RPG Maker MZ, Preview #3: Character Generator, Plugin Manager, Event: Plugin Command!

Status
Not open for further replies.

MushroomCake28

KAMO Studio
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I'm pleased to see Plugin Command upgrade. It is essentially an "editable editor".
Thank you so much for updating this! :D
And you must also be happy about the return of the Z position xD!

nio kasgami

VampCat
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@TheoAllen @MushroomCake28 just fair warning i think its kinda work like the old vx ace z value but child are still working as an array in pixijs so i dont think you can go z = 9999 unless theres a safe proof method that just let you clamp to the array size

Anyone

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Enhanced Generator
Overall just meh. Not gonna use it, I'll keep using Schlangan's generator, which is still vastly more powerful and has lots of features the generator doesn't have - or if I find the time, I'll find a programmer to work with to build a new one that has even more improved functionality.
It's probably nice for people who only want to build their default characters, but damn, there's like a couple dozen improvements, many of them that require little work, that could be done to make the tool vastly more useful.

Plugin Manager
The setting up of requirements that users can see is okay, though in the past that was already kind of possible either through the plugin giving errors alerts directly or just documentation.
For plugins from different plugin creators, this won't remove the compatibility problems that users will face, so it's just a few less complaints from people who use mostly 1 plugin creator.

The link is probably the most helpful addition, though the restriction to just one link makes me realize people didn't understand what that link could be used for...
If you have 2 links, you can link not just to the homepage, but plugin creators can also link to websites where they uploaded a guide with pictures, so that the manual can be opened with one click on the link.
Now plugin creators have to decide: their website or the manual.
>.>

Event Plugin Command
Urgh. Just...
I don't know.
Why?

On paper, it looks good. Wow, I can click on a plugin list, scroll through the plugins, select the plugin, then scroll through the plugin commands, select the command, then select the parameters and voila!

For beginners this is probably very useful.
But at the same time, the lack of a command line is a severe downgrade for experienced users!
If you have 200+ plugins, it's one hell of a hassle to just keep scrolling, clicking, selecting a hundred times if in the past, you could just write: "FadeIn 180 NoWait" and bam. It works.
The work of one second now turns into a searching, scrolling and selecting tedium that's bound to infuriate anyone who worked with MV and uses a lot of plugin commands.

For the love of god, please add the old command line back in as option. It's powerful, it's fast, and it's less likely to make me go insane.
This right here is actually a massive reason NOT to use MZ for advanced users.

IT's slow, clunky and will ironically get in the way of people who use plugin commands frequently.

Rebuilt Core Engine
The first really good piece of news ( that we kind of already knew).
Updated to ES6, this is gonna be interesting to browse through and see how much more will be possible now. The update for PIXI is also great.

The power of ES6 and PIXI is probably the most interesting thing in MZ for me so far, by a landslide.

Update Corescript
Great addition. In the past, updating existing problems was an inconvenience for everyone and for beginners especially a bit of a horror show.
This is another major positive point for MZ.

Richard John S

Rpg Maker Music Pack Contributor
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Everything looks cool. I especially like the artwork for the character generator.

TheoAllen

Self-proclaimed jack of all trades
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesian
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
And you must also be happy about the return of the Z position xD!
Trust me, it was one of the whole reasons I throw the table out to the window (not literally) and went back to Ace.
@TheoAllen @MushroomCake28 just fair warning i think its kinda work like the old vx ace z value but child are still working as an array in pixijs so i dont think you can go z = 9999 unless theres a safe proof method that just let you clamp to the array size
child sprites are handled in array is expected. As long as I could determine the rendering order, that's all I need.

EDIT:
But at the same time, the lack of a command line is a severe downgrade for experienced users!
Why would you think that it means the command line is removed?

Dalph

Nega Ralph™ (RM Tyrant)
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Italian Curses
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Great updates here and there!
I'm a jellyfish regarding coding but if the programmers are happy then I will be too!

@Touchfuzzy
Completely unrelated to coding but PLEASE, can you just press the Randomize button on the Character Generator and show us the first result through a small screenshot?
I'm eager to appreciate the true beauty of a randomized MZ face and see if we can have eyes around the nose area or a mouth on the chin, or maybe floating hair? The possibilities now are infinite.

fluffymonster

She's So FLUFFY!
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
The character art looks pretty good. :kaoluv:

SJWebster

Too old for this ****
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English (UK)
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I'll happily admit I'm low key jealous of coders and plug-in makers. There's clearly a lot you're excited about this week, but I honestly can't follow your conversations. It's all going over my head. It's clearly more significant than I'm capable of realising.

I'm in a very similar boat to TouchFuzzy. Been using the engine since the Don Miguel days, but I don't really know how to code (yet). I used to consider myself an advanced user, but with Ruby (I think that's what it was called? I largely skipped the VX generation in the same way I played Crash 1 to 3 but not Wrath of Cortex) and JavaScript coming into play, the bar and ceiling got raised to a place I couldn't follow (still haven't). I'd now consider myself intermediate or competent.

