How strongly do you agree/disagree: I still feel like MV is better than MZ due to available plugins.

• Disagree Strongly

Votes: 21 13.6%
  • Disagree

Votes: 35 22.7%
  • Neutral

Votes: 29 18.8%
  • Agree

Votes: 30 19.5%
  • Agree Strongly

Votes: 39 25.3%

• Total voters

Aerosys

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
german
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
1. If you are using RPG Maker MZ for your current game, what plugins are you using?

not moved yet, I'm still working on JS functions that are independent from MV / MZ

2. If you have not moved to RPG Maker MZ at this time: How much is the plugin landscape (number of plugins for MV vs MZ) a part of that decision?

It's the only reason I haven't moved yet (besides the reason from #1)

3. What plugin creator has produced the most impactful plugins across MV and MZ for your development?

Yanfly, MogHunter, Blizzard, the one from MV3D (in that order)

4. What plugin available for RPG Maker MV would you like to see remade for RPG Maker MZ?

UltraMode7, MV3D

5. What area of RPG Maker MZ do you feel still needs more plugins (Character Progression, Message System, Battle System, UI, Movement, etc.)?

see #4, UI is always good I think

6. If you could have one plugin created for MZ that doesn't currently exist (either existing for MV or completely original) what would it be?

Questlog

SigmaSuccour

Dogmatic
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Urdu, English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
1. I'm using MVZ. Meaning, while I use MZ's editor to make the game, I'm using MV's corescripts instead, to keep MV's library of plugins working. (So I have not fully converted to MZ. Only half, you could say.)

2. In my current project, I'm using around 150 non-battle plugins, that I've picked from a collection of 2000-3000 MV plugins. These plugins are not just installed, but are working together and being fully utilized.

So we're not only talking about these plugins existing. But also, being compatible together. (If a plugin with one feature does not work. I simply pick an alternative plugin that does the same thing, which might be more compatible.)

3. Ben Hendel-Doying, Kameo (Kamesoft, Futokoro, Triacontane, Suppon, Moghunter, Sasuke Kannazuki, Exhydra, tomoaky, Akumu Games, Creta Park, Galv, Khas, Sanshiro, Boris "Blizzard" Mikić, SumRndmDde, Dan "liquidize" Deptula, Otobuki Nekoma and... the list is long.

4. I can list them. (There's a plugin in MV that creates a log file of all the plugins I'm using in my project. I can just paste the result from it.)

