RPG Maker MZ, Preview #2: Graphics, Mapping, Eventing!

Status
Not open for further replies.

JosephSeraph

White Mage
Restaff
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
So the folder for a fresh MV project is 385MB.

The folder for a fresh MZ project is 88.3MB.
IN. SANE.
i WAS expecting a reduction but I expected it to be more like a 20% reduction not a FOUR HUNDRED AND FIFTY PERCENT one like wow.

I doubt that the addition of the busts would double that, either. I mean, I'm sure the Frontview Monsters folder by itself is comparable to the Busts folder.

I keep hearing such great news in this thread and everyday is a new little reason for fanfare. Wow.

edit: Lowkey hope that we get access to a full resolution version of the bust art in the base folder. But that'd be a first and I sure think MZ already far exceeded its quota of firsts LOL

Touchfuzzy

Rantagonist
Staff member
Lead Eagle
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I don't have the actual sized busts and full arts (I probably have access to them somewhere but haven't bothered to download them), I just have the high res full arts (too big to be even used in engine even at 1920x1080), and that is only 14MB.

My guess with the actual sized busts and full arts added to the default project, I'm guessing it will be right around ~100MB total with everything.

And like I said, unlike MV that is with loading ALL the default resources. So not only is it much smaller than MV default project, it is doing that with more available resources as well.

Sword_of_Dusk

Keyblade Master
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I don't have the actual sized busts and full arts (I probably have access to them somewhere but haven't bothered to download them), I just have the high res full arts (too big to be even used in engine even at 1920x1080), and that is only 14MB.

My guess with the actual sized busts and full arts added to the default project, I'm guessing it will be right around ~100MB total with everything.

And like I said, unlike MV that is with loading ALL the default resources. So not only is it much smaller than MV default project, it is doing that with more available resources as well.
That is so amazing. Every day, I become more and more sure of my purchase.

nio kasgami

VampCat
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I just though about it but...when you guys will update the Community news banner xD? the one who scroll on the front page @Touchfuzzy

Knightmare

Knight of the Night
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
since I know quasis wouldn't come back for MZ I was tempted to port his plugins to MZ he had a lots of usefull stuff. + got his permission to port his stuff in the past.
That's good news. I used his parameter plugin for one of my projects that is collecting dust and I know his plugins have a lot of functionality if someone knows what they are doing. Glad they will be worked on.

Yes everywhere. Including Japan.
That's why Rm2k is still alive and well.
Which seems to be the reason they went back to a 2k type "old school" model after XP I suppose with VX. Personally I liked VX more than XP but I can see why quite a few people didn't.

As far as the size comparisons between MV and MZ....I actually thought MZ would be higher due to it being newer and better and with the new recommended specs. Cool to see that it's not as bloated.

nio kasgami

VampCat
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
RMMV
You know, we probably should... but I have to bug @Archeia to do it and she is stupidly busy so...
hahah you acutally bugged archeia for it xD

That's good news. I used his parameter plugin for one of my projects that is collecting dust and I know his plugins have a lot of functionality if someone knows what they are doing. Glad they will be worked on.

Which seems to be the reason they went back to a 2k type "old school" model after XP I suppose with VX. Personally I liked VX more than XP but I can see why quite a few people didn't.

As far as the size comparisons between MV and MZ....I actually thought MZ would be higher due to it being newer and better and with the new recommended specs. Cool to see that it's not as bloated.
Yes Quasi showed no interest to return to RM. So I hopped back to his code since a lots of his plugin are advanced and can be quite usefull (especially the audio). I was especially will try to convert his ABS to MZ

I will also use a lots of his abs code for a side plugin project in working. which include the keyword "Osore" :rheh:
if you translate that from japanese to english u will get an idea kekd
it's a feeling you feel a lots from a lots from a genre of game popular in rpg maker.

Touchfuzzy

Rantagonist
Staff member
Lead Eagle
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
hahah you acutally bugged archeia for it xD
Nah that was more of a "I'm not expecting you to do it, but if you have time putting up MZ on the top news would be great".

