RPG Maker MZ, Preview #4: Event List, System Tab Options, New UI, Release Date & Price!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Touchfuzzy

Rantagonist
Staff member
Lead Eagle
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
You seem to not understand that RPG Maker makes a large percentage of its money off of casual users who aren't going to want to pay subscription to use the engine.

Most people using RPG Maker are not commercial users who are going to pay $10-25 a month to access the maker.

What you would pay personally is not the same as what users would pay.

I mean, here is a test: People in this thread, Like this post if you like flat cost for RPG Maker and you own it forever, Angry face this post if you would prefer a subscription service.

EDIT: Also, clearly the reason we are releasing MZ is because I wanted to farm reaction score. I'm so far behind on the leaderboard!

Last edited:

Dalph

Nega Ralph™ (RM Tyrant)
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Italian Curses
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
@Killuki Zaoldyeck
People like you are the reason of why everything is a friggin annoying subscription service today, games included. You pay monthly and have fun with it, I wanna pay just once and have something that is 100% mine and forever.

Oh and btw.
I'm a hobbyist (like most people here) and wanna make silly short free games that everyone can enjoy, and I absolutely don't wanna pay monthly to do that. Thank you.

Last edited:

ImaginaryVillain

One With The Particle
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Absurdism
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Not going to lie, the more I read this thread, the more I think, "If you want Unity or Game Maker, they're right over there. Why not use them?" This really is meant to be a JRPG WYSIWYG, (which is weirdly and delightfully very extendable), that is geared towards the making the average person believe they can make their own JRPG.

Such a great intro tool into the world of game development, I'm amazed so many people want to mess that up by tossing on an endless supply of narrow features. Especially with a system so easily extendable by plugins. Personally I'm very excited they don't add all those features I won't use into the main program. I would much rather just add/make plugins as necessary for the features I need, so that my game runs far better, and isn't shackled by an endless amount of extra code. :LZSwink:

Htlaets

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Yeeeaaaaahhh, not interested in subscription rpg maker. That being said, I'd prefer occasional hefty $40 expansion DLCs to add new base features over a completely new engine, but I can see the why of not doing that. Granted, it feels like that's the idea behind tools like Sakan and the other tool DLC's but they're pretty lacking to be called feature expansions. I'd pay 30 quid for MV to have visual move routes in the editor, for example, and that wouldn't hurt compatibility, but something like gene isn't worth the money, heck, I'd even pay a large amount of money for a better integrated dialogue visualizer.

Last edited:
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
N/A
You seem to not understand that RPG Maker makes a large percentage of its money off of casual users who aren't going to want to pay subscription to use the engine.

Most people using RPG Maker are not commercial users who are going to pay $10-25 a month to access the maker.

I mean, here is a test: People in this thread, Like this post if you like flat cost for RPG Maker and you own it forever, Angry face this post if you would prefer a subscription service.
Sorry but clearly you didn't read the OPTIONAL one-time purchase part (here enters casuals too), which I mentioned a few higher price tag as example, I said no excuses, a serious business can bring BOTH CHOICES for the good of themselves and the more creative community.

Discussion ends here, I don't talk only about my own preference when critiquizing your business model, I talk as a customer of SEEEVERAL branches with no bands on it's own eyes. Your avatar should remove it's band too, maybe it will make you read better.
Sorry. Jokes aside, I'm just tired, I'm like the ass of the world ultimately, I find many business mistakes and blindness that makes me sad and tired of living, is so hard implement things to satisfy both kind of customers for the good of the growth of the company? If at least suscription model weren't already a thing developed.

Just think, suscription model for more serious customers, cheaper one-time purchase for casuals, maybe restricting very few things like the tier 1 of my example just because these people just paid like a year worth but after that they aren't continuously support the work of developers and resource authors.

Suscriptions exists to satisfy the needs of SEVERAL peoples. Behind for example Netflix tier 1 suscriptions what is paid is the subs team, dub team, the rights of emission on chosen regions, the software development, the engineers behind the servers, the marketing team, promotions including paid advertising, and many more things thanks to a price less than 10$/mo, a really low quote that in few years made a platform so big, and a quote being cheaper than tobacco or a menu in a restaurant, or ten cups of coffee as US loves to say "give a cup of coffee".

