RPG Maker MZ, Preview #2: Graphics, Mapping, Eventing!

Status
Not open for further replies.

BreakerZero

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English (USA)
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Less than 10 hours now before the next update... I too am curious about the "System 2" and what that would be. So far everything looks really damned good.

Knightmare

Knight of the Night
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I'm just waiting for the dad gum announcement. Guessing database stuff tonight and probably coding stuff next week, and then release date the week after. Total guesses.

Another all nighter with you guys, which is not a bad thing, you guys are a fun lot. Maybe we can share more RPG Making experiences while we wait? Or maybe we can discuss the first project we are going to start with it.

Touchfuzzy

Rantagonist
Staff member
Lead Eagle
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Another all nighter with you guys, which is not a bad thing, you guys are a fun lot. Maybe we can share more RPG Making experiences while we wait? Or maybe we can discuss the first project we are going to start with it.
You know what is a fun lot: My bed. My bed is so fun. It is the best. :B

More serious though: I've got a rough outline for the game I'm going to make for the Stream...

I legit tried to type it out in a coherent way for the last five minutes but apparently my brain is on empty so I'm going to just write random bits of information as my brain processes it:

Modern World
Secret Fantasy World leaking in
4 Heroes (Punch Fire Girl (MC, I love Actor1_4 so much), Sword Ice Man, Dagger Wind Girl, Bow Earth Boy)
Modern World is actually fake world
Fantasy World was real world, was sealed away to seal big bad boogoo devil bad thing.
Big Bad (Magic Shadow Man) Wants to bring back magic to resurrect his fiance (bow earth boy's sister), so is purposefully collapsing the seal.
The 5 characters (4 heroes + big bad) are stuck in cycle of reincarnation and are the 5 heroes that sealed the fantasy world and magic in the distant past.
Now that it is in place and it is where people live, is "Fake world" actually fake? Should the "real world" return or is the fake world now actually the real one?
Big Bad becomes one with big bad boogoo devil bad thing in attempt to be powerful enough to resurrect people.
4 heroes win, yay.

Saireau

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I like how you describe your characters as '[Weapon] [Element] [Category]'. :D (Is there a proper term for the last part?)

Winshifter

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I'm currently creating a multiverse of games. I have the basic outline for all games and how are related to each other and I've been working to create a cohesive system to be used by all games that doesn't clash or crash the game. Actually one of the games pretty much opens the door for each game's characters to meet. Some will remain in MV, the others will be all in MZ.

I hope we got information on System 2 tab. I hope we have some sort of way to configure weapons like in RM2k3 or something similar to action sequences, not fancy like with Yanfly, but something basic. That last one I think it will be a stretch because in the battle video, heroes only do a step forward like in MV. But if we have at least the option for "move towards foe" would be a nice addition. We can dream I guess.

I'll put the treatmens for each story in the spoiler section below if you want to know about them.
Project Ancient (6 games in total)
Ancient 1: Villian wants to control God to make the world in his own image. Main hero and villian have a common history. God seems to be playing both sides.
Ancient 2: Hero wants to be rich and popular, falls for a girl who is the sister of the villian. Villian is being manipulated by the goddess of creation.
Ancient 3: Evil mega corporation is trying to create portals to bring things from other worlds and get richier. Heroes try to bring down evil mega corporation down. Corporation is being manipulated by an entity who claims to be God but might actually be an elder race.
Ancient 4: Evil vampires want to turn everyone into a vampire or a monster. Heroes are hunting main Vampire villian. God is manipulating both sides to end both races.
Ancient 5: Villian claims to be a God, pollutes the world and attacks anything that is manmade or synthetic. Heroes try to stop the calamity from the villian. God says villian is not a God and actually tries to stop villian helping the heroes.
Ancient 6: Aliens try to rewrite history and destroy the planet. Heroes must seek help from previous game's heroes to avoid time-space catastrophe.

Project Shifter (2 games planned so far)
Shifter 1: Teenager finds out he has space-time manipulation abilities and will cause that the future will be a mess because of him. He and his friends, along with an assasin sent from the future to kill him, must find out how and why he got those powers and prevent the future to be a mess. Villians are basically nazis with the same powers as the protagonist.
Shifter 2 (sequel) : Because of events from previous game, now we have two versions of history, one bad and one not so bad. Now there are good superpowered nazis and bad superpowered nazis. Villian is trying to mess with space-time to bring back his dead family from World War II from a different timeline.

