RPG Maker MZ, Preview #4: Event List, System Tab Options, New UI, Release Date & Price!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GethN7

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
@Touchfuzzy Thanks for answering my question on the map sizes. I presume the database sizes are the same too, correct? If so, works for me.

Anyway, tell the guys who worked on this thanks, they earned my continued patronage of RPG Maker projects. That goes for you too for being so upfront about all the information provided thus far.

K2loid

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Just remembered that you mentioned that there was a workaround for setting paths on tilesets... so importing a project into MZ, copying from the converted property (and probably resave it for the sake of speed)? I'm into it.

So what's left to reveal...Tileset editing, probably? Preorder detail (including bonuses)?

TheTitan99

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Everything is looking pretty good here! I guess the final thing I'll need to see is just... general performance. I remember MV having some performance issues, some lag spikes, some BGM delays before playing. These kind of turned me off from wanting to use the engine too much on commercial projects. If all that has been sorted out with the core scripts being rewritten, MZ could be quite a good engine!

Here's hoping this can be the best one yet!

Ilithianeae

dont use my moo-cow face, please! ^-^
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
hooooo? what did i read? i could put my game into rm-mz? that is definitely interesting!

but still...

@Touchfuzzy
you havent answered my question: will there be a steam-os/linux client for the rm-mz?

Drokkkon

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Touchfuzzy do you know if the tall characters [ dark fantasy patch ] are even considered for MZ?

I mean, so many people just love them, no one even think about a patch for tall characters? :(

Hudell

Dog Lord
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Java's Crypt
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Letting the player decide the resolution is essential these days, so I guess people will still need a plugin for that.

Touchfuzzy

Rantagonist
Staff member
Lead Eagle
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Letting the player decide the resolution is essential these days, so I guess people will still need a plugin for that.
You either have to have multiple sets of all graphical resources, automatic scaling (REALLY not ideal), or lose control of the amount of the game world your player can see.

And the last one has many many design challenges.

Take a situation where in a cutscene, you spawn the graphics of a character just off the viewable screen then have them walk into frame. Now imagine that you won't know where the frame is going to be. You would need to have it be the farthest for the resolution you choose, at which point there would be a delay while you wait for the character to actually walk onto screen of someone who has a lower resolution, or every single event like that would have to be re-evented for every single resolution.

Or what about a dungeon map. There are advantages to being able to see more of it at once if it has any maze like aspects. Why would you want people who could turn their resolution up higher to have a different experience?

(There is a third choice, obviously, you can pick a native resolution of like 640x360, with a smaller tile size using plugins, and then scale only nearest neighbor to support 720p and 1080p, but you still could only support very specific resolutions.)

@Touchfuzzy technically, how this is done? How "RPG Maker MZ" process the audio? Also BGS delays are gone in a slow-network HTML5 game?
It no longer loads the whole file before starting, it streams the audio instead.

Eliaquim

Hakuen Studio
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese - Br
Primarily Uses
RMMV
that's nice!
I think the features that I have most enjoyed are the plugin ones and the event list.
Autosave is cool too, but there is a possibility to add an option in the editor for diagonal movements too? Like in Mv Trinity? I mean, not now, but in a future update?

Coelocanth

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Event list looks really useful, and the integration of basic MV plugins into the system2 tab lets projects start leaner.

How do the game menus scale with resolution?
Example: If making the window size 50% taller than default, would you get more visible actors on the main menu, or more space per actor, or blank space around the outside of the screen.
(I suppose the "UI area width/height" controls the last one)

If you make the window smaller than default, at what point will the menus stop fitting and need plugin work to redesign for a small screen?

Hudell

Dog Lord
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Java's Crypt
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
(There is a third choice, obviously, you can pick a native resolution of like 640x360, with a smaller tile size using plugins, and then scale only nearest neighbor to support 720p and 1080p, but you still could only support very specific resolutions.)
Doing this already covers the majority of resolutions and it's better than giving no option at all. Adding a second aspect ratio will add some work (with additional backgrounds), but not as much as it's only one or two extra tiles and it will then be covering almost every popular resolution.

Touchfuzzy

Rantagonist
Staff member
Lead Eagle
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Doing this already covers the majority of resolutions and it's better than giving no option at all. Adding a second aspect ratio will add some work (with additional backgrounds), but not as much as it's only one or two extra tiles and it will then be covering almost every popular resolution.
Yes but this only works if you completely abandon the established tile size. 640x360 is terrible for 48x48 tiles.

Hudell

Dog Lord
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Java's Crypt
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Yes but this only works if you completely abandon the established tile size. 640x360 is terrible for 48x48 tiles.
Makes sense, I haven't really worked with 48x48 yet.
And I meant it as a must for commercial games, nothing wrong with someone making a game just for fun and not including the option to change resolution, which is the usual case for most people who use rpg maker.

Shaz

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
if they do MZ like they did MV, I'll gladly hand over my Steam key
If you mean providing one key that works in the standalone and also activates the Steam version, you can't give the steam key away to someone else. You have one license, not two, and only one person can use it.

Maliki79

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
If you mean providing one key that works in the standalone and also activates the Steam version, you can't give the steam key away to someone else. You have one license, not two, and only one person can use it.
Noted.

Jenova

Because you are...a puppet!
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Welp. I'm sold. I just have no idea whether or not i will be able to afford this yet. I prob will when the 20th comes along. Never know.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Got any suggestions?

Here is my valiant and beloved captain
of the space cruiser ROSTOV.
Made a video showcasing a plugin (by Triacontane) that allows us to summon a relative touchpad/analog stick wherever we touch on the game's screen. (Mostly for mobile RPG Maker games.)

EmptyVoid_ wrote on Leporine's profile.
Just letting you know that I have written a PM to you.
Testing testing. First time doing this.

What are we, facekook?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KuroZer0