RPG Maker MZ, Preview #2: Graphics, Mapping, Eventing!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Touchfuzzy

Rantagonist
Staff member
Lead Eagle
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Overworld has B as fantasy, and C as modern

It's just one Overworld tileset. Since Overworld never used all of B-E anyway.

PixelHeart

The Pixel Heartist!
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Other
Tile size is fixed and the same as MV (48x48). I too would have liked to have variable tile size, but it didn't make it in.
Thank you... :(

Dalph

Nega Ralph™ (RM Tyrant)
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Italian Curses
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
As a mapper who doesn't really like to Parallax, I appreciate a lot the manual layer system, this feature alone makes the engine worth purchasing.
The improvements in the eventing system are very nice too.

The Preview Movement Route is also a must for people like me who enjoy creating dynamic cutscenes, and will make my job a lot easier.
With this new feature many will have no more excuses, and will be able to make better cutscenes that involve some action and more movement (with less frustrating testing).
Hopefully we can say goodbye to boring cutscenes of two sprites staring at each other with a bunch of text.

The RTP definitely looks much better overall, I like the look of almost everything so far.

I'll repeat what I keep saying from the start, MZ looks great and seems to be a worthy purchase.

Lihinel

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
@Touchfuzzy Okay, thanks for the confirmation.

Gotta do some thinking whether to use upscaled 16x16, default assets (RTP), or skip MZ for now.
Most likely 16x16, since I don't like the square look, too bad the default assests (RTP) aren't XP style, it always seems like such a waste given the high resolution.

I wouldn't mind buying assets from the store (got like 10-20 VXAce asset packs already), but they usually don't cover all regions so you end up mixing tiles that clash.

Candacis

Pixel Pusher
Restaff
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
I think, it was always highly likely that MZ would have 48x48. It makes it easier to sell dlc to MV and MZ users.
I'm relieved about the tile size, because that means I can continue working on my own tileset.

But I can't wait to map something with MZ :LZSjoy:

JosephSeraph

White Mage
Restaff
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
also the RTP chick is apparently named プリシア? Purishia? Pricia? Priscilla?
edit: dum that was already out in that leak from 8000 years ago :yswt:

edit2:

16x16 is at least easy to use cause you can just triple nearest neighbor them.
Makes me think MZ could REALLY use some lowrez optimization.
Having some solutions for retro games would be absolutely fantastic and sorely needed.

I can easily think up of a "retro package" plugin that:

1. Disables font smoothing
2. Alters behavior of screen flashing and fading, enemy fading, and a few other small tweaks to provide a genuine retro experience
3. most importantly: upscales particle output as nearest neighbor 200%/300% AFTER the particle is rendered so you don't get ugly inbetween pixels

edit3: the features i listed are intended for HD games that fake low resolutions by scaling assets up. The other way around, by downscaling the game screen size, is also approachable but considerably more laborious XD

Last edited:

SJWebster

Too old for this ****
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English (UK)
Primarily Uses
RMMV
48x48 is here to stay but those of us doing pixel art can still just work at 16x16 or 24x24 and do a Nearest Neighbour resize in Photoshop. If anything, it makes my pixels look even chunkier and enhances the look I'm going for.

Candacis

Pixel Pusher
Restaff
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
I'm doing pixel art in 48x48 size. Works, too.

Parallax Panda

Got into VxAce ~2014 and never stopped...
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Swedish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Man, great RTP! The character art looks super cool and the enemy battlers looks really good too, much better than MV’s!

And those tweaked event commands and move route improvements... all really good stuff.

Lihinel

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
Yeah, thats why 16x16 is option nr 1 for me.
My main project uses XP Tile based Parallax Maps, but larger Parallax Maps take forever to make and run slowly or not at all if you want really big maps.
So with XP style editor being back and the maker probably still using JS, switching is definetly an option.

Skunk

Melody Master
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English/Slavic
Primarily Uses
RMMV
YES, this is great.

KillerGin

Freddie
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Nice, not bad.

I want to know what Nw.js and Pixie version its running....

jonthefox

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
The quality of life improvements with the mapping and eventing are much appreciated.

I feel like an addict that already needs another fix. Ready to talk about more stuff or tease what's in store for the next preview, Touchfuzzy? :)

Shaz

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
We need a release date though... Maybe next week?
And a price.
And a prerelease date, if there is one.
And an order button.
And just release it already.

@Touchfuzzy will the mapping system allow me to draw stuff on one layer, then copy or cut, and paste it to a different layer?

Oh - checking the jp site ... that ability to drag the map where you want it (hinted at but not explained fully in this thread) within the same 'level' will be wonderful! No more dragging every map onto the parent to fix the order just because one is in the wrong place!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

@wrigty12 hi! thanks for showing interest in my work. Sadly the tablet I'm using broke, so I wasn't able to create anything for weeks. Got a new one with display, I'm still not used to it though, so I'm still practicing, doing basic drawings again. Also I'm in my last year of college. Thesis, projects and other activities takes most of my time ;_;.
I'll get back to it whenever I get a free time.
Any artists here planning on participating in the Inktober art prompts this October?
It's right around the corner.
It's rpg maker related so I'll post it here, I worked on a little free rpg maker zine and this was my piece. Play Grimm's Hollow if you haven't already, I liked it a lot. (i don't remember if posting a link to a product even if free is allowed via profile posts, so if anyone knows lemme know)

Suddenly arrived to work and got the pink slip on a contract O_O wait, did i forget something??? (sobbing in corner rn)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mordei