<Mihil_tweaks>
<Chau_SceneStabilizer>
<KeepCharacter>
<YEP_SaveEventLocations>
<Tweet>
<OrangeRegionCollisions>
<Tiny_PopUpIcon>
<SRCrazy_TimedBarDisplay_Edit>
<Trb_TextColor>
<MOG_AnimatedText>
<CaeX_MogAniTextPropFont>
<SoR_ChapterEyeCatching>
<kz_CGallery>
<upp_charProfile>
<SpecularReflectionSprite>
<ZE - Key Mapper>
<AutoHideMouse>
<SAN_TouchAnimation>
<MOG_DestinationPointer>
<SceneGlossary>
<AltGlossary>
<bentelk_NoMenuBlur>
<Remove weapon armor key>
<NYA_SceneItemAddInfo>
<KMS_AccelerateFileScene>
<sai_Scenefile>
<RemoveOptions>
<FullscreenShortcut>
<SRD_FullscreenToggleOption>
<YEP_FpsSynchOption>
<Cae_TileAnimRate>
<AKUNOU_OptionBase>
<AKUNOU_OptionWindowOpacity>
<AKUNOU_OptionGauge>
<AKUNOU_OptionWindowColor>
<AKUNOU_OptionAutoMessage>
<Cae_VolumeChange>
<SRD_FontOption>
<MRP_DefaultFontColor>
<SaveName>
<SkipTitle>
<sensor_selfswitch>
<KMS_AreaEvent>
<NearEventSensor>
<KMS_QuickNotification>
<TMPoyoWindow1>
<Ossra_Window-MessageFade>
<MessageUnlockBusy>
<FTKR_ExMessageWindow2>
<Cae_FaceOnRight>
<MessageWindowHidden>
<MessageWindowPopup>
<FTKR_MessageWindowLines>
<SupponTextFilter>
<WindowManager>
<SoR_GabWindow_Right>
<Ticker>
<AO_BalloonWindow>
<MessageAlignmentEC>
<MOG_CharParticles>
<MOG_CharacterMotion>
<MOG_CharShatterEffect>
<DiffuseEffect>
<SoarPhotonEffect>
<MOG_Weather_EX>
<MpiGetMapImage>
<YKNR_SnapshotExporter>
<MPP_HiddenPassage>
<Eli_FixAnalogMove>
<SAN_AnalogMove>
<QPlus>
<QSpeed>
<TMNamePop>
<QuasiQuickTouch>
<GFDCtrlZAddon>
<master2015hp_yepGridFreeDoodads_addon>
<PhantomEvent>
<MPP_MapLight>
<AG_CharacterNoisySteps>
<bentelk_Spin>
<GALV_MoveRouteExtras>
<Shaker>
<DP_SmoothSettings>
<Wataridori_ModifyZoom>
<FixZoomRange>
<GALV_CharacterAnimations>
<GALV_CharacterFrames>
<RiP_UnlockedCamera>
<GALV_CamControl>
<Exhydra_BasicShadows>
<YKNR_SlideInformation>
<Chau_Simple Popups>
<TMWindowCaption>
<KhasCore>
<KhasGraphics>
<KhasHintSystem>
<ALOE_PlayerNotepad>
<Navash_Sketchpad>
<Galv_ChoicePictures>
<POR_ScrollablePictures>
<TKM_ChoiceList>
<LargeChoices>
<ChoiceWithCondition>
<ChoiceListCancelSE>
<HzChoiceEvent>
<SAN_MapGrid>
<MpiBrightnessColorFilter>
<MOG_PixiFilters>
<bentelk_FixedPictureBelowMap>
<tintParallax>
<RS_SimpleCanvasFilter>
<ParticleEmitter>
<ScreenNoise>
<Olivia_HorrorEffects>
<MOG_Footsteps>
<RS_FastTransfer>
<TMRingCommand>
<MenuCallCommon>
<TMCommonEventKey>
<UltraMode7>
<AKUNOU_OptionMessageSpeed>
<bentelk_ActivateAnyAdjacentEvent>
<bentelk_QueueActionButton>
<plugin_list>
<AXY_ShowFPS>
<CustomizeConfigItem>
<SRD_BlinkingFaces>
<GradientWipe>
<SAN_TileToner>
<Olivia_MetaControls>
<SRD_TranslationEngine>
<minRPG_CustomizeGameSpeed>
<TMCloudDust>
<JitterFix>

I have removed the plugins I know have been ported. And the plugins that become unnecessary after upgrading to MZ, since MZ has that feature in-built.

5. Can't say. Plugin makers come up with features through plugins. I simply utilize some of those features in my games. If the plugin and the feature does not exist, I won't know about it, or utilize it. As I don't come up with features, I simply make use of what's already there. And what's already there in MV, is WAYYY too much than in MZ.
Here's a old list I made of all the MV plugins I have collected.

(This list is not updated. And the current count of MV plugins I have is around 6000+)

6. A plugin that uses a playing video as a parallax map that the player can walk on.

Extra notes: I'm probably not the target audience for this survey, since I already use MZ.
The reason I can't transfer over to MZ completely, is simply that my knowledge (with regards the plugins I'm using) cannot be realistically transferred from MV to MZ. (The fact I've spent months going through and testing thousands of MV plugins. And sorting them in categories that I can access easily with every project.)