Project Terra (2 games planned so far)
Project Alma: Fantasy World, there are humans and magic people, but magic people has been extinct for millenia. Heroine is, apparenlty, the last of the magic people, but turns out they are not extinct but hidden. Villian wants to make humans servants of the magic people.
Project Kenja : Protagonists are transported from our world to a fantasy world, while finding a way back to their world, they have to help the Goddess of the world save the other gods from the villian. Villian wants the world to burn and reshape it to a more just one. Shifter 2 villian actually works with villian from this game.

Shifter 1, Project Alma and Project Kenja are in production right now, specially since they all share the same basic mechanics and resources. Of those 3, only Project Alma or Project Kenja might migrate to MZ but the others will remain in MV. Project Ancient probably will all start in MZ since as far as all the information we have right now, seems to be the best engine to use for development.

Knightmare

Knight of the Night
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
You know what is a fun lot: My bed. My bed is so fun. It is the best. :B

More serious though: I've got a rough outline for the game I'm going to make for the Stream...

I legit tried to type it out in a coherent way for the last five minutes but apparently my brain is on empty so I'm going to just write random bits of information as my brain processes it:

Modern World
Secret Fantasy World leaking in
4 Heroes (Punch Fire Girl (MC, I love Actor1_4 so much), Sword Ice Man, Dagger Wind Girl, Bow Earth Boy)
Modern World is actually fake world
Fantasy World was real world, was sealed away to seal big bad boogoo devil bad thing.
Big Bad (Magic Shadow Man) Wants to bring back magic to resurrect his fiance (bow earth boy's sister), so is purposefully collapsing the seal.
The 5 characters (4 heroes + big bad) are stuck in cycle of reincarnation and are the 5 heroes that sealed the fantasy world and magic in the distant past.
Now that it is in place and it is where people live, is "Fake world" actually fake? Should the "real world" return or is the fake world now actually the real one?
Big Bad becomes one with big bad boogoo devil bad thing in attempt to be powerful enough to resurrect people.
4 heroes win, yay.
I know you haven't been sleeping well since this all started but your time is appreciated. I'm just hoping you get naps in throughout the day to at least be able to drive safely. Naps do wonders but I know some people are adamantly opposed to napping since it messes with their Circadian Rhythm.

Game sounds fun. I like how you're making two worlds that blend together to show off all the tiles possible. Elemental Heroes instead of classes/professions is different than the norm and I would actually like to see that implemented in a game. But if the real world was fake world then did the heroes really win? Or did they really win but the world was fake so it was actually fake? One of those loose ended stories where the player could make the ending.

I would be pretty up if you made that soap opera thing you had going with Ralph into an actual game. I would even pay money for it lol.

I'm currently creating a multiverse of games. I have the basic outline for all games and how are related to each other and I've been working to create a cohesive system to be used by all games that doesn't clash or crash the game. Actually one of the games pretty much opens the door for each game's characters to meet. Some will remain in MV, the others will be all in MZ.

I hope we got information on System 2 tab. I hope we have some sort of way to configure weapons like in RM2k3 or something similar to action sequences, not fancy like with Yanfly, but something basic. That last one I think it will be a stretch because in the battle video, heroes only do a step forward like in MV. But if we have at least the option for "move towards foe" would be a nice addition. We can dream I guess.

I'll put the treatmens for each story in the spoiler section below if you want to know about them.
Project Ancient (6 games in total)
Ancient 1: Villian wants to control God to make the world in his own image. Main hero and villian have a common history. God seems to be playing both sides.
Ancient 2: Hero wants to be rich and popular, falls for a girl who is the sister of the villian. Villian is being manipulated by the goddess of creation.
Ancient 3: Evil mega corporation is trying to create portals to bring things from other worlds and get richier. Heroes try to bring down evil mega corporation down. Corporation is being manipulated by an entity who claims to be God but might actually be an elder race.
Ancient 4: Evil vampires want to turn everyone into a vampire or a monster. Heroes are hunting main Vampire villian. God is manipulating both sides to end both races.
Ancient 5: Villian claims to be a God, pollutes the world and attacks anything that is manmade or synthetic. Heroes try to stop the calamity from the villian. God says villian is not a God and actually tries to stop villian helping the heroes.
Ancient 6: Aliens try to rewrite history and destroy the planet. Heroes must seek help from previous game's heroes to avoid time-space catastrophe.

Project Shifter (2 games planned so far)
Shifter 1: Teenager finds out he has space-time manipulation abilities and will cause that the future will be a mess because of him. He and his friends, along with an assasin sent from the future to kill him, must find out how and why he got those powers and prevent the future to be a mess. Villians are basically nazis with the same powers as the protagonist.
Shifter 2 (sequel) : Because of events from previous game, now we have two versions of history, one bad and one not so bad. Now there are good superpowered nazis and bad superpowered nazis. Villian is trying to mess with space-time to bring back his dead family from World War II from a different timeline.