If degica made same thing while preserving the one-time purchase model, its artists, developers, promotors, scripters, etc would get their salary improved and even would can get more buddies in the boat. Why don't at least do this with the resources on the store first so you get money for improve more constantly the engine itself?

But well, if you want to continue mention casuals (yeah say Casual user to To the Moon devs and other projects) stay in the coldness and tranquility of the shadow, stay there, the sad part is that you as company has more than enough energy to burn even the sun and it was demonstrated in the past, but you have fear of leave the comfort zone and keep the head cold and focused on pursue a better future. Just don't cry once other competitors makes a better engine than RPG Maker, I warn you, would say names of already in development competitors, one of them is freeware forever and no, isn't the one everyone thinks about. Just, don't cry and bear in your heart the hard decision of abandon a business, ans it's whole community tool due competitors being harder to beat.

I remember you, we are already in year 2020, in the way of reach year 2021. Nothing is more sad than fall in an inevitable obsolescence due reacting too late and being a "pighead" (cabezón AKA fool in spanish) due don't wanting to recognise your own defects due coming the words from a young son. Pigheads either ends abandoning their sons (customers), or sons ends abandoning them due finding a better place to live (born unbeatable competitors).

You should look more seriously into getting profit now that is not too late, and stop ranting with excuses to the more exigent customers, Rantagonist friend , and the rest of your team. What keeps a business to not continue growing faster is just don't want to pleasure the most possible the needs of the most customers. Rpg maker is kinda like a familiar business, and familiar business must be more greedy for the sake of keep their family and descendants alive in a unknown but already known much harder future.

EDIT: Few fixes, I write too much without translators that forgot write some things.

Last edited:

Winshifter

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I'm also ok with the one pay for RPG Maker, but I would love that at least they would think of having official plugin add ons for MZ, even if they are just small packages of 10 plugins or 15 or 20, but official and that have proper compatibility with each other or that it specify which ones are compatible or not.

Touchfuzzy

Rantagonist
Staff member
Lead Eagle
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Sorry but clearly you didn't read the OPTIONAL one-time purchase part (here enters casuals too), which I mentioned a few higher price tag as example, I said no excuses, a serious business can bring BOTH CHOICES for the good of themselves and the more creative community.
I ignored it because the cost you proposed in that first post was unfeasible from a business perspective. $100 is roughly what we charge now, once every 3-5 years, and you are suggesting that it provide way way way more than we provide now, and that it be everything we ever produce ever again.

That is not a feasible option.

If you want one RPG Maker from now on with just constant monthly gradual updates rather than periodic updates and then large updates to a new version every 3-5 years, it would have to move to a pure subscription service. And I really don't feel that is going to be a thing most people would want.

Last edited:
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
N/A

EDIT: Also, clearly the reason we are releasing MZ is because I wanted to farm reaction score. I'm so far behind on the leaderboard!
My post is more long and consistent, your post is shorter and aims to a niche public and completely ignore again the fact that I FU**** MENTIONED to KEEP also the ONE-TIME PURCHASE. Result is clear, stop tricking my words. You just DON'T want have a SINERGY of BOTH one-time purchases for "casuals" AND OPTIONAL suscriptions to those who aims higher.

Yeeeah is better try to make over 900$ from one person if they want access to all resources and make the authors suffer for get a single purchase instead to place a cheap suscription service to largely boost the transactions and share the slice with ALL your authors equally! Or did your staff share the same percentage with the most sold resources author and with the least sold resource author now that every customer has to pay SEPARATELY each resource pack from your store? If you do that, this is admirable. However, if you put an OPTIONAL subscription, more authors will get benefits, and more people would be able to join in the boat.

Hell, there are videogames which I don't remember right now due being so disconnected of everything ultimately, that sells as one-time purchase their game AND places OPTIONAL suscriptions to get access to certain features. I don't remember well their names, but I guess that they ended being Free with OPTIONAL suscriptions just due being more accessible to more people.

You also remember that even casuals are paying Amazon prime, netflix, supporting twitch streamers and youtubers, etc.

I bid that if you just put suscription model WHILE KEEPING THE ONE TIME PURCHASES without playing a childish reaction game, this, and after a more aggressive marketing to stop being just another niche engine, you'll get heavily surprised of how the sales are boosted.