And so, I see MZ as a boost to my MV project. (By using MZ's editor on my MV project.) That is all. I simply cannot fully transfer to MZ, after this sort of investment.
If plugins come out for MZ, with amazing features that I want to work with. (That are not available in MV) Then I will use MZ for a specific project, with those plugins, and then return to MV afterwards.

Conclusion:
  1. There is one way to sell MZ more: which is, make everything from MV transferrable to MZ. (So MV users can easily port over.)
  2. Another way, is to develop new features in MZ (with either plugins, or in-built) that cannot be done in MV. (So people like me, can switch between MZ and MV depending on the project.)
  3. And the third way to sell more MZ, is to simply bring up (in marketing) how MV users can open their MV projects with the MZ editor. And use some of MZ's features. (Like the layered mapping, event list, and other Qol improvements in the MZ editor.)

Last edited:

desertbriar

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
1. If you are using RPG Maker MZ for your current game, what plugins are you using?

n/A, but I'll likely use the ported plugins from creators in MV and Visu core when I do get MZ eventually

2. If you have not moved to RPG Maker MZ at this time: How much is the plugin landscape (number of plugins for MV vs MZ) a part of that decision?

I haven't moved to MZ for my current game because it would take too much work and put me in gamedev stasis, but I plan to use the engine in my next game because of the amazing quality of life improvements in the database, common evented action sequencing (tiny notebox in MV tests my patience everyday lol), and improved ported Yanfly plugins. I'm also waiting to see more plugins pop up after a few years (including a possible Luna Engine MZ for making professional polished looking ui).

3. What plugin creator has produced the most impactful plugins across MV and MZ for your development?

Yanfly, Irina, Olivia, Galv, Moghunter make up the majority of my plugin use

Notable mentions are Ramza, Mr_trivel, Moogle_X and Tsukimi for cool features

4. What plugin available for RPG Maker MV would you like to see remade for RPG Maker MZ?

MoogleX's Actor friendship system! It's really flexible, well documented and allowed me to replicate the FE support system/ Persona's social links with some extra features like gaining friend points after using certain skills.

5. What area of RPG Maker MZ do you feel still needs more plugins (Character Progression, Message System, Battle System, UI, Movement, etc.)?

Battle plugins would be the most important because it is a key feature of jrpgs and could be more fleshed out to set it apart from using other game engines for jrpgs. I feel like UI templates common in Jrpgs would also be neat and allow flexibility.

6. If you could have one plugin created for MZ that doesn't currently exist (either existing for MV or completely original) what would it be?

Hmmm creating a foraging/mining system where foraging events once consumed will stay empty until after resting at an inn or something ("passing time" auto respawns the loot) would streamline a lot of the work.

I have this system evented with variables and an event that resets the variables but it does take a bit of space in my variables list, is kind of a pain to do the event pages for, and keeping track of each of them may be hard later on lol.

I also think Earthbound's feature where mobs that are extremely lower level than you get auto killed instead of annoying the player would be a good plugin idea. I also have this evented but it is also kind of a pain to do/keep track of for each onmap enemy event in the long run.

The random level up/victory quotes from characters in the rpgmaker Ace Victory Aftermath (I think that's what it was) plugin were very cool and adds some flavor text, I think it could also be applied to death quotes and event tile quotes like FE Awakening. All of these can be combined into a single Randomized Quotes plugin.

Last edited:

Dalph

Nega Ralph™ (RM Tyrant)
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Italian Curses
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
YO

1.Galv, Yanfly - Visustella, Moghunter.
Note: I don't care what people think about Mog, his stuff is useful and it mostly works, and that's all that matters to me.
Everything else is irrelevant.

2. N/A
3.Galv, Yanfly, Moghunter.
4.Luna Engine.
5.UI, so again Luna Engine.
6.The plugin that will help me to finish my game for me. That would be cool.

I also wanna mention that I didn't even bother opening MV since when MZ came out, it feels so outdated and obsolete right now.

Jrrkein

Drago Royale
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesian
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Hi everyone. We're doing a short poll to try to determine the feelings that everyone has on the current state of Plugins for MZ.

