RPG Maker MZ, Preview #3: Character Generator, Plugin Manager, Event: Plugin Command!

Status
Not open for further replies.

oriongates

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I don't suppose there's any chance that the process for adding generator elements has gotten any easier? I really don't look forward to importing them if it's the same system but a different base number of generator parts. I mean, I'll do it. But I won't like it.

EDIT: Looks like I missed a post that confirms it's the same. Ah well. At least it's something I only have to do once.

nio kasgami

VampCat
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Assuming the engine uses Z-Depth ordering just because PIXI v5 has it is not an ideal thing to do. Just because the graphics library the engine uses has a feature doesn't mean the engine itself will utilize it,..
Oh lol.

I think when people read fastlt how i write does provoke confusion. Please make sure i didnt said it would be *maybe*

I said it might or might not but pixi js 5 come with an interactive sortimg or not built in container.
Now if rm use it or not is all relative.

i Never assumed i said it might its just me not writting proper english please take in this consideration since my wording can be mostly bad.

Last edited:

K2loid

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I’m curious how much of a clash the new resources would have with older resources from MV?
The increased graininess of the spritework, while making it 1) more flexible and 2) MUCH easier to add to, makes it look a little odd next to painted sprites like FSM (though a lot of the walls and filler are detailed enough it looks like it'll gel; the new wild trees, for example). It'll make it more compatible with more minimal sets like DS, so still a big fan. Strictly RTP-wise, they're close enough that you only have to lower saturation to get them to match. (Possible in-engine? The only thing left to reveal is the updates to the Database, and the new tileset setup hasn't been revealed yet. Though the chances are it'll just be the Classic Hue Slider Bar.)

Sprite-wise, just copy-paste the faces onto the old sprites and you're golden. If they for some godforsaken reason don't merge the assets from MV with MZ, it wouldn't take much effort to do it yourself. (Well, it would, but mostly in terms of file shuffling, because they KEPT THE FILENAME-BASED LOADING :LZSteary:)

Portrait-wise, a lot of generator resources will work with MZ, but a few (such as eyes, back hair, clothes) will break due to the adjusted perspective (and of course, the neck position changing). Of course, the positions match up enough I'm sure it won't be too difficult to edit them.

I wish we at least got the pieces in their own separate folder (ie accessories -> tv/accessories) instead of being dumped into whatever sprite section they're assigned to. My eyes always glaze over every time I pop it open.

Jitsu

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I wish we at least got the pieces in their own separate folder (ie accessories -> tv/accessories) instead of being dumped into whatever sprite section they're assigned to.
This would be so great! One folder for each part.. to add new parts just put in a new folder. Naaaa its to complicated.. so much hurdles to implement. Let it still like it is.

K2loid

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
This would be so great! One folder for each part.. to add new parts just put in a new folder. Naaaa its to complicated.. so much hurdles to implement. Let it still like it is.
That's a little too granular. I can figure out how the cape layer system works by myself, but the fact tails, wings, hairs, CLOTHES are all in the same folder...like maybe a little splitting pwease
1594333857821.png

Jitsu

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
They could have invested time to change it to something better. But now users can invest their time to continue working with the old system.

In every part of the engine they try to make the user as comfortable as possible. But where it is urgently necessary, leave everything as it is.

Sharm

Pixel Tile Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
I'd like an improved generator but honestly, the generator has always been a bonus. It's never been the point of the engine, and never will be, especially since so many people will never use it at all, so investing as much time/effort into it as other aspects wouldn't necessarily be wise.

Dororo

Gespenst MKII pilot
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Italian
Primarily Uses
RMMV
The layer Icon are the best example to see how much interest and mony spend in this new engine from the producer side.
-Okazaru-san, I'm really anguished by the lacking of a Layer Icon in the interface.-
-...-
-Let me repay by offering you my life-
(Trespassing himself with a sword)
-No! Uchimaru-kun!-
-Shut up! That Uchimaru threw shame over the name of our Zaibatsu!-
-Lord Okazaru! It was my fault!-
(Kill himself shooting in the head)
-I... I can't sustain such shame T_T...-
(All crying warm tears)
-BAKA! You know, that guy in the forum noticed the lack of the holy Raieru Iconu. Now, our ancestors are cursing us and our childs. How we can stand in face of the white demons?-
-But... is just AN ICON OF THE INTERFACE!-
-Gwooo! Shut up! Muchiro, Kanjiro, decapitate this silly monkey!-
(Squelcth!)
-Now, the Emperor gave me 1 billion rice bowls to devise the interface. You should immediately retire ALL the Beta and add Raieru Icon - unil that, forget for RMMZ to be released! That's my word!-
-H...hai!!-

Jitsu

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
maybe many don't use it because it doesn't have enough parts. and maybe there would be more parts if the structure were different? I have often heard from people that they create resources they no longer make parts for the generator because of the complicated structure ..