Suscriptions are for support a whole team, one-time purchase is good, but this alone isn't enough for improve the best you can.

If optional suscriptions were a thing since 2012, Mz would have two map modes: classic 2d and boxy 3d as low. Send regards to cutievirus doing marvelous things with mv3d plugin, hope to see its plugin in MZ, sad that it still isn't a built-in feature, see you in RPG MAKER XYZ on 2027 once *cough cough* competitor already made this.

Isaac The Red

RedMage
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Gibberish
Primarily Uses
I'm going to lay this out so that I hope you understand me. And the direction I come from with my stance on this.

Software as a service makes sense. You pay subscription to a software and you can use it as you like while you maintain your subscription. This kind of business model works for a lot of companies, such as Adobe with their creative cloud, or Live2D with Cubism, and many others in the multimillion dollar professional software tools industry.

The disconnect here is that while yes you can certainly make money with what you create with RPG Maker, it isn't marketing itself as a multimillion dollar industry game engine. It market's itself as a tool that will allow anyone to make an RPG. With tools that are so easy to use, a child can learn to use it with relative ease. They are marketing to kids, and adults that love jrpgs and would love to make one themselves but have no idea where to start. [technically also marketing to those of us who already have been using the RPG Maker series for years, but that's unrelated] Their marketing says, "Hey come try us out, it's not that expensive, and you can start making games to share with family and friends. Oh by the way, you can also sell the games you create!"

What your buying when you buy RPG maker: An engine that your game will run in, the tools to setup maps, items skills, characters etc... Assets, like sound, and tilesets, character art, animations, music, all of the visual and audio pieces needed to make a game. Your buying a Starter Kit.

Now let's look at what your paying for with a common Software as a service program like Photoshop; you are paying for access to a powerful photomanipulation and art creation tool, built to work alongside many other software within an ecosystem [Creative Cloud] Built specifically for creative collaboration between different software in the suit as well as different people, usually on a local network.

Now looking at who buys these two things. RPG Maker: Mostly beginner game makers, who want to make rpgs and don't have much or any coding knowledge but still want to make something because they love games. As well as some more experienced game makers, who either started with an older version of rpg maker, or thought this would be a cool toy to create in. A lot of the time it is also people who have a story they want to tell in game form, but no real way to get that story into a game easily, and this software does make that easy.

Photoshop[or the whole Adobe CC suit]: Artists and Content creators, who charge commissions, or work on a contract basis who need this software to continue making a living. Large Professional Movie studios, Media and News Studios, film makers, etc... primarily people or companies in professional environments where collaboration is necessary to complete the jobs. A lot of the time, these 'subscriptions' are billed to clients, or are payed for by the studio the individuals work for. There are far fewer cases of individuals paying those subscriptions, Unless they are consistently earning a living because of said software.

RPG maker is not a tool that can validate itself as a monthly cost, no studio is going to pay for 10+ workstations to have access to this software for their team to make the next final fantasy, the software isn't built in a way that would even make that a possibility. If your working on a project, YOUR working on a project. The software isn't broken up into nodes where one guy can be over here making maps, while another one is over there working on combat balancing and skill design, while a third works on dialogue, and a fourth works on whatever. It's one tool, made to be used by one person.

In the end though, Kadokawa understands their userbase enough to understand a key thing. Software as a Service, if they were to change to that business model, it would fail. There are no AAA Studios that depend on RPG Maker to make a profit and pay their employees, unlike Adobe Creative Suit, where there are Hundreds who are dependent on their software to allow them to make a living.

You have to know your audience, and for the most part, here in the RPG maker community, were a bunch of hobbyists. We'll gladly pay a hundred bucks every few years for the next engine, and we'll gladly pay 20 bucks here and there for some cool new assets to play with. Most of us wouldn't pay monthly for RPG Maker though. We would just find something else, or keep using an older version.

And you can yell and scream about how you said also to keep the one time purchase option all you want. That doesn't change anything, especially with what your suggesting they offer for that one time purchase, along side what you expect them to offer as a Software as a Service. It's naïve to think it would even be plausible for this kind of software with this target audience.

