RPG Maker MZ, Preview #6: MV Trinity Resource Pack Previews!

Status
Not open for further replies.

DoubleX

Just a nameless weakling
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Chinese
Primarily Uses
N/A
Maybe RM should just hire you guys as well :)

nio kasgami

VampCat
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
RMMV
pfft doubt they would. but I will try to push the manual documentation change once it's done.

Shaz

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Can the animation files be loaded back into Effekseer so we can see how they're made and modify them?

Shaz

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Cool - I thought there was some export function that put it into a different format.

Proxxie_Desu

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
for make people happy I think + making the typescript me and Kino are documenting the whole CODE base
That resource you and Kino made has been a HUGE help. I consult it all the time when I'm writing stuff. Glad to see it'll be present for MZ as well :LZSjoy:

nio kasgami

VampCat
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Haaha thanks but mostly kino did the mv one.
I am the one in charge of the mz one tho and kino is doing an haxe version

Vanilla Cheesecake

Cheesecake Demon
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
You two are doing a great service! I enjoy Typescript a lot. Much appreciated!

Galenmereth

Retired
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
I think it would be easy if plugins aren't marking static paths as required assets.

What I'm more concerned with is when the filenames are specified by users, or the filenames are generated dynamically at runtime. Not much you can do there in general
Plugins can, during local runtime, write to and create files on disk. Some of my MV plugins made index files to be used in published games that might run on a server and not have access to the file-system, instead referencing the index file to figure out where the files it should load were found. And example would be the preload manager plugin.

It should be possible to auto-generate the markup for required assets that are dynamically created (for that plugin) by users. Worth looking into when MZ launches.

Parallax Panda

Got into VxAce ~2014 and never stopped...
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Swedish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hm, I just realized that if I can't run MZ on my somewhat old cheap laptop, then that means potential players can't either!

I'm sure there's people playing RM games on even worse systems than what I have too... :kaoswt:

The Stranger

The Faceless Friend
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
British English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Parallax Panda We had the same problem when MV was released. People complaining that it didn't work, or ran poorly (outside of the initial MV performance problems), because they assumed it'd work on their old machines as every other RPG Maker had prior. They assumed that something that only uses 2D sprites would run on anything, but they were wrong.

Aesica

undefined
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
People bashing on the tiny PCs fighting big battlers.

Personally I don't mind it myself given I'm a fanboy of the old games though I wish they would make it a tad easier to put in large sprites or more frames for battle.

An "Either or" option is all I'm asking for.
I don't mind partial chibis, like the Dark Fantasy "tall" character style. In fact, I think it looks great and still captures that oldschool FF nostalgia. The standard-sized RM chibis though? They're too squat and as such, much of the details for their clothing, motions, etc is lost because of that. They're like all head.

Since MZ didn't move on from that atrocious style, I guess I just have to hope that the next RM after MZ finally does. They're easily replaceable though, so at least we have that. ;)

MerlinCross

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I don't mind partial chibis, like the Dark Fantasy "tall" character style. In fact, I think it looks great and still captures that oldschool FF nostalgia. The standard-sized RM chibis though? They're too squat and as such, much of the details for their clothing, motions, etc is lost because of that. They're like all head.

Since MZ didn't move on from that atrocious style, I guess I just have to hope that the next RM after MZ finally does. They're easily replaceable though, so at least we have that. ;)
Not as easily replaceable. Well at least I don't think so. It's a tad annoying/hard to keep within the 64x64 sprite box.

There's so many plug ins for the enemy but I've seen few plug ins to help animate/improve the sprite functions of the PCs.

Though I do agree, this should have been an option, pick chibi or a taller style.

