (activates and continues as long as held, longer delay between repeat) options.
  • And many more!
Preview Move Route!
A more substantial change to the Event Editor is the Preview Move Route option! More easily see how your event will move with a press of a button!

You can easily click on another spot on the preview to set the start point of the move route, for use with moving targets other than the event originating the command. This move route preview is available in both the Set Movement Route command and the Autonomous Movement custom route!

Default Materials
RPG Maker MZ features the largest collection of default materials in series history! With a massive collection of graphics and music to work with, you can jump right into making your game.

On top of all the types of materials you are familiar with, RPG Maker MZ also adds Busts and Full Character Arts for all 120 characters that have face graphics!

And now that MZ supports .ogg files no matter how the project is deployed, you will no longer have to bloat your project folder with both .ogg and .m4a files!

Graphics

• Animations: 120
  • Battle Background 1: 51
  • Battle Background 2: 50
  • Character Sprites Sheets: 44
  • Character SV Battlers: 40
  • Face Graphic Sheets: 15
  • Character Busts: 120
  • Character Full Art: 120
  • Enemy Battlers: 105
  • Enemy SV Battlers: 105
  • Tileset Sheets: 31
  • Parallaxes: 21
  • Title Screens: 20
  • Weapons: 25
  • States: 10
  • Icon: 273
  • Button Set: 2
  • Balloon: 10
Sound
  • 48 BGM
  • 29 BGS
  • 27 ME
  • 345 SE

K2loid

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
YEAHHHHHH THE FULLBODY RTP I NEED. TO COLLECT MYSELF. SHAKING WITH ECSTASY

Veno

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Woo! 3am hype crowd! /wave

4 stacked animating A tiles? Yes please.
Button Selection improvements for Conditional branch? YES PLEASE.
Preview Move Routes?! /sold
The quality of life stuff that's going to making devving so much easier just keeps coming. Still no system 2 tabs :( what wonders must be hidden within them... ;)

Hype Train, increase speed!

Last edited:

Aerosys

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
german
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Thats a list of Features we all waited for weeks now!

Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
"Basic Tweening/Easing Options are now added to Move Picture Command."

Honestly, this has been the most exciting announcement so far for me. That's something that's been a big wishlist item, personally.

RPGMakerWeb

Admin
Admin
Reaction score
First Language
RPG Maker
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Well the layer system is quite promising, even if I plan to abuse it in unintended ways. :LZSexcite:
Honestly my favorite thing to do with RM is to use things in obtuse ways to create unique stuff that was never the intention.

@V_Aero I mean there are still more features to list :p.

Shaz

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Awesome!!!

So ... we have busts and full body art for the included characters, but the character generator doesn't do these, right? So we'll either have to stick with the 'RTP' for these, or draw/commission our own if we want extras?

Any chance the 105 enemy battlers come with matching map sprites?

Events and the player are now selectable locations for the Get Location Info command! Easily determine the Terrain Tag or Region ID of the tile the character or an event is standing on.
Love this! That was my request/suggestion in the improvements forum.

Can't wait to see the improvements to the other event commands!

And love the map layers change and that the star passability tiles will display in the editor as they're going to appear in the game. That will save a lot of confusion for people.

lol - I was gonna do the same (and would have beat you) but then you'd mod me for spamming the thread! :D

Aotaru

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Wait, does the full body and the bust mean, we will also be able to create those in the generator for our own characters?
Even if not: there is only one thing missing. A damned release date, shut up already and take my money.

JosephSeraph

White Mage
Restaff
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
THE PORTRAITS, WOHOOOOO THEY ALL LOOK SO GOOD
i mean mostly the girls tbh but WOHOOO

we finally have a female protagonist in RPG Maker!!! EQUALITY!!! Reida looks gorgeous and she can even turn into Reid for the Wall Market sidequest!

i LOVE the fistifists lady. she's awesome. i'm still not fond of the sideview battlers tho but yeah that's pretty damn awesome, i'm impressed by the fullbody collection. Monsters look awesome too!

I'm curious to see what other forms of event improvement there'll be. Picture Easing is surely a great one!

This was a fun update.

edit: also i love lyle.

Candacis

Pixel Pusher
Restaff
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
Some nice things in there, especially the layering and move route preview!

Am I correct in the assumption that the tilesize is again 48x48?

A bit disappointed that it is again only A-E Sets. I had hoped for more tilesets per map. At least one more, but it looks like, it is still A, and B-E.
And it looks like the tilesets and characters are exactly the same as in MV, it also had 31 tilesets and 44 spritesheets.

Richard John S

Rpg Maker Music Pack Contributor
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I'm impressed! I am totally loving the artwork, and I especially love that there are a ton of enemy battlers! The layer system and everything else is great!

PixelHeart

The Pixel Heartist!
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Other
Liking the new updates, that move rout preview function is going to get some use for sure, thank you loads for that. Sounds like this RTP is going to have everything too!

:< ... still holding out for asset adjustment type things though... see ya next Thursday.

JosephSeraph

White Mage
Restaff
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
Literally the first Common Event in all my MV projects was Dump Player X to Variable 1, Dump Player Y to Variable 2, Dump Region ID (Variable 1, Variable 2) to Variable 3.
Noooo!!! What do you mean your variables 1-10 aren't called TMP_01 to TMP_10?!

Lihinel

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
Okay, mostly great news.

Can you now confirm that in editor tilesize will stay at a fixed 48x48?

(Meaning no variable in editor tilesizes, so if we want 32x32 we have to wait for some plugin and jump through a few hoops like with MV)

Touchfuzzy

Rantagonist
Staff member
Lead Eagle
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Ok, so this is a thing going out on Twitter later this week, but I want to talk about it because it is super cool, and I was given the OK to use whatever of the default art I wanted for promotional stuff.

So we have Actor 1_1-3_8 right.

And then we have Scifi Actor 1_1-3_8.

Here is the thing though, they are the same characters, just redrawn in the other style. So you can easily use them in a game that is a mix of modern and fantasy:

SFVer.png

Also Actor1_4 is the red head. I love her design. It is so kick ass and cute at the same time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

ESAMarathon on Twitch, now streaming "Eat Girl". Yep, that's the title of a game... Apparently it's a Pacman knockoff.... Which is of course the only logical conclusion one would get from a name like "Eat Girl". :kaopride: I can't believe anybody would think anything else! :kaoback:
Super stoked i just finished my first town in my project, by finished i mean i can always add more decorative aesthetics and the NPCs don't talk yet but the mapping is complete and all the important chess pieces are present!
My brain: Hey, I have an idea how to make the transition to the main story quest in The Wastes more natural!
Me: Good!
My brain: You need to remake the hotel you start out in, it's not realistic enough.
Me: Ok... This was unexpected, but I can do it.
My brain: Now make each hotel floor 5 times as large to match the main part. Oh, you also need to make a bunch of new npcs to fill in the space on these maps.
Me: Crap.
Should be able to release Haxe MV/MZ next weekend.
It look that somehow MZ tracks are messed up (for example battle4 is obviously a theme, castle2 is a ship, ship1 is a scene and so on..). Maybe they just named them after with some ambiguity.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iyako