ICF-Soft

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
The fact that casuals support other content creators doesn't mean that they will spend money in a subscription when there are other professional engines that can be used for free. The one time purchase with the discounts is what is working for them and will still work.
Moving from their confort zone in this way requires a lot work and restructuration and doesn't guarrant success. If customers doesn't support that system it will fail.

Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
N/A
@Killuki Zaoldyeck
People like you are the reason of why everything is a friggin annoying subscription service today, games included. You pay monthly and have fun with it, I wanna pay just once and have something that is 100% mine and forever.

Oh and btw.
I'm a hobbyist (like most people here) and wanna make silly short free games that everyone can enjoy, and I absolutely don't wanna pay monthly to do that. Thank you.
I'm also a hobbist that has every rpg maker from 2k to mv and then mz. But you as the rest loves to react, and sorry about the word, like a ****** without eyes, where did I said ONLY suscriptions? Don't you UNDERSTAND THAT EVERYTHING YOU MENTIONED COULD GROW AND QUICKLY IMPROVE thanks to PRECISELY the suscriptions? And the BEST ones talking precisely about videogames are either the free ones with OPTIONAL suscriptions or these who has a sinergy between one-time purchase and suscriptions or, as low, purely cosmetic sales. CSGO, Fortnite, hell, even COD joined into the boat, not just to take advantage of the BR trend, also due how "rentable (spanish word)" is such business model while selling as one-time purchase their entire game. Because the money they lose from piracy is gained from suscriptions.

You are just like a innocent baby, I fell in almost all possible kinds of shadows already and know more than enough what I'm talking about. So much software deaths and/or obsolescence I've seen due rusty models.

Also remember a thing, the people who really doesn't care about a thing, doesn't even say a word, just fill a visit number in a count and leaves silently, that's why most comments are positive, making a wrong illusion of everything going right. "But people love my content! Why I don't grow?" Well, you can do a poll... ah, that also isn't worth, just look for another kind of audience and the sales will speak themselves.

One-time purchase And optional suscriptions to improve the Quality of Service for BOTH customers (one-time ones + subs one) due sharing the slice of the cake with all employees.

If every person had to pay 25,000€ as one-time payments to watch all Netflix content, or 300€ for stop watching ads on YouTube (ignoring that ADblockers exists), or 50€ for access to Facebook without have a single bit of ads, or 1000€ to download and play WoW without pay an additional suscription, and more things, and more examples I could give, all these things you critiquize would be accesible only for rich persons.

See how TI industry works on YouTube, there was a video explaining deeply why suscriptions model born, there are a lot of things to pay,and if Degica and Kadokawa doesn't implement an OPTIONAL subscription model on its business is because they doesn't want to grow and save the stress of be a worldwide success, and stay as a niche for casuals.

Unity? Hah, you're comparing a complex engine with an engine that can be easy but be EVEN better, buddy. That's what you people doesn't understand. Poor Yanfly, Victor Sant, Pheonix Kagedesu, cutievirus, etc. Working hard to fill the holes that the lack of an OPTIONAL suscription model leaves on the engine, some of them even punishing their free time and health without forming part of the company itself, all done by the love of the engine. If Optional suscription model were already implemented, Degica could directly offer a job to each of these talented authors and them receive an stable salary doing what they love do.

Is better keep a greedy kind of customer that only looks for themselves and doesn't want to see even in a paint the word "suscription" although their One-Time purchase is still there. This remember me to stupids comments of spanish-talking people whinning because FFXI and FXIV is never released in spanish, their greedy talks of unsense hate to a single suscription of dlcs makes companies think that spend a penny to spanish customers is a waste of human resources.

TLDR: Are you happy with your one-time purchase? Do it. U want more? Support everyones work by paying an small suscription, and your loved engine will receive quicker updates, bug fixes, and company would be able to unlock several resources for smaller-to-free prices, and, why not, release even new kinds of engines aside the "classic" JRPG ones, like FPS Games, more creative engines and more being still easy to use for casuals with potential to be commercially supported.

If we don't use Unity/Unreal instead, first study one-to-ten years about 3D modelling, concept art, programming, etc etc, OR get 1M$ to pay an SMALL team PLUS pay the loan of the office, their equipment and more things, even for a SIMPLE game, because them are advanced software not meant for just casuals.