If you can both vote in the poll question and then answer the following questions in the thread:

1. Mostly the plugins from this forum as well VS core plugins

2. I moved apparently still ranting about what do do with MV project that I working on. There is very little amount of plugins for MZ

3. Yes, Yanfly being most impactful their is even paying money for them
4. I would like quest system or achievement that exist here, though VS and one plugin doesn't look good on the eye and VS quest was one of them puzzling to do conditional branch which is missing

5. I really need more quest plugin or achievements for MZ, there is one that is catches my eyes like Quest System MV it's easier to do on the eye and both ways. Really love to see MZ port one day

6. Either a quest system that is easy and user friendly with every kit possible

XPKobold

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMXP
1. Not using MZ but have used the MZ trial to test out the defaults and so far will be an interesting purchase in the future.

2. I'm going to wait a while to move to MZ but there has been a problem with the plugins being relied on just one person which made it hard to try others.

3. There were a combination of other plugin devs. besides Yanfly and FROG Core. But for the MZ trial there's only one visuatella plugin i use which was very helpful to sort things out. (--------) the rest was the sample plugins.

4. Well the frog core plugins since you don't see much DnD content for RPG Maker and there can be interesting interaction with WRPG/JRPG Mechanics.

5. I'm not sure as of yet since even the standard plugins that came with MZ especially the JP plugins.

6. Not really sure as of yet.

Tea's Jams

I'm human
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ

TileD mostly, I will use more further into development. Definitely a follower plugin of some sort.

N/A Totally moved to MZ.

Yanfly/Visustella hands down. I love Tyruswoo's follower plugin too.

Tyruswoo's follower plugin

I'm a sucker for artsy fartsy cut scenes, so sound proximity plugins would be nice as well as image change/animation plugins.

Tyruswoo's follower plugin (EDIT** I see it exists for MZ, but I won't put my address and personal information into a personal website, which it requires to get it so, I guess I would want one like it that I can access )

Last edited:

jonthefox

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
Hi everyone. We're doing a short poll to try to determine the feelings that everyone has on the current state of Plugins for MZ.

If you can both vote in the poll question and then answer the following questions in the thread:

1. VisuStella and Fomar

3. Yanfly and VisuStella

4. show enemy stats during battle by pressing shift; display enemy TP bars

5. Battle System

6. A Tactical Battle system

ImaginaryVillain

High Cultist of the Sporkle
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Absurdism
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
1. N/A
2. 100%
3. Quxios
4. Particle Emitter
5. I'd say it just needs better built-in options, instead of relying on plugin devs.
6. A security plugin to protect my game.

At the moment, my game is literally not possible on RM MZ. But I upgraded to RM MQuxios ages ago, so I'm a few versions beyond MZ anyway. Let me know when it catches up. :LZSwink:

Kupotepo

Fantasy realist/Advocatus Diaboli
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Thai
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Visustella Plugins and Community Plugins: https://forums.rpgmakerweb.com/index.php?forums/js-plugin-releases-rmmz.184/

I am moving to RPG Maker MZ, but I have transferred to data from MZ lol which is not difficult to do. I have to put the data in the correct folders.

Yanfly is the most popular and making most RPG Maker MV plugins. Yanfly/VisuStella is most well-known around here for MZ however, Triacontane is an important figure in the plugin community too. Triacontane provides us with the launch plugins.

I am not sure yet. I came back to answer this.

I am not sure yet. I came back to answer this.

This one I think it would be unrealistically. A card battle system like Slay the Spire would great for me if that can be implemented.

Someone shows the road map of the execution, but I do not know.