Edit: the generator is part of the engine and has his own Button.. not just a Bonus. Holy HIS OWN BUTTON!!!

Hm Okay. Lets Talk a little about the Testplay Function and the Android Export. Have no much hope for it.. its the same too? Or can the engine Test Android Games and export to .apk?

Touchfuzzy

Rantagonist
Staff member
Lead Eagle
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Is it too late to suggest new features?

The Offset would be even more useful if we could expand/contract the size of parts in the character generator.
That kind of stuff doesn't work well with 2D images, you'd just get blurry messes.

Htlaets

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Speaking of the Character Generator, will it have the ability to add tabs for different body types? As an example, people using the Character Generator had to switch sprite sheets for the male human body with the ones for the beast bodies, so I wanted to know if that would no longer be the case with MZ and if MZ users will be able to create tabs for different body type, like the beast body types and the zombie body types.
Sounding like a no. Schlangen's extended is what you wanna look for if you want all the new MZ features + more and easier resource import.

Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
This update is very promising. Im not a great programmer, but I know enough to know how big this is. Very impressed. Also, cool generator stuff. I too wish it would be easier to add stuff too though.

Winshifter

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
JavaScript as it exists today is a far, far cry from what it was when first created. It's closer to an object-oriented programming language in its own right than it's ever been. Of course it's still not as attractive a choice for development that isn't front-end web, but it's way more than just an input validation tool now.
I'm aware of that, but most IT companies only use it for front end, web validation or ajax stuff and it has become very popular, specially for front end web development, now that the cloud is like the IN thing in the business and industrial software development.

Back on the subject, I thing that the plugin command enhancement is the most WOW thing for this week's info release, it really becomes a very QoL thing to use. I just hope it's easy for plugin developers to set the proper parameters and probably ways of validating the data. I do have some questions though, it was mentioned that the screen has all the plugin commands for the scripts loaded in the project. What happens when two different plugins have the same name for a plugin command? Is there a way in the screen that says from which plugin does the command is implemented? Or we have to kind of guess based on the parameters?

Prescott

argggghhh
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Heck yeah, the plug-in enhancements are absolutely incredible. Not only does it allow users to more easily use plug-ins but it lets plug-in creators get more creative with their plug-ins!

Something I'm wondering about updating your game: can you downgrade it too? I suppose if you can't you'll still need to save a copy of your core scripts just in case plug-ins are no longer compatible.

DoubleX

Just a nameless weakling
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Chinese
Primarily Uses
N/A
Back on the subject, I thing that the plugin command enhancement is the most WOW thing for this week's info release, it really becomes a very QoL thing to use. I just hope it's easy for plugin developers to set the proper parameters and probably ways of validating the data. I do have some questions though, it was mentioned that the screen has all the plugin commands for the scripts loaded in the project. What happens when two different plugins have the same name for a plugin command? Is there a way in the screen that says from which plugin does the command is implemented? Or we have to kind of guess based on the parameters?
I'd guess that some sort of plugin identifier(like a plugin name or things like Imported) will be passed along with the plugin command name, thus removing plugin command name collision entirely :)

nio kasgami

VampCat
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I'm aware of that, but most IT companies only use it for front end, web validation or ajax stuff and it has become very popular, specially for front end web development, now that the cloud is like the IN thing in the business and industrial software development.

I'd guess that some sort of plugin identifier(like a plugin name or things like Imported) will be passed along with the plugin command name, thus removing plugin command name collision entirely :)
I think if it's will work PluginParameters. it will behave not like regexp but JSON oriented. so we will be able to just JSON parse the command?
or just Recursive loop json parse.

Dungeonmind

Lvl 4000 Humanoid
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
First up, you can switch plugins off and on from the Plugin List rather than having to go into Edit to switch them off. Not a big change, but one that can save a bit of time.
This isn't a new feature for me, I have RPG Maker MV and can turn off and on the plugins from the list?

Shaz

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Has it actually been said that this is possible? With MV, if two plugin creators used the same plugin command, the one that was lowest in the list had a good chance of picking it up. Unless something special has been done with MZ to qualify it with the plugin name (and I haven't read anything indicating that's the case), then the issue will still occur.

Does it happen much though?

I have RPG Maker MV and can turn off and on the plugins from the list?
Not from the list. You have to open the plugin manager, then double-click on each plugin you want to enable/disable, and do it from that screen. MZ lets you do it without having to double-click and open the plugin parameters window.

Prescott

argggghhh
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Also, scaling images in the character generator would probably require vectors, not traditional images.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Stream is running late, but will begin shortly with some Darkest Dungeon!
More plugins coming this Wednesday, along with updates to our core engine!
Love the escape codes that saves time putting valued information :)
Playing around and working on Confused Chicken. Here is some rough art of the main character!!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
YearofNezumi