RPG MAKER software can STILL stay for casuals AND BRING advanced built-in features? Not enough money for that? Implement CHEAP suscriptions starting at 9.99$/mo to 24.99$/mo as much (obviously decreasing costs if customer pay a full year, like 179.99$/yr for the higher tier and 59.99$/year for the lower tier WHILE KEEPING one-time purchase of the engine FOR CASUALS like us, my friends.

Thanks, you explained a point I was trying to explain multiple times, thank you.

BUT. Please don't reply me again, you people, @Touchfuzzy or anyone like I'm just talking about replacing completely one-time purchases for complete suscription model.

I ****ING SAID TO KEEP THE ONE-TIME PURCHASE MODEL AND PUTTING SUSCRIPTIONS AS OPTIONAL FOR THOSE WHO WANTS MORE.

Hell, ****! Said it several times and I'm already tired to being treated like the evil of the movie.

Is amazing how much time I put into writing something and still like in real world people cuts my words and places their own words in my mouth and then in the future "naah you didn't said that", a ****, its WRITTEN. What's bad of have one-time purchase for casuals and implement suscriptions for those who wants more?

I just quit this discussion now because now I'm feeling agressive, everyone talking like I want to kill the one-time purchase while what I said is KEEP ONE-TIME while implementing as OPTIONAL SERVICE a suscription for those who wants more features that MZ, or MV, or anything doesn't bring by itself (itself = sightly improved for casuals, OPTIONAL suscriptions = advanced features for more exigent customers (DOESN'T NEED to be a serious business or a big company). Learn about the competence, forced to say one: Smile Game Builder, easy 3d RPG Making very similar to RPG MAKER (but it's 3d!), may also import downloaded 3d models for Unity which engine can import from other 3d software (unlimited access to any kind 3d models thanks by open-source programs and exporters). Why I do still prefer MZ then? Due easiness? No, Smile is still too green and unknown for me, but if Smile project gets stronger, the entire RPG MAKER branch may scream, because it also allows advanced uses, it's just too green right now. And there are more engines in the corner for cheaper prices or even free and already brings 3d maps as low with exactly the same tileset feature as RPG MAKER.

Take advantage now that the competitors are still green and mostly unknown, and PUT OPTIONAL SUSCRIPTIONS TO BOOST SALES AND GET READY THE ENGINE WITH OPTIONAL ADVANCED FEATURES.

Advanced features? Yes, only plugins alone doesn't exist, Degica could put the suscriptions to let customers be able to add ADDONS that brings ADVANCED features, like 3d mapping, real-time test, real-time battle movements preview, wysiwyg event edition, MULTIPLAYER features and more things I can't think now because its 2:17 and I must wake up at 8:30Am to go harm my back until 18:00PM on an office where I'm behaving like the fool coordinator of a hotels project for get paid like a regular chair-burner office guy just because want to help my chief to don't lose his head doing thousands things at same time.

THAT'S the point of me wanting OPTIONAL suscriptions to being bring on the table, so no one must wait for unknown time for some random guy doing some plugin and for unknown reason it's author disappear for good leaving thousands of bugs behind just due their lack of support of a whole community.

Optional suscriptions helps VASTLY any Software company by A LOT! Helps improve the service for more exigent customers, saves loads of bucks for those that even just want few advanced features or all them, and most importantly, HELPS GIVING SUPPORT TO ALL WORKERS OF THE ENGINE AND GROW, NOT ONLY AS AN ENGINE, BUT ALSO AS A COMPANY AND AS A COMMUNITY AT THE END!

Jesuschrist. Please just kill me already.

nio kasgami

VampCat
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
RMMV
okay buddy go take a sip or something you need to chill you not providing to the conversation AT ALL by doign that so chill and write politly and calmly lol.

not to fuzzy the person who is swearing.

ICF-Soft

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Having the optional subscriptions requires to have the optional content for subscribers on beforehand and appart from regular users, and making it requires what I've said before and doesn't guarrant success.

Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
N/A
We used to have an optional subscription service for resources. It performed REALLY badly.
Really? I want to know more about it. Can we talk by PM?

And sorry if I started to get aggressive, but when I feel like none fully reads me, I start losing the patience.