Starmage

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
FIlipino
Primarily Uses
N/A

I am currently using most necessities and core VisuStella plugins on the MZ project I'm working on. Moghunter's eye candy plugins, and I also have plugins by talented members of the community like CT Bolt extra sprites, Community lighting by collaborative efforts of Terrax, iVillain, Aesica, Eliaquim, Alexandre, Nekohime1989, and Gabe footsteps and many more I plan to add if I find stuff I will need. :) I do have my eyes on Mushroomcake's audio engine plugin for future uses. :D

I have moved to MZ already, but there are still indeed tons of plugins on MV that arent on MZ right now... But to be fair, there are already so much plugins made by the community for MZ. :)

When I was on MV, Yanfly's were like necessities xD Moghunter's and Himeworks also were fun plugin makers I liked... Now in MZ I do love the selections of VisuStella plugins. With that said, I cannot overlook the tons of talented plugin makers you see here in the forums on the JS plugin board.

Seeing Himework's guest followers would be nice, as I recently made a request on this. xD I would also love to see Moghunter's Monogatari menu plugin for MZ soon. :D And the Tactical Fire Emblem-like plugins would be super neat to see on MZ too. Something I would love to see in the future. :D

I would love to see more variety for battle systems, that would be lovely. Thankfully, VisuStella team seems determined to add varieties of battle systems in their collection. :) More UI based stuff would be fun too as well.

A plugin I wish that existed in MZ? Hmm, aside from a Fire Emblem-like plugin, it would be amazing to see a Grandia-like battle system where positions are important and stuff. I loved that.

All in all, I just would love to see the RPG maker stuff to continue to evolve, improve and grow along with the community in time. :)

I chose Neutral btw, because I love MZ, but I also still find MV very viable and reliable if you dont have MZ.

Frostorm

[]D[][]V[][]D aka "Staf00"
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV

1. I have not migrated to MZ yet, so not applicable.
  2. 100%! I need a certain plugin before moving to MZ.
  3. Hmm...probably Yanfly lol.
  4. LeCode's TBS
  5. Battle System
  6. Same answer as #4: LeCode's TBS...that's basically the only thing holding me back from MZ.
Edit: I noticed others have stated that they want a tactical battle system for MZ. However, most seem to be looking for a Fire Emblem-style TBS. I do not, instead, I'd prefer a Final Fantasy Tactics-style TBS. Basically, I need individual turn order instead of the entire party acting followed by the enemy troop, and so on.

Shaz

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
After losing the MV version of my game and being stuck with Ace, I'm restarting in MZ. Tempted to use VisuStella because they cover pretty much all of what I had created myself for MV - just better :D Anything more specific for my game I'll make myself.

MZ = manual layers -> not moving to MZ was never a consideration

If I use them, it'll be the VisuStella team

SRD's hud would be nice

Menu / UI

I'd say a UI/menu system that will let you completely change the layout. Maybe this already exists and I haven't searched enough. But I'm wanting to do something way different - not just a visual makeover - so will probably do my own there.

tbh I don't keep track of what plugins are out there. So the above is just a small list of things that came to mind of plugins I'd use but don't want to have to make myself, and they might already exist.

Last edited:

Alexandr_7

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Russian
Primarily Uses
1. Many different ones. Mostly from DK and Galv
2. Moved to MZ although MV might still be a little useful due to plugins and license.
3.DK, Galv, Yanfly (But not his descendant Visy)
4. All plugins. There is no specific. Of the standard, then none for the standard of such a quality.
5. Definitely an Interface. Although ideally in all.
6. QTE but no one will cut the QTE that I need. I prefer with strips and a timer (also in the form of a strip) and in addition to the list visible on the screen, the number of these lists is also. Hard to explain. A good example is the QTE from the game.
Mad Father (Steam versions). By the way, I already made such a plug-in for MV, although I took the code of another QTE as a basis. But there is no mood to port to MZ, and it also does not work with the touch screen. With keyboard only.

D.L. Yomegami

Sanely Insane
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ

At the moment, Visustella's core plugins. Maybe I'll use the rest of that library or other creators' plugins if I ever get past the "tinkerer" stage into actually making a game, but for now that's it.

