RPG Maker MZ, Preview #2: Graphics, Mapping, Eventing!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Be fair, not all horror games are an endless series of jumpscares and playing loud sound effects. Sure, there's a lot of them where that is all they are. But the genre as a whole does also have entries where they scare you with the story, or with the atmosphere.

JosephSeraph

White Mage
Restaff
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
I agree, there's plenty of RM horror with engaging stories and whatnot. But the only RM horror game I've played that wasn't mechanically paper thin was Beautiful Escape: Dungeoneer

I obviously am horribly biased and can't skip an opportunity to whine challenge people to expand mechanically upon this genre I adore. But yeah I just don't see what plugins tailored to the creation of horror games would be. I'm sure I'm missing an obvious point though.

EDIT: Maybe a yume-nikki effect manager or something? that's actually not a bad idea, a plugin that comes with a toolset to manage, create and customize Effects and have their activation trigger different things in the game in a more streamlined way than using items / skills (activating switches).

nio kasgami

VampCat
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Personally, I think it's a popular niche as always, but also, these games tend to be extremely shallow mechanically and you don't need a plugin to do this:

View attachment 150366

Also I'm not sure such a toolset would be financially sustainable as I think the age group for RM horror games is a tad younger than average but I'm pulling this "data" from thin air empirical envidence only

But yeah IDK, making little tools tailored specifically to enhance horror games shouldn't be that time consuming, on the other hand. Just poll the community and gauge interest, I think it'd be great but I also really have nooooo idea what a "horror plugin" would be like lmao (other than visual effects or simplified menus i guess)
comming from game deving games in other software it come a lots to other options actually.

Such as Raycasting (line of sight)
Fear system , Chase system , Puzzle handling system (grab and throw etc)

Ambience systems. Behaviours reaction from entity (events , players) light system who handle raycasting by geometry)

there's a LOTS of system involved into the horror genre. If you want to do a very shallow game sure the event you how there can be enough.

but when you come to want to make stuff more dynamic it's more complicated than you think.

those are the current modules I wrote down.

Awake is the most basic whihc include the barebone of how an interactive environment should be.

The Stranger

The Faceless Friend
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
British English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@nio kasgami True line of sight, or something similar, would be great for horror games. Having monsters see you through walls and over ceilings ruins immersion.

I also like your grab and throw idea.

nio kasgami

VampCat
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Yeah this is what make a good game personally being able to have true line of sight is something that can enhance a lots your gameplay.

I was also tempted to do a Audio based Emitter/ receiver.

So on paper you do the events having an 'listener' (by notetag)

you specify the range of the listener by grid and it's sensitivity. and the player is always an Emitter.
Depending the actions it might 'emmite' an intensity so if you run you will emmite 'rays' in in circular radius that will collide with the events receiver range.

Then depending the intensity setup Proc if the condition is met.
A little hard to explain with my english but in simple they will 'hear' you.

nio kasgami

VampCat
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
RMMV
it was actually done by quasis plugin :o @Touchfuzzy but people didn't really know but his line of sight was a true one based on geometry xD

nio kasgami

VampCat
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Yeah, QSight was a really useful plugin. And QABS, and QMap, and QMovement, and all the other Qplugins.
yeah this is what I will use as a basis for the Osore Engine (will still make it standalone to people who only want the Qplugins)

but on a FUN FACT Quasis showed me in private they was supposed to have an early Geometrical based light system that would not go through walls etc. Named QLights

he never finished it since it required Pixijs 4 at that time and it wasn't supported in MV back there.

I might ask to give me the sources code so I can finish it.

ImaginaryVillain

Sprokle Boi
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Absurdism
Primarily Uses
RMMV
If only QLights had been released, the world would truly be a better place.

oriongates

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
RMMV
comming from game deving games in other software it come a lots to other options actually.

Such as Raycasting (line of sight)
Fear system , Chase system , Puzzle handling system (grab and throw etc)

Ambience systems. Behaviours reaction from entity (events , players) light system who handle raycasting by geometry)

there's a LOTS of system involved into the horror genre. If you want to do a very shallow game sure the event you how there can be enough.

but when you come to want to make stuff more dynamic it's more complicated than you think.

those are the current modules I wrote down.

Awake is the most basic whihc include the barebone of how an interactive environment should be.
For a horror game I could see something along the lines of advanced locational audio...like having an event producing sound effects or music that gets louder or quieter the closer the player is to the source or maybe even directional audio for puzzle cues or chases.

nio kasgami

VampCat
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Ooh, a QLights plugin would've been cool too.