Having the optional subscriptions requires to have the optional content for subscribers on beforehand and appart from regular users, and making it requires what I've said before and doesn't guarrant success.
I think that the problem is precisely this, think so much in the content beforehand.

But before keep discussing this point, I want to know the past system of suscriptions that Touchfuzzy says, what has it included, approximately in a scale of 1 to 10 how much was being sold, etc, because I deeply think that if it wasn't performing right, is because something wasn't done well, or simply it was too soon to exist.

A software of the company I work was completely useless despite being sold just per month suscription, and when Covid started we got so many customers in just three months and my chief changed the price to a stupidly cheap yearly suscription, and we have now a very known chain of hotels with presence even in Dominican Republic in our hands, yeah, just three months, and our service to them are exactly same as basic service, but even higher discounts due being a big customer. What I want to say with this, is that, sometimes, when something isn't a success, is either because it wasn't well performed, or was too soon and its chance to bright didn't reached yet.

EDIT: Forgot to add that, also due the investment on marketing my chief done plus the public relations and the new white-brand model, is precisely why our sales grew so much as 1200% in just three months.

Put an optional suscription service with low incentives to purchase it, plus lack of marketing and public relations about how important is that suscription, what the customer pay for (not just "hey extra content here just 9.99$/mo") doesn't success.

But if you make customers know that thanks of the suscription x authors are helped, y features will be released, z% funds goes to certain charity (also proving it,doesn't need to be a limited-time campaign like most companies does, a permanent help to childcare would be awesome, for example), make a blog exclusively talking about the news of the suscriptions, and, why not, invest some money in advertising GOOD (not mediocre marketing) not just new features but the RPG MAKER as a whole like being something completely new and different (which actually IS for the people that STILL DOESN'T know about it) showing images of biggest successes (with permissions of the creators, which knowing the community 98% of them would say "GO AHEAD!" without requesting a penny), etc... and obviously, if the content in exchange is good enough, which for now with extra resources already made and some already plugins is a good start, maybe restricting the access as a cloud service to suscriptions but allowing export them to those who do one-time purchase to each specific resource, I don't know. Surely, security measures to protect piracy would be developed later, like the advanced addons, big companies haven't born big at the start, how you do things is what determines your growth in short and long term, and specially, your patience (not like me that I get nervous too soon :p ), etc etc, I can guarantee it can success quicker.

Well better I try go sleep now its 3.20AM goodnight.

Last edited:

Drokkkon

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Touchfuzzy Hey friend, if it's not too much to ask, what about including in the base version of MZ a plugin that makes character a little bit taller for people who don't love that much chibi characters?

There's a japanese plugin that makes it [TN_SpriteExpander.js] and it's amazing, it's a simple plugin but very powerful. Would be amazing to choose if you want the characters chibi or a little bit tall with a click of a plugin in the base version.

If some japanese programmer can do a plugin like this, I'm pretty sure Kadowaka can too, right?

DoubleX

Just a nameless weakling
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Chinese
Primarily Uses
N/A
9.99$/mo = Access to RPG Maker engine (updates every month).
12.99$/mo = Access to RPG Maker + up to 50% discount on selected resources.
17.99$/mo = All of the above + free access to certain resources
24.99$/mo = All of the above + multiplatform port including ps4, etc.

OPTIONAL:
One-Time purchase for 99,99$ (includes all of the above) (UPDATES EVERY MONTH).
Still requires Internet connection to verify the ownage of the license.
My post is more long and consistent, your post is shorter and aims to a niche public and completely ignore again the fact that I FU**** MENTIONED to KEEP also the ONE-TIME PURCHASE. Result is clear, stop tricking my words. You just DON'T want have a SINERGY of BOTH one-time purchases for "casuals" AND OPTIONAL suscriptions to those who aims higher.
RPG MAKER software can STILL stay for casuals AND BRING advanced built-in features? Not enough money for that? Implement CHEAP suscriptions starting at 9.99$/mo to 24.99$/mo as much (obviously decreasing costs if customer pay a full year, like 179.99$/yr for the higher tier and 59.99$/year for the lower tier WHILE KEEPING one-time purchase of the engine FOR CASUALS like us, my friends.
I ****ING SAID TO KEEP THE ONE-TIME PURCHASE MODEL AND PUTTING SUSCRIPTIONS AS OPTIONAL FOR THOSE WHO WANTS MORE.