I have moved to MZ just because the performance is so much better (despite my laptop apparently not meeting the minimum requirements) and a bunch of little quality-of-life things (like not having to edit graphics just to change the font of the damage popups), but I have considered switching back to MV a couple times and still think it has merits of its own, and the plugin library is 100% the reason.

Yanfly/VisuStella. For MV SRD comes in second.

SRD's battle GUI plugins, which were probably the best option for a window-based UI editor other than the Luna Engine (which I never used because I only found out the required version of MV worked fine on my laptop recently and even then the asking price was just way too steep for what I'd use it for).

UI editing, definitely. While 99% of my tinkering's focused on the battle system, I feel the out-of-the-box options are mostly suitable for my purposes as of the current moment.

At the moment? I'd appreciate a plugin that brought back the "turn a switch on/off after an enemy uses a certain skill" functionality from 2000/2003 and expanded on it (like being able to run a common event instead of just a switch/variable). It'd open the door for a lot of fancier AI patterns than what's possible in out-of-the-box MZ, which are...really limited, especially when it comes to enemies that can move multiple times in a turn.

Also, everything Featherbrain brought up on the previous page is worth considering, if you ask me.

zzmmorgan

I've used punchcards
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ

At the moment I'm not using any plugins for MZ. I'm using a bit of inline javascript and may attempt to write my own plugins if that doesn't do the trick for my needs.

I've not moved heavily to MZ yet mostly because I have a project in MV I'm trying to complete.

Obviously Yanfly has been quite impactful due to the sheer number of plugins.

At the moment I'm not certain as every plugin I've used is not exactly how I want to do things which is why I'm testing out various ways of doing things.

Not sure although one thing I'm doing direct javascript from common events is movement which is working well enough for me I don't think I need a full-blown plugin.

I don't really know but if I think of one I'll try to write it myself :)

zerobeat032

Oh, it's that Zerobeat kid...
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
1. haven't moved over yet because vital plugins I need don't exist yet unfortunately.

2. HUGE... I'd move over if it weren't for plugins. the fact that A. a lot of what I need costs now and I absolutely just don't have the money right now. and B. even if I did, not everything I need is on MZ yet.

3. I'd say there's a few... Yanfly, Galv, SRDude, DK, DreamX, Triaconate, MOGHunter, Victor, Caethyrill(I can't remember the spelling sorry)... I can't pin it just one. I use a lot from all of these I listed. and other's I can't think of at the moment.

4. I can't think of any one so much as just the fact that there's so many little things we have for MV that we don't for MZ. If the following does exist, sorry I wasn't aware, but for me personally... Q-Sprite is an absolute must have since I'm not using any RTP stuff for characters.

5. I mostly feel MZ is fine on battle (if you've got the money for Visu stuff...), so for me, stuff involving presentation for characters, GUI, etc... tho, SRDude came out swinging with the new Hud Maker so there's that.

6. I can't think of a plugin that doesn't exist really... tho... a working Summon plugin would be good. I feel there's some stuff you just can't do with MV even and that's summon "depending" on how you wanna do it.

I will say it's awesome (and kinda not awesome for MV users lol) that people who just weren't doing plugins during the MV era are back and making MZ stuff. and I love how streamlined MZ plugins seem to be. I have MZ... but the only use it gets for now is running MV projects in it. maybe one day when more plugins are around and I've actually got money... I MIGHT switch over.

The Row

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Swedish
Primarily Uses

A: Currently just using RPG Maker like a toy, so not really making a game, but as for plugins I am using Vizu Core, EventMove, Message, Items. Aswell as TextPicture, ButtonPicture and my own WindowPlacement plugin(which I am still not quite happy enough to upload.)
The reason for these plugins is that I feel that RPGM is lacking in these options. I use alot of self variable, and call events when working, since I like the ability to move my stuff around, and these plugins allow me to work with the gui/hud and have more controll over my events, such as but not limited to more conditions and self variable/switches.