Collaboration seems more important than ever. Plug-ins have changed the face of the engine. It's madness to consider making a game without Yanfly's core plugins. They open the door to brand new possibilities and greatly expand the engine's scope, but for me their impact is entirely reliant on the community and what's publicly released. I don't feel any control, agency, ability to contribute, or excitement around it.

I'm in a place with plug-ins where I sort of know what I'd like to do (battle character sets for weapons layered on top of a character's regular battle character so we essentially have visual equipment. I want to see my guys holding the new sword I just found in that dungeon, I want to immediately know if I have a Fire Sword equipped) but I don't know how to do it. I'd love to learn though.

There are some tools and links on these forums saying where to get started with plug-in creation, and I have tried them out, but they either assume you already know JavaScript or teach you JavaScript alongside HTML and CSS in the context of creating a website. I'd love to see a video series that focuses on "Okay, you don't know how to code. You want to learn specifically in the context of making an RPG Maker plug-in. Let's start with a hello world and do a series of simple plug-in projects that will teach you what you need to know." If anyone knows of any, please throw the links at me.

Trihan

Speedy Scripter
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I'll happily admit I'm low key jealous of coders and plug-in makers. There's clearly a lot you're excited about this week, but I honestly can't follow your conversations. It's all going over my head. It's clearly more significant than I'm capable of realising.

I'm in a very similar boat to TouchFuzzy. Been using the engine since the Don Miguel days, but I don't really know how to code (yet). I used to consider myself an advanced user, but with Ruby (I think that's what it was called? I largely skipped the VX generation in the same way I played Crash 1 to 3 but not Wrath of Cortex) and JavaScript coming into play, the bar and ceiling got raised to a place I couldn't follow (still haven't). I'd now consider myself intermediate or competent.

Collaboration seems more important than ever. Plug-ins have changed the face of the engine. It's madness to consider making a game without Yanfly's core plugins. They open the door to brand new possibilities and greatly expand the engine's scope, but for me their impact is entirely reliant on the community and what's publicly released. I don't feel any control, agency, ability to contribute, or excitement around it.

I'm in a place with plug-ins where I sort of know what I'd like to do (battle character sets for weapons layered on top of a character's regular battle character so we essentially have visual equipment. I want to see my guys holding the new sword I just found in that dungeon, I want to immediately know if I have a Fire Sword equipped) but I don't know how to do it. I'd love to learn though.

There are some tools and links on these forums saying where to get started with plug-in creation, and I have tried them out, but they either assume you already know JavaScript or teach you JavaScript alongside HTML and CSS in the context of creating a website. I'd love to see a video series that focuses on "Okay, you don't know how to code. You want to learn specifically in the context of making an RPG Maker plug-in. Let's start with a hello world and do a series of simple plug-in projects that will teach you what you need to know." If anyone knows of any, please throw the links at me.
Have you tried either of my series? Because the first parts very much do go into the absolute basics and the bare minimum you need to know to make a script/plugin.

nio kasgami

VampCat
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@SJWebster you can go to code academy i think its call? That will teach you the basic basic of js.

Tbh javascript one of the easiest language to learn. As for relared ro mv you will have to fiddle with mv to understand how they do that.

Its pretty much like all we did : trial and error.

DoubleX

Just a nameless weakling
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Chinese
Primarily Uses
N/A
If you have 200+ plugins, it's one hell of a hassle to just keep scrolling, clicking, selecting a hundred times if in the past, you could just write: "FadeIn 180 NoWait" and bam. It works.
The work of one second now turns into a searching, scrolling and selecting tedium that's bound to infuriate anyone who worked with MV and uses a lot of plugin commands.
1. I guess that the oldschool script call option would be still there, and I think most advanced users will be okay for that.
2. I wonder if later on the MZ plugin command will be further upgraded to let users search/type a plugin/plugin command name in the list(perhaps with some kind of auto complete features) as well :D

Last edited:

Dalph

Nega Ralph™ (RM Tyrant)
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Italian Curses
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
@Touchfuzzy
Thanks a lot for that!

Honestly the MZ faces look all pretty so far, it's gonna be more challenging to make monsters in the next Face Generator Contest.
Although the New Offset option hides a secret power to uglify even the cutest face.

:rheh:

slimmmeiske2

Little Red Riding Hood
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMXP
She's just so cheerful and chubbycheeked. I want to pinch them.
Saaaaame. Feels like I'm turning into a grandma, pinching chubby cheeks.

I saved the json for the settings. I'll send it to you when MZ releases.
Quick, there's still time. Send her to the Japan office, so they can officialy add her to the RTP. :XP1C:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Stream will be live shortly with some Darkest Dungeon! Feel free to drop by!
Made a HUGE (YYOOOOJJ) Update to Monstructs and moving towards a Steam Early Access release!
A skill type called: "Rumagic". The intention is Magic with Rum(that pirates drink)
Does it sound strange in English?
So I'm having issues with my steam account... so I can't use MZ right now, so I can't work on my game until its solved, so it be harder to be ready for 31... guess I'll get ice cream :kaopride:
Motivation! Inspiration! There you are. I was worried you guys weren't going to show up today. Let's get this thing going!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bobcevr