Project Terra (2 games planned so far)
Project Alma: Fantasy World, there are humans and magic people, but magic people has been extinct for millenia. Heroine is, apparenlty, the last of the magic people, but turns out they are not extinct but hidden. Villian wants to make humans servants of the magic people.
Project Kenja : Protagonists are transported from our world to a fantasy world, while finding a way back to their world, they have to help the Goddess of the world save the other gods from the villian. Villian wants the world to burn and reshape it to a more just one. Shifter 2 villian actually works with villian from this game.

Shifter 1, Project Alma and Project Kenja are in production right now, specially since they all share the same basic mechanics and resources. Of those 3, only Project Alma or Project Kenja might migrate to MZ but the others will remain in MV. Project Ancient probably will all start in MZ since as far as all the information we have right now, seems to be the best engine to use for development.
Those are some deep stories for your projects. So mechanics/gameplay wise how do your current projects come across? What type of battle system is in use?

I need to finish my dungeon crawler on MV since it's halfway done but I will simultaneously make a survival horror RPG (I know we all bled that subject to death) as my first project for MZ, I got it going on VX Ace but never finished it but I'm going to redo it on MZ. It's basically a mystery that you have to solve as you play the game. Modern setting. 2 men are driving along a rainy and stormy road and they get in a car wreck with 2 women driving along the same road. After their collision they wake up in a dungeon and they are locked in a cell together. They come to and begin to talk about the events leading up to their wreck and "capture" and they find a key in Man 2's pocket which opens the cell....off they go to solve the mystery.

Last edited:

Sharm

Pixel Tile Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Wow, that did make sense, but only barely. Sleep is super important in all sorts of ways, get some if you can! You work slower when running on empty.

I'm trying to focus on a super small, super basic project right now in the spirit of just getting something done, but the next real project I'll be doing is . . . hmm. How to explain it without major spoilers? Think save the princess plot only with the typical rewards being taken much more seriously (half the kingdom and marriage is truly stupid, if you think about it), and gender flipped. Of course, that's just the setup, the actual plot will end up going somewhere different. I will absolutely put it in MZ if Galenmereth is able to make that retro plugin, especially since Shaz has said she'll port over the gage image script she made me.

Touchfuzzy

Rantagonist
Staff member
Lead Eagle
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Knightmare The element thing comes from something I did with the first game I ever designed. Basically I had played Chrono Trigger around that time and I liked the idea of elements as a central part of the character design.

So basically I just wanted to combine Weapon type + Element. And each of them will have weapon skills (which are all zero cost, because I want people to always have options, and it being about weighing the opportunity cost of a turn versus "oh I need to save MP") and elemental magic (which has MP cost). ANd then they will have "overdrives" which are like limit breaks that are combo weapon/element attacks that use 100% TP.

I was actually going to remove "Weapons" as an equip (as they are all using relic weapons) and replace them with an Overdrive equip, which determine your overdrive, plus power up one of your weapon skills and one of your magic skills, and have variation in their stat boosts And they aren't going to be about linear up power but more about what style you want to go for.

Honestly, my "IDEAL" design for it is going to require a few plugin requests (some minor ones I imagine to be honest), but we'll see how it goes. No design survives contact with the enemy (actually implementing it).

Knightmare

Knight of the Night
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Wow, that did make sense, but only barely. Sleep is super important in all sorts of ways, get some if you can! You work slower when running on empty.

I'm trying to focus on a super small, super basic project right now in the spirit of just getting something done, but the next real project I'll be doing is . . . hmm. How to explain it without major spoilers? Think save the princess plot only with the typical rewards being taken much more seriously (half the kingdom and marriage is truly stupid, if you think about it), and gender flipped. Of course, that's just the setup, the actual plot will end up going somewhere different. I will absolutely put it in MZ if Galenmereth is able to make that retro plugin, especially since Shaz has said she'll port over the gage image script she made me.
The bolded is intriguing. I often find that mainstream type stories with minor tweaks are often the most coherent and lasting stories.

With your pixel art in play I'm sure it will be visually stunning as well. The thing too is that we don't even know all the features to MZ yet so there are some reveals that may make things easier and able to do more than before.

@Knightmare The element thing comes from something I did with the first game I ever designed. Basically I had played Chrono Trigger around that time and I liked the idea of elements as a central part of the character design.

So basically I just wanted to combine Weapon type + Element. And each of them will have weapon skills (which are all zero cost, because I want people to always have options, and it being about weighing the opportunity cost of a turn versus "oh I need to save MP") and elemental magic (which has MP cost). ANd then they will have "overdrives" which are like limit breaks that are combo weapon/element attacks that use 100% TP.