A: Frankly there is a few plugins I am missing in MZ, and I have thought more than once that I should go back to MV, but more so than plugins, it is the rtp, and badly implemented new features that is making me regret buying/moving over to MZ. A clear example is the ability to change the resultion to be alot bigger, but the troop screen seems not be able to place the npc in combat in the right place, causing me to dwelve into the project of making my own battle scene using events (yeah I do stuff like that for fun...)

A: Yanfly, both as Yanfly for MV and then the Visu teams translation of his plugins for MZ. SumRndmDde, hade a lot of fun and usefull plugins for MV. Then there is a few others with one or two that I looked into, but never really used to any mayor capasity. Galv, Yami, Hime to name some of them.

Hands down SumRndmDde's SuperToolEngine+HUDMaker and his Character Creator EX and the dynamicActors/MessageFaces addons for it.
It is a SHAME that RPGM doesn't allow for the editing for the HUD, 25%-75% of an RPG is spent in menus of one sort or another, be it battle menus or checking stats/changing gear, not being able to edit the HUD, with ease, which SumRndmDde's HUDMaker allowed is a crying shame. And I am not talking about changing boarders, I am talking about moving windows about, removing unwated features, changing portraits, hp/mp/tp bars and so on and so forth. A crying same.

Another plugin I want to get my hands on is Yanfly's dragonbone plugin for MZ, but it is right now behind a paywall... don't get me wrong, it is good enough (probably) to be worth money, but as a person that only dables and plays around with the program I would very much like to have a "simple" dumb version so that I could test and play with. A non-comercial version if you will as in a version that is free to use as long as you don't try to make money of your project that uses it.

A: I will be frank, I don't think RPG Maker needs alot of more plugins. What it needs is to have old plugins implemented into the core engine. These new parts could then be expanded upon with new plugins.
Right now RPG maker lacks UI tools, it has none. (I don't count changing the colour of an image a tool... Window.png). Yet every screen you navigate too has windows poping up in one form or another. Think about that, something that is ALWAYS present, can't be edited or changed without plugins. And most, if not all of them, only allow for very specific changes. Changing layout or colour, but not both or in anyway a complex form.

MZ might be "all the rage", "hot stuff" or what ever, but it is frankly just RPGM with new letters slapped onto the end for me. I read stuff changed under the hood, we got layers and a new system/animation screen... but I can't see the changes under the hood, and both layers and the new options on the system screen feels "meeh" at best.
MV had JS instead of Ruby, which for me was a HUGE game changer. It also came with sideview battlers. Comparing the change MV brought to the changes MZ brought is like night and day.
Granted we got the new animation screen, but it feels half done. Sure we can edit animations there, but what about when using "Show Animation" on an event, why can't I change the size? Speed or freeform place it?

A: I already mentioned some I want updated/Tranfered to MZ from MV, but there is one plugin I wanted to have since forever ago... The reason why I got my first RPG Maker and started playing around in it in the first place... and... well...
A Tactical Combat MAP plugin to allow for combat in style with Fire Emblem/Advanced Wars and/or TacticleOgre... which I want to make a D&D style gameplay... allowing you to move you characters around on a battle map one at the time...
If I could have one I would be one happy old man... especially if it came with an easy to set Enemy Unit AI.

7. Other comment:
3 Things...
1:st Thing:
MZ lacks (imho) an easy to follow video tutorial guide aimed at making plugins, with a good documentation to come with it.
With good enough documentation, and easy to understand instructions, that tells you not just the syntaxes but what they mean aswell as do, most people, once they get over the fear of the word "script" should be able to make their own small plugins to change minor things.
(If there is such a guide, that is updated and kept up to date, it should be added to the main page of RPGM as well as have its own dedicated button on the plugin screen in the program.)

2:nd thing:
If a ship has a gapping hole in the bottom, it is better to drag the whole thing ashore and fix it, rather than try to patch it up with paper mache. Which is basically what it feels like the plugins are currently trying to do. (Or what you/the devs are trying to do with plugins)
RPGM needs a total overhaul. There are features that are added half arsed, or just simply forgotten. Don't try to fix these with Plugins, fix the program. Instead of asking what plugin we want to see, ask what feature we want inside the base program!

