RPG Maker MZ, Preview #3: Character Generator, Plugin Manager, Event: Plugin Command!

Status
Not open for further replies.

RPGMakerWeb

Admin
Admin
Reaction score
First Language
RPG Maker
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Last week was exciting, but let's move on to something new! Character Generator, Plugin, and Coding Changes incoming!

Enhanced Character Generator!
The RPG Maker MZ Character Generator, on top of having all new art, has had two major changes to help you create the hero or villain you envision!

Offset Function!
First up, we have the brand new Offset Function. Move components up, down, left, or right to fit your vision. Bunch up facial features, adjust the way glasses sit on a character’s nose, move that hat to better accommodate your character’s hair, and more.

Put every piece where you want it.

Add More Gradients!
Easily add more gradients to eyes, clothes, accessories, hair, and skin color. You are no longer limited to a certain number of gradients!

Add a new row in the gradient png files, and the Character Generator will pull that new gradient into the Generator as a new option. It’s just that easy.

Plugin Manager Enhancements
The Plugin Manager has also seen a few quality of life enhancements.

First up, you can switch plugins off and on from the Plugin List rather than having to go into Edit to switch them off. Not a big change, but one that can save a bit of time.

Additionally, in the Plugin List, we now allow plugin creators to define load orders and requirements in their plugin. The Plugin List will then tell you if you don’t have things set up right!

This change should make adding plugins to your game more error free!

Additionally, the fields in the Plugin Editor have had a few changes, letting plugin creators put in their author name, and a URL, so users can quickly find the author’s site for help, updates, or just more plugins!

Event: Plugin Command Powered Up!
Instead of a single box you type a plugin command into, Plugin Creators can now define their Commands to be selectable in the Plugin Command by selecting the Plugin, then selecting a Command Name from a dropdown list!

The Plugin Creator can also define Arguments for you to send Parameters to the command, making the Plugin Command way more powerful, and way easier to use!

These new changes to the Plugin Manager and the Plugin Event Command will make using Plugins to enhance your next game a breeze!

Rebuilt Core Engine, Editor, and Player

And speaking of Plugins, let’s talk about CODE! RPG Maker MZ has reworked the code for almost every part of RPG Maker. From the Game Engine, the Player, to the Editor.
  • Game Engine code entirely rewritten to follows current JS standards (ES6)
  • PIXI has been updated to the latest version.
  • Game Player Framework, Chromium, and nodejs have been updated to latest versions.
  • Editor has been rewritten for the latest QTEngine for modern hardware.
What does this mean for the average user: Everything will run more smoothly and with less hiccups..

What does that mean for plugin creators? Oh, we think they already know. And all the average users will reap the rewards of the extra power at the fingertips of plugin developers.

Update Corescript Menu Command
No more confusing copy paste process when RPG Maker has an update to update your projects! This one is just a Quality of Life upgrade, but a much needed one nonetheless.

When RPG Maker upgrades, all you have to do to upgrade your project is open Game => Update Corescript and boom. You’re done.

Last edited by a moderator:

Shaz

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Wheeeeeeee! I love everything about this update!!! I knew my day would come :D

That ability to disable plugins right from the list will be a huge timesaver.
The new plugin command window will save so much confusion!
Very nice that you can add the author & URL to the plugin info.
The offset function in the generator (especially the demo in your post) gives me some fun ideas.
And really nice about the gradient too - will it work the same for skin colour? I know there were a few people upset about the lack of darker-skinned or blue-skinned characters.
And the Update Corescript will be awesome! Will it let you jump versions if you didn't install every one as they came out, and will it make a backup of your project first?

There will be no more of this:
Veteran: Make sure your Yanfly plugins are in the right order
Newbie: Yes, they are
Veteran: (looks at screenshot) No, they're not. Go fix them then come back if you still have the issue

Last edited:

gif

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
RMMV

xDRAGOONx

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
ALL THE GRADIENTS!!!!