If I was going to bug her I would message her on slack and be like "hey could you please" and neither of us are good at saying no with work stuff so she would add it to her long list of other stuff to do. :).

WaywardMartian

Is sometimes a giant bee
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Touchfuzzy - Can you tell us how many parts come with the character generator or is that being saved for another update? ( Or did I miss this answer somewhere in the thread? )

JosephSeraph

White Mage
Restaff
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
speaking of community banner

i just want to say again that i am super duper looking forward to there being an IGMC again this year................................................. and now i feel kinda bad saying it knowing how hard touch and archeia are working and that they really need a break BUT I STILL. I REALLY WANT AN IGMC THIS YEAR. With the whole pandemic thing and the ****tiest year in the 21st century so far........... MZ release and a beautiful, high stakes global event that gets people going is just everything we need to make this year something with at least some really fun memories!!!

i admit i search for the keyword "IGMC" in this forum pretty often to see if people are thinking about it

edit: but anyway at least we will FOR SURE get a mini "MZ release jam" either here on rpgmaker.net, i'm especially looking forward to a trial jam, so yeah that'll be fun. 5 years since the MV release jam. I never participate in jams and don't make games what am i saying

Dalph

Nega Ralph™ (Retired Overlord of Memes)
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Italian Curses
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Very happy with the size reduction and optimization of the projects in MZ, it's a huge step forward to me.
I always like to make short minigames, so the huge standard filesize in MV always annoyed me (almost 400mb by default), even after various optimizations I could never get below 150mb even for my 1 map game.
Making short games that are like 30-70mb won't be a dream anymore with MZ.

Last edited:

Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@JosephSeraph I personally think it would be better to have a release jam than a full on competition. Degica would want people to have got a good grip on the new possibilities so that the competitive entries can start to show what MZ can do. That wouldn't happen if IGMC happened so soon after release. (Plus I think touch & archeia would keel over with exhaustion.)

JosephSeraph

White Mage
Restaff
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
That wouldn't happen if IGMC happened so soon after release
Oh nonono I think I was misunderstood. MZ release jam is a thing that ppl are bound to make. A friendly event where ppl just test out the software and have fun. The IGMC... I want it to happen, but I don't want it to happen nowhere near close to the MZ release lol. Though... If it releases by late july - mid august, I guess anywhere 2020 will be close to the MZ release XD

SJWebster

Too old for this ****
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English (UK)
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Do we know when we'll get a price and a release date? Trying to decide whether to start a new project now in MV or wait until MZ releases. Only so much prep (creating graphics, writing dialogue, etc) I can do before diving into the build.

Aesica

undefined
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
This is looking really good. I don't suppose if anyone knows...
  1. If it's JavaScript based (pretty sure it is, but you never know) and
  2. If the SV player battlers (both the defaults and generator parts) are going to look more mature, or if they'll be borderline-unusable chibis again.
  3. Will the tiles and icons be the same dimensions as those in MV--48x48 and 32x32, respectively?
The extra layers is super cool, however as someone who's coded maps with multiple layers in custom, non-RM projects in the past, I've learned that more layers = greater bottleneck. I'd be curious to see how this problem was addressed.

Other than that...I like what I see. THE RTP TREES ARE ACTUALLY USABLE!

Tag365

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Graphics

• Animations: 120
  • Battle Background 1: 51
  • Battle Background 2: 50
  • Character Sprites Sheets: 44
  • Character SV Battlers: 40
  • Face Graphic Sheets: 15
Does this mean that some animals such as pigs may have a default SV battle sprite?

The Stranger

The Faceless Friend
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Tag365 We didn't get SV battlers for the kitties and puppies in MV, they were eventually made by members of the community. It'd be cool if we did get animal SV battlers this time around, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

*sigh* I'm so sick of this heat! :kaosigh::kaoeh:

Between Rona and MZ, might as well buckle down and get serious in dev
I did it. I finish the test after 2 days 6 different subjects. Now I'm freeeeeeee
Got a nice little platform coming along backwards compatible with MV.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ju9SW