RPG Maker MZ, Preview #2: Graphics, Mapping, Eventing!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wavelength

Edge of Eternity
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Another week, another round of very promising info!!

Perhaps nothing as big as the ATB drop from last week, but there are some features I really like here:
  • A choice between manual or automatic layer editing is great! Both the XP way and the Ace/MV way have felt like the better choice in certain situations, and being able to swap between them is the best of both worlds.
  • The changes to Event Commands all seem like good, common sense, marginal improvements.
  • Previewing Paths is a really useful add! I've screwed up long paths by one or two (or fifteen) tiles more than once, and testing them in the middle of long cutscenes often took hours! I won't miss those days as I move to MZ.
  • The resources look like they're very high quality, in an amenable style. And the numbers of those resources are really good, too.
  • Probably the biggest game-changer this week is the reveal that all the RTP actors come with their own bust! I love that! It lets you add so much more personality to the characters.
So... given that you guys took all the effort to draw out 120 bust portraits, and even made modifications to the Show Message command... that has to mean that you're also adding an option to show bust portraits (rather than those goofy little square pictures) in Show Message commands, right? I mean, you're already 90% of the way there and it's something that so many designers want!

@Touchfuzzy One other thing I've been really curious about, and hopefully you guys can answer it (whether now or in a later preview) - what are you guys doing to improve the Documentation (Help) this time around? It was a real sore spot in MV both for basic/intermediate users (who didn't understand certain intricacies of event commands) and coders (who were left with zero help understanding the effective but extremely convoluted default code base). Are you able to say yet what the improved Help files will look like?

Great stuff this week! Every little change feels like a change for the better.

Last edited:

Plueschkatze

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
N/A
For anyone else curious how some of the asset numbers compare:

MV => MZ
Tileset
31 => 31
Parallaxes 15 => 21
BGM 18 => 48
BGS 10 => 29
ME 18 => 27
SE 218 => 345

Didn't check the character sprite related ones, as they aren't of big interest for me.
From what I checked though, we're gonna get a lot more audio from the start! ;3

Wavelength

Edge of Eternity
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA

MV => MZ
Tileset
31 => 31
Parallaxes 15 => 21
BGM 18 => 48
BGS 10 => 29
ME 18 => 27
SE 218 => 345

Didn't check the character sprite related ones, as they aren't of big interest for me.
Some of the "included" RTP assets for MV were cut from the actual package so that it wouldn't bloat file size of new games to gigabytes, but these were included in a free download - so MV did have more than 18 BGM's, for example. But your comparisons are still pretty neat, and show us that MZ is a step up in not only quality, but quantity too!

Touchfuzzy

Rantagonist
Staff member
Lead Eagle
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Plueschkatze in the interest of disclosure, MV always had more audio than was put into a project by default, some of it was just in the DLC folders to start. (Due to MV requiring both m4a and ogg it was decided that loading them all in by default would just bloat things). Now that MZ uses ogg for both mobile and desktop, there is no reason to use m4a at all, which is nice.

That said, MZ I still believe has more, just not as many more as your numbers.

@Wavelength out here ninjaing me.

MajinSonic

CupHog
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
N/A
It rotates between Automatic, 1, 2, 3, 4 then back to automatic.
Ok thanks... :)
What a bad idea for shortcuts. I will destroy my keyboard while rotating through layers... Miss the right layer and so on XD
I would prefer one shortcut for every layer or a layerbutton like XP :D

luzi

Freelance Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Thai
Primarily Uses
RMXP
Omg, layered mapping. It's really coming back! Not to mention, that Move Route preview function is awesome too!

Yeah, I'm definitely buying MZ

Lion Blade Soler

Autistic Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Ok thanks... :)
What a bad idea for shortcuts. I will destroy my keyboard while rotating through layers... Miss the right layer and so on XD
I would prefer one shortcut for every layer or a layerbutton like XP :D
Personally, I'm just glad that the XP layering system was brought back. Plus, I don't mind not using the shortcut key for the layering system as I tended to not use the shortcut keys for the layers on RMXP.

LNDRdev

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Another solid reveal, picked up MV in the Steam Sale to get familiar with the new dimensions and whatnot. Now I’m glad I did as MZ will be even nicer to transition to once our project finally kicks off.

Looking forward to pre-order news!

Chaos17

Dreamer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French

MV => MZ
Tileset
31 => 31
Parallaxes 15 => 21
BGM 18 => 48
BGS 10 => 29
ME 18 => 27
SE 218 => 345

Could you tell us if the tilesets are the same that Trinity got?

I would love to have the Steam punk in MZ. @Touchfuzzy

Starmage

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
FIlipino
Primarily Uses
N/A
Omgggg!!! This is heavenly!! 120 RTP busts and graphics??!! Powerful events and previewable move routes??! Layer mapping?! I want this delivered to my doorstep asap! xD

Here goes... WOW!!!

(even though ive already been wowing since the video trailer got released xD)

Caxlb

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Just saw the post on facebook and noticed this. Does this mean we have 8-directional movement?
1593680152106.png

dragoonwys

Freelance Illustrator
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Let me just throw my hands up and say these artworks are lovely!! I really appreciate that there is a modern and fantasy version of the characters. That said, considering the number difference between the Walking sprites and the Monster battler numbers, Im pretty sure they will be missing map sprites again. Time for the next "MZ- What is the RTP missing" Thread to come up soon.

Milennin

"With a bang and a boom!"
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
  • The mapping looks like it is going to be a huge improvement, which I found one of MV's biggest weaknesses.
  • More event options are always welcome. I like to rely on events to do stuff for me, rather than plugins, if it's a viable option to do so, so having more powerful events is a big plus.
  • Preview move route looks like a nice convenience tool. It always was annoying having to count the number of tiles with events that needed to be moved a lot.
  • Still not really sold on the chibi sprites, but it's something I can live with.
  • The artwork for the heroes and the monsters looks really good.
  • Map screenshots a bit too tiny to judge, but interesting to see map sets for a cathedral and a modern city.
  • 345 SE, what the... That's a huge amount. Hopefully, there's a lot of new sounds in there. I feel like RPG Maker has clung to the same sound effects for a very long time now, a few still coming from the 2K days. I like that there's going to be a good amount of RTP assets, since it's what I like to work with for my RPG making.
It's looking pretty good for an upgrade over MV.

Starmage

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
FIlipino
Primarily Uses
N/A
The faces on those busts...
We can make exactly those in the character generator, no? :D
Does that mean we could push the faces we create (using the generator), onto the busts and they would fit?
(Hope this makes sense.)
Yes!!! Even if there are no busts for the generator, if we can fit in our customly made chars faces on the busts via photoshop, that would be highly perfect! ❤

I have always loved franken-arting existing busts and facesets together with recoloring and whatnot if it pulls them away from the usual look that everybody else uses.

So 120 busts package deal is heavenly for a franken-arting addict like me xDD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

I spoke with hudell and many programmer about the Window_BattleLog class and we all just agreed to pretend this class just doesn't exists lol
I haven't been able to solidify a cohesive plot so dropped out of a game jam but, on a fun note, I pre-ordered MZ today! :LZSwink:
So I just spent the weekend...playing my own game. The one I released last year. Yep you heard that right.
Goal for MZ? None... I'm still curious how to finish my VXA project and how it looks like when it actually finished. Which will take at least another two years. Coming late again to the party.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
janetjoradan