RPG Maker MZ, Preview #6: MV Trinity Resource Pack Previews!

Status
Not open for further replies.

felsenstern

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Someone said Cyberpunk Tiles? In which pack would they be and where could I see how these tiles look like?

Alexandr_7

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Russian
Primarily Uses
I hope MZ no longer copies the entire RTP to the project folder.
It would be much better to copy the RTP on export rather than on creation. It also saves you the trouble that unused resource exclusion excludes used resources in plugins. I hope this has been fixed, but something tells me not. Not fixed.

Plus it also saves disk space for those with 10-20 projects. I have 11 GB of space for MV projects. And for the most part, these are 100 copies of the same resources.

Xelion

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Not true. MZ uses WebGL render mode which is hardware GPU accelerated; integrated GPU’s older than a few years will struggle, and so will some newer ones, depending on the model.
The one he showed is a 4th gen one from a i5, an intel HD 4400. As long as it's compatible the only bottleneck would be the CPU. Just answer specifically for the guy's hardware, let's not confuse him.

Edit:
Not to post again, I'd like to add I checked one of the JP demos in my PC at work which has a i7-2600 with an AMD Radeon 6670 (a dedicated midrange videocard from 2011, but probably better than most integrated ones) and 8GB, and it ran at fluid 60 fps.
Anyway, what I considered an important detail is that it has a 64-bit Windows 7 so even if it's not the program itself, we can at least 100% confirm that MZ games run without the need of Windows 10 which was indicated as a minimum requirement and some people were worried about it.
If I can do it later, I'll try to check one of the demos on an old desktop PC with an i5-4460 and Intel HD 4600.

Last edited:

Maliki79

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
While I agree that it would be nice to have the files used from one location, I'm afraid of what would happen if those files were to get corrupted. I'd rather have the main copies stay untouched rather then the alternative.

Shin Kitsune

KITSUNE Game Design
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
ENG/SPA
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I agree entirely. Every time a new project is created, the entire RTP is copied and that uses > 1 GB of space in the disk. And most of these files are not used in the game itself. Would still be better to either include the files you will use when packaging the game, or have it the old fashioned way, and have the end user download the RTP themselves.

ghorba96

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
Italian
Primarily Uses
N/A
I was wondering, will the tools like Gene, Sakan and Mado work on MZ? Or will we have to buy them again if we want to use them? (if they'll even come out for MZ)

Xelion

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
It would be much better to copy the RTP on export rather than on creation. It also saves you the trouble that unused resource exclusion excludes used resources in plugins. I hope this has been fixed, but something tells me not. Not fixed.

Plus it also saves disk space for those with 10-20 projects. I have 11 GB of space for MV projects. And for the most part, these are 100 copies of the same resources.
I think it was confirmed before that it copies them the same as MV, but Touchfuzzy also mentioned that the size of MZ projects were decreased a lot as most images were much better optimized and by the removal of m4a audio files.
So projects should be created faster and take less disk space, at least.

Lion Blade Soler

Autistic Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I preordered RPG Maker MZ days ago and before checking out the game samples, and after seeing the inside of the game samples, I have to say that I have no regret preordering MZ and can hardly wait to try out RPG Maker MZ. Later on, I will play one of the game samples to see that MZ-made game in motion, but for now, I'll say that I liked what I saw when it came to the MZ resources. Although, I wonder if the core scripts will be changed before the release of RMMZ to a coding format similar to what was shown on the plugin tutorial, which I wouldn't mind as that would make the code from the core scripts look cleaner (in my opinion).

Battle with big human enemies vs the tiny player heroes looks kinda silly lol
Didn't you play Final Fantasy IV (especially as Final Fantasy II for the SNES in the US)? That game and couple other 16-bit JRPGs for the Super Famicom/SNES had big humans fight against small player characters, so what you saw on the screenshot of the RPG Maker sideview battle was/is nothing new.

EDIT - To the ones that are concerned about the MV Trinity tilesets not matching up with the MZ tilesets, there may be a way to make them match up as that was a concern to me as well. The one catch is that you may have to use Photoshop, but it doesn't have to be the latest version of the software as there are older versions of it (like Photoshop CS3) that have the ability to convert an image layer to Smart Object. In some cases, it looks as if increasing the contrast of a MV tileset will be more than enough, so creating a Brightness/Contrast Adjustment Layer and placing it on top of the tileset layer will do the trick; by making the adjustment layer a separate entity instead of a clipping mask, the layer becomes universal, so you can add multiple tilesets of the same type on one Photoshop project and have the tileset layers share the adjustment layer. Now, there may be cases that you will need more than increase the contrast of a MV tileset and may need to sharpen the tileset. That's where Smart Object comes into play. You will have to convert the tileset layer into a Smart Object, and once that's done, you will be able to use Smart Sharpen AND have full control of Smart Sharpen (especially have the ability to delete the Smart Sharpen filter if you don't feel good about it). With Smart Sharpen, I recommend Amount at 25% with the Radius at 48 pixels.

Last edited:

Alexandr_7

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Russian
Primarily Uses
I think it was confirmed before that it copies them the same as MV, but Touchfuzzy also mentioned that the size of MZ projects were decreased a lot as most images were much better optimized and by the removal of m4a audio files.
So projects should be created faster and take less disk space, at least.
Yes. But they just promised to increase the RTP itself. Namely, the amount of resources. Or what. It was about paid DLC and not about increased RTP. Well, then the developers blatantly lied about the largest package of built-in resources that ever came out in RPG Makers. And even so, it was much more convenient when exporting to import the RTP involved, which would solve a lot of problems. And the Steam versions have nothing to fear about data corruption, because Steam can restore them at any time, or if they bought from an official store, then reinstalling RPG Maker MZ is not a problem.

