RPG Maker MZ, Preview #2: Graphics, Mapping, Eventing!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kich

Hi-bit pixel artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
Primarily Uses
RMXP
It's better to use events for that kind of large objects. Adding support for XP style priorities would probably cause performance to take a heavy hit if the engine works the same way as MV.
I agree it might work in some cases, but only with simple shaped objects with no parts that require different priorities. Let's say I wanna make a canopy tent in which the character is able to enter and get around its framework. It's doable by playing with layers and priorities:

It's not with an event:

On top of that, the collision is automatically placed and it seems uncontrollable (not without programming, anyway). Also, I think in the long run it would compromise level design.

TWings

The Dragon Whisperer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
RMMV
This week's announcement feels a bit lacking compared to the previous week.
The RTP looks good, but is pretty much the same amount as MV + full and busts arts
I hope you kept the best stuff for the last week.

That's not "laziness", that's intelligent use of resources. Would you rather have 100 monsters optimized for both sideview and front view, or 100 monsters divided in 50 for sideview and 50 for front view each?
You realise for people not using front view monsters that's like asking "do you want 50% useable content or 100% unusuable content ?".
Moreover it might also means we still don't have native enemy battlers animation in the default engine.

JosephSeraph

White Mage
Restaff
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
You realise for people not using front view monsters that's like asking "do you want 50% useable content or 100% unusuable content ?".
im sorry what

you seem to just prove my point so i'm confused
monsters that are mostly designed to work both ways = everybody can enjoy the full breadth of 100 battlers
monsters that are designed only for sideview or frontview = everybody is forced to enjoy only half of the creations / creatures

that's not even the whole point though! each monster has a cost that eats up at the allocated budget. making monsters that work exclusively with either mean severely limiting the other. you can go ahead and say "just increase the budget" but even if they did, it would still be vastly more intelligent to make 150 monsters that are side and frontview compatible rather than 75 of each.

edit: also implementing monster animations is really not hard in mv. it's simple and i expect it to be covered by the yanfly/visustella library in mz relatively soon.

edit @Kich :
It's not with an event:
This would require two events actually, but it's still doable. I do agree with your improvement suggestions though!

Last edited:

Touchfuzzy

Rantagonist
Staff member
Lead Eagle
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Good... morning? everyone.

Anyway. Let me try to grab questions that I saw, if I miss somethiung, sorry I had been awake for 26 hours straight fell asleep and now I'm half awake and haven't had caffeine yet.

TileA: The way TileA works in the database is identical. the only change is that you can now draw them on any layer. This is of course a big change, but it still has the layout of like, wall autotiles, ground autotiles, etc.

Star Passability: Still has the same behavior of MV

Chibis: Still chibis.

(Personal opinion cause I talked about this in a Discord channel earlier, but I actually do prefer the chibis. In general tall graphics only look good if you have much more complex movement animations. I hated how XP graphics looked in motion for instance, very stiff. Unless someone is going to do custom run animations for every single sprite a la Chrono Trigger, I think chibis look better.)

Wavelength

MSD Strong
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Bit of a shame to hear that there won't be any way to assign tile Priority. I do think that @Kich makes a good point, though in the same breath it would be nearly impossible to address every pain point designers have in a single new version.

By the way, instead of dealing with fairly complex Priorities, wouldn't it be a lot easier to simply have one (or even two) "Over" layers that display over events (including the player) rather than under them?

spec3

blep
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
portuguese
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I like this so far :)

JosephSeraph

White Mage
Restaff
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
I like chibis and my only gripe with MV Chibis is that their head is very weirdly shaped. And the awkwardly realistic face. While the head shape is literally untouched on mz (>_>) the face has THANKFULLY been addressed god bless. THEY DON'T HAVE NOSES ANYMORE!!! AMEN!!! so yay.

