RPG Maker MZ, Preview #2: Graphics, Mapping, Eventing!

Status
Not open for further replies.

SmashArtist

Lazy Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Archeia That was hilarious and informative! Sad that different tile sizes won't be available by default, but still really excited for all the new and improved features!
Would love to see more skits like this in the future! :kaoluv:

Shaz

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Mysterious Coder Y confuses me ... but awesome vid!

EmmaB

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Lol! I love the skit @Archeia. And Reid's smug face... :guffaw::guffaw: I've had my laugh for today.:D

Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Are the battle backgrounds for MZ the same size as MV? Can we use MZ backgrounds in MV and vice versa without making adjustments?

Touchfuzzy

Rantagonist
Staff member
Lead Eagle
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
So one of the things I immediately mentioned when Archeia pitched that skit video to me was that Aluxes had to be like "what you didn't know" but Archeia had already planned the joke so my contribution was useless :B :B :B

Last edited:

SquallStorm

Resident Persona 5 Hyper
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
That skit got a really good chuckle out of me. Smug Reid is my new favorite thing and I have a lot of smug emotes for Discord.

Looking forward to the next announcement and skit.

Knightmare

Knight of the Night
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@The Stranger
Indeed, toy sized cars ftw!
But then again, our newborn Prince Reid needs something to play with, right? All the royal dolls are getting boring.
Quote of the thread! I think I said it already but Reid is dying off in my game in the intro cutscene. He will be machine gunned down in a flower field by the Underground Syndicate. I like the burly looking lumberjack character and the red haired monk looking character, one of them should have been the main character!

Finally layer mapping is back from the XP days. That was a much needed feature that i missed so much. Really like how there even a preview move route.
Are you going to be making the switch then Mr. Kobold?

I agree it might work in some cases, but only with simple shaped objects with no parts that require different priorities. Let's say I wanna make a canopy tent in which the character is able to enter and get around its framework. It's doable by playing with layers and priorities:

It's not with an event:

On top of that, the collision is automatically placed and it seems uncontrollable (not without programming, anyway). Also, I think in the long run it would compromise level design.
Yeah yeah yeah that's all fine and good and all but.....who's the babe? And does she like Knights?

As far as the information revealed....it wasn't that exciting this week to me if I'm being honest but it is a new RPG Maker so....

473r83.jpg

Redeye

Chronicles Creator
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
The Extended RTP is a really good selling point. I've spoken about this with a friend before, but I think it would be an amazing idea if the devs kept around their graphic designers so that they could continue to make and expand on the RTP graphics in the future in the form of Official DLC. That way, we would have an ever-increasing database of assets to work with that don't have clashing artstyles, and it would allow for much more diversity between RPGs that decide to stick to the RTP. It would be a genius way to continue to make revenue and solidify MZ as having the largest collection of RTP assets of all time.

M.I.A.

Goofball Extraordinaire
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Curses!! All this time I've spent learning to give the illusion of layers by careful and innovative layering + Shift mapping.. and now we have ACTUAL LAYERS?!?! What if I can't unlearn?? Won't someone PLEASE think of the children?!? :p

I'm getting so stoked for MZ.
-MIA

Kich

Hi-bit pixel artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
Primarily Uses
RMXP
Star Passability: Still has the same behavior of MV
Thanks for answering.

This is set as Same as Characters right?
Yes. :thumbsup-right:

---

I have another question.

RMXP had two more features that I'd love see in RMMZ:

1. Being able to choose a specific frame on Set Move Route...'s Change Graphic...
Clicking on the frame we want to show is so much easier than any workaround I've seen for the following RPG Maker engines. I'm sure anyone who used to make player and event custom animations on XP will remember how much of a no-brainer it was.

2. Wait for Move's Completion
This one adds to the other and it's pure gold to creating cutscenes.

Will MZ have any of these?

Last edited:

Wavelength

Edge of Eternity
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Funny (and well-produced) video! And there were a lot of interesting questions and answers on MZ info in there to catch... as long as you slow it down to 0.25 speed!! :guffaw:
  • Very cool to know that spell charge times are possible in the ATB system!
  • Can't wait to find out more about spell targeting enhancements! This was always something I felt could have been done better in the editor, but I appreciate that it's a very tricky task trying to design something like this in a way that most users can achieve whatever scopes they dream of.
  • Also want to say that the GUI icons look beautiful. I personally love that soft rainbow gradient.

Sharm

Pixel Tile Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Ah, I didn't even think about the cliffs taking up less space now that we can use autotiles on higher layers. Layers are so nice! The only thing I still miss from XP is the bigger tiles for the edges. I like my round corners.

Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Welp, I'm impressed. Liking everything in this update. Nowhere to go but up from here.

slimmmeiske2

Little Red Riding Hood
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMXP
Oh my god, what a fun surprise after I woke up. Thanks @Archeia Loved the skit :kaoluv: The chibis are too cute!
Mai boi Aluxes dishing out the truth :XP1C:

(Also lol @ Reid's troll face)

Lornsteyn

Sleepy Dragon
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RM2k3
RTP (especially the Faces, Battlers and Music) and Features, hm.
I think the MZ will become my favorite Maker. :kaojoy:

Winshifter

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I'm intrigued by that statment about that "TPB is not like an ATB". Probably this will be addressed in a future preview(like in 2 or 3 weeks given what we've been revealed as of now). I mean, so far in the images and in the battle skit it behaved like a basic ATB. My guess is that it has to do with how turns are usually managed in ATB scripts or plugins in recent RPG Makers and that TPB might manage flow of combat and turns as well as handling skills. Don't tell me it might even support in code combo skills? That would be awsome!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

What is your favourite rpg maker plugin?
Hopefully this gets fixed before release..
Where's this sudden heatwave come from? It's not even sunny, it's just hot. Hate it!
I'm slightly disappointed that the MZ codebase still uses core.js, managers.js, objects.js, scenes.js, sprites.js and windows.js instead of core/Bitmap.js, core/Graphics.js, managers/AudioManager.js, managers/DataManager.js, etc...
just a few more hours until the toughest, most pressure 72 hours of my life, wish me luck guys

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rate61