And I'm wondering. Since they removed the M4A, it turns out that he was not needed. As far as I know, M4A is used on some platforms. And it turns out well. Now MZ puts a bolt on these platforms or why was it introduced into MV then?

antega34

Anthony
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I didn't see this mentioned yet (and my bad if it has) but the sample game comes with almost all the RTP and most of it looks absolutely beautiful! Especially loving the new actors.
But just wanted to confirm if this was an error or intentional that it came with it? Obviously I assume it can't be used until it is officially released/purchased but felt that might be worth pointing out to in case it was a mistake and not meant to be shared.

Tsukihime

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Not true. MZ uses WebGL render mode which is hardware GPU accelerated; integrated GPU’s older than a few years will struggle, and so will some newer ones, depending on the model.
Did they get rid of canvas mode?

K2loid

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Uhm... not to be a hater or anything, but the new actors in the open sample games...I am...not wowed

Well, that's a little unfair, I like the fantasy aesthetic on most of them, but the odd "I like to draw mecha" choices here and there... How so many of the character designs are generic soup to the point simply looking at more of them reduces the overall value of each character individually...

New motivation to getting MZ in my hands is to immediately push all the character models into something a little more distinct I can dig my claws into. Just because I am obsessed with RTP does not mean I have any respect for the source material whatsoever.

Also 6 actors who arent pale is.......certainly better than MV!

Ossra

Formerly Exhydra
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Tsukihime I am pretty certain that MZ only uses WebGL.

J-G

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I wish the battlers would at least come in actual human size lol seems silly having Chibis fight normal human sized characters

Heartless_Angel

Lv. 666
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
I wish the battlers would at least come in actual human size lol seems silly having Chibis fight normal human sized characters
To be honest, even octapath traveler does this nonsense... its only one of many tradional weird designs in rpgs... there many more things that make no sense at all, or are just bad game design.
And they are still done till this day, because they are tradion...

Since I am bored let me give you a tiny example of a fail in logic of rpgs...
You have been poisoned in battle... you got an item "antidote" it takes your turn and heals it...
But the enemy will instant damage and poison you again... endless loop... stupid design...

Easy fix: Antidote also cures a few % HP and gives atleast 3 turns immunity to poison...
This way the item would be used by the player more likly and actually be worth a damn...
And you also fixed the loop...

This also happends with other examples like the oh so glorified rng in rpg games...
Levels and Rng + bad damage forumlars always breaks rpgs... been ages I played a balance one...
But it is tradion... so most devs keep doing that, same goes for that stupid large sprites vs chibi...

So all you can do... if you not like the way most people do things or tradion does things...
Break out of it yourself, make the game you want, the way you want.
And be an example for future rpgs and devs, so they may learn from your vision.

The Stranger

The Faceless Friend
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
British English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Heartless_Angel Similar thing with bosses being immune to status effects. Then you also have nonsense such as status effects only applying half the time, being fairly weak when they are finally applied, and being tied to skills that do nothing but attempt to apply said status effects. A lot of wasted turns in older JRPGs. lol.

However, as you said, we don't need to stick to these old traditions of game design.

Xelion

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Yes. But they just promised to increase the RTP itself. Namely, the amount of resources. Or what. It was about paid DLC and not about increased RTP. Well, then the developers blatantly lied about the largest package of built-in resources that ever came out in RPG Makers. And even so, it was much more convenient when exporting to import the RTP involved, which would solve a lot of problems. And the Steam versions have nothing to fear about data corruption, because Steam can restore them at any time, or if they bought from an official store, then reinstalling RPG Maker MZ is not a problem.

And I'm wondering. Since they removed the M4A, it turns out that he was not needed. As far as I know, M4A is used on some platforms. And it turns out well. Now MZ puts a bolt on these platforms or why was it introduced into MV then?
The amount of resources can still be bigger than MV's even if the whole resource size is lower.

M4A audio files were used for mobile export. I think they said now OGG works for that too, but I can't really say what's the technical reason.

MerlinCross

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
People bashing on the tiny PCs fighting big battlers.

Personally I don't mind it myself given I'm a fanboy of the old games though I wish they would make it a tad easier to put in large sprites or more frames for battle.

An "Either or" option is all I'm asking for.

TypicalPlayer82692

Spooky Boi
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
It's kind of funny seeing the little chibi warriors face off against normal enemies 3 times their size.

I'd probably get this on some sort of sale though, but I couldn't guarantee when that would be for a new release such as this. Maybe the first opportunity would be around Christmas this year?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Stream will be live shortly with a surprise session of the Interactive Text Adventure! Feel free to drop by!
MZ life hack of the day: using unnecessary sparams (MP cost and Floor damage) for custom stats for Visustella’s core engine.
I'm working on Juzu the Fox right now and had a great idea. I'll try to add Crystal Temples to the game! These function a lot like the ring pieces and their barriers in Dark Deception, holding the realm together. After finding all the key charms, you must enter the Crystal Temple and defeat the beast guarding it.
I thought too much about improve mechanic while forget that I actually just want focus on a simple story.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PK_Brody