Trihan

Speedy Scripter
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
The fact is that the problem of copying RTP to the project folder remains. The problem is that the function exclude unused resources can also exclude resources used by plugins. Which makes it impossible to use it together with file encryption.
And this cannot be fixed. To prevent this from happening, all the resources in the plugins must be indexed, but no one is doing this and most plugins do not specify these parameters. Which leads to the fact that resources are considered unused.
The tkool guide on writing plugins actually covered this:

If you are loading images directly in your plug-in, you may find that you want to exclude the unused files if you check Exclude unused files when performing the deployment.
For example

・Image_1.png in the img/pictures folder
・Image_2.png in the img/system folder
-Img/example folder image_3.png *

Is the code to refer to each.

let b1 = ImageManager.loadPicture("image_1");
let b2 = ImageManager.loadSystem("image_2");
let b3 = ImageManager.loadBitmap("img/example/", "image_3");

*This is an example of specifying an example folder that does not exist by default due to the plug-in description.

However, the image will be deleted as it is.
If the image file to be used is fixed, please describe the required file after @requiredAssets.

* @requiredAssets img/pictures/image_1
* @requiredAssets img/system/image_2
* @requiredAssets img/example/image_3

Galenmereth

Retired
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
The tkool guide on writing plugins actually covered this:

If you are loading images directly in your plug-in, you may find that you want to exclude the unused files if you check Exclude unused files when performing the deployment.
For example

・Image_1.png in the img/pictures folder
・Image_2.png in the img/system folder
-Img/example folder image_3.png *

Is the code to refer to each.

let b1 = ImageManager.loadPicture("image_1");
let b2 = ImageManager.loadSystem("image_2");
let b3 = ImageManager.loadBitmap("img/example/", "image_3");

*This is an example of specifying an example folder that does not exist by default due to the plug-in description.

However, the image will be deleted as it is.
If the image file to be used is fixed, please describe the required file after @requiredAssets.

* @requiredAssets img/pictures/image_1
* @requiredAssets img/system/image_2
* @requiredAssets img/example/image_3
The challenge with specifying them static like that is that what if you let the user select assets via plugin configuration, as is possible with the plugin param type specifications? You can solve this -- as I mentioned briefly -- as a plugin developer by writing these dynamically to an included plugin file during playtest using node's filesystem commands, however. I might make a tutorial and a minimal code snippet once MZ releases; I've done this in MV already for a personal plugin.

Trihan

Speedy Scripter
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Oh yeah, I wasn't saying that solves the user-selected files issue, but it's at least something. :p

DoubleX

Just a nameless weakling
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Chinese
Primarily Uses
N/A
I'm interested in whether the default RMMZ codebase will be further improved upon launch, or whether there will be minor/no changes from the current 0.9.5, especially on the code quality aspect, where I think it can become even more friendly to some plugins trying to add/edit/remove some features :)
While I'm already seeing quite some drastic improvements from MV in terms of implementation codes, I hope MZ can do at least a bit more in this right direction, even though I know it's just 11 days before launch :D

TWings

The Dragon Whisperer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
RMMV
what if you let the user select assets via plugin configuration, as is possible with the plugin param type specifications?
I'm not sure about MZ, but assuming it's like MV, there's the "@require 1" setting for that case.

Proxxie_Desu

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I'm not sure about MZ, but assuming it's like MV, there's the "@require 1" setting for that case.
In MV, '@require 1' also requires the '@dir' parameter to work. That is, you must hardcode a directory, which keeps it from being useful for a general-purpose 'include this in the compile' plugin.

Having a plugin write this data into a plugin using '@requiredAssets' does seem to be the best method to handle this in a general way. I'm interested to see @Galenmereth 's snippet; this was a problem I intended to solve, but it kinda got put on the back burner.

Edit: If you know ahead of time the stuff you'll need to manually include will be in a specific directory, '@require 1' is fine. But if you want something general purpose you'll need another approach.

Last edited:

TheTitan99

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I imagine there will be, but has it been stated if MZ will offer free trials like previous RPG Makers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Ok i got the model New and I will develop a little more, I think my SV is not beautiful yet.
"I, Giorno Giovanna, have a dream". In all seriousness, spatial BGM feature is now complete for my audio plugin.
Stream will be live shortly with some game development followed by the return of the Interactive Text Adventure after a short hiatus! Feel free to drop by!
Lately, I've taken to smashing random nouns/verbs together as insults. It's sort of amusing how many people don't really know how to respond to that. You bottle shaker!
Would be nice to pick color code that is not exclusively for message event

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Avaross