RPG Maker MZ, Preview #2: Graphics, Mapping, Eventing!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Meike

||Telling Stories Through Games||
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I feel redundant posting as at this point cause I AM SOLD

Move Route Preview, Get Location info: Region ID for player/events, Map Layers (that we already knew about but still!) and...I must say those busts are pretty awesome! Will probably use those for game jam type projects...and if we can frankenstine face graphics from the generator onto bodies....yeah, that was a good idea guys!

I really want more info on the Eventing tho!

DoubleX

Just a nameless weakling
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Chinese
Primarily Uses
N/A
We need a release date though... Maybe next week?
Given that MV was released on 23 Oct 2015 with its 1st trailer revealed on early Aug 2015(I'm not sure on this one), My wild guess on the release date of MZ is something like late Aug to early Sep(one can always hope) :)

Dark_Ansem

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RM2k3
So, are monsters animated now?

Astfgl66

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
These new and improved features look so great! I really loved old mapping, I'm so glad it's back.
The new RTP looks awesome too, many kudos to the artists! The fact that it's the same characters for modern and fantasy is such a good idea too. :kaoluv:

Animebryan

Need more resources!
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Those enemy sprites looks suspiciously like the same old laziness where they're designed to face a certain way to be usable for both Front View & Side View. It seems they haven't decided to make a distinction between FV & SV sprites. I'm also curious about whether they all have a map sprite or not.

The Stranger

The Faceless Friend
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Animebryan Probably not. We'll likely see a few monster\evil sprites (one directional large sprites as well as smaller ones), and a couple of animals.

@Dalph Did you see the tiny truck in the tile layer gif? Bet you're glad they're back. :p

AfroditeOhki

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
Primarily Uses
RMMV
First thought: oooh yeah I'll definitely get MZ even if it's to use the extra assets for my MV game

Second thought: buuut I wonder how long till we get dragonbones and grid-free doodads in MZ for me to consider turning the entire project into MZ instead

Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Those enemy sprites looks suspiciously like the same old laziness where they're designed to face a certain way to be usable for both Front View & Side View
I think you're being more than a little harsh in casually labelling that as "laziness" (again). Might it be, perhaps, budget constraints? Not only theirs (good artists don't come cheap), but also those of potential buyers? The greater the range the more expensive it will be. Presumably that is of no concern to you, as you are so insistent that this change, but it might be of concern to others less financially fortunate than you.

bgillisp

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@Touchfuzzy Are you able to say anything yet about how default assets are, or are not, loaded into a new game? One of the things I like about VX Ace is that you can chose to have no default assets added so that you can import only those assets that you are actually going to use, whereas with MV you have the lot and then have to go through the hassle of getting rid of what you don't want. Such a nuisance. It would be good if it were more like the Ace system.
Thanks
You can fix that by editing the new project data. Many complained about no control of the RTP In ACE (as it felt like all or nothing unless you did the ini trick then manually imported everything you wanted) so now you can decide what is included by default by editing what is in the new project data.

Juanita Star

Witch of compilations.
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
RMVX
Okey, now this is impressive. And the "preview move route" thing is a extreme blessing. And gotta love that castle.

Also, heard the ost and is amazing.

ICF-Soft

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Map layers still needs something that is already in XP, toolbar buttons.
In XP there are layer1, layer2, layer3 and events. MZ should have auto, layer1, layer2, layer3, layer4, events.

I still miss XP proportions. It could be good to have this proportions back in MZ RTP.
Mainly reason is because assets and games tend to be based on proportions given by RTP. Proportions also need proportional tilesets.
I've tried to make character templates with XP proportions but I'm not as good pixel artist as I would like.

Also I'd like to see the codebase even knowing that will change anyway.

omfgkevin

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Lotta good changes like the preview route/busts but always feels disingenuous when they keep trying to make it look a LOT larger by listing the same assets twice (enemies/sv enemies) which unless they have changed it is the same thing....

Xelion

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Looking cool, MZ!
Was hoping for the move route enhancements which I guess it's similar to what MV Trinity offered.
The RTP is nice (guys, if you don't care about it that doesn´t mean "no one" cares).

For people insisting on the busts in the character generator, we already saw screens of the new generator and we could see the addition of part offsets and more down poses but it still generates faces, characters and battlers. It'd be far too complex to generate even busts. On the plus side, they seem to be mostly in the same pose, making the editting easier for anyone wanted to do it as some mentioned.

And... after reading some comments I can say I like how people keep jumping to conclusions against the indicated things. Like, now that we have new features, they can't find anything worth complaining but they need to, so they have to make up some...

The Stranger

The Faceless Friend
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
And... after reading some comments I can say I like how people keep jumping to conclusions against the indicated things. Like, now that we have new features, they can't find anything worth complaining but they need to, so they have to make up some...
People just love to complain. xD

Jules98

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I've been following this in the background, but I must say: I am pretty wowed by what I've seen so far, especially the RTP. Since its looking like I'll be having a lot of free time on my hands next year, I might even get this at launch!

Sal-O-Mac

Macaroni with Sal
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I must be getting old. Everything in those map screens looks cluttered because of the inconsistent way the tiles are rendered. They look at once dated and extremely busy. I dunno. I think I like MV's tilesets better in terms of cohesion. Maybe I'm just seeing it wrong since everyone else seems to like them. And given I can just use MV's tiles I guess it doesn't matter.

But that new mapping tho! That's the type of update I've been waiting for! Now, I'll admit I was disappointed that it was confirmed that we switch layers VIA drop menu. Sounds like it would mess with workflow, but knowing there's a shortcut gives me relief.

Put A tiles on the upper layer, use D tiles as a base. Stack 4 A tiles, or 4 B-E tiles, or any mix in any order!
I'm very excited about this! but I want to make sure I'm not reading this incorrectly. Does this mean we can ditch the auto-tiles that usually take up A2 - A4 and replace them with regular tiles like the B-E types? (In addition to having B-E) Because that would be absolutely amazing...

That move route preview! Long overdo and a welcomed addition. I want to say I'm sold now. Anything else is icing on the cake.

Last edited:

masterlobo

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
Looking good!!!!!

I wish I could port my MV game to MZ to take advantage of the layers lol

Anyways, I'm sold on MZ :) (I already was)

RPGMakerWeb

Admin
Admin
Reaction score
First Language
RPG Maker
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I'm very excited about this! but I want to make sure I'm not reading this incorrectly. Does this mean we can ditch the auto-tiles that usually take up A2 - A4 and replace them with regular tiles like the B-E types? (In addition to having B-E) Because that would be absolutely amazing...
You can use any tile in any layer. So if you want to not use autotiles at all, you have a lot more room in B-E to make base tiles than you did in RMMV (since you could only use A tiles as base tiles before)

(Still Touchfuzzy, just have switched accounts cause I was working on the new resource pack release post...)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

Would Jump into Javascript be best off continuing to break down the MV core files, or would people prefer a quick detour to cover everything that's changed in the core from MV to MZ?
Not going to lie... PIXI Particles make fantastic graphics... But predicting the hitbox of something with a "fixed size" but whose graphics can stick out past that, is quite challenging. :kaoswt:
Would you like a glass of spiders?
Besides my Might and Magic inspired project, I have always wanted to make a Fire Emblem-like game. Time is the culprit... Between life, composing music packs, and working on a game can it be done!? The tactical plugins for MV work quite well based on what I have tested.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kaezyelnatz