Hell, ****! Said it several times and I'm already tired to being treated like the evil of the movie.
TL;DR: I think that having subscriptions as well as One-Time purchase can work, but not in the foreseeable future, at least due to Covid-19, so even if RM will use this business model, it's unlikely to be done in MZ.

So let me expand a little bit on your idea regarding the subscription part:
Subscriptions can be upgraded at anytime(but only effective from the next month) but not downgraded
And the one time purchase counterpart:
One-Time purchase for 99.99$ = Access to RPG Maker engine (updates every month).
One-Time purchase for 129.99$ = Access to RPG Maker + up to 50% discount on selected resources.
One-Time purchase for 179.99$ = All of the above + free access to certain resources
One-Time purchase for 249.99$ = All of the above + multiplatform port including ps4, etc.
One-Time purchase can be upgraded by paying the price difference but not downgraded
All these are Still requires Internet connection to verify the ownage of the license.
Of course, these numbers can be adjusted if it turns out that they're not financially sustainable.

Now let's do some math:
1. Currently MZ costs 79.99$, and while MZ definitely deserves such a price, is already too expensive for some potential MZ users, especially for those having serious troubles due to Covid-19, and no one knows when it's going to be under control finally.
2. MZ users planning to use more than 10 months will go for the One-Time purchase.
3. Due to the below facts:
i. 2K's released on Apr 2000
ii. XP's released on Jun 2004
iii. VX's released on Dec 2007
iv. VXA's released on March 2012
v. MV's released on Oct 2015
vi. MZ's going to be released on Aug 2020
MZ's expected to last for at least 3.5 years, and maybe up to nearly 5 years(or even just breaking the record again).
4. As there are many RM users using the same RM for a long time(right now there are still quite some users using VXA), and even assume that MZ will just last for 3.5 years(42 months), it means that the subscription model can bring more than 4x the profit than the One-Time purchase, while many MZ users will go for the One-Time purchase instead.

All these mean that, in order for MZ to be financially sustainable, it needs to at least have a very small net profit even when most MZ users just go for the One-Time purchase, and in even more pessimistic views, most One-Time purchases are of the lowest 99.99$ tier, perhaps with a drastically decreased sales compared to the current 79.99$ pricing(if it's indeed feasible it means the best case will have such a large profit that it'll just seem to be too good to be true).
After all, it's just common sense for preparing for the worst, as it's better to be safe than sorry, and no one can guarantee that the worst case's so unlikely that it can be just ignored.
On the other hand, adding features supported by the upper tiers demands extra budgets, and probably sizeable ones, meaning that Degica/Kadokawa need to have quite some financial liquidity to be even able to take the business risk, and I don't have the numbers of their financial liquidity so I can't comment further on this one.
In order to expand the RM comfort zone without being reckless, it's only normal for a company to launch some kind of pilot projects - Something like a new RM(not being a flagship one like MZ) or a paid MZ DLC supporting subscription as well, just to test whether the subscription model works THIS TIME(while it doesn't work in the past doesn't mean it doesn't work now, RM needs evidence that it'll have a reasonable chance to work this time either), but even that requires enough financial liquidity, and of course I don't know whether it's enough now or in the foreseeable future.

Now let's think of some possible scenarios:
1. Most MZ users are going to use MZ for a long time but still going for the subscription instead of the cheaper One-Time purchase in the long term, as they understand that it's an investment on the future, and it'll worth the cost given the fact that MZ will be even more awesome(with even more awesome resources as well now that some resource makers can take a very small share from the subscription) when the community invests on it, therefore everyone, including the MZ users, some MZ resource makers who can take a very small share from the subscription, and Degica/Kadokawa will be very happy for a very long time.
2. Most MZ users are going to use MZ for a long time but are just going for One-Time purchase right from the start, never even bothering the subscription, as they don't need/want or don't have enough money to invest on the future MZ improvements, causing Degica/Kadokawa to have serious financial troubles, eventually causing the whole community to have doubts on whether the whole RM thing and the community itself can even be sustainable, and some resource makers to feel that they've just tons of sunk costs in the form of resources for a RM with a dark future.
3. Most MZ users are going for the subscription, but most among them are just going in for a short time and never bothering with RM ever again, as RM has many features that are very useful for seasoned professional game developers but not the hobbyists(even veteran ones), and most of those hobbyists will conclude that MZ doesn't suit their needs, or it's not worth such a price, causing the MZ community to shrink a lot(but not the whole RM community due to the existence of previous RM versions), and this loss of members includes MZ resource makers, causing the decreased number of MZ resources and the increased number of unsupported ones, which can cause further trouble to those sticking to MZ.
In order to check which is the most likely, the community as a whole needs to check its own track records, and how to convert itself so the 1st case will become the most likely in case it isn't, instead of just thinking that the 1st one will be the most likely in the case of RM(even when that's the case in most 3A products, it didn't work in RM before, as mentioned by @Touchfuzzy).