Also the hair palette seems a lot broader now as well.

edit:
tall graphics only look good if you have much more complex movement animations
I agree somewhat; I still think it's possible to do limited animation a la FFVI in a ~3/2-tile high character and have it look charming (no matter the resolution), if your artstyle starts to become too realistic not only you have the animation issue, you also have a very startling perspective issue. Soooo many games try to do semi-realistic proportions but end up with a very weirdly offbeat perspective, it almost looks like all the characters are laying on the floor all the time, sometimes. and if you do try to address that and go for a more realistic perspective then the sprites can't look at the camera without looking up, anymore.

ortographic for 2d requires stylization, the more you forgo stylization int he chase of realism the more you need to abandon ortho 3d lol (or just go iso, which is still ortho, but at least makes sense as a perspective unlike square tiles in a 3/4 camera view)

edit2: also no matter the amount of tweening you do on XP's animation frames... the keyframes are... ungood. I love the idle sprites though! it's such a charming style just like the whole XP RTP :kaoluv: ... But from the same idle, it's possible to do much, much better animation with only 3 frames lol

Last edited:

Wavelength

MSD Strong
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I like chibis and my only gripe with MV Chibis is that their head is very weirdly shaped. And the awkwardly realistic face. While the head shape is literally untouched on mz (>_>) the face has THANKFULLY been addressed god bless. THEY DON'T HAVE NOSES ANYMORE!!! AMEN!!! so yay.
I've never minded the chibis one bit (like Touchfuzzy I actually prefer them to most Mack-style sprites); the only thing that feels bad to me in MV is how the monsters don't also have small, chibified versions. Makes for a weird dissonance on the combat screen.

Goodbye and good riddance to those damn noses!!

Parallax Panda

Got into VxAce ~2014 and never stopped...
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Swedish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I assume my previous question was one that couldn’t be answered, although @Hudell gave me some hope. I’d really love a map converter!

Here’s a new question though, @Touchfuzzy .This one you might be able to answer since you already listed the amount of other “stuff” that’s included...

How many sample maps do we get with MZ? :kaopride:

Lion Blade Soler

Autistic Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Good... morning? everyone.

Anyway. Let me try to grab questions that I saw, if I miss somethiung, sorry I had been awake for 26 hours straight fell asleep and now I'm half awake and haven't had caffeine yet.

TileA: The way TileA works in the database is identical. the only change is that you can now draw them on any layer. This is of course a big change, but it still has the layout of like, wall autotiles, ground autotiles, etc.

Star Passability: Still has the same behavior of MV

Chibis: Still chibis.

(Personal opinion cause I talked about this in a Discord channel earlier, but I actually do prefer the chibis. In general tall graphics only look good if you have much more complex movement animations. I hated how XP graphics looked in motion for instance, very stiff. Unless someone is going to do custom run animations for every single sprite a la Chrono Trigger, I think chibis look better.)
Just for the record, I don't mind chibi/small sprites as they remind me of the sprites from old-school JRPGs, especially the ones from the 16-bit era.

M.I.A.

Goofball Extraordinaire
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
My biggest gripe with MV Chibi Style SV Actors is... that I can't make them for myself.. :(

-Sad MIA

Shaz

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I mean, what do they need to smell for anyway.
So I had a cool idea for a plugin that would keep track of how long you've been carrying around certain items, and would "mature" them. You get a fish and keep it for 10 days, it's gonna start stinking, right?! So all the NPCs would avoid you. If you can't smell 'cause you don't have a nose, how will you ever know?

GuttyKreum

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
As a primarily a tileset creator, the map layers bring me great joy. :kaoluv:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

And now to face my worst enemy... adding color :kaocry:
Power has been restored FINALLY to our home in Lake Charles. Hurricane Laura tried to wreck our lives and disrupt my work on the commercial project i have going with Cloud 9 but the key word is TRIED!!! Slowly moving from the shelter to home over the next week or so. I WILL NOT QUIT!
I am happy because the RPG Maker MZ character comes with extra bust and full body art, but I am disappointed because the quality of the character's PIxel art has decreased.
Only My Opinion that Pixel art MV is better.
I think my SV will be weird, but I would love to change it up.

"Signature characters" - the mascots of your game. Cute, quirky, lovable, recognizable.
i.e.
Kirby, Disgaea prinnies, creepers, Sonic, Mario, DQ slimes, pikachu (all starters), chocobos.

You see what I'm saying.
Getchu one.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
katana100