3:rd thing:
I feel rpg maker MZ has good plugins, perhaps not as many, but with some gutsu and understanding on how the use the ones that are there MZ doesn't fall that far behind MV with what you can do, unless you use a very specific plugin.
Personally I don't think the plugin part is why people don't move from MV to MZ. Personally I think it is because there hasn't been enough changes to the core program, in combination to the backlash the RTP got on release. (Yeah it is bad compared to MV, to the point where I have considered overwriting all MZ assets with MV ones for my current hobby project, more than once I might add.)
MZ feels half assed, and with no huge eye turner, like MV's Javascript/browser support, or sideview battle option. I think that most people will stay with what they have. The new animation scene isn't enough, neither is layers as people learned to work around them using diffrent ways.

(Oh, and imo... some people might be turned off by the fact that there isn't as many "free" plugins comming out all the time... Yanfly sold MV copies. With his free plugins that expanded MV on an almost weekly basis. It was like a new expansion to a game you liked each and every month/week. It caused you to launch up rpg maker, play around with it a few hours and then wait for the next one. Fans that liked RPG Maker, be they hobbiest or game makers like/d that sort of thing. Giving them a huge reason to move over from old versions to MV.)

Nowis-337

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ

Currently using MZ - using plugins from VisuStella, Galv, Himeworks, Moghunter and some poorly-cobbled-together javascript I made myself.

Transitioned and ported my ongoing project to MZ. While definitely missing some functionality with less plugins available, it was a good opportunity to learn more javascript to make little tweaks here and there to suit my needs.

The VisuStella free core plugins I found are quite powerful with a lot of useful utility functions hidden inside. EventsMoveCore and MessageCore has almost become staples in my projects so far.

While I have yet to personally dive into it yet, SRD's Hud Maker Ultra from what I've seen so far opens up a lot of possibilities in creating custom menus and interfaces (does require a bit of creativity and effort on the users end).

Himework's Guest Followers plugin and Galv's timed popup messages.

Would be interesting to see different types of battle systems - tactical, cards etc. Himeworks has already made an interesting looking grid battle system.

A keyboard config / rebind for the options menu would be useful and applicable to a lot of projects.

estriole

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
indonesian
Did not have any project running for now... waiting for Moghunter Star Engine before starting new project... but i have made (and release) several plugins in MZ.

waiting for Moghunter Star Engine

MV: Yanfly, Moghunter, Tsukihime, Hudell, Galv, Victor Sant
MZ: same as above but in MZ I will avoid VisuStella (Yanfly) for now... only because of obfuscated code... the reason is it might be harder to make it compatible with other people plugins... i can do this move only because i can code the substitution plugin myself if necessary...

also Victor Sant look like not active anymore in MZ so no plugin from him too...

some

i waiting for Moghunter Star Engine... so Battle System :D.
other i can code myself...

Moghunter Star Engine

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

Another comic with Backstage Malak...
If you want to ask him anything, you can ask on my DeviantArt page! I'm not sure if you're allowed to do it here.
Forum tip of the day ...
If you get a temporary suspension for being a jerk to people who are trying to help you, and arguing with mods and admins, don't go making new accounts. Chances are, if you p**s us off enough to suspend you for a week, we're not going to hesitate giving you a permanent ban when you give us a reason.
E_6fAErVkAQILXu.png
I'm so close to releasing my game on steam! :blush::blush::blush:
Us:
"This game is awesome! I wish there are more games like this in the future."
Also us:
"I hate how games stopped being original and start copying other successful games."
Should've done this a few days ago but...
PRI_200136808.jpg
Rest in Peace, Sir Clive Sinclair
1940 - 2021
Entrepreneur, Technologist, Father of the Modern British Computing Industry, and protagonist of Legend of ZUN.

Without you, England's games and tech industry wouldn't be where it is.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
badalias