So with the following Game Maker 2 pricing in mind:
1. 39USD for a 12 month license on Mac or Windows
2. 99USD for a permanent license on Windows, Mac and Ubuntu
3. 149USD for a permanent license on HTML5
4. 199USD for a permanent license on UWP or mobile(Android, Fire and iOS)
5. 799USD for a 12 month license on PS$, XBox One or Nintendo Switch
6. 1500USD for a 12 month license on all supported consoles
Let's try to adjust the numbers to see if anything changes:
3.99$/mo = Access to RPG Maker engine (updates every month).
5.99$/mo = Access to RPG Maker + up to 50% discount on selected resources.
7.99$/mo = All of the above + free access to certain resources
124.99$/mo = All of the above + multiplatform port including ps4, etc.
Subscriptions can be upgraded at anytime(but only effective from the next month) but not downgraded
One-Time purchase for 119.99$ = Access to RPG Maker engine (updates every month).
One-Time purchase for 179.99$ = Access to RPG Maker + up to 50% discount on selected resources.
One-Time purchase for 239.99$ = All of the above + free access to certain resources
No One-Time purchase for multiplatform port
One-Time purchase can be upgraded by paying the price difference but not downgraded
All these are Still requires Internet connection to verify the ownage of the license.
Now, except the multiplatform port case, the One-Time purchase is about the same as 30 month(2.5 years) subscriptions, so it seems that MZ will be more financially sustainable and the subscription model will be more attractive right?
But now compare the cheapest One-Time purchase, 119.99$, to 79.99$, which is the current pricing, it's clear that, even if subscriptions indeed works, it's likely too early to be introduced in the foreseeable future, at least probably not before Covid-19 is finally under control.
Alternatively, compare the subscription with the current MZ pricing, which is about the same as 20 month subscriptions, it means that at least some MZ users planning to use MZ for way more than 20 months will feel that even the 3.99$/mo subscription is still too expensive, at least compared to the current MZ pricing, so even such a cheap subscription can already have troubles.

Now let's talk about your original One-Time purchase:
One-Time purchase for 99,99$ (includes all of the above) (UPDATES EVERY MONTH)
I agree with @Touchfuzzy that in this case it's no way even close to being financially sustainable, otherwise I'd wonder why Game Maker 2 can have the balls to charge so much on console supports, and quite some Game Maker 2 users think that those subscriptions deserve such a high price.
Of course, if the One-Time purchase doesn't include multiplatform port, then 99.99$ might work, but it's still more expensive than the current 79.99$, and I don't think MZ will have the balls to increase the price after Covid-19 is finally under control(it'd at most release a paid DLC later on) :)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

being able to transition music seamlessly is amazing. my main character's theme has lyrics and it goes from vocal version to istrumental when he leaves his room. and vice versa. and thanks to a plugin, the transition is seamless. I love it.
All of the auditions for our game are so good, I'm so glad I'm not in charge of choosing completely. lol I just can't with some of them. I listen to them on repeat. XD
Working on a Patch to integrate AlphaABS into random generated Dungeons. Was a bit tricky, but the outcome is a real Life Changer!!

Will release it the next days!
Been pretty busy... but I got a better headset for recording and listening today. Dad says that he'll consider taking me to Great Wolf Lodge for the first time once I finish summer classes (my final semester!) I'll be taking my plushie friends with me: Bendy, Lolbit, and Helen Henny. (I WUV PLUSHIES!)
SF_Monster3,4 added!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mezzy