RPG Maker MZ, Preview #3: Character Generator, Plugin Manager, Event: Plugin Command!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Kinda curious with the char gen: how different is the base body from MV? It kinda looks like the SV is mostly the same motions, but that could be my terrible comparison skills.
The only thing that's changed about the character sheet poses in the creator is multiple down poses in TV. We were shown a screenshot in a past thread.

ImaginaryVillain

Resident of Silent Hill... Apparently
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Absurdism
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@slimmmeiske2 Ah fair enough. Not going to lie I didn't really read the Twitter post, nor the entire last update thread. Just wanted to make certain nothing that was supposed to get spoiled was left out.

Sharm

Pixel Tile Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Can we get any information on how importing graphics for the generator is going to work? MV's was pretty annoying when it comes to adding in parts, and you couldn't really replace things with taller versions without running into limits.

Touchfuzzy

Rantagonist
Staff member
Lead Eagle
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
I'll have to pass the more detailed info about Plugins/Coding to @Archeia , because I'm a big dumb dumb and will probably not be able to give you very accurate info there :B :B.

nio kasgami

VampCat
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Touchfuzzy Roger haha I think yeah Archeia will be able to answer me this question xD.
but I don't think the way plugin parameters was handled really changed? (like with comments in our plugins)

MushroomCake28

KAMO Studio
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Wheeeeeeee! I love everything about this update!!! I knew my day would come
You have won this battle, but not the war!

nodejs have been updated to latest versions.
While I'm very happy about that, I'm not sure the current greenworks.js works with the more recent nwjs versions. If it's not, it's going to be a headache to implement the Steam SDK features. I might be wrong and someone might have written a new greenworks.js version though.

Trihan

Speedy Scripter
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
It's called I'm running on a sleep deficit and I'll admit I overlooked that I left the intro paragraph from the last announce in.

As for the rest of your post?

I promise you a lot of the plugin creators are salivating right now. Not every bit of info is going to be for every user.
I mean I'm sending you the dry-cleaning bill for all the drool that ruined my clothes.

SJWebster

Too old for this ****
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English (UK)
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Shaz It's unrealistic to expect every update to be targeted at me. RPG Maker has a variety of user types, artists, coders, story tellers, students, hobbyists, commercial game developers, all sorts. The updates would hopefully have a mix of news concerning different elements so most people walk away with something.

The plug-in news was a minor "So what?" for me. It makes coders' lives easier because there's less opportunity for users to screw things up / not understand how to use them. There'll be less reason for them to contact the plug-in creator with complaints. Good for them, but that's honestly not a problem I've had.

MZ has stuff for me, move route preview, the return of manual mapping layers, Effekseer seems interesting, enhanced eventing reducing the need for plug-ins, changing things like the output resolution in-engine without needing a plug-in.

In a way, it feels like last week targeted beginner / intermediate / legacy users while this week is so tightly focused on advanced users / coders that there's nothing at the table for anyone else. The news could have been more evenly distributed.

K2loid

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I'm guessing System2 will be the last reveal & then we get preorder and release date? I wanted to be able to buy by my birthday on Monday but...more or less expecting the information we'll get is good too.

Trihan

Speedy Scripter
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Shaz It's unrealistic to expect every update to be targeted at me. RPG Maker has a variety of user types, artists, coders, story tellers, students, hobbyists, commercial game developers, all sorts. The updates would hopefully have a mix of news concerning different elements so most people walk away with something.

The plug-in news was a minor "So what?" for me. It makes coders' lives easier because there's less opportunity for users to screw things up / not understand how to use them. There'll be less reason for them to contact the plug-in creator with complaints. Good for them, but that's honestly not a problem I've had.

MZ has stuff for me, move route preview, the return of manual mapping layers, Effekseer seems interesting, enhanced eventing reducing the need for plug-ins, changing things like the output resolution in-engine without needing a plug-in.

In a way, it feels like last week targeted beginner / intermediate / legacy users while this week is so tightly focused on advanced users / coders that there's nothing at the table for anyone else. The news could have been more evenly distributed.
Right...last week was for the engine users, this week is for the creators and coders. It's okay to focus updates. Talking about a spread of different things means less space for specifics.

4. The plugin command in MZ seems to be much, much more useful than the MV counterpart(Maybe I'm too dumb, but I really don't even know what's the point of plugin commands in MV over well-documented traditional script calls yet)
It's pretty much just for people who don't know JS to be able to use more natural-sounding commands to access the stuff under the hood.