Is that what the MZ ports of the Qplugins will be called?
No Osore will be my own engine Qplugins will be separated as well Osore Qsight will have other stuff

If only QLights had been released, the world would truly be a better place.
SADLY when I spoke wiht him he said to me : don't have the code it was mainly in QSight (the thing that draw shadow for the raycast visualisation lol
For a horror game I could see something along the lines of advanced locational audio...like having an event producing sound effects or music that gets louder or quieter the closer the player is to the source or maybe even directional audio for puzzle cues or chases.
yeah QAudio already furnish this in in a fashion actually

Tamina

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I don't know. I've always been confused by the horror RPG Maker obsession to be honest. (there was only one horror RM game that I really liked, which was Witch's House).
I believe this has more to do with the strength of this engine, and what can be accomplished as an indie dev. RM is an engine that's more suitable for JRPG/adventure game, it's so much tougher to make other genre like action/strategy and such and do it well. So most of the successful RM games are jrpg/adventure.

Genres like jrpg/adventure really really rely on an engaging story to be successful. And horror story, by nature, evokes players emotions more easily because we easily feel fear when we are dealing with the unknown .

Try to tell a story about 16 year old boy saving the world, most people will probably find such story "meh" "cliche" "doesn't seem realstic" and walk away.

Now try to tell a story about the protagonist trapped in a haunted house, dealing with his dark past and attempt to solve mysteries, suddenly we all want to know what's next.

Since some of the horror game doesn't need to focus on a good battle system to tell the story, they also avoid having to deal with designing skills, balances, tons of equipments, cool battle animations etc, which is tons of work and tough to do well. They can focus on just telling the story and play with players emotions.

As a result, it's easier to make an above average RM horror game. As long as the story is engaging and atmosphere is there it works. For every other genre it's a lot more work and results often come out as mediocre.

There are traditional jrpg, action, strategy, simulation game made using RM all the time. Most them just come out as mediocre because they are missing something compare with commercial games with better quality out there, such as unresponsive action combat, or boring battle system designs and such.

On the other hand, some of the RM horror game or mystery/adventure in Japan has really well written story, enough to keep players engaged from beginning to the end. That's why they tend to be more successful. They just do one thing really well.

Touchfuzzy

Rantagonist
Staff member
Lead Eagle
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Try to tell a story about 16 year old boy saving the world, most people will probably find such story "meh" "cliche" "doesn't seem realstic" and walk away.

Now try to tell a story about protagonist trapped in a haunted house and attempt to solve mysteries, suddenly we all want to know what's next.
Honestly without more details the second sounds just as cliche and boring as the first.

Tamina

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Honestly without more details the second sounds just as cliche and boring as the first.
Yes, It may sound that way reading text descriptions. But adding some atmosphere via music and graphics can completely change that. A good story is 95% about presentation, less about the general concept. And horror genre naturally gets an advantage when it comes to presentation in my opinion.

I'd still believe that it's much harder to create a unique emotional experience with "16 year boy saving the world" kind of story.

Touchfuzzy

Rantagonist
Staff member
Lead Eagle
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Yes, It may sound that way reading text descriptions. But adding some atmosphere via music and graphics can completely change that. A good story is 95% about presentation, less about the general concept. And horror genre naturally gets an advantage when it comes to presentation in my opinion.

I'd still believe that it's much harder to create a unique emotional experience with "16 year boy saving the world" kind of story.
Honestly, I think you were much more on the money with "horror games are easier to make because you don't need to understand how to do RPG balance".

You may LIKE the cliches of horror games more, but honestly, most horror storylines are just as trite as most RPG storylines.

The only RM Horror game that I think overcomes it is Witch's House and that is because the ending is a fun twist.

nio kasgami

VampCat
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Honestly, I think you were much more on the money with "horror games are easier to make because you don't need to understand how to do RPG balance".

You may LIKE the cliches of horror games more, but honestly, most horror storylines are just as trite as most RPG storylines.

The only RM Horror game that I think overcomes it is Witch's House and that is because the ending is a fun twist.
NGL the witchs house was a very high regarded game.

tbh although yume nikki was also pretty good. or IB.

Dororo

Gespenst MKII pilot
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Italian
Primarily Uses
RMMV
The entire shonen industry doesn't like this element.

Dalph

Nega Ralph™ (RM Tyrant)
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Italian Curses
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Nothing wrong with the traditional jrpg plot of the teenager hero saving the world (If it's done well).
I can list at least 100 succesful jrpgs and anime about teenagers saving the world.
Many people claim it's cliche and they don't like it but ultimately they will play it or watch it anyway, it's still the basic setup of most stories in jrpgs and anime.
Most stuff I know follow this plot as a base, and I played quite a lot of games and watched a lot of stuff, in truth it's a matter of how you build and expand the plot from that base.

Even Undertale is give or take about saving the (monster) world from Asriel/Flowey and yet it's a rather unique and very succesful game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Okay, vacuuming fruit flies out of the air is surprisingly effective.
Finally finished my menu redesign after like a month of coding! I hate designing menus... Good news though - I thought of a complete redesign for it now, so yay...
Still no scam calls all day... also I got a quick gig designing a mascot drawing for a small business, so I might actually make some green of my own after all. That would be a perfect job for me, since I love art and digital design.
Job concerns. Love where I work, but I have severe anxiety while I'm outside at night.
It's nice to see the evolution of my game: Here is a video with the first WIP:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lightstaroflightclan