All joking aside, I definitely see myself picking this up shortly after it launches and starting a small project just to get a feel for the coding changes, as I have been doing more" looking under the hood" of MV, as one might say. I won't abandon MV, there's just too much going on there for me right now, but I am sure I will transition eventually. Pretty much everything I have seen so far in terms of improvements has been solid.

Ritter

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
this is the kind of update i wanted to see! I'm pretty excited now :mrsatan:

Touchfuzzy

Rantagonist
Staff member
Lead Eagle
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Ok, so here is the biggest update in my mind.

(Not counting the upgrades to all the core engine/player/editor code, cause that stuff is a big big deal, but not like, "immediately game changing")

Is the Plugin Command upgrades.

I know that technically all of that was already possible to do, but man, is this so much EASIER to do and so much harder to screw up. This is a big huge giant leap forward for most devs. And maybe, just maybe, between that and the error messaging being added to the plugin manager, we'll get less complaints about plugins not working that are user error.

Just maybe.

nio kasgami

VampCat
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
RMMV
oh gosh

YES ES6 NO MORE I have to write prototype xD I am pretty happy! well YES technically I still have to write ES5 when overwritting but this mean we can use ES6 and not confuse the people since now it's how the standard will look.

Would it be possible to show an example of how we parse the new plugin command?
also those life quality are awesome ;w;

as we could say....
I am very wowed

Knightmare

Knight of the Night
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
There's no way I'm not going to be messing with that offset for the character generator. I will no doubt be laughing at some of the absurd faces I can make with that thing!

Aerosys

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
german
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Wow these features are small but super awesome!!

K2loid

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Wow, the only thing I'm personally interested in is how I will look into the eye of madness pimping out my gradients selections, but the QoL for scripters here is really encouraging. Load order is often disorienting to me, so that's another small thing with a big impact.

PixelHeart

The Pixel Heartist!
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Other
What does that mean for plugin creators? Oh, we think they already know.
:3 Yus, but I programming is not my forte. Would one of you programmers mind giving me a few examples of the advantages of this? Genuinely curious.

Lion Blade Soler

Autistic Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
Primarily Uses
RMMV
When RPG Maker upgrades, all you have to do to upgrade your project is open Game => Update Corescript and boom. You’re done.
Awesome! That's almost similar to what Unity does and it's very convenient, in my opinion. By the way, since this week is about program code, I wanted to know if Z-position for the battle scene is back on RPG Maker MZ, please. MV didn't seem to have that, while VX Ace had that.

EDIT - P.S.: I like that the gradients can be added for the Character Generator. This is a game changer.

Shaz

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I know that technically all of that was already possible to do, but man, is this so much EASIER to do and so much harder to screw up. This is a big huge giant leap forward for most devs. And maybe, just maybe, between that and the error messaging being added to the plugin manager, we'll get less complaints about plugins not working that are user error.
If I could 'love' this post 50 times, I would!

SeaPhoenix

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Love the plugin command power up! I always forget the exact name, capitalization, order of arguments and whatnot of plugin commands.

nio kasgami

VampCat
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
RMMV
:3 Yus, but I programming is not my forte. Would one of you programmers mind giving me a few examples of the advantages of this? Genuinely curious.
In MV we had a very basic plugin manager who wasn't offering links to our library, if you putted the plugins in the wrong order it would erroring.

and for the plugin command ...it was just a single line of text that people had to fill themself....

I can tell you how annoying it was to get angry message our plugins was broken etc because someone didn't know how to properly type something or to look the doc.

now it also will light our doc a lot more. it will be more organised toward documenting the command.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Hi, I just finished the sprite section.

I open a commission for Pixel art and art, for more examples I'll present tomorrow.
Can someone test a windowskin for me? I can't while traveling (I'll send as PM).
VX/VX Ace Kids is the Best for Me,but MV/MZ Did a Bit Better than VX/VX Ace But Nothing Beats VX/VX Ace!

Finally finished the first character for the free bust set I'm making. It turned out more big
SD than chibi, but I can't help but fall into my natural style. I'll post a thread once I've got more to show.
Resident Evil: Infinite Darkness :LZSgrin:
I am excite.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BitterBitter