MushroomCake28

KAMO Studio
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@SJWebster Actually, as a coder I'm very happy about the announcement this week. A switch to ES6 is a big change, a new PIXI version is also very significant. Those are bigger deals than non-coder realize, especially performance wise and in terms of new tools to play with (more for coders who know PIXI.js). The new plugin command is also huge. It makes it A LOT easier to integrate third party systems INSIDE the editor.

nio kasgami

VampCat
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@SJWebster Actually, as a coder I'm very happy about the announcement this week. A switch to ES6 is a big change, a new PIXI version is also very significant. Those are bigger deals than non-coder realize, especially performance wise and in terms of new tools to play with (more for coders who know PIXI.js). The new plugin command is also huge. It makes it A LOT easier to integrate third party systems INSIDE the editor.
Also pixijs5 have some veryyyy nice life quality improvement such as zdepth for child sorting so we can assign zvalue to sprite

Wavelength

MSD Strong
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
This is nitty and gritty and technical... but I LOVE nitty and gritty and technical because it's where a game-making engine can go from clumsy to great!

Update CoreScript is going to be such a great addition. No more working with obsolete versions (unless you want to), or getting disastrous results trying to copy newer core files into an old project.

I also love this re-imagined Plugin Command event command. Such a great way to put power at every user's fingertips. One question on this: Will the Parameter entry boxes for Plugin Command event commands support "complex" nests of parameters (where one field turns into an entire list of fields), similar to the complex structures that recent patches of MV have allowed on the Plugin Editor screen?

MushroomCake28

KAMO Studio
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Also pixijs5 have some veryyyy nice life quality improvement such as zdepth for child sorting so we can assign zvalue to sprite
HOLY SMOKE I DID NOT KNOW THAT!!! HURRAY!!!! The return of the Z position!

Shaz

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
You have won this battle, but not the war!
Big words for someone on page three!

@SJWebster I didn't really think the updates each week were targeted at any particular group - I thought they were just a mix. Not everything this week is targeted at coders - I hardly ever touch the character generator, and the plugin manager stuff is more for users than for plugin creators. It makes our lives easier by making other people's lives easier.

Hopefully there'll be stuff in next week's update that you'll find more interesting.

Touchfuzzy

Rantagonist
Staff member
Lead Eagle
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
So I'm just going to comment right now as a fan of RPG Maker, because...

I just want to express my opinions as an "average" user. Yes, I know I've used RPG Maker for like 25ish years, I know that I understand the ins and out of eventing and stuff like that.

But I can't code. My JS is horrid, and my Ruby was never good enough to do anything other than hack stuff until it sort of worked. I'm the "average" RM user. I'm just a guy who thinks he has good ideas and wants to bash RM into making them reality.

The changes to the Plugin Command are like, super hype for me. Game changingly hype. I'm super excited to see how much Plugin creators will super power the event system with new commands now that it isn't super clunky to use.

I love it. I don't think this announce was for "coders only" though I think they are probably the most excited because the backend upgrades are a big deal.

Anyway, again, this is me being a fan. I know it is hard for some people to see me that way because I'm also a company representative, but you know, I can't change that. Believe me or not.

This announce was actually the most exciting one for me.

TWings

The Dragon Whisperer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Additionally, in the Plugin List, we now allow plugin creators to define load orders and requirements in their plugin. The Plugin List will then tell you if you don’t have things set up right!
@Touchfuzzy i guess it's fine for plugins made by the same person, but how does it manage plugins from multiple sources ?
Will there be an error message if my level 2 plugin is above someone else level 1 plugin even though they're unrelated ?
Or is it set just by defining a parent plugin name in the setting ?

Last edited:

nio kasgami

VampCat
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
RMMV
This is nitty and gritty and technical... but I LOVE nitty and gritty and technical because it's where a game-making engine can go from clumsy to great!

Update CoreScript is going to be such a great addition. No more working with obsolete versions (unless you want to), or getting disastrous results trying to copy newer core files into an old project.

I also love this re-imagined Plugin Command event command. Such a great way to put power at every user's fingertips. One question on this: Will the Parameter entry boxes for Plugin Command event commands support "complex" nests of parameters (where one field turns into an entire list of fields), similar to the complex structures that recent patches of MV have allowed on the Plugin Editor screen?
From what I see right now the plugin command behave the same as the plugin manager

TheoAllen

Self-proclaimed jack of all trades
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesian
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I'm pleased to see Plugin Command upgrade. It is essentially an "editable editor".
Thank you so much for updating this! :D

EDIT:
Why I'm seeing that I could abuse this plugin command upgrade for animated (sideview) battle sequence.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Resident Evil: Infinite Darkness
I am excite.
Actor2_4 added!

I Didnt Like or Disagree with @Andar Due to Him Saying this when We talk about VX (Not Ace): VX is the worst version of the RPG-Makers as it had only one tileset and is missing many features to improve the game development. It is a very bad choice to base a new project on.
It seems to me that I'm too lazy to make new MZ plugins with my full time job, so I'm porting my easy, simple and small MV plugins instead.
I hope I can port 1-2 such plugins per day, but this will be hard for me :)
just mechin' around this morning - MZ edit, feel free to use, must own MZ

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
robwork