I was actually going to remove "Weapons" as an equip (as they are all using relic weapons) and replace them with an Overdrive equip, which determine your overdrive, plus power up one of your weapon skills and one of your magic skills, and have variation in their stat boosts And they aren't going to be about linear up power but more about what style you want to go for.

Honestly, my "IDEAL" design for it is going to require a few plugin requests (some minor ones I imagine to be honest), but we'll see how it goes. No design survives contact with the enemy (actually implementing it).
Thinking back on it...Chrono Trigger did use elemental heroes but it seemed like it was more an afterthought except for a few skills. I've always been a sucker for games that let you cusomtize the heroes, stats, equips, and skills. Pretty bold to remove 'weapons' but the way you described the workarounds and implementation would make it work. I think at this point pretty much every decent project is going to need some plugins and I'm sure what you request will be made by someone soon enough.

Winshifter

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Those are some deep stories for your projects. So mechanics/gameplay wise how do your current projects come across? What type of battle system is in use?
They all have some version of an ABS System I've been working on, most of it is evented with only some scripts used to make the eventing more simple. Actually most of the plugins used are from Yanfly with some created by me, based on other ABS Systems around here. Also all of them to a degree use the default side view battle systems but with a sort of an Active Time Battle System based on the one released by Yanfly with some modifications. I don't want to say too much, but the ATB does not use a bar that fills, is actually a numeric value that is used as the cost for skills and other actions like attack and guard and item. So, that's why I've been mostly been developing a sort of main project that uses all of the mechanics I want, but each game will use just some of them.

Sharm

Pixel Tile Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Taking a typical plot and adding small tweaks to make it intriguing is kind of my writing style. I'm a big fan of classic fairy/folk tales, but the things I do to make them my own tend to be surprisingly interesting, according to the people who have read my work. I really think this idea could be a fun game, though I don't know if I have the skills to pull it off. Visually interesting is a must, of course. Putting my own art into a game is my favorite part.

Shaz

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I'm just gonna start DAU all over again :( I lost my MV version when foster kitty pulled my external HDD off my desk and it died. Thankfully, someone in the forum here had one of the latest copies of my Ace version and sent it through to me. Maybe I should create a thread in the project development area and get you guys to hold me accountable to actually finish it!

I've got a rough outline for the game I'm going to make for the Stream...
Seeing as I probably will miss your streams due to time zones and *ugh* work, will they be saved somewhere for us to view later? Any idea if you'll be doing it on regular days/times and what those days/times might be, and how long each one will run for? Maybe I can adjust my work hours a little bit.

Also, half an hour to go. I bet Touch is now logged in as RPGMakerWeb, rereading his post for the 18th time, ready to hit that Submit button. If we deprive him of even more sleep, maybe he'll slip up and reveal more than he should ...

and @TheoAllen I think today we'll get the release date and open for prerelease. Because I can't afford it today.

Last edited:

RPGMakerWeb

Admin
Admin
Reaction score
First Language
RPG Maker
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Shaz I have a rough idea of when the streams would be, but we are working on the schedule for that right now.

Would be weekly, on a weekday, same day every week, from like, 8pm-11pm Eastern US time (NYC Time). Or possibly 7pm-10pm. Something around that time. I'm not a fan of the evil day star, so won't be during the day US time, I might go to 4 hours on nights that I'm "feeling it".

All the streams will be saved and uploaded to Youtube as well. We messed up in not doing that for the streams we did for the game jam. (and by we, I mean I'm trying to spread the blame out cause it was really "I" that messed up).

-Touchfuzzy.

aston00

C'wendia, Spirits In Black
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hello, appreciate the comments. Just wanna say I'm sorry for my comment. I do appreciate the community and the RPG maker engines. I have been using em for years. I just get discouraged. I understand the reasons and all so again I do apologize for my comment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 3)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

His tracks are always so wonderful.
In a narrative Choose Your Own Adventure-style RPG, do you prefer the narrative to be in 2nd person ("you saw", "you thought"), or 3rd person ("he saw", "he thought")?

What's your preference, and why?
So I have been wondering, if a scientist had to fight mano-a-mano, what kind of weapon he could use besides guns, injecting himself with Super Drug X, and piloting Mecha 13th?
3 hours of trying to figure out why my world creator was respawning stuff I wanted spliced out... Only to discover I foolishly trying to splice an object and not it's array position. *facepalms * Oh well at least some good came out of it, I remembered how much fun it is to squish Yanpi. :LZSexcite:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alfredotrojse