RPG Maker MZ, Preview #3: Character Generator, Plugin Manager, Event: Plugin Command!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Coelocanth

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Question about the plugin load order feature:

Will it be possible to declare a soft dependency?
(e.g. this plugin is independent, but if you use YEP_BattleEngineCore*, that needs to be loaded first so that compatibility patches work)

*Yes, an MV plugin, just used as an example here.

BloodletterQ

Chaotic Neutral Assassin
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
I’m curious how much of a clash the new resources would have with older resources from MV?

And I still don’t get the Z.

nio kasgami

VampCat
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Question about the plugin load order feature:

Will it be possible to declare a soft dependency?
(e.g. this plugin is independent, but if you use YEP_BattleEngineCore*, that needs to be loaded first so that compatibility patches work)

*Yes, an MV plugin, just used as an example here.
You could technically setup the patch to be either below or above the plugins.

if the patch is inside your big engine then I think warning that the plugin go above then it's better to write it out just in case.

I’m curious how much of a clash the new resources would have with older resources from MV?

Z is the depth of an image or The order the image is draw on screen.

so if Sprite A have a Z of 2
and Sprite B have a Z of 1
then Sprite A would be on top while Sprite B would be below.

Lion Blade Soler

Autistic Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Adding new parts is going to follow the same scheme as before. There are just a lot of hurdles involved in creating a different way to import pieces into the Generator.
Speaking of the Character Generator, will it have the ability to add tabs for different body types? As an example, people using the Character Generator had to switch sprite sheets for the male human body with the ones for the beast bodies, so I wanted to know if that would no longer be the case with MZ and if MZ users will be able to create tabs for different body type, like the beast body types and the zombie body types.

Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Is it too late to suggest new features?

The Offset would be even more useful if we could expand/contract the size of parts in the character generator.

Rayhaku808

Chubbizard
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I was hoping to see something on better utilization of the GPU, unless I'm blind. I do already need 4 eyes after all.

K2loid

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Speaking of the Character Generator, will it have the ability to add tabs for different body types? As an example, people using the Character Generator had to switch sprite sheets for the male human body with the ones for the beast bodies, so I wanted to know if that would no longer be the case with MZ and if MZ users will be able to create tabs for different body type, like the beast body types and the zombie body types.
Yeah, I was hoping for [USER DEFINED] tabs like they did with weapons, at minimum :< The way it's set up now, you'd have to create entirely new generators that have to be renamed to be opened inside the editor, which is...not...ideal. Stuff like, idk, furry, skeleton, isolating elderly faces to narrow the possible generator results, etc.

Not to shade our new queen regent of randomgen Wendy, of course, who proves perfection is possible.
wendy.png

MushroomCake28

KAMO Studio
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I was hoping to see something on better utilization of the GPU, unless I'm blind. I do already need 4 eyes after all.
New nwjs probably means better optimization and GPU use. That kind of thing is not much up to RPG Maker, they have less control than you might think. Javascript is a high level coding language, so there's less access to the hardware directly. Anyways, the rendering is not created by RPG Maker.

Veno

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I think a lot of people are overlooking:

"Game Engine code entirely rewritten to follows current JS standards (ES6)"

Honestly, this isn't a small thing. And it's big not just for it's reason, but when coders go through an overhaul on major systems, they fix little details, improve a bunch of little things for optimization and quality of life stuff. There's potentially hundreds of key improvements and fixes to what mv was and had, and these things are often done on the fly and don't get really logged or noticed as anything substantial.

So it's not a life changing "wow" glittery feature, but it's a huge improvement on the foundations of the engine. With stronger foundations, the doors on what's possible to code into it open up vastly.

I also will say that the plugin quality of life stuff isn't even just about making newer devs lives easier. Plugin developers will find really creative new ideas of plugins that can now exist because this feature creates new avenues for them to style and design their tool.

The wow in today's post is just said silently. And in 1s and 0s. But it's there.

Shaz

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I wonder if there are any changes to the Notes boxes in the database, or any additional field that allows us to set up stuff for plugins, while leaving the notes for ... well, notes?

Plugins using database notes is such a common thing, it'd be great if they've adjusted it so we can have multiple slots or they're easier to use in some other way for that purpose.

The wow in today's post is just said silently. And in 1s and 0s. But it's there.
A few of us saw it :)

Kaliya

// Caffeine Overload
Developer
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Z is the depth of an image or The order the image is draw on screen.

so if Sprite A have a Z of 2
and Sprite B have a Z of 1
then Sprite A would be on top while Sprite B would be below.
Assuming the engine uses Z-Depth ordering just because PIXI v5 has it is not an ideal thing to do. Just because the graphics library the engine uses has a feature doesn't mean the engine itself will utilize it,..

The Stranger

The Faceless Friend
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
British English
Primarily Uses
RMMV

From what we've seen they don't look too different. They look a tad brighter, but it's nothing a bit of desaturation can't fix.

MushroomCake28

KAMO Studio
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Assuming the engine uses Z-Depth ordering just because PIXI v5 has it is not an ideal thing to do. Just because the graphics library the engine uses has a feature doesn't mean the engine itself will utilize it,..
Right, but we can easily add it in if it's not already.

Finnuval

World (his)story builder and barrel of ideas
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
The plugin commander thingy is something I am looking forward too :)

Jitsu

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Wow really? The MZ Generator has the same file structure like MV?

Holy,.. this is unwowed..

I love the Generator, but put new stuff in this ist just frustrated.

I think in this cashcow are only stuff wat was easy to implement.

Look at the layer function. It has no Icons to navigate.. was a big Problem to integrate too?

This is just a Joke.. hope MZ can handle more then 1 Core..

Sharm

Pixel Tile Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
I don't understand how Wendy is so adorable.

Finnuval

World (his)story builder and barrel of ideas
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Wow really? The MZ Generator has the same file structure like MV?

Holy,.. this is unwowed..

I love the Generator, but put new stuff in this ist just frustrated.

I think in this cashcow are only stuff wat was easy to implement.

Look at the layer function. It has no Icons to navigate.. was a big Problem to integrate too?

This is just a Joke.. hope MZ can handle more then 1 Core..
Well lucky nobody forces you to buy it then...

Jitsu

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
The layer Icon are the best example to see how much interest and mony spend in this new engine from the producer side.
-> Is it complicated to change? When we let i like it is.
Adding new things to the Generator is pain i the *** but toooo much hurds to change it. Nice to hear. Then it is for me to much hurds to buy it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

I get scam calls all the time so today I gave them a piece of my mind. They hung up on me. Sweet revenge.
There’s a beehive in my wall
Just finished my midterms! Freedom! Alright, back to gamedev!
I confirmed my train ticket yesterday. I'll be heading to Orlando on the 29th... last time I went, I found this little treasure!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SpunkySpade