RPG Maker MZ, Preview #2: Graphics, Mapping, Eventing!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ScorchedGround

Blizzards most disappointed fan
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
WELL THAT'S A LOT OF TILESETS.

Also I like the numbers I see (regarding battlebacks, animations, parallaxes etc.)
And thank god for layered mapping!
And thank god for the move route preview. Getting that to work in extended scene is a hassle.

MZ is starting to look pretty promising.
Can't wait to see what they did with the generator and icon set.

slimmmeiske2

Little Red Riding Hood
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMXP
Well, we already knew layers were back, since you told us :p
Preview move route is my favourite new feature <3

And wow busts and full body art? :o And more animals in the RTP again!

Touchfuzzy

Rantagonist
Staff member
Lead Eagle
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
I love this reveal! it does reveal a LOTS of content haha also you guys didn't noticed...there's a diagonal movement which mean....diagonal support for movement!
Before people go to far into it, that is in movement route options, but isn't a default option for player movement. That said, the behavior for it is clearly already coded in somewhere so I imagine wouldn't be TOO hard for someone to make a plugin for.

JosephSeraph

White Mage
Restaff
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
Ok Daddy Swordsman there is hot. Also, Lyle gets this sorta Yukito vibe going on in his modern attire which i'm totally here for. Also Kasey? I. LOVE. THIS. CHICK. and her Persona modern outfit is gorgeous

Poryg

Dark Lord of the Castle of Javascreeps
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Czech
Primarily Uses
RMMV
So it took three weeks before releasing some wow material...
Well, three weeks are not too bad in the end I guess. :D

I wonder though, does the editor now have the good old "Referenced by variables" in Switch and Variable operations? It was a great feature that for some reason got removed, but people use and have to rely on script field, which is slower in performance.
The Toggle ON/OFF was very useful too in limited cases and ain't too difficult to implement.
Screenshot_286.png

Candacis

Pixel Pusher
Restaff
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
Well, the whole preview move route thing is a real quality of life upgrade. I can't remember how often I had replayed the same sequence over and over again just to check the move routes on things.

Can you talk about the tile size?

SJWebster

Too old for this ****
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English (UK)
Primarily Uses
RMMV
The enhanced mapping was already making me want to switch from MV to MZ, seriously happy to see an enhanced version of XP's mapping. I hate working with the semi-predictive automated stuff in VX through MV. A massive thanks for listening to the users.

The enhanced events and new triggers are already giving me ideas. There are some systems that are currently plugin based or awkward to event that are going to be much easier to just event now.

Preview move event is something I hadn't considered but it seems so obvious now. Why haven't we had this before? This is going to speed up cutscene creation!

RTP... meh. I don't use it. I'm already making custom graphics for my first planned MV game.

Graphics wise, one thing I'd love to see is battle character sets for weapons. A separate sheet for your sword / gun / bow that sits on top of the player battle character. In Final Fantasy VII through X, I got really excited buying a new weapon and then seeing the characters hold it in their idle stances and such. It gave me a really nice sense of progression. Even if there's no official support, hopefully a plugin will come along for it.

I really do just want a release date and a price now though.

TWings

The Dragon Whisperer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
RMMV
  • Enemy Battlers: 105
  • Enemy SV Battlers: 105
Are the "Enemy SV Battlers" real SV battlers (like the character ones) or just pretty much a copy/paste of "Enemy Battlers" like in MV ?

JosephSeraph

White Mage
Restaff
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
MV's assets were mostly made with Side/Frontview in mind and work both ways so I don't see why they'd change that. It'd be a waste to do it in any other way (and end up with 100% unique sets of 52 frontview and 52 sideview battlers)

WaywardMartian

Is sometimes a giant bee
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I am here for the enhanced event stuff and buckets of RTP. :D

Can you tell us how much stuff is included in the character generator or is that a reveal for later?

Veno

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
You misread it, that's tileset sheets. 31 sheets,
Assuming a, b, c, d, e pages thats a hair over 6 tilesets.
2 overworld, 2 fantasy, 2 modern perhaps?

Skyroar

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
Primarily Uses
N/A
1. How many monsters have matching map sprites?
2. Character busts are only for premade characters, right? I assume they do not include generated ones.
3:
  • And many more!
Why not do a full reveal of all new event options? :p Or is that part of next week's preview?

Candacis

Pixel Pusher
Restaff
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
You misread it, that's tileset sheets. 31 sheets,
Assuming a, b, c, d, e pages thats a hair over 6 tilesets.
2 overworld, 2 fantasy, 2 modern perhaps?
Yeah, MV also had 31 sheets. That's nothing new, although I'm glad they are keeping the modern tilesets in.

xDRAGOONx

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV

Also I like the numbers I see (regarding battlebacks, animations, parallaxes etc.)
And thank god for layered mapping!
And thank god for the move route preview. Getting that to work in extended scene is a hassle.

MZ is starting to look pretty promising.
Can't wait to see what they did with the generator and icon set.
I'm not gonna lie...I am a complete sucker for icons. I blame @Avery

hadecynn

Dreams Circle
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Took the kids to a corn maze. They gave us a map and had lights at certain points in the maze. Not overwhelming... or underwhelming... just... whelming.
Okay, vacuuming fruit flies out of the air is surprisingly effective.
Finally finished my menu redesign after like a month of coding! I hate designing menus... Good news though - I thought of a complete redesign for it now, so yay...
Still no scam calls all day... also I got a quick gig designing a mascot drawing for a small business, so I might actually make some green of my own after all. That would be a perfect job for me, since I love art and digital design.
Job concerns. Love where I work, but I have severe anxiety while I'm outside at